Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Officially Announce Training Camp Move to Richmond/Ashburn Renovations (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=48064)

GMScud 06-06-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Redskins Officially Announce Training Camp Move to Richmond/Ashburn Renovations

[quote=SmootSmack;920172]Redskins Park in Ashburn will be undergoing major renovations and expansions, over $25 million worth

I suppose it's possible this move to Richmond is temporary while these renovations are done over the next couple of years[/quote]

Yeah that's my guess. It's good though, Redskins Park has been in need of an upgrade big time. I always wondered why Danny would spend so freely on players and yet have such average facilities.

I never go to training camp anyway, the Richmond thing doesn't mean much to me. I know we have plenty of Warpathers down there, so I'm glad they'll get a taste of camp so close to home.

Chico23231 06-06-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Redskins Officially Announce Training Camp Move to Richmond/Ashburn Renovations

Update from the press conference:
RICHMOND, Va. --
1:30 p.m.

The Redskins are making an eight-year commitment to their summer training camp in Richmond, Gov. Bob McDonnell said at a briefing this afternoon.

McDonnell said the Redskins are also making their Loudoun County facility their permanent headquarters with a planned $30 million office building.

The governor, calling himself a 45-year Redskins fan, noted that his wife, Maureen, had been a Redskins cheerleader and said the move by the team cements a long relationship with fans in the state.

8 year commitment for camp. wow

[url=http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/news/2012/jun/06/11/redskins-will-move-summer-training-camp-richmond-ar-1970038/]UPDATE: 8-year commitment for Redskins camp in Richmond, governor says | Richmond Times-Dispatch[/url]

GMScud 06-06-2012 02:13 PM

[quote=Chico23231;920230]Update from the press conference:
RICHMOND, Va. --
1:30 p.m.

The Redskins are making an eight-year commitment to their summer training camp in Richmond, Gov. Bob McDonnell said at a briefing this afternoon.

McDonnell said the Redskins are also making their Loudoun County facility their permanent headquarters with a planned $30 million office building.

The governor, calling himself a 45-year Redskins fan, noted that his wife, Maureen, had been a Redskins cheerleader and said the move by the team cements a long relationship with fans in the state.

8 year commitment for camp. wow

[url=http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/news/2012/jun/06/11/redskins-will-move-summer-training-camp-richmond-ar-1970038/]UPDATE: 8-year commitment for Redskins camp in Richmond, governor says | Richmond Times-Dispatch[/url][/quote]

Wow. Alrighty then. Richmond it is.

SkinsHulk 06-06-2012 02:43 PM

It's an 8 year deal to be at Richmond. Redskin park ashburn must be undergoing some seriously epic changes. If anyone is familiar with other HQ around the league ashburn is very poor in comparison to the Jets/Ravens. Sucks to never make the trip to Richmond but I can't wait for 8 years from now. Possibly a megalithic RG3 statue upon entrance?

mooby 06-06-2012 03:09 PM

It shouldn't take 8 years for renovations to be complete. They are only hosting training camp in Richmond, the rest of the time they'll be at Redskins Park. Anybody know the estimated time for the renovations?

With that said, I like that they committed to Richmond for 8 years. Good for them, and good for the WPers down there too.

Ruhskins 06-06-2012 03:20 PM

I guess a trip to Richmond won't be too bad.

firstdown 06-06-2012 03:24 PM

I've never had the desire to go to training camp but at 1 1/2 hours away I might have to check it out.

Mechanix544 06-06-2012 04:15 PM

[quote=Chico23231;920183]Great campus...its a wooded campus in an older, established neighborhoods of Richmond. Unique campus for sure. You got really good spots close to the campus, The Fan, Museum district, and Carytowne, for food and drank.[/quote]

Carytown Burgers and Fries, and jamaica me crazy!!!!

Great food spots, my brother lives right off the VCU campus. He's really close, damn him. Maybe I could get a pcs to fort lee or eustis.........hmmmm

mlmpetert 06-06-2012 04:20 PM

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][quote=mredskins;920163]Get your EZ Pass ready![/quote][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]You summ bitch...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][quote=mooby;920165]Definitely not. Redskins Park has at least 3 fields from my recollection, not counting their new indoor facility. From what I remember they only used 2 for practice, but that's still more than they'll have to work with in Richmond. Should be nice though, I think it will give us a chance to be closer to the team and having stands to sit in will be better than being in a crowd leaning up against the rail seperating the team from the fans.[/quote][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Im really wondering where its gonna be then. From Chico's link Richmond city paid 400k of the 4 million so i would think its gonna be in the actually city. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I think City Stadium is the best place to have it, great location with tons to do around it and extremely easy to get in and out of (however i believe there may be a 35 cent toll both at the City Stadium exit, id suggest taking the Cary Town exit right before). Plently of street parking in the surounding areas. Tons of people would also be able to walk there. I think there's some undevloped land so perhaps they could make it into multiple fields? Regardless the stadium needs a lot of renovation.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Ive never been in UR's new stadium but from the outside it looks as nice as they come. I think it has a significantly smaller seating capacity than City. But probably still big enough (maybe 8k??). Definitely a bitch to get in and out of though.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Flying Squirrels Field. The Giants' minor leauge bball team where you can go nuts! Maybe not the baseball field but there's a soccer feild or 2 behind it. Parking and accesability good but location doesnt make Richmond look too hot. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Im gonna go outside the box and add Brown's Island. I was recently there for the River Rock sports fest (and a Boyz 2 Men concert.....), and i feel like it could be the prefect spot for training camp. Definitely big enough. Really nice location. Easy to sneak liquor into. Plenty of downtown parking garages and stuff. Not sure if its flat enough though.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]If outside the city is in the mix id place my money, unfortunitly, on RIR. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Chico23231 06-06-2012 04:24 PM

[quote=Mechanix544;920261]Carytown Burgers and Fries, and jamaica me crazy!!!!

Great food spots, my brother lives right off the VCU campus. He's really close, damn him. Maybe I could get a pcs to fort lee or eustis.........hmmmm[/quote]

thats one thing about our city, very good food options. we dont do those chains spot, lotta good original eats. City Limits is a good bar right by UR if that is indeed the spot

CultBrennan59 06-06-2012 05:44 PM

I still find it funny, we're the Washington Redskins, yet we play games in Maryland and Practice in Virginia..We have nothing to do with DC.

mbedner3420 06-06-2012 05:50 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;920274]I still find it funny, we're the Washington Redskins, yet we play games in Maryland and Practice in Virginia..We have nothing to do with DC.[/quote]

You can see dc from FedEx field technically...

Giantone 06-06-2012 07:03 PM

[quote=mredskins;920180]As a person that has been to many training camps it sounds more fun then it is.[/quote]

....well you can always stop off here!!

[url=http://www.kingsdominion.com/]Welcome to Virginia's Premier Themed Amusement Park | Kings Dominion[/url]

CultBrennan59 06-06-2012 07:36 PM

[quote=mbedner3420;920275]You can see dc from FedEx field technically...[/quote]

People in Alaska can see Russia, that doesn't make them Russians ;)

JoeRedskin 06-06-2012 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=CultBrennan59;920281]People in Alaska can see Russia, that doesn't make them Russians ;)[/QUOTE]

But it does give them valuable foreign policy experience. ;)