Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Team President (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64662)

skinsfaninok 08-17-2020 07:57 AM

New Team President

The Washington Football Team has hired a new President, Jason Wright. He played 7 years in the NFL, was at McKinsey & Comapny in DC, and now is charged with leading the organizations business operations. A historic move, Wright is the first ever black team President and the youngest.

MTK 08-17-2020 08:06 AM

Re: New Team President

@AdamSchefter
Background: Jason Wright spent seven years as an NFL RB; he earned his MBA with high honors from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. He became a partner for the global strategy and management consulting firm, McKinsey & Company. And now he’s president of the WFT.

@AdamSchefter
Washington Football Team appointed Jason Wright as team president in a historic hire. Wright will be responsible for leading the organization’s business divisions, including operations, finance, sales, and marketing. Wright now becomes the first black president of an NFL team.

skinsfaninok 08-17-2020 08:08 AM

I know some may say the hired of Julie and Jason are PR moves and they may be but at least it's positive news

MTK 08-17-2020 08:08 AM

Maybe best of all he won't be involved in football decisions.

Chico23231 08-17-2020 08:52 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1257374]I know some may say the hired of Julie and Jason are PR moves and they may be but at least it's positive news[/quote]

Yeah...I don’t mind it at all, just do a good job.

Monkeydad 08-17-2020 08:56 AM

I don't care about skin color and "history" as long as he or she can do the job.

If a man earns a job on his own merits, THAT is why we should celebrate his accomplishments.

Good luck, Jason, glad to have you and not Bruce Allen aboard! Now get to work, cleanup in aisle...well, every aisle here at WFT headuarters! :D

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zvOZuZ8.png[/img]

skinsfaninok 08-17-2020 09:00 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;1257378]I don't care about skin color and "history" as long as he or she can do the job.

If a man earns a job on his own merits, THAT is why we should celebrate his accomplishments.

Good luck, Jason, glad to have you and not Bruce Allen aboard! Now get to work, cleanup in aisle...well, every aisle here at WFT headuarters! :D

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Efn0LWNX0AYMFLa?format=jpg&name=900x900[/img][/quote]

Pretty damn cool

Burgold 08-17-2020 09:39 AM

Wow,we actually are getting positive news from the home team...are they actually trying to do it right this time? As Oliver Hardy would say...I most certainly hope so!

skinsfan69 08-17-2020 09:49 AM

Snyder is such a phony SOB.

KI Skins Fan 08-17-2020 09:55 AM

Actions speak louder than words.

skinsfaninok 08-17-2020 10:13 AM

This is all cool but at the end of the day, it's about winning games

MTK 08-17-2020 10:13 AM

Impressive resume and he was brought in from outside the org. Two things to like right off the bat. Now let him do the job.

WCommandersfan99 08-17-2020 10:20 AM

He certainly has the background with the education/NFL experience. He also got rave reviews. He sure has a job in front of him. Intriguing hire.

skinsfan69 08-17-2020 11:38 AM

Snyder is doing this because I believe he was getting pressure from the other owners. If he didn't clean up the organization and also change the name he might have been gone. With the Donaldson hire and now bringing on a good clean cut brother this more than appeases the mob, DC Govt and so on.

Monkeydad 08-17-2020 11:47 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1257392]Snyder is doing this because I believe he was getting pressure from the other owners. If he didn't clean up the organization and also change the name he might have been gone. With the Donaldson hire and now bringing on a good clean cut brother this more than appeases the mob, DC Govt and so on.[/quote]

That's an insult to Mr. Wright who appears to have an impressive resume and is qualified for the job no matter what he looks like.

He even has a football background as a player even though Coach Rivera is handling all football-related and personnel decisions, but that's an added bonus.

We saw what happens when non-football people like Vinny Cerrato touches things.

MTK 08-17-2020 11:48 AM

Well let's not act like Donaldson and Wright aren't 100% qualified. And I think Rivera is the driver behind these moves more than Snyder anyway.

SunnySide 08-17-2020 11:51 AM

Welcome aboard Mr. Wright.

I honestly am not 100% sure what an NFL team president does. I imagine he heads the endorsement and contract negotiations, some PR stuff but most importantly is the head of all admin and employees that put on a helmet on Sundays.

We wanted people named to important positions that arent hand-tied to Snyder and that appears to be what we are getting.

Monkeydad 08-17-2020 11:55 AM

[quote=SunnySide;1257396]I honestly am not 100% sure what an NFL team president does. I imagine he heads the endorsement and contract negotiations, some PR stuff but most importantly is the head of all admin and employees that put on a helmet on Sundays. [/quote]

I read an announcement that stated his duties will include operations, finance, sales, and marketing.

The job description likely varies from team-to-team.

skinsfan69 08-17-2020 11:59 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;1257393]That's an insult to Mr. Wright who appears to have an impressive resume and is qualified for the job no matter what he looks like.

He even has a football background as a player even though Coach Rivera is handling all football-related and personnel decisions, but that's an added bonus.

We saw what happens when non-football people like Vinny Cerrato touches things.[/quote]

I'm not insulting him at all. I love seeing black people get high ranking jobs in the NFL because I am black. I just think Dan is doing this because he is trying to get himself in good graces with the clueless DC govt and get the movement on his side. All in all very good hires. I like what Dan is doing, even though I question why he is doing it.

MTK 08-17-2020 12:40 PM

Even if there's just one ounce of "PR" to these moves, who cares? This team perhaps more than any other in pro sports right now needs a good PR boost.

JoeRedskin 08-17-2020 02:12 PM

Julie Donaldson and James Wright both have excellent qualifications and experience for the jobs they have been hired to do. They are both very good hires regardless of any PR bonus for being viewed as politically correct.

I agree with the poster who said that Rivera is likely behind this. To me, everything since his hire has been transformative. I just hope that translates to play on the field.

Monkeydad 08-17-2020 03:49 PM

[quote=MTK;1257401]Even if there's just one ounce of "PR" to these moves, who cares? This team perhaps more than any other in pro sports right now needs a good PR boost.[/quote]

EVERY business owner makes decisions based on PR and making money. Not saying EVERY decision is for personal benefit only but you have to consider it with most of your decisions to stay in business.

Dan just has the press following and scrutinizing every move he makes unlike the Amish guy who owns a hardware store in Blue Ball, PA.

Bottom line, good hire, regardless of the reason.

MTK 08-17-2020 03:58 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1257403]Julie Donaldson and James Wright both have excellent qualifications and experience for the jobs they have been hired to do. They are both very good hires regardless of any PR bonus for being viewed as politically correct.

I agree with the poster who said that Rivera is likely behind this. To me, everything since his hire has been transformative. I just hope that translates to play on the field.[/quote]

it's been a while how you been

Summo 08-17-2020 04:40 PM

Rivera has been a godsend for this organization and lets hope Snyder continues to let him do his job unimpeded as he has so far.

RedskinJake 08-17-2020 04:49 PM

[quote=Summo;1257409]Rivera has been a godsend for this organization and lets hope Snyder continues to let him do his job unimpeded as he has so far.[/quote]

This team has definitely under performed under Snyder and the team needs wins to prove anything but this is the best combination of Coaching staff, front office and young talent that we've had since Gibbs 2.0. If things click quickly, the next few years could be very very good. Snyder may be an idiot but he's not stupid. ;) He's finally starting to listen to the right people. I'll be glad to see him go when it happens but I feel like this is the best chance to get on track since he bought the team.

FrenchSkin 08-17-2020 05:30 PM

What I also love is that he doesn't have any football authority, which means Rivera is running the show.
It looks more and more like Rivera knew what he was stepping in and asked for complete control over football operations !

CrazyCanuck 08-17-2020 05:35 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1257384]Snyder is such a phony SOB.[/quote]

Yes he is.

MTK 08-17-2020 06:00 PM

@JReidESPN
Hearing back from some within the game. Consensus is this is a great, great hire for Washington’s NFL Franchise. And if he’s able to implement his plan, the hiring could be transformative for league, one high-ranking official tells me.

oldfan 08-17-2020 06:54 PM

Over the yeas, I have read many accolades about team hires. Remember Vinny and Bruce? How they were going to lead the team to greatness? They also came in with great reviews. Between the two of them, they did more damage to the team than Snyder ever has. What counts is what he does. Ask me again in about 2 yeas what I think.

Chico23231 08-17-2020 08:07 PM

[quote=MTK;1257415]@JReidESPN
Hearing back from some within the game. Consensus is this is a great, great hire for Washington’s NFL Franchise. And if he’s able to implement his plan, the hiring could be transformative for league, one high-ranking official tells me.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m liking the hire. Sounds like a natural fit

mooby 08-17-2020 08:55 PM

[quote=MTK;1257401]Even if there's just one ounce of "PR" to these moves, who cares? This team perhaps more than any other in pro sports right now needs a good PR boost.[/quote]

How dare they try to improve their media relations and business acumen after years of being dogshit. Back in the dumpster where you belong you slurs.

Schneed10 08-17-2020 09:32 PM

McKinsey’s reputation precedes itself. If you held a prominent position at that firm, you’re a good bet to succeed in leading most Fortune 500 companies, let alone an NFL team.

SkinzWin 08-17-2020 10:20 PM

I watched his interview on Good Morning America with Strahan. You can tell just from the brief interview the man is articulate, Savvy and knowledgeable about organizational change. Which is something we need a hell of a lot of. Love this move. WFT May be the only positive thing about 2020 so far!

sevier2 08-18-2020 01:53 AM

[quote=SkinzWin;1257421]I watched his interview on Good Morning America with Strahan. You can tell just from the brief interview the man is articulate, Savvy and knowledgeable about organizational change. Which is something we need a hell of a lot of. Love this move. WFT May be the only positive thing about 2020 so far![/quote]

Saw that same interview and was impressed. Loved how he addressed the allegations made recently against the team head on.

Seems to know what he’s getting into and has a plan to move forward.

If we top it off by naming Kyle Smith GM I will be VERY pleased with our new front office structure.

mooby 08-18-2020 07:15 AM

[quote=sevier2;1257422]Saw that same interview and was impressed. Loved how he addressed the allegations made recently against the team head on.

Seems to know what he’s getting into and has a plan to move forward.

[B]If we top it off by naming Kyle Smith GM I will be VERY pleased with our new front office structure[/B].[/quote]

Kyle Smith is already GM, except in title IIRC. He answers to Ron though (as everybody else does probably).

MTK 08-18-2020 08:31 AM

[YT]fp_d1IIET9U[/YT]

KI Skins Fan 08-18-2020 09:24 AM

Someone used the word "transformative". Rarely does one see meaningful, lasting change in the NFL. I'm an optimist at heart and I'm hoping that these changes will be the cornerstone in transforming The Washington Football Team into a leading franchise for the NFL and a team we fans can wholeheartedly support, as we once did.

GridIron26 08-18-2020 09:44 AM

Thanks for sharing the video, Matty.

This offseason really feels like it's a changing point for the franchise, although we have been always winner of offseasons historically so I'm not having high hopes but at the same time, I can't help but feel good about where this franchise is going. Fingers crossed.

Schneed10 08-18-2020 10:24 AM

[quote=MTK;1257425][YT]fp_d1IIET9U[/YT][/quote]

So this is the first time that any Redskins executive, including Snyder himself, has actually laid out the organizational chart so clearly. Allen would always obfuscate and just say 'every decision is a Redskins decision'.

Here, Wright is clearly depicting with his hands that he and Ron are peers on the organizational chart, both reporting in to Snyder. With Ron having full control of football operations, including the acquisition of player personnel, scouting, and all things coaching. He maintains 100% roster control.

In the meantime Wright oversees everything else that doesn't have to do with the roster, player acquisition, and football. He will run the business. He will have no say in personnel, he will not oversee scouting, he will not oversee the appointment of a GM, he will not get to select draft picks, he will not get to execute trades. A true manager of the business.

The mere fact that he depicted this setup visually with his hands in parallel shows that for the first time we have it being clearly communicated both within the organization and externally to the media who is responsible for what.

That in and of itself is an amazing culture change for this organization. The win/loss record belongs to Ron Rivera. And the bottom line belongs to Jason Wright.

Schneed10 08-18-2020 10:40 AM

[quote=GridIron26;1257434]Thanks for sharing the video, Matty.

This offseason really feels like it's a changing point for the franchise, although we have been always winner of offseasons historically so I'm not having high hopes but at the same time, I can't help but feel good about where this franchise is going. Fingers crossed.[/quote]

Agree. These moves don't guarantee success, but they do put us on equal footing finally with the other 31 teams (minus a few maybe) who have a sound and clear organizational structure.

It was the lack of structure and accountability that caused us to get in our own way.

Now we still have to pick the players, and coach well, and be schematically sound, and execute. But before this offseason, any attempt to do that would always be thwarted by infighting, backbiting and culture problems brought on by the lack of strong organizational structure and leadership.

At least now we have a chance to build something, starting now.