Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Did we get lucky not to be called for PI? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25408)

hooskins 09-22-2008 09:56 PM

Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

Not to be a debbie downer, but during the Cardinals last play it looked like Fletch ran into the Cards back in the flats. he clearly hit him before the ball got in the area, and being at the game I remember the crowd got really silent then.

Check out the video and let me know, it happens at 2:40

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b02019"]NFL Video Galleries[/URL]

DirtyLandry 09-22-2008 09:59 PM

Re: Did we get lucky not to be called for PI?

You can't really say lucky with the terrible job the NFL officials have been doing this year. Seems like every team has been equally affected with maybe the exception of the Chargers.

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:03 PM

Fair enough, but do you think it was PI?

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:07 PM

Wow, yeah I didn't catch that before. Contact looked awfully early. I also think Leigh Torrence was lucky not to get a PI on the ball that hit him in the head and landed in Carlos' hands. Oh, and that delay of game called on Arizona with 1 second on the playclock that negated a TD...

whew... I guess we can't whine about officiating for a while.

DiehardSkin88 09-22-2008 10:08 PM

Not PI. The ball was terribly overthrown, they're not supposed to call pass interference if its a terrible ball

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:09 PM

[quote=GMScud;479981]Wow, yeah I didn't catch that before. [B]Contact looked awfully early. I also think Leigh Torrence was lucky not to get a PI on the ball that hit him in the head and landed in Carlos' hands.[/B] Oh, and that delay of game called on Arizona with 1 second on the playclock that negated a TD...

whew... I guess we can't whine about officiating for a while.[/quote]
Really? I felt it was was a good play, dont think he touched the WR, but I will go back and look at it.

But as for the play I posted, yeah I felt we really lucked out because if called the Cards get a first down and continue driving down the field.

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:11 PM

[quote=DiehardSkin88;479982]Not PI. [B] The ball was terribly overthrown,[/B] they're not supposed to call pass interference if its a terrible ball[/quote]

Really? Go back and look at it. The reason it looked overthrown was because Fletch knocked him over before it got there. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there was no flag, but I think there should have been.

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:13 PM

[quote=hooskins;479983]Really? I felt it was was a good play, dont think he touched the WR, but I will go back and look at it.

But as for the play I posted, yeah I felt we really lucked out because if called the Cards get a first down and continue driving down the field.[/quote]

Torrence definitely made some early contact, but nothing egregious. It could have been flagged for sure though.

DirtyLandry 09-22-2008 10:13 PM

Yeah he got there early but on the same token I think they called Los for PI on a crucial 3rd down for them and from what I saw on that replay it was a complete BS call. Point is, they had a few go they're way too.

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:14 PM

GMScud, yeah im not too sure, seems like Fletch got a good hit before the pass. But I guess that's why im asking you all.

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:15 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;479987]Yeah he got there early but on the same token I think they called Los for PI on a crucial 3rd down for them and from what I saw on that replay it was a complete BS call. Point is, they had a few go they're way too.[/quote]

Sure, and Devin Thomas really didn't push off compared to other receivers, but that doesnt change the fact we might have gotten a bit lucky it wasn't called because it seemed like an obvious call to me.

CRedskinsRule 09-22-2008 10:18 PM

[quote=GMScud;479985]Really? Go back and look at it. The reason it looked overthrown was because Fletch knocked him over before it got there. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there was no flag, but I think there should have been.[/quote]
It was within the first five yards of the line of scrimmage if that makes a difference. I think it does, but that was a heck of a hit.

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:19 PM

hmm, this and the heyer penalty, wow I really need to brush up on the NFL Rulebook because I have no idea.

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:19 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;479987]Yeah he got there early but on the same token I think they called Los for PI on a crucial 3rd down for them and from what I saw on that replay it was a complete BS call. Point is, they had a few go they're way too.[/quote]

Not only did he get there early but it looked like he kinda just decked him before the ball got there. Granted it was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, but that couldn't have been legal.

Yeah, that PI on Carlos on that 3rd down was really ticky tack.

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:22 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;479993][B]It was within the first five yards of the line of scrimmage if that makes a difference.[/B] I think it does, but that was a heck of a hit.[/quote]

It makes a difference as far as contact is concerned, but I think it just means you can jam a guy, not flat out deck a dude to the ground when the ball is on the way. I wish I had a copy of the rule book.

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:24 PM

[quote=GMScud;479996]It makes a difference as far as contact is concerned, but I think it just means you can jam a guy, not flat out deck a dude to the ground when the ball is on the way. I wish I had a copy of the rule book.[/quote]
[url=http://www.nfl.com/rulebook]NFL Rulebook[/url]
Anyone bored, lol? I am a bit too lazy to look at it..

DirtyLandry 09-22-2008 10:27 PM

[quote=hooskins;479994]hmm, this and the heyer penalty, wow I really need to brush up on the NFL Rulebook because I have no idea.[/quote]

They were saying on Comcast postgame live that that the league office had sent a letter to officials a week before stating to "keep the players safe". Still a lame ass call.

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:31 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;480002]They were saying on Comcast postgame live that that the league office had sent a letter to officials a week before stating to "keep the players safe". Still a lame ass call.[/quote]
Thats bullshit, because the refs need to call the game by the book. If the comish wants to hand out punishment after the game, then so be it.

724Skinsfan 09-22-2008 10:33 PM

[quote=DiehardSkin88;479982]Not PI. The ball was terribly overthrown, they're not supposed to call pass interference if its a terrible ball[/quote]

I agree. I'm not so sure that the ball was catchable. But, I think it's hard to say from that angle.
As for Leigh Torrence, he clearly had position to make the catch. PI isn't really all that debatable on that play:

[I]Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:
e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.
[/I]

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:33 PM

[quote=hooskins;480001][URL="http://www.nfl.com/rulebook"]NFL Rulebook[/URL]
Anyone bored, lol? I am a bit too lazy to look at it..[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the link, but my eyes are too tired for all that legalese-type talk right now.

WaldSkins 09-22-2008 10:39 PM

[quote=GMScud;479981]Wow, yeah I didn't catch that before. Contact looked awfully early. [B]I also think Leigh Torrence was lucky not to get a PI on the ball that hit him in the head and landed in Carlos' hands.[/B] Oh, and that delay of game called on Arizona with 1 second on the playclock that negated a TD...

I think this was a good no call. The ball was clearly under thrown and the defender has as much rite to the ball as the receiver. No PI

DirtyLandry 09-22-2008 10:41 PM

[quote=hooskins;480005]Thats bullshit, because the refs need to call the game by the book. If the comish wants to hand out punishment after the game, then so be it.[/quote]

Agreed. At first I liked the Goodell hire, but every passing day it seems like he's not so good for the game.

CRedskinsRule 09-22-2008 10:45 PM

I think we need JoeRedskins help! I looked at the rule book and the play and the rule book and the play. Good thing I 'm not a lawyer!!!:laughing2
personally, none of the Cards were screaming(not even Warner) so it was probably ok

GMScud 09-22-2008 10:46 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;480007]I agree. I'm not so sure that the ball was catchable. But, I think it's hard to say from that angle.
As for Leigh Torrence, he clearly had position to make the catch. PI isn't really all that debatable on that play:
[I][B]Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:
e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball. [/B]
[/I][/quote]

Good call. Right you are. Or right the officials were I guess. ;)

hooskins 09-22-2008 10:49 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;480017]I think we need JoeRedskins help! I looked at the rule book and the play and the rule book and the play. Good thing I 'm not a lawyer!!!:laughing2
personally, none of the Cards were screaming(not even Warner) so it was probably ok[/quote]

The Cards fans sitting around me were going crazy and us Skins fans were hella quiet. At the game and looking at the replay it just looks ify to me.

CRedskinsRule 09-22-2008 10:52 PM

ok, wish i coulda been there being silent, anyway, i was just talking about the player that was popped. he just got up and went on with it, at least in the video. either way, glad it went our way.

rypper11 09-22-2008 11:14 PM

By rule, neither play was PI. Torrence was in perfect position (for a change) and has every right to go for the ball. Look at Fletcher's play at the end in slow motion, the Cardinal tripped over his own feet.
As for the Cards delay of game, there is no way to tell. I don't know of an angle that shows the snap that has a playclock in it too. I do believe that most of the D stopped while the official was running in before the ball was snapped so the play wouldn't have gone for a TD anyway.

hooskins 09-22-2008 11:21 PM

[quote=rypper11;480040]By rule, neither play was PI. Torrence was in perfect position (for a change) and has every right to go for the ball.[B] Look at Fletcher's play at the end in slow motion, the Cardinal tripped over his own feet.[/B]
As for the Cards delay of game, there is no way to tell. I don't know of an angle that shows the snap that has a playclock in it too. I do believe that most of the D stopped while the official was running in before the ball was snapped so the play wouldn't have gone for a TD anyway.[/quote]

I've seen the play about 20 times in all kinds of mos and he didn't trip over his own feet. Fletch hit him first then he fell, which looks like a trip.

53Fan 09-23-2008 12:33 AM

Absolutely. I think they got pretty lucky too. Like on that BS call against Heyer. We have a TD called back on a foul that had nothing to do with the play itself.

FRPLG 09-23-2008 08:43 AM

That crew was awful on Sunday. I really thought they were poor. How many OPIs get called a year? Like 10? And Thomas gets flagged for 2? I know they ok calls but OPIs have to be pretty egregious. I just thought they were bad. Way too many flags.

MTK 09-23-2008 08:46 AM

I guess Fletcher could have been called but honestly who cares. If you go over any game with a fine tooth comb you'll find dozens of non calls and plenty of blown calls every Sunday.

EternalEnigma21 09-23-2008 08:50 AM

Torrences play was completely legal and hella coverage. I'm not sure if it was the same play or nor, but once yesterday there was a pass toward the flats that was tipped at the line and one of our LBs flattened the back before the ball got there, which is legal. I can't watch the vid on my BB. We were batting balls like crazy too. Hella batting. Hella cool.

ArtMonkDrillz 09-23-2008 09:04 AM

[quote=GMScud;479981]Wow, yeah I didn't catch that before. Contact looked awfully early. I also think Leigh Torrence was lucky not to get a PI on the ball that hit him in the head and landed in Carlos' hands. Oh, and that delay of game called on Arizona with 1 second on the playclock that negated a TD...

whew... I guess we can't whine about officiating for a while.[/quote]I really have to disagree with you about both of these calls. I was sitting in the endzone that the Cards were headed towards on both of these plays and I feel like I had a pretty good angle.

I always pay way too much attention to the game clock when I'm at the games. From where I was sitting I could see the play clock just over the line of scrimmage and on the particular play that the refs flagged I was actually counting down the last 5 seconds out loud to my buddies. The ref blew the whistle right when the clock hit :00 as he should have. The Redskins pretty much all stopped when the whistle blew and thats why the guy from the cards could just walk into the endzone like he did.

As for the non-PI call on the Rogers INT I really thought that Torrence started to look back but the WR was already right behind him jumping for the ball so Torrence just sort of hopped up and poked it out. The other thing is that the play happened so far down field that if a ref had decided to throw a flag it would have only been because he was guessing that there was probably illegal contact. It was a good no call, IMO (as biased as I am).

MTK 09-23-2008 09:18 AM

To me it looked like Torrence was playing the ball so it was a good non-call.

firstdown 09-23-2008 09:42 AM

Well if you looking at the rules does this mea that the Hyer (spelling) penalty should have benn assessed on the following kick off.
[url=http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltyenforced]NFL Rules Digest: Penalty Enforced on Following Kickoff[/url]

horse 09-23-2008 12:54 PM

How about the horseshit call on the D. Thomas touchdown, Or the pi that got them downfield for a score. I don't get this question. Is it like are we cheaters? should we have lost?

horse 09-23-2008 12:57 PM

[quote=GMScud;479981]Wow, yeah I didn't catch that before. Contact looked awfully early. I also think Leigh Torrence was lucky not to get a PI on the ball that hit him in the head and landed in Carlos' hands. Oh, and that delay of game called on Arizona with 1 second on the playclock that negated a TD...

Jesus who do you root for the Cards? We have plenty to whine about, We got jerkedoff on a terrible pi call that led to the giants only td, And how about Aaron glenn throwing Moss down by his head. And it goes on and on and on.

over the mountain 09-23-2008 01:07 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;479993]It was within the first five yards of the line of scrimmage if that makes a difference. I think it does, but that was a heck of a hit.[/quote]

thank you man. it was 3rd and 4 and fletch made contact about 2 yards past the line of scrimmage. not terribly hard to figure out . . .

go skins!!

DiehardSkin88 09-23-2008 01:23 PM

I just went back and looked at it, it was a good call in my opinion, and im not just being biased. You can make contact with a receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, he didnt hit him more so went to cover the quick flat and simply ran into him.

CRedskinsRule 09-23-2008 07:02 PM

[quote=firstdown;480156]Well if you looking at the rules does this mea that the Hyer (spelling) penalty should have benn assessed on the following kick off.
[url=http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltyenforced]NFL Rules Digest: Penalty Enforced on Following Kickoff[/url][/quote]

Thanks, that seems pretty clear!