Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rudi Johnson to be traded? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24783)

GMScud 08-27-2008 11:37 PM

Rudi Johnson to be traded?

Per the 11pm SportsCenter:

The Bengals are so desperate for help at WR, even more so with Ocho Stinko's torn labrum, they have offered Rudi Johnson as trade bait. R. Johnson confirmed he's on his way out of town. Apparently Marvin Lewis is very high on Chris Perry and Kenny Watson has been solid, making Rudi expendable. So the question is, who has enough WR's and needs a RB badly enough to make this happen? Seattle? Detroit? Houston?

jsarno 08-27-2008 11:41 PM

Re: Rudi Johnson to be traded?

Not us...that's all that matters. I wouldn't touch this deal with a ten foot pole!!! Johnson is one step away from being done, anyone that gives up a quality WR for him is dumb.
Dallas? Phily? Giants??? I hope so.

GMScud 08-27-2008 11:47 PM

[quote=jsarno;468388]Not us...that's all that matters. I wouldn't touch this deal with a ten foot pole!!! Johnson is one step away from being done, anyone that gives up a quality WR for him is dumb.
Dallas? Phily? Giants??? I hope so.[/quote]

I think a lot people said similar things about another Cincy RB four of five years ago... Corey Dillon anyone? A supposedly selfish, old, malcontent that went on to get a few rings in NE. Not saying this is the case w/ Rudi, but he's not quite 29, and could really help a team thin at RB. I don't think Cincy expects a big time #1 WR in return either, especially since word is out about their desperation in the matter.

saden1 08-28-2008 12:04 AM

The good ol' mediocre Bengals are back folks.

wilsowilso 08-28-2008 12:07 AM

What the heck happened to Marvin Lewis with regards to him being a defensive guru?

DarkKnight 08-28-2008 01:23 AM

[QUOTE=wilsowilso;468394]What the heck happened to Marvin Lewis with regards to him being a defensive guru?[/QUOTE]

You need good defensive players?......

MTK 08-28-2008 09:20 AM

Does Rudi even have much left in the tank at this point? I heard that Perry could end up starting.

GoSkinsGoTerps 08-28-2008 09:48 AM

[quote=GMScud;468391]I think a lot people said similar things about another Cincy RB four of five years ago... Corey Dillon anyone? A supposedly selfish, old, malcontent that went on to get a few rings in NE. Not saying this is the case w/ Rudi, but he's not quite 29, and could really help a team thin at RB. I don't think Cincy expects a big time #1 WR in return either, especially since word is out about their desperation in the matter.[/quote]

NE has their way of putting together rusty parts to make just the right machine. I give them more credit than Dillon.

J. Spanky 08-28-2008 10:11 AM

green bay? or houston, maybe. supposedly ahman green is dangerously close to being cut.

dmek25 08-28-2008 10:21 AM

anyone that wants him here needs their head examined. he, in my opinion, still has some gas left in the tank. but running back is one position we don't need

mcarey032 08-28-2008 10:58 AM

He will more than likely be cut anyway. Teams won't give up anything in value and if they really want him, they will wait until he is released. Besides with other backs becoming available after Monday, it won't really matter if he is available for trade. Teams can find perfectly good backs out there on the waiver wire without having to give up a draft pick.

BDBohnzie 08-28-2008 11:18 AM

The first team I thought of was Arizona. Rudi and a draft pick for Boldin. Rudi would be a good backup to Edge, and would get a malcontent out of a situation. Not sure what the cap ramifications would be...

Rudi would be a decent starter or #2 on any team thin at RB. Houston doesn't have the WRs to part with.

But, it's really late in the game for Cincy to go out and get WR help and have the help be ready by next weekend.

GMScud 08-28-2008 11:19 AM

[quote=GoSkinsGoTerps;468456]NE has their way of putting together rusty parts to make just the right machine. I give them more credit than Dillon.[/quote]

I give them credit for going and getting Dillon, but he a reputation for being a malcontent in Cincy, and apparently he really changed his attitude and mind-set as a player upon his arrival in NE. He put together a few nice seasons for them.

Randy Moss too.

Rudi Johnson was a lock for 1300yds and 12TDs for a few years. I think he still has a little left in the tank. Green Bay is an interesting prospect because they do have some WRs to spare, although they just gave Ryan Grant a nice extension, and both Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn looked good for them last year before getting knicked up.

WestCoastSkinsFan 08-28-2008 11:20 AM

I think the Rudi rumors are pretty overblown. He's had one bad year, and it was due to injury. Remember how people were buzzing about how we should trade Portis (who had his first bad year due to injury, sound familiar?) and run with Betts a while back? This reminds me of that.

GMScud 08-28-2008 11:31 AM

[quote=WestCoastSkinsFan;468498]I think the Rudi rumors are pretty overblown. He's had one bad year, and it was due to injury. Remember how people were buzzing about how we should trade Portis (who had his first bad year due to injury, sound familiar?) and run with Betts a while back? This reminds me of that.[/quote]

I don't think it's too overblown...

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3557151]ESPN - Johnson expects Bengals to follow through with trade - NFL[/url]

SmootSmack 08-28-2008 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=J. Spanky;468468]green bay? or houston, maybe. supposedly ahman green is dangerously close to being cut.[/QUOTE]

Green just restructured his deal so he won't get cut

doughtydoubter 08-28-2008 12:41 PM

johnson...the whole cincy team just is a crumbling ship...
with ocho cinco hurt i just feel bad for carson palmer. maybe we can trade reed doughty for a pick to help them out?

jsarno 08-29-2008 11:05 PM

[quote=GMScud;468391]I think a lot people said similar things about another Cincy RB four of five years ago... Corey Dillon anyone? A supposedly selfish, old, malcontent that went on to get a few rings in NE. Not saying this is the case w/ Rudi, but he's not quite 29, and could really help a team thin at RB. I don't think Cincy expects a big time #1 WR in return either, especially since word is out about their desperation in the matter.[/quote]

Good points, but keep in mind I said 1 step away. He [b][i]could[/b][/i] help someone, but not for long...a year, maybe 2 max.
As matty pointed out, Perry has been rumored to start out there anyway. He obviously doesn't have much left in the tank.

JGisLordOfTheRings 08-30-2008 12:08 AM

[quote=doughtydoubter;468510]johnson...the whole cincy team just is a crumbling ship...
with ocho cinco hurt i just feel bad for carson palmer. [B]maybe we can trade reed doughty for a pick to help them out?[/B][/quote]

[IMG]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll143/nevahascards/what-you-did-there-i-see-itthumbnai.jpg[/IMG]
[URL="http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll143/nevahascards/what-you-did-there-i-see-itthumbnai.jpg"][/URL]

BugelDisciple 08-30-2008 04:24 PM

Rudi Johnson cut by the Bengals
[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3561014]ESPN - Bengals cut oft-injured RB Johnson; Perry to start - NFL[/url]

This is an absolute shock, the Bengals got nothing in return for Rudi who was great until the injury plagued season last year.

hagams 08-30-2008 07:00 PM

Yeah, they must know something the rest of the NFL doesn't. He really could be an asset somewhere, and now he's just floating around waiting to get picked up.

Ruhskins 08-30-2008 09:47 PM

So can we say that this will be Marvin Lewis' last year coaching the Bengals?

Paintrain 08-31-2008 09:01 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;469700]So can we say that this will be Marvin Lewis' last year coaching the Bengals?[/quote]

I doubt he makes it to Thanksgiving.

jsarno 09-01-2008 06:45 PM

[quote=hagams;469673][b]Yeah, they must know something the rest of the NFL doesn't.[/b] He really could be an asset somewhere, and now he's just floating around waiting to get picked up.[/quote]

No, they clearly know something that you do not, and several fans do not. Rudi Johnson has next to nothing left in the tank (dejavu), there was a reason the Bengals had absolutely 0 takers for a trade.

He's working out for the freakin lions...if he was any good, a REAL team would have already snatched him up.

GMScud 09-01-2008 07:05 PM

[quote=jsarno;470228]No, they clearly know something that you do not, and several fans do not. Rudi Johnson has next to nothing left in the tank (dejavu), there was a reason the Bengals had absolutely 0 takers for a trade.

He's working out for the freakin lions...if he was any good, a REAL team would have already snatched him up.[/quote]

He just signed with Detroit- 1 year deal.

djnemo65 09-01-2008 07:26 PM

I know it's been said but it is amazing how quickly these running backs flame out these days. Alexander went from MVP to out of the league in 2 years. Rudi Johnson is only one year removed from 3 consecutive 12 TD seasons. Was it always like this? I seem to remember guys playing a lot longer when I was a kid.

GMScud 09-01-2008 07:59 PM

[quote=djnemo65;470235]I know it's been said but it is amazing how quickly these running backs flame out these days. Alexander went from MVP to out of the league in 2 years. Rudi Johnson is only one year removed from 3 consecutive 12 TD seasons. Was it always like this? I seem to remember guys playing a lot longer when I was a kid.[/quote]

Well, the knock on both of Shuan and Rudi was toughness. They both ran fairly soft (more so with Shaun) and weren't really considered tough players. After Alexander's MVP year he got a big contract and just folded up.

djnemo65 09-01-2008 08:11 PM

[quote=GMScud;470248]Well, the knock on both of Shuan and Rudi was toughness. They both ran fairly soft (more so with Shaun) and weren't really considered tough players. After Alexander's MVP year he got a big contract and just folded up.[/quote]

Well Eddie George is a guy who didn't lack toughness, who went from the best in the league to 3 yards a carry in what seemed like a season. Larry Johnson is unfortunately looking to be the next in that tradition. Ahman Green went from 1800 yard seasons to a bum in no time flat. I don't think it's toughness so much, even though the I agree with you about Alexander being a softy (read somewhere that the reason he can't get a job is that he can't block or play special teams, so unless he is a feature back he is completely worthless). I think it's just a taxing position.

Maybe it's just that I remember the Emmitt's and Barry's while forgetting about people like Barry Foster and Christian Okoye.

GMScud 09-01-2008 08:26 PM

[quote=djnemo65;470252]Well Eddie George is a guy who didn't lack toughness, who went from the best in the league to 3 yards a carry in what seemed like a season. Larry Johnson is unfortunately looking to be the next in that tradition. Ahman Green went from 1800 yard seasons to a bum in no time flat. I don't think it's toughness so much, even though the I agree with you about Alexander being a softy (read somewhere that the reason he can't get a job is that he can't block or play special teams, so unless he is a feature back he is completely worthless). I think it's just a taxing position.

Maybe it's just that I remember the Emmitt's and Barry's while forgetting about people like Barry Foster and Christian Okoye.[/quote]

Just checked- Eddie George carried the ball 312+ times each of his first 8 seasons, had over 1000 yards in 7 of them and never missed a game. That's severely taxing, plus he ran so upright that he just took a pounding.

I think Herman Edwards just likes pounding RB's into retirement. He did it to Curtis Martin, and is on the way to doing that to LJ, although both of those guys are super tough.

Ahman Green suddenly turned into a walking groin injury.

But yeah, I just think it all comes down to RB being a brutally physical position. Isn't the average career for RB's like 2.3 seasons or something?

djnemo65 09-01-2008 08:30 PM

[quote=GMScud;470255]
Ahman Green suddenly turned into [B]a walking groin injury[/B][/quote]

There's something really disturbing about the image of a walking groin injury.

doughtydoubter 09-01-2008 10:56 PM

ouch..walking groin..

SmootSmack 09-02-2008 07:20 AM

Looks like Rudi Johnson is heading to Detroit

mcarey032 09-02-2008 08:11 PM

I knew that Cincinnati wouldn't be able to get anything for him. The minute that news went out there that he was going to be traded, I didn't think that they were going to keep him and there wouldn't be a team stupid enough out there to give them something for a guy who is coming off an injury. I think that it is a good move by the lions to take a chance on a guy who may surprise some people and it only cost them one year and probably the vet min.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-02-2008 10:16 PM

[URL="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/02/rudis-crazy-day-in-detroit/"]This[/URL] is probably the strangest story I have read in a long time.

SmootSmack 09-02-2008 10:42 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;470675][URL="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/02/rudis-crazy-day-in-detroit/"]This[/URL] is probably the strangest story I have read in a long time.[/quote]

That's hilarious. Straight out of the School of Albert Connell

Dirtbag59 09-02-2008 11:23 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;470327]Looks like Rudi Johnson is heading to Detroit[/quote]

Probably a perfect hit considering the fact that Detroit wants to implement a smash mouth attack and Kevin Smith, while promising, isn't exactly a sure shot. Though neither is Johnson, still at least Rudi has a track record (of course track records for Running Backs can be a bad thing).