Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Select Adonis Alexander in 6th Round of Supplemental (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64135)

Schneed10 07-11-2018 02:04 PM

Redskins Select Adonis Alexander in 6th Round of Supplemental

Welcome to DC!

[url]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1017106640468922375[/url]

[YT]9Ap3i3bnWq0[/YT]

JoeRedskin 07-11-2018 02:11 PM

Re: Redskins Select Adonis Alexander in 6th Round of Supplemental

They like those Virginia Tech and Alabama boys.

Schneed10 07-11-2018 02:14 PM

Yeah how much of a factor is DeAngelo Hall in this VA Tech train? I'm sure he put a word in to go after Torrian Gray once upon a time, and I'm sure Torrian put a word in about Alexander, Settle, and Stroman.

It's kind of funny. But he's a corner with length that we spent a 6th rounder on, and you can't have too many corners. No matter how it turns out I'll never look back and fault this pick.

A high-upside CB in the 6th round is all gravy.

skinsfaninok 07-11-2018 02:25 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1196423]They like those Virginia Tech and Alabama boys.[/quote]

And OU :)

Ruhskins 07-11-2018 02:55 PM

Hopefully Torrian Gray, Norman, and Swearinger can shape him up. I don't mind taking a gamble with a 6th round pick.

Ruhskins 07-11-2018 02:56 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1196427]And OU :)[/quote]

Roll Hokie-Sooners-Tide Skins?

CRedskinsRule 07-11-2018 03:12 PM

OHHSSSS NOOOOO, we gave up a 6th rounder on him!!! OH the HUMANITY!!!

{thinks to myself: I wonder if he plays QB?}

skinsfan69 07-11-2018 03:21 PM

I don't have any issues with this pick. Low risk high reward type of guy. I really don't care about the stuff w/ his grades. Really all I care about is does this kid really love football and all that goes w/ it? Does he love the grind? If all that checks out then I'm happy as hell we got this kid. Having Gray also can't hurt.

FrenchSkin 07-11-2018 03:58 PM

Good, a part from a LG we're really having the best offseason possible.

Losing Fuller was tough but necessary, and it's not absurd to hope one of Scandrick, Stroman and now Alexander could make up for it.

Secondary really is not a squad I'm worried about.

mooby 07-11-2018 04:23 PM

6th round is a crapshoot anyways, might as well take a flier on a guy you like. Hope those rumors about work ethic aren't true.

Still I don't expect much out of him this year.

Meks 07-11-2018 04:25 PM

i think we have a solid group of guys in the 2ndary that if in fact there are some questions with his work ethic, would either be quickly noticed and/or remedied. 6th round on a position that we should be welcoming up and comers for depth. I like the pick and glad he fell to us.

Chico23231 07-11-2018 04:33 PM

Been in meetings...good news and no risk. Love the fact only a 6th...wow.

Chico23231 07-11-2018 04:41 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1196422]Welcome to DC!

[url]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1017106640468922375[/url]

[YT]9Ap3i3bnWq0[/YT][/quote]

He’s got those long ass arms that in the receivers’ catch zone every throw. Can’t teach length and size.

skinsfan69 07-11-2018 07:34 PM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1196435]Good, a part from a LG we're really having the best offseason possible.

Losing Fuller was tough but necessary, and it's not absurd to hope one of Scandrick, Stroman and now Alexander could make up for it.

Secondary really is not a squad I'm worried about.[/quote]

It is still a big concern. There are a lot of big question marks back there, starting w/ Norman, who is coming off a down year.

ethat001 07-11-2018 10:55 PM

Agree. still concerned. Not even sure how we can keep all these young but unproven players, we're going to have to stash a few in practice squad..

I hope [URL="https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round"]if you give these 4-6th rounders 10% chance of making it[/URL] .. then you add up Stroman, Holsey, and Adonis, and even Moreau - and maybe between all of them theres a chance 1-2 of them works..

Irrefutable 07-11-2018 11:08 PM

[quote=ethat001;1196449]Agree. still concerned. Not even sure how we can keep all these young but unproven players, we're going to have to stash a few in practice squad..

I hope [URL="https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round"]if you give these 4-6th rounders 10% chance of making it[/URL] .. then you add up Stroman, Holsey, and Adonis, and even Moreau - and maybe between all of them theres a chance 1-2 of them works..[/quote]

Late cuts probably can go to the practice squad, or maybe Injured Reserve a little earlier. They will find a way to keep them if they show anything.

FrenchSkin 07-12-2018 02:41 AM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;1196444]It is still a big concern. There are a lot of big question marks back there, starting w/ Norman, who is coming off a down year.[/QUOTE]Norman was injured, he was slowed down by his ribs.
And he's not a fast corner, he plays smart (and tough) but if there's no pass rush he can get exposed a little bit. Having recovered from his ribs injury, and a healthy and improved DL should help.

S Nicholson and Swearinger (+Apke and Everett), OCB Norman and Scandrick/Dunbar/Moreau competing and/or rotating both outside and in the slot, get Stroman and Alexander in the mix...

I can see interrogations, unproven guys, but I'm not worried.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk

skinsfaninok 07-12-2018 09:36 AM

Norman was still solid with bad ribs, he will be fine

sdskinsfan2001 07-12-2018 10:28 AM

Different sides of the ball but maybe Guice and Alexander will be good support system for each other. Both guys have a lot of stuff in the rumor mill and had a lot of negative coverage. Both now have a chance to prove doubters wrong and help MRGA.

sdskinsfan2001 07-12-2018 10:30 AM

We might have a glutton of corners now. We keep 6, who you got?

Norman
Dunbar
Scandrick
Moreau
Alexander
Stroman

Does that leave Holsey out? Or do they make him 6th corner and sneak Stroman on as a STer??

Meks 07-12-2018 10:46 AM

i think one of the young guys pushes scandrick, maybe down the depth chart even.

FrenchSkin 07-12-2018 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=sdskinsfan2001;1196458]We might have a glutton of corners now. We keep 6, who you got?

Norman
Dunbar
Scandrick
Moreau
Alexander
Stroman

Does that leave Holsey out? Or do they make him 6th corner and sneak Stroman on as a STer??[/QUOTE]

They may cut Holsey or maybe keep him on TS ?
I don't see the need for him. 6th or 7th rounder from last year, it's not like we spent plenty of value on him.

You can't have too many corners but we also have safeties: Swearinger, Nicholson, Everett, Apke... am I forgetting anyone?
That's already 10 DBs, 11 if you keep Holsey. 12 if you count Harvey-Clemons as a DB...

TheMalcolmConnection 07-12-2018 10:58 AM

Know first hand the dude is a straight knucklehead off the field. If you can simplify things for him and just let him crush people, he can do it.

sdskinsfan2001 07-12-2018 11:22 AM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1196460]They may cut Holsey or maybe keep him on TS ?
I don't see the need for him. 6th or 7th rounder from last year, it's not like we spent plenty of value on him.

You can't have too many corners but we also have safeties: Swearinger, Nicholson, Everett, Apke... am I forgetting anyone?
That's already 10 DBs, 11 if you keep Holsey. 12 if you count Harvey-Clemons as a DB...

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk[/quote]

It's not so much that we have to keep Holsey because we used a pick on him, its moreso that I think he can be a good NFL player.

Hopefully if we have to, we can get Holsey and Smithson back onto the practice squad.

FrenchSkin 07-12-2018 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=sdskinsfan2001;1196462]It's not so much that we have to keep Holsey because we used a pick on him, its moreso that I think he can be a good NFL player.

Hopefully if we have to, we can get Holsey and Smithson back onto the practice squad.[/QUOTE]Maybe we can, honestly I haven't seen enough on them to have an opinion, and I'm aware DBs can take time to develop, so you may very well be right!

Chico23231 07-12-2018 11:51 AM

Orlando Scandrick was a terrible FA signing...expect him to miss a Jordan Reed amount of games. Josh Norman is the only reliable Corner on the team folks. We need a healthy pool of CBs to compete and play. I see a lot of potential...but potential stat doesn't win games...gotta do it on the field consistently.

skinsfaninok 07-12-2018 12:39 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1196464]Orlando Scandrick was a terrible FA signing...expect him to miss a Jordan Reed amount of games. Josh Norman is the only reliable Corner on the team folks. We need a healthy pool of CBs to compete and play. I see a lot of potential...but potential stat doesn't win games...gotta do it on the field consistently.[/quote]

You are underrating Dunbar big time. He's a very good #2, and should have an even better season in 2018. Scandrick is what he is, Vet that may help in situations.

skinsfan69 07-12-2018 02:18 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;1196461]Know first hand the dude is a straight knucklehead off the field. If you can simplify things for him and just let him crush people, he can do it.[/quote]

So are a lot of young guys. If you just picked up guys w/ no issues then you wouldn't have a team. The only things I'd care about is does he love football? Does he love the grind of it? Also does he have a football IQ? If so then he'll get w/ his old coach and some of the vets like Norman and Swearinger and he'll hopefully get on the right path. If he's a knucklehead then they'll know real soon.

skinsfan69 07-12-2018 02:21 PM

[quote=Meks;1196459]i think one of the young guys pushes scandrick, maybe down the depth chart even.[/quote]

I agree. Scandrick is pure garbage. Not sure why we're picking up the Cowboys trash. Looks like a Allen pick up if you ask me.

skinsfan69 07-12-2018 02:29 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1196465]You are underrating Dunbar big time. He's a very good #2, and should have an even better season in 2018. Scandrick is what he is, Vet that may help in situations.[/quote]

I would have just let Dunbar, Holsey, Fabian and Stroman compete. Why bring in an old, injury prone Cowboy? That just smells like Bruce Allen all the way. He did the same shit with Jason Hatcher.

skinsfaninok 07-12-2018 03:00 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1196472]I would have just let Dunbar, Holsey, Fabian and Stroman compete. Why bring in an old, injury prone Cowboy? That just smells like Bruce Allen all the way. He did the same shit with Jason Hatcher.[/quote]

Fair enough but maybe this time it will be a positive cowboy for once.

FrenchSkin 07-12-2018 04:20 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1196472]I would have just let Dunbar, Holsey, Fabian and Stroman compete. Why bring in an old, injury prone Cowboy? That just smells like Bruce Allen all the way. He did the same shit with Jason Hatcher.[/quote]

Yeah Scandrick really was my least favorite signing this offseason.
3.5M/y is not crazy high, but this is also our most poorly negotiated contract this year IMO.

Meks 07-12-2018 04:23 PM

i remember drafting someone named Dllas Startz and hoping he would be a nightmare LB to oppose the pukes for years but ...... no, lol

ethat001 07-12-2018 08:00 PM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1196474]Yeah Scandrick really was my least favorite signing this offseason.
3.5M/y is not crazy high, but this is also our most poorly negotiated contract this year IMO.[/quote]

I think Scandrick is the veteran / known commodity. I don't love the signing but I don't mind it (btw, surprised that DRC is still available).

Anyway, we have no idea if the others are Amerson-2015 horrible or not. Scandrick at least we know what we're getting and has more than 1 game experience in the secondary. If a young CB outplays him and he doesn't play who cares, he's essentially the insurance for the secondary.

MTK 07-13-2018 08:47 AM

[URL="https://riggosrag.com/2018/07/11/adonis-alexanders-fit-washigton-redskins-unclear/"]Adonis Alexander’s fit on Washington Redskins roster unclear[/URL]

Schneed10 07-13-2018 10:40 AM

[quote=MTK;1196483][URL="https://riggosrag.com/2018/07/11/adonis-alexanders-fit-washigton-redskins-unclear/"]Adonis Alexander’s fit on Washington Redskins roster unclear[/URL][/quote]

This raises great points - if Adonis makes the roster which CBs get bumped?

I've seen Scandrick's name mentioned as a guy that could get bumped off the roster but I think that's ridiculous. He's not only going to start outside in base defense but he'll also move inside in nickel situations when Dunbar or Moreau come in to take the 2nd outside spot. Scandrick and Norman will definitely see the most playing time of all our CBs.

I think it's clearly Holsey on the bubble. He's 5'10" and just hasn't done much aside from special teams.

Dunbar was just extended so it won't be him. Moreau was so valuable as a gunner on teams that he'll be kept for that reason alone, nevermind his upside as a 4.3 CB with length. It's obviously Holsey whose job is very much in jeopardy, as it should be. He wouldn't make a lot of NFL rosters.

CRedskinsRule 07-13-2018 11:02 AM

I think the FO is simply overcompensating for Fuller's loss. They don't want his loss to overshadow what AS brings to the team. I think it's clear that we should have young talent to develop, and that the practice squad is an option for several of the young guys.

Schneed10 07-13-2018 11:19 AM

And speaking honestly about Scandrick, the Redskins surely know that he's a solid but not great player. Hence the $ amount they spent on him.

If one of the young corners ascends, I don't think they'd think of Scandrick being in their way. If Moreau for example makes a leap in training camp then they'll play him over Scandrick.

I'm with CRed, the Scandrick signing could be looked at as overcompensating, or it could be looked at as an insurance policy. Scandrick is not Fuller, but he's not bad, and they're stacking up young guys in hopes one of them makes the leap.

Until they make the leap though, you need a guy who you can rely on as serviceable. That, and you can never, ever have too many corners.

FrenchSkin 07-13-2018 12:19 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1196487]And speaking honestly about Scandrick, the Redskins surely know that he's a solid but not great player. Hence the $ amount they spent on him.

If one of the young corners ascends, I don't think they'd think of Scandrick being in their way. If Moreau for example makes a leap in training camp then they'll play him over Scandrick.

I'm with CRed, the Scandrick signing could be looked at as overcompensating, or it could be looked at as an insurance policy. Scandrick is not Fuller, but he's not bad, and they're stacking up young guys in hopes one of them makes the leap.

Until they make the leap though, you need a guy who you can rely on as serviceable. That, and you can never, ever have too many corners.[/quote]

Yeah Scandrick is clearly insurance, I just feel like we could've found a little cheaper insurance, but I may be wrong. Or, let me put it this ways: our others signings, like Paul Richardson or Zach Brown, I felt were [U][B]good deals for us[/B][/U], and [U]pretty smartly structured too[/U].
Scandrick's is just meh, and so is his price.

Holsey is the one whose spot is the hottest for sure. I think we keep him on TS.

Chico23231 07-13-2018 02:15 PM

Scandrick quality of play is an issue but his health is a bigger one. Hopefully he contributes and I def think he won’t get cut unless he is an absolute bum.
We got lotta young guys with different skill sets fighting for positions and an outstanding coach...our investment on the dline will help. Looking forward to camp.