Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 10 Commanders of 2022 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=65160)

MTK 01-12-2023 12:46 PM

Top 10 Commanders of 2022

Stole this idea from someone else, who were your top 10 players of this season?

My list would be

10. Dotson - impactful even with missing some time, showed he was worthy of a first round pick and his future looks very bright.

9. Forrest - seemingly came out of nowhere, playmaker, big hitter, smart, our safety group looks rock solid now. Led the team with 4 INTs.

8. Way - just another super solid season from Tress Way.

7. Gibson - no lost fumbles this year, over 900 yards rushing/receiving.

6. Curl - the QB of the defense, his loss is felt when he's not out there.

5. Robinson Jr. - nice rookie season, tough runner especially after contact, future looks bright.

4. Sweat - 8 sacks and plenty of impactful plays, still hasn't hit his ceiling IMO.

3. McLaurin - another very productive season despite musical chairs at QB. Also a leader on and off the field.

2. Payne - just a monster year with 11.5 sacks and 18 TFL, dude is about to get paid. Really hope we can retain him.

1. Allen - you can make the case that Payne had the better year at least statistically, but taking into account his leadership as well I'm giving the nod to Jon Allen as our best player of 2022. 7.5 sacks, 16 TFL, 17 QB pressures, he's a dawg.

Ruhskins 01-12-2023 12:58 PM

Re: Top 10 Commanders of 2022

My list:

10. Gibson
9. Forrest
8. Dotson
7. B. Rob
6. Tress
5. Curl
4. Sweat
3. Payne
2. Terry
1. Allen

Honorable mention: Jamin Davis

sdskinsfan2001 01-12-2023 01:16 PM

1. Howell (J/K)

1. Allen
2. McLaurin
3. Payne
4. Curl
5. Sweat
6. Robinson/Gibson
8. Forrest
9. Davis
10. Way

Defensive honorable mention: Danny Johnson
Offensive honorable mention: Jahan Dotson

SunnySide 01-12-2023 01:17 PM

Allen
Terry
Payne

Fuller
Curl
Tress
Dotson
Holcomb
Forrest
Reaves

Honorable mention - B Rob

Schneed10 01-12-2023 01:19 PM

Fun. I like your list. Mine is probably only a little different. Availability plays into my list quite a bit.

10) Tress - gang shit no lame shit

9) Jahan Dotson - could have been higher if not for the injury in the middle of the season, love how well he runs routes at this stage of his career. Give him a line that can protect the QB and he'll put up numbers.

8) Darrick Forrest - big plays. Thought he was exposed a little when Curl wasn't in the game but what a development to find a player in Forrest.

7) Brian Robinson - offense revolved around him when he was healthy. That's why Gibson didn't make my top 10. Loved that he didn't fumble, but the Commanders built an identity around Robinson and looked lost when they didn't have him.

6) Kendall Fuller - two pick six's, a few out of position goofball plays too (Cleveland, Amari Cooper, ugh). But that's two consecutive very strong seasons in a row. A good CB impacts the game quite a bit.

5) Kam Curl - see Robinson. When he played, defense looked great. When he didn't, defense didn't. Availability was probably the only reason I couldn't put him higher.

4) Daron Payne - sack numbers were great and he played all year. But the pressure he applied wasn't as consistent as Sweat or Allen. I'd franchise him and try to avoid overpaying on a long term deal. I don't think he gets pressure consistently enough to get 11.5 sacks again, I think that will end up being his career high. Before you kill me I have him 4th so clearly I like him. Had great TFL numbers and deflected that pass on the GL against Atlanta. Left hand up.

3) Montez - kind of the opposite of Payne above. I thought he flushed the QB and caused more errant throws on plays he didn't finish. He was in the QB's face or on his back more consistently. I haven't looked at pressure numbers but I feel like he and Allen were more consistent in being disruptive than Payne was.

2) Terry McLaurin - best player on the offense. When we needed a play he made the play, multiple times. Almost 1200 yards. Pro Bowl.

1) Jon Allen - I felt like this was an all-pro worthy season, and if he doesn't get it it's only because Chris Jones and Dexter Lawrence had amazing years too. Consistently in the backfield, would get knicked with a groin or a knee and come back in the game, and not just come back in, he'd play well. Forced two fumbles. Best player on the defense. Pro Bowl. If you give me a choice between our two non special teams pro bowl guys, McLaurin and Allen, I have to give the nod to the guy who plays on the better unit. The leader of a playoff caliber defense, that says something.

Schneed10 01-12-2023 01:23 PM

If I gave 11 - 15 I think I'd have Gibson, Jamin Davis, Ben St Juste, Charles Leno, and Bobby McCain there in some order. St. Juste's step forward was nice to see, wish he could have stayed healthy all year. He's a key piece for us going forward.

Jamin making progress was good to see too.

McCain was sneaky good in spots. The ability to flex down to cover the slot was a valuable thing, it put him in position to come up in run support on several occasions. I feel like his contributions slid under the radar.

sdskinsfan2001 01-12-2023 01:25 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1336119]If I gave 11 - 15 I think I'd have Gibson, Jamin Davis, Ben St Juste, Charles Leno, and Bobby McCain there in some order. S[B]t. Juste's step forward was nice to see, wish he could have stayed healthy all year. He's a key piece for us going forward.[/B]

Jamin making progress was good to see too.

McCain was sneaky good in spots. The ability to flex down to cover the slot was a valuable thing, it put him in position to come up in run support on several occasions. I feel like his contributions slid under the radar.[/quote]

The guy has CB1 potential, but just can't stay healthy for enough games (at least not yet). Him being available next year for 82.35%+ (14 or more games) of the season would be a big step towards actually going to the playoffs.

Chief X_Phackter 01-12-2023 01:29 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1336121]The guy has CB1 potential, but just can't stay healthy for enough games (at least not yet). Him being available next year for 90%+ of the games would be a big step towards actually going to the playoffs.[/quote]

That's why we need to draft a CB in round 1 or 2.

Keep him and see if he can stay healthy, but if not, ideally you have a solid young corner to take his reps.

Chief X_Phackter 01-12-2023 01:43 PM

Good idea:

1. Allen - baller 1A
2. Payne - baller 1B
3. McLaurin - underrated/clutch
4. Forrest - smash you in the mouth
5. Robinson - the real deal. Impressive what he did after being shot twice.
6. Dotson - great pick, bright future
7. Sweat - 8 sacks, seemed to always be around the QB
8. Fuller - two pick six's, mostly solid
9. Davis - nice bounce back season
10. D Johnson - filled in more than admirably and way under the radar. He was big down the stretch

Honorable Mention: Way - just keeps doing it

Can't give props to Gibson for not losing a fumble. RBs aren't supposed to do that...so he did his job.

SunnySide 01-12-2023 03:10 PM

Sweat ... everyone from respected pundits to fans love him, praises his play, his "off ball" play, has a 86.4 PFF grade

... and Id rather let him walk and use Toohill/Smith-Williams/TBD vs paying 20M per

Im certainly wrong here but I just dont see him as an impact edge playing at a 86 PFF grade level

Good player? Yes of course.

Love to keep him on team? Of course .. but not at 20M per

MTK 01-12-2023 03:18 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1336142]Sweat ... everyone from respected pundits to fans love him, praises his play, his "off ball" play, has a 86.4 PFF grade

... and Id rather let him walk and use Toohill/Smith-Williams/TBD vs paying 20M per

Im certainly wrong here but I just dont see him as an impact edge playing at a 86 PFF grade level

Love to keep him on team? Of course .. but not at 20M per[/quote]

That grade puts him in the top 10 at his position. (8th to be exact)

Schneed10 01-12-2023 03:45 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1336142]Sweat ... everyone from respected pundits to fans love him, praises his play, his "off ball" play, has a 86.4 PFF grade

Love to keep him on team? Of course .. but not at 20M per[/quote]

I don't see it this way, but if the team were to agree with you, we'd be best served by trying to trade him now so as to get something for him because the NFL probably places more value on him than this.

Me, I'd rather pay him. It's this defensive line that allows us to even consider going with a ball-control offense.

jamf 01-12-2023 03:46 PM

My Top 5 - These guys are starters for any team in the league.
1: Allen
1B: Payne
3: McLaurin
4: Sweat
5: Way
6: Reeves - What a year for this guy!

Honorable Mention:
7: Heinicke - 5-3-1 as a starter. This is a playoff team if he plays 17 games in spite of having the worst OC in the league. This is a 4 win team with Wentz starting 17 game.
8: Gibson - Career was over in preseason when he lost a fumble, dude bounced back and ran hard
9: Dotson - Showed flashes of being a very good compliment to Terry.
10: Robinson - Did you guys know he got shot? I don't think the news mentioned that /S. Solid talent and pushed Gibson to be better.

Schneed10 01-12-2023 04:00 PM

[quote=jamf;1336145]My Top 5 - These guys are starters for any team in the league.
1: Allen
1B: Payne
3: McLaurin
4: Sweat
5: Way
6: Reeves - What a year for this guy!

Honorable Mention:
7: Heinicke - 5-3-1 as a starter. This is a playoff team if he plays 17 games in spite of having the worst OC in the league. This is a 4 win team with Wentz starting 17 game.
8: Gibson - Career was over in preseason when he lost a fumble, dude bounced back and ran hard
9: Dotson - Showed flashes of being a very good compliment to Terry.
10: Robinson - Did you guys know he got shot? I don't think the news mentioned that /S. Solid talent and pushed Gibson to be better.[/quote]

My guy likes skill positions and QB sacks and that's about it lol

skinsfaninok 01-12-2023 04:25 PM

[quote=MTK;1336106]Stole this idea from someone else, who were your top 10 players of this season?

My list would be

10. Dotson - impactful even with missing some time, showed he was worthy of a first round pick and his future looks very bright.

9. Forrest - seemingly came out of nowhere, playmaker, big hitter, smart, our safety group looks rock solid now. Led the team with 4 INTs.

8. Way - just another super solid season from Tress Way.

7. Gibson - no lost fumbles this year, over 900 yards rushing/receiving.

6. Curl - the QB of the defense, his loss is felt when he's not out there.

5. Robinson Jr. - nice rookie season, tough runner especially after contact, future looks bright.

4. Sweat - 8 sacks and plenty of impactful plays, still hasn't hit his ceiling IMO.

3. McLaurin - another very productive season despite musical chairs at QB. Also a leader on and off the field.

2. Payne - just a monster year with 11.5 sacks and 18 TFL, dude is about to get paid. Really hope we can retain him.

1. Allen - you can make the case that Payne had the better year at least statistically, but taking into account his leadership as well I'm giving the nod to Jon Allen as our best player of 2022. 7.5 sacks, 16 TFL, 17 QB pressures, he's a dawg.[/quote]

Its hard to argue this list, I would put Terry at 1 and Allen at 3 but thats about it