Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you favor stronger celebration penalties? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=53708)

CRedskinsRule 08-07-2013 11:00 AM

Do you favor stronger celebration penalties?

According to this Yahoo report, the NFL is going to add spinning the ball, and home run swings to the unsportsmanlike celebration penalty:
[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-cut-down-even-further-celebrations-because-touchdowns-154343028.html]Y! SPORTS[/url]

[QUOTE]As PFT notes, a variety of celebratory acts are no longer permissible and will result in a penalty: “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing.”[/QUOTE]

If true, it's pretty stupid in my mind. Personally I have always enjoyed the endzone celebrations, and can't even fathom the need for any restriction, assuming of course it doesn't involve a major delay of game, or physical altercations between opponents. And to the extent that you want the kids to really enjoy the game, TD celebrations go a long way to entertaining the youth, ie Cruz's salsa, or Alfmo's home run swing.

Just a dumb move by the NFL in my opinion.

mredskins 08-07-2013 11:05 AM

Re: Do you favor stronger celebration penalties?

I agree seems like a dumb rule as long as their not taunting a another player or delaying the game why stop it...

IMO the Lambo Leap has more potential for danger then say Alfmo's HR swing. Why do they allow the leap?

TheMalcolmConnection 08-07-2013 11:07 AM

Yeah, the stick up the butt syndrome is getting out of control. I really like celebrations...

skinsfaninok 08-07-2013 11:13 AM

celebrations are great especially when they are including fans.

mredskins 08-07-2013 11:14 AM

Seriously though how can the Lambo Leap be legal and a baseball swing by Alfmo illegal?

Fawking No Fun League.

Skinzman 08-07-2013 11:20 AM

I dont mind them cracking down on the taunting type celebrations. Doing in someones face or directed at someone is something Im not much for. However, I think its ridiculous if they go after Cruz for his salsa or Morris for his baseball swing/salute if they are not directed at someone. Fining for a small celebration after a TD by yourself towards the crowd is a joke imo.

NYCskinfan82 08-07-2013 11:24 AM

Yeah sometimes the NFL has no clue.

scowan 08-07-2013 11:37 AM

Spiking the ball is now unsportsmanlike????? Really??? So score you TD and then quietly walk over to your sideline. We don't care if its late in the game and you just helped your team go ahead with less than a minute to play. You can not celebrate while everyone in the stands is loosing their mind with excitement??? This is really stupid and it will result in many many penalties. Does the NFL really think guys are not going to celebrate?

donofriose 08-07-2013 11:54 AM

If the celebration penalty is for non touchdown plays, I have no problem with it. It is annoying watching people spin the ball after a 8 yard catch.

RedskinRat 08-07-2013 11:57 AM

Any celebration that isn't excessive in duration should be ok, if teams don't like it then play harder to stop it happening.

CultBrennan59 08-07-2013 11:59 AM

Expect Santana and Pierre to get lots of fines this season because that's all they do.

skinsfan69 08-07-2013 12:05 PM

I personally can do w/out spinning the ball when you get a first down. I'm old school, just go back to the huddle. But it's completly ridiculous to start flagging for it. And even more ridiculous for home run swinging. Just so tired of the NFL and their BS rules. We already have enough flags being thrown, now this?

SirLK26 08-07-2013 12:10 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1017905]If true, it's pretty stupid in my mind. Personally I have always enjoyed the endzone celebrations, and can't even fathom the need for any restriction, assuming of course it doesn't involve a major delay of game, or physical altercations between opponents. And to the extent that you want the kids to really enjoy the game, TD celebrations go a long way to entertaining the youth, ie Cruz's salsa, or Alfmo's home run swing.[/quote]

I agree with this. Celebrations are some the funniest moments in sports, and taking that away really only hurts the game in the end. As long as they don't delay the game too much and they're not too elaborate, I don't see any problem with celebrations. And if they're taking away Alfred Morris' home-run swing, they better be taking away the bicep-kissing baloney too.

That Guy 08-07-2013 12:11 PM

dumb.

firstdown 08-07-2013 12:11 PM

A great celebration would be taking the ball and rubbing it back and forth over you a$$ (like your wiping yourself) smelling the ball, holding your nose, then handing it to a ref.

SirLK26 08-07-2013 12:16 PM

[YT]NQ1aW4kBCOg[/YT]

SmootSmack 08-07-2013 01:09 PM

The info in the OP is a bit inaccurate. First these aren't new rules. Just being more closely enforced now. And spinning the ball for example isn't the issue, it's doing it in an opponents face (so to speak)

over the mountain 08-07-2013 01:20 PM

[quote=Skinzman;1017911]I dont mind them cracking down on the taunting type celebrations. Doing in someones face or directed at someone is something Im not much for. However, I think its ridiculous if they go after Cruz for his salsa or Morris for his baseball swing/salute if they are not directed at someone. Fining for a small celebration after a TD by yourself towards the crowd is a joke imo.[/quote]

agree with this.

the one thing i would want gone is when a player kinda stands over a down player a second longer than they have to...

i used to do that in lacrosse. i was a jerk.

CRedskinsRule 08-07-2013 01:32 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;1017933]The info in the OP is a bit inaccurate. First these aren't new rules. Just being more closely enforced now. And spinning the ball for example isn't the issue, it's doing it in an opponents face (so to speak)[/quote]

True these were written in last year, but they are now telling teams they are going to enforce them closer. The question is really should they be rules at all, and if most fans don't want them (my opinion) why is the NFL cracking down on them?

NYCskinfan82 08-07-2013 02:10 PM

What they should penalize is after a TD they show the owners box and there giving HIGH FIVES & they look so weird.

mooby 08-07-2013 02:22 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;1017933]The info in the OP is a bit inaccurate. First these aren't new rules. Just being more closely enforced now. And spinning the ball for example isn't the issue, it's doing it in an opponents face (so to speak)[/quote]

It might just be an issue of more enforcement now, but it makes the NFL look stupid and petty. If a penalty is not offensive to anybody it should be allowed. This just makes the NFL look like it's trying to eliminate any positive emotion from the players.

JoeRedskin 08-07-2013 04:11 PM

I am an old fashioned stick in the mud and am not a fan of celebrations generally b/c they are mostly "look at me! look at me!" type stuff that, to me, well, it's just not classy.

At the same time, I know it's big business, but it's big [I]entertainment[/I] business and, at it's heart, it's still a f***ing game for God's sake! As long as the celebration isn't a taunt and doesn't disrupt the flow, WTF, can we have a little joy please??

Quite frankly, if I feel like jumping off my couch and high fiving folks when a good thing happens, you gotta figure the guy who did it probably feels even [I]more[/I] emotional about it.

Talk about your "No Fun League".

baxter81 08-07-2013 04:49 PM

Don't really have that much of a problem with this. They are not flagging players for spinning the ball and home run swings alone. Its when they do it in front of their opponents, taunting them

htownskinfan 08-07-2013 07:46 PM

The fun bunch leap was awesome,they outlawed that.Im pretty sick of this commish we got now,I think he's a dick.NFL is def becoming no fun league

DynamiteRave 08-07-2013 08:00 PM

No home run swings? There goes Alfmo's celebration. :(

CRedskinsRule 08-07-2013 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=baxter81;1017959]Don't really have that much of a problem with this. They are not flagging players for spinning the ball and home run swings alone. Its when they do it in front of their opponents, taunting them[/QUOTE]

My problem with this statement is that it opens the discretion can of worms. If alfmo swings the bat after a critical TD at MetLife will that be considered taunting? What about cruz's salsa after a score in Dallas? What if everyone thinks its taunting but the refs don't call it?

Regardless though it's an entertainment profession and the celebrations can be fun for the team's fans

artmonkforhallofamein07 08-07-2013 08:49 PM

So is doing the home run swing after a TD with out an opponent around now a penalty?

What about the superman thing Cam does after any kind of positive play? A flag now? That would make me happy as would spinning the ball after a 1st down. But after a TD when you are all alone, now I have no problem with that at all and like someone else said when you are scoring late to win a game celebrate!

HailGreen28 08-07-2013 09:01 PM

I'd say allow a brief celebration for scoring, as long as you don't use the ball (Sorry Santana.) or delay the game. Still 15 yd penalty for taunting.

budw38 08-07-2013 09:19 PM

[quote=firstdown;1017928]A great celebration would be taking the ball and rubbing it back and forth over you a$$ (like your wiping yourself) smelling the ball, holding your nose, then handing it to a ref.[/quote]
LOL !!! As long as A. Morris does it after we are up 42 - 0 on Philly .... I would laugh my a$$ off !

budw38 08-07-2013 09:21 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1017958]I am an old fashioned stick in the mud and am not a fan of celebrations generally b/c they are mostly "look at me! look at me!" type stuff that, to me, well, it's just not classy.

At the same time, I know it's big business, but it's big [I]entertainment[/I] business and, at it's heart, it's still a f***ing game for God's sake! As long as the celebration isn't a taunt and doesn't disrupt the flow, WTF, can we have a little joy please??

Quite frankly, if I feel like jumping off my couch and high fiving folks when a good thing happens, you gotta figure the guy who did it probably feels even [I]more[/I] emotional about it.

Talk about your "No Fun League".[/quote] Well said Sir !

53Fan 08-07-2013 11:09 PM

I have no idea wtf the league is trying to do with this. A guy like Sherman with the Seahawks can run his mouth and taunt receivers all game long but if you beat him for a TD you can't spin the ball or make a homerun swing? Some of these gestures, as in AlfMo's case, is done for the benefit of kids while Sherman's actions are taunting pure and simple. This is some dumb s*** imo. After working your ass off to score....celebrate. Just don't delay the game doing it.

CrustyRedskin 08-07-2013 11:11 PM

Riggo never celebrated. Just saying. And Godell is a dick. "So are we splitting hairs here?"-Walter Sobchek

53Fan 08-07-2013 11:24 PM

Celebrating after TD's is one of the very FEW things Riggo never did. Lol!

CRedskinsRule 08-08-2013 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=53Fan;1017973]I have no idea wtf the league is trying to do with this. A guy like Sherman with the Seahawks can run his mouth and taunt receivers all game long but if you beat him for a TD you can't spin the ball or make a homerun swing? Some of these gestures, as in AlfMo's case, is done for the benefit of kids while Sherman's actions are taunting pure and simple. This is some dumb s*** imo. After working your ass off to score....celebrate. Just don't delay the game doing it.[/QUOTE]

Great points 53. Pretty excited about the season!

53Fan 08-08-2013 01:00 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1017977]Great points 53. Pretty excited about the season![/quote]

You and me both buddy! We might lead the league in penalties for TD celebrations this year! ;-) HTTR!!!

Giantone 08-08-2013 04:07 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1017909]celebrations are great especially when they are including fans.[/quote]

What if it's the other team, not the home team, and there is the problem. Sorry I don't want stronger penalties ....just enforce the ones you have .

mlmdub130 08-08-2013 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=CRedskinsRule;1017964]My problem with this statement is that it opens the discretion can of worms. If alfmo swings the bat after a critical TD at MetLife will that be considered taunting? What about cruz's salsa after a score in Dallas? What if everyone thinks its taunting but the refs don't call it?

Regardless though it's an entertainment profession and the celebrations can be fun for the team's fans[/QUOTE]

Exactly, this is just another discretionary rule that could have a lot of impact on a game. I have no problems w a little celebration. Taking the props out was fine with me but this is takin it to far. Don't know if anyone remembers why Alfmo does his swing, but it's because he made friends w some kids at a baseball camp and told them he would do it for them, and it stuck. [url]http://blog.redskins.com/2012/09/28/video-touch-em-all-alfred-morris/[/url]
Also on the season tickets they always put different players for each game. Well this year for the Monday night game against San Fran is a picture of Alfmo doin his swing.

CrustyRedskin 08-08-2013 10:54 AM

[quote=53Fan;1017976]Celebrating after TD's is one of the very FEW things Riggo never did. Lol![/quote]

Truer words have never been spoken.

MTK 08-08-2013 10:59 AM

You can still spin the ball, just not at another player. Pretty sure the same thing goes for the other celebrations. It's ok as long as it's not taunting another player.

Monkeydad 08-08-2013 11:07 AM

Only for Victor Cruz.