Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mr. and Mrs. Cooley's love story, written by Chris (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23560)

Monkeydad 05-22-2008 10:30 AM

Mr. and Mrs. Cooley's love story, written by Chris

(From Yahoo's front page this morning)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:28 am EDT
[B][B][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=#011740]The Cooley Zone: My Redskins cheerleader-turned-Redskins wife[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/B]

By Chris Cooley

[URL="http://www.maximonline.com/girls_of_maxim/cheerleaders/washington.html"][COLOR=#0069aa]Christy[/COLOR][/URL] stepped through my back door two Julys ago. She walked into the house like she had climbed out of a poster in my high school bedroom. Past fashionably late, she had given me way too much time to sit and drink, and I knew it would be hard not to make an ass out of myself. By the time I was face to face with my favorite Redskins cheerleader, all I could muster was a shrugged shoulder handshake.

It was a Saturday night in the summertime and Christy was thinking about me. I would have never known what she had on her mind, but I couldn't keep my eyes off her. She confessed that it wasn't coincidence that brought her to the house and she was prepared. If looks were bait then I was hooked. She dressed to make men panic, but beyond that she was beautiful. Her smile was incredible and she had something terribly contagious in her eyes. Awkward glances and stares filled the room, and before the night ended I knew that I wanted more.

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/07/AR2007080701740.html?sub=AR"][COLOR=#0069aa]As a couple early on we were controversial[/COLOR][/URL], but entirely smooth. Rumors followed everywhere we went. Keeping a secret became hard when there wasn't a secret to start. It turned out a picture of the two of us had been leaked to the Redskins. Christy was fired from cheerleading two weeks after we started dating. Since her big paycheck ($75 a game) had come to an end, at least the sneaking around was over.

As we moved through the season, I fell in love with her. We went through a lot of weird stuff, but it never fazed either of us. Maybe her dad brainwashed me one of the nights I passed out at her house, because no matter what happened, I was crazy about her. More likely it was her mom, since I was usually trying to impress the old man by drinking him under the table.

It's amazing that the lastthree years together have gone by so fast. I'm getting married this Friday evening. I asked Christy to be my wife nine months ago, and I'm a lucky man; she chose to be with me. I think she has learned being with a football player is harder than it looks. She is looked through countless times by surrounding football fans, and the funny thing is Christy should be getting the attention. Not to mention she has to put up with my terrible attitude five months out of the year (A.K.A. football season).

While I can't wait to put the ring on I've had some resoundingly bad conversations over the last couple of months. Golf may have an uncountable list of ethics, though bothering a complete stranger about getting married is not one of them. First of all, I'm excited for the big day, so please don't feel sorry for me because marriage sucks for you. No, I'm not nervous, I don't want any marriage advice, and yes Christy's mom is still hot.

From the moment Christy said "yes" the plans began. I have to admit I haven't been the most avid planning participant, but one thing I was put in charge of was the seating. I'll say this: It should at least be an interesting night. I've had calls from numerous wedding guests, most recently Dan Snyder's assistant asking what table they could find their seats. Obviously my easiest seating solution, anywhere you can find a chair. I'm not trying to stick Dan with my drunken uncle, but drawing up all those name tags was way over my head.

I'm hoping for a huge night on Friday. We've paid for two open bars, and invited nothing short of an [I][URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/"][COLOR=#0069aa]Animal House[/COLOR][/URL][/I] cast of characters. Although I hope Clinton's friends -- [URL="http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=14145"][COLOR=#0069aa]Southeast Jerome and co.[/COLOR][/URL] -- don't crash the party. After our vows the only promise I will make is to not stuff the cake all over Christy's face. The rest of the reception is free game. It will certainly be a night to remember.

[I][URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6840/"][COLOR=#0069aa]Chris Cooley[/COLOR][/URL] is a Pro Bowl tight end for the [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/was/"][COLOR=#0069aa]Washington Redskins[/COLOR][/URL] and blogs every Wednesday here on [URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner"][COLOR=#0069aa]Shutdown Corner[/COLOR][/URL]. [URL="http://chriscooley47.blogspot.com/"][COLOR=#0069aa]Read more from Cooley on his personal blog[/COLOR][/URL], where he gets awesome all the time.[/I]

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Cooley-Zone-My-Redskins-cheerleader-turned-?urn=nfl,83661]The Cooley Zone: My Redskins cheerleader-turned-Redskins wife - Shutdown Co... - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

[IMG]http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__3/ept_sports_nfl_experts-979826783-1211379478.jpg?ymYMca_CXKd3YHhU[/IMG]

snoopy 05-22-2008 10:45 AM

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Cooley's love story, written by Chris

no wonder hes happy and singing bon jovi smoking stoages and having a few beers

killromo 05-22-2008 10:46 AM

I saw this on yahoo, she is hottt! and he is a drunkkkk!

GMScud 05-22-2008 10:51 AM

Great story. But there he goes talking about the heavy drinking again. I think it's great that he's a guy's guy, but he really should taper that talk a bit.

redsk1 05-22-2008 10:56 AM

It must not suck to be Chris Cooley. That's one wedding that i'd like to be at. A mixture of Cooley & his friends, Dan Snyder, Clinton, and his drunk uncle.

MTK 05-22-2008 11:03 AM

Here we go again with the people that can't handle the fact that a guy in his 20's likes to drink. :doh:

Monkeydad 05-22-2008 11:19 AM

I want to see what Portis wears to the wedding. :)

Monkeydad 05-22-2008 11:20 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;449567]Here we go again with the people that can't handle the fact that a guy in his 20's likes to drink. :doh:[/quote]

They're just jealous of him!

GMScud 05-22-2008 11:24 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;449567]Here we go again with the people that can't handle the fact that a guy in his 20's likes to drink. :doh:[/quote]

I'm in my 20's and I like to drink. I have no issue with the act itself. But it seems like in every post he makes he's talking about getting hammered. I think he needs to be a careful about that. I don't see any other NFL stars blogging about drinking their future father in law "under the table." Cooley is probably my favorite Redskin now that Sean has passed. I just don't want to see him take any heat for it.

GMScud 05-22-2008 11:32 AM

[quote=Buster;449569]They're just jealous of him![/quote]

actually I'm happy for him.

MTK 05-22-2008 11:35 AM

I don't see many other NFL players blogging period. So we really don't know what other players do off the field. I would guess a good number of them drink. As long as he plays at a Pro Bowl level I don't think he's going to see much heat, and if he does I'm sure he can handle it.

LBrown43 05-22-2008 12:01 PM

We can't expect these guys to not have any fun. Hell Max McGee was hung over in Super Bowl II and should have been MVP.
Do what you want off the field (with in reason of course....not Pacman crap) but bring your game when on the field.
If god had only blessed me with athletic ability......

Manusky91 05-22-2008 12:05 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;449574]I don't see many other NFL players blogging period. So we really don't know what other players do off the field. I would guess a good number of them drink. As long as he plays at a Pro Bowl level I don't think he's going to see much heat, and if he does I'm sure he can handle it.[/quote]

Absolutely, I was at wedding and hung out with someone who plays for the Giants. He was freakin wrecked. He even bummed a smoke.

Letting loose a little in the off-season won't destroy these guys performance on the field. It will only allow them to maintain sanity, much like when we were 25.

skinsfan69 05-22-2008 12:55 PM

[quote=GMScud;449572]I'm in my 20's and I like to drink. I have no issue with the act itself. But it seems like in every post he makes he's talking about getting hammered. I think he needs to be a careful about that. I don't see any other NFL stars blogging about drinking their future father in law "under the table." Cooley is probably my favorite Redskin now that Sean has passed. I just don't want to see him take any heat for it.[/quote]

Chill out bro. I understand what you're saying but Cooley isn't James Thrash. He likes to party and have a good time like I'm sure a lot of guys do. I'm sure once the season starts he takes care of business.

skinsfan69 05-22-2008 01:00 PM

[quote=Manusky91;449577]Absolutely, I was at wedding and hung out with someone who plays for the Giants. He was freakin wrecked. He even bummed a smoke.

Letting loose a little in the off-season won't destroy these guys performance on the field. It will only allow them to maintain sanity, much like when we were 25.[/quote]

I once saw Charles Woodson at a lounge called 1223 in D.C. a few years ago. In one hand he had a bottle of champaign and in the other he had a smoke. True story. He had several good looking women with him too! He was def having a good time. I was a little shocked when I saw him smoking but no big deal. He wasn't breaking any laws. I know for sure Sonny Jurgenson and Billy Kilmer did a lot worse than that.

SC Skins Fan 05-22-2008 01:03 PM

[quote=GMScud;449572]I'm in my 20's and I like to drink. I have no issue with the act itself. But it seems like in every post he makes he's talking about getting hammered. I think he needs to be a careful about that. I don't see any other NFL stars blogging about drinking their future father in law "under the table." Cooley is probably my favorite Redskin now that Sean has passed. I just don't want to see him take any heat for it.[/quote]

I'm in my 20's too (only a few months older than Chris Cooley actually), but I agree with you here. It isn't worth talking about drinking all time and, quite frankly, for people whose bodies are their livelihood it does not make a whole lot of sense to drink period. Obviously a lot of sports players do, but as a matter of economic rationality it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (like riding motorcycles or playing pick-up basketball). Not illegal (as long as you aren't driving) but not really the smartest thing to do and does have an effect on your body (even if you can compete at a high level, if you are using alcohol on a consistent basis you are not maximizing your physical potential [URL="http://www.uhs.uga.edu/aod/athletic-performance.html"]University Health Center | AOD | Alcohol and Athletic Performance[/URL]). I don't know how much Chris Cooley drinks, and so far there has not been any problem so obviously he can do as he wants, but there is more negative that can come from drinking than positive. If nothing else talking about getting hammered opens you to criticism so it is probably in his own interest to keep it out of the blogging.

cowboy_killa 05-22-2008 01:31 PM

She's Hot, and one other thing does Chris Cooley remind you of a great redskin from the past that drank after practice i.e. John Riggins the 5:00 club "EL PRESIDENTE". Come guys give him a break as long as he doesn't start beating his wife then I'm cool w/ Cooly's Drinking.

hooskins 05-22-2008 01:32 PM

[quote=cowboy_killa;449589]She's Hot, [B]and one other thing does Chris Cooley remind you of a great redskin from the past that drank after practice i.e. John Riggins the 5:00 club "EL PRESIDENTE".[/B] Come guys give him a break as long as he doesn't start beating his wife then I'm cool w/ Cooly's Drinking.[/quote]

Good point. I am sure you think Riggo was bad for the skins, GMscud?

Schneed10 05-22-2008 01:32 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;449574]I don't see many other NFL players blogging period. So we really don't know what other players do off the field. I would guess a good number of them drink. As long as he plays at a Pro Bowl level I don't think he's going to see much heat, and if he does I'm sure he can handle it.[/quote]

It's not the act of drinking that's the problem. Cooley has clearly been partying it up the last few years, and he made the Pro Bowl, so obviously there's not a concern from a performance standpoint. The drinking itself isn't the issue, like you say, tons of guys around the league are doing the same thing for sure.

But they're not talking about it publicly like this. Cooley's opening himself up for some criticism the second he has one bad game.

In the end performance reigns supreme, so this is a small issue, and come the season it'll be nothing to worry about. It's just not the smartest decision to write about it.

hooskins 05-22-2008 01:36 PM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;449585]I'm in my 20's too (only a few months older than Chris Cooley actually), but I agree with you here. It isn't worth talking about drinking all time and, quite frankly, for people whose bodies are their livelihood it does not make a whole lot of sense to drink period. Obviously a lot of sports players do, but as a matter of economic rationality it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (like riding motorcycles or playing pick-up basketball). Not illegal (as long as you aren't driving) but not really the smartest thing to do and does have an effect on your body (even if you can compete at a high level, if you are using alcohol on a consistent basis you are not maximizing your physical potential [URL="http://www.uhs.uga.edu/aod/athletic-performance.html"]University Health Center | AOD | Alcohol and Athletic Performance[/URL]). I don't know how much Chris Cooley drinks, and so far there has not been any problem so obviously he can do as he wants, but there is more negative that can come from drinking than positive. If nothing else talking about getting hammered opens you to criticism so it is probably in his own interest to keep it out of the blogging.[/quote]

Fair enough, but another thing with Cooley is he is much more than a football player. he has other things in life he cares about(friends, family, fun) and he isn't one of those guys who is gonna let football change who he is. I like that in a person, who stays true to who he is. Maybe booze does slow him down a bit, but does he care? Probably not, and neither do I. Because we all have one life to live, enjoy it.

MTK 05-22-2008 01:43 PM

Much to do about nothing here if you ask me. If anything Cooley is guilty of being too honest. He's not doing anything illegal.

He frequently blogs about good times he's had with friends and family and like most of us stories like that frequently involve drinking. I think because of that it might seem like he drinks more than he probably really does.

If anyone has paid attention he's also posted videos of him working out at Redskins Park. Maybe he needs to do more of that to prove he's not drinking 24/7.

SC Skins Fan 05-22-2008 02:15 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;449595]Much to do about nothing here if you ask me. If anything Cooley is guilty of being too honest. He's not doing anything illegal.

[b]He frequently blogs about good times he's had with friends and family and like most of us stories like that frequently involve drinking. I think because of that it might seem like he drinks more than he probably really does.[/b]

If anyone has paid attention he's also posted videos of him working out at Redskins Park. Maybe he needs to do more of that to prove he's not drinking 24/7.[/quote]

I think that is a fair point. Personally, I've never seen anything good come from alcohol consumption, so I do come at this issue with a certain set of life experiences.

GMScud 05-22-2008 03:06 PM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;449585]I'm in my 20's too (only a few months older than Chris Cooley actually), but I agree with you here. It isn't worth talking about drinking all time and, quite frankly, for people whose bodies are their livelihood it does not make a whole lot of sense to drink period. Obviously a lot of sports players do, but as a matter of economic rationality it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (like riding motorcycles or playing pick-up basketball). Not illegal (as long as you aren't driving) but not really the smartest thing to do and does have an effect on your body (even if you can compete at a high level, if you are using alcohol on a consistent basis you are not maximizing your physical potential [URL="http://www.uhs.uga.edu/aod/athletic-performance.html"]University Health Center | AOD | Alcohol and Athletic Performance[/URL]). [B]I don't know how much Chris Cooley drinks, and so far there has not been any problem so obviously he can do as he wants, but there is more negative that can come from drinking than positive. If nothing else talking about getting hammered opens you to criticism so it is probably in his own interest to keep it out of the blogging.[/B][/quote]

Hallelujah!! Someone sees what I'm saying. I guess I wasn't being clear enough, although I thought I was.

I never said he shouldn't drink, I said he shouldn't brag about it so much. Period. He's not in college anymore. It obviously doesn't affect his on field performance, but there's no need to mention drinking your future father in law "under the table." I'm glad he's an honest dude, but he's going a tad overboard.

GMScud 05-22-2008 03:08 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;449595]Much to do about nothing here if you ask me. If anything Cooley is guilty of being too honest. He's not doing anything illegal.

He frequently blogs about good times he's had with friends and family and like most of us stories like that frequently involve drinking. I think because of that it might seem like he drinks more than he probably really does.

[B] If anyone has paid attention he's also posted videos of him working out at Redskins Park. Maybe he needs to do more of that to prove he's not drinking 24/7.[/B][/quote]

Is anyone insinuating he's drinking 24/7? I don't know how many different ways I have to say it. I have NO ISSUE with him drinking. I have an issue with him bragging about it in nearly every blog he posts. This isn't a college kid's myspace page. It's a nationally read blog on Yahoo. He's a probowl NFL TE. He shouldn't quit drinking, but he should quit glorifying it so openly.

GMScud 05-22-2008 03:10 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;449583]Chill out bro. I understand what you're saying but Cooley isn't James Thrash. He likes to party and have a good time like I'm sure a lot of guys do. I'm sure once the season starts he takes care of business.[/quote]

ARGGGGHHHH!!! Read my posts BRO! I never said he shouldn't party!!!!

skinsguy 05-22-2008 03:17 PM

Only issue I'd have with him blogging about drinking would be glorifying the drinking to younger, under aged folks who might happen to read his blog. Other than that, I see good points on both sides of the fence.

Well, to be honest, I just really have issue with Chris not providing more pictures of his hottie girl! :-D

mooby 05-22-2008 03:49 PM

I don't care about his drinking as long as it doesn't become a problem and he keeps it seperate from his football life. As for talking about it on his blog, well I'm sure he knows by being open like he is that he is opening himself up to criticism as well, so if it comes he will handle it.

Besides, how many people have read an athlete's blog and thought, man this guy's blog is so boring, he doesn't really go into detail and he always keeps everything PG in it. I wish he'd open up more so we could truly get a better idea of what he's like, instead of getting the impression that he's a stiff necked a-hole who's constantly concerned about his image.

Well, I'd rather have a Chris Cooley, who so far has been pretty much open about everything and isn't concerned what people think of him, than a guy like that.

skinsfan69 05-22-2008 04:00 PM

[quote=GMScud;449607]ARGGGGHHHH!!! Read my posts BRO! I never said he shouldn't party!!!![/quote]

I did. I hear what you're sayin. I just like that the dude is being honest.

GMScud 05-22-2008 04:00 PM

[quote=mooby;449612]I don't care about his drinking as long as it doesn't become a problem and he keeps it seperate from his football life. As for talking about it on his blog, well I'm sure he knows by being open like he is that he is opening himself up to criticism as well, so if it comes he will handle it.

Besides, how many people have read a athlete's blog and thought, man this guy's blog is so boring, he doesn't really go into detail and he always keeps everything PG in it. I wish he'd open up more so we could truly get a better idea of what he's like, instead of getting the impression that he's a stiff necked a-hole who's constantly concerned about his image.
Well, I'd rather have a Chris Cooley, who so far has been pretty much open about everything so far and isn't concerned what people think of him, than a guy like that.[/quote]

Best post so far in this thread. Very well said. Especially the part about other athletes' blogs being so boring. I guess it's kind of a two-way street for me. I really like the guy and love hearing his funny, REAL stories, I just don't want to see the media rip him.

hooskins 05-22-2008 04:09 PM

[quote=GMScud;449616]Best post so far in this thread. Very well said. Especially the part about other athletes' blogs being so boring. I guess it's kind of a two-way street for me. I really like the guy and love hearing his funny, REAL stories, I just don't want to see the media rip him.[/quote]

Well the media "rips" everyone. See Portis, Arenas, etc. but it only matters if the athlete lets it get to them. Cooley doesn't seem like the type to be phased by crap like that, so to me it's a complete non-issue.

hesscl34 05-22-2008 04:22 PM

I like his honesty. At least his wife knows exactly what she's getting.. LOL

GMScud 05-22-2008 06:33 PM

[quote=hooskins;449617]Well the media "rips" everyone. See Portis, Arenas, etc. but it only matters if the athlete lets it get to them. Cooley doesn't seem like the type to be phased by crap like that, so to me it's a complete non-issue.[/quote]

Yes and no. Ripping someone for their quirky comments (Arenas) or funny costumes/dog fighting comments (Portis) is very different than ripping someone for substance intake/abuse, be it legal or illegal.

SmootSmack 05-22-2008 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;449583]Chill out bro. I understand what you're saying but Cooley isn't James Thrash. He likes to party and have a good time like I'm sure a lot of guys do. [B]I'm sure once the season starts he takes care of business.[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, and I don't want to take this off topic...but, how is it that you don't have the same view of Jason Taylor who has spent a decade showing that he takes care of business when the season starts?

As for Cooley, I don't think any of us have ever had any reason to truly question his work ethic or performance and I think some might be reading too much into what he writes.

GMScud 05-22-2008 08:01 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;449635]I agree, and I don't want to take this off topic...but, how is it that you don't have the same view of Jason Taylor who has spent a decade showing that he takes care of business when the season starts?

As for Cooley, I don't think any of us have ever had any reason to truly question his work ethic or performance and I think some might be reading too much into what he writes.[/quote]

For me, the blog thing has never been about his performance. He's obviously been the same cool, party loving dude for a while, and has always excelled on the football field regardless. Plus (knock on wood) he never misses a game. I don't think anyone here has questioned his work ethic.

But I'm really not sure why it's so hard for people here to see that an NFL star blogging repeatedly about heavy drinking could eventually be a problem.

GMScud 05-22-2008 08:29 PM

Anyway, all this stuff aside, Chris is getting married tomorrow (I'm sure the bachelor party tonight will be epic). I wish him a beautiful wedding and a happy and healthy marriage. A wedding is certainly an occasion where it's acceptable to booze it up AND talk about it. So I look forward to reading his blog next week (or the week after if he's not blogging on his honeymoon). That one should be really entertaining.

Skinny Tee 05-22-2008 11:58 PM

Chris has been getting a lot of national exposure recently. From his blog to his rants about rookies getting too much out of college. I heard his name a lot this offseason.

HOGTIMUS PRIME 05-23-2008 05:05 AM

What a wonderful love story, especially the part where he passes out in front of his future father in law, but I have to ask the question I thought he was married at the time and all of this happened behind his wife's back? I thought I remembered something like that going on, not that I was really keeping up with the whole thing, does anyone know for sure? Or am I confusing his situation with someone else?

SC Skins Fan 05-23-2008 08:20 AM

[quote=HOGTIMUS PRIME;449678]What a wonderful love story, especially the part where he passes out in front of his future father in law, but I have to ask the question I thought he was married at the time and all of this happened behind his wife's back? I thought I remembered something like that going on, not that I was really keeping up with the whole thing, does anyone know for sure? Or am I confusing his situation with someone else?[/quote]

You remember wrong. But I actually do think he was married briefly once before (before the NFL I think). I'm pretty sure I read that in a Washington Post article a couple of years ago. ... And after a brief search I found the link from January 2006 ... I wish I could remember important stuff the same way I collect stupid tidbits about the NFL.

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/06/AR2006010602033.html"]Captain Chaos Enjoying the Ride - washingtonpost.com[/URL]

Dirtbag59 05-26-2008 06:59 PM

I think any player that runs over people at the rate Chris does needs a drink to numb the pain. With that said he's looking more and more like John Riggins each and everyday. I mean I know I've said before but white guy with an afro, number in the 40's, smash mouth type of player, loves to drink, plays for the Redskins, the resemblence is uncanny. The only difference is Cooley seems to be a little more of a nice guy. Sometimes I think its interesting to wonder what Riggins would have been able to do if he played during the internet age.

However I don't know if he's writing these stories on his own, but wow. Artist, writer, receiver, blocker, is there anything this guy can't do?