Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP Dave Butz (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=65096)

calia 11-04-2022 12:29 PM

RIP Dave Butz

One of my favorites. Brought it every week and was dominant in the middle. 16 year career for a defensive lineman -- incredible.

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/gentle-giant-dave-butz-washington-legend-dead-at-72-nfl-tracker/ar-AA13Kadb[/url]

SunnySide 11-04-2022 12:39 PM

Re: RIP Dave Butz

[IMG]https://images.radio.com/aiu-media/Dave-Butz-b17580d4-2d4f-4a04-a1ad-05e75461d1f3.jpg[/IMG]

One of the great Redskins from my childhood.

RIP Mr. Butz

calia 11-04-2022 12:41 PM

And then t here's this -- total badass:

One of the most famous moments of Butz’s career came on a Sunday in 1987 when he was so sick that he had been hospitalized, but he checked himself out of the hospital to play in Washington’s game, sealed the win with a sack of Jets quarterback Ken O’Brien, and then went back to the hospital.

“When I think of Dave, I think of all the great plays he’s made for us over the years,” longtime Washington coach Joe Gibbs said upon Butz’s retirement. “I think of him coming out of the hospital two years ago to play against the New York Jets. He made one of the biggest plays in the game, and then he checked back into the hospital afterward.”

MTK 11-04-2022 12:50 PM

Epitome of tough guy, RIP

skinsfan69 11-04-2022 01:07 PM

I just saw this on Facebook. That is terrible news. A lot of these old Redskin greats are passing away. :-(

CrustyRedskin 11-04-2022 01:28 PM

This hurts. Rip. The perfect example of the 80's Skins. Damn.

htownskinfan 11-04-2022 01:54 PM

That sucks,I dont think he's in the HOF but he should be,one of my favorite skins.His beat up helmet Madden loved to talk about it

calia 11-04-2022 01:58 PM

[quote=htownskinfan;1327746]That sucks,I dont think he's in the HOF but he should be,one of my favorite skins.His beat up helmet Madden loved to talk about it[/quote]

He sure did. And Pat Summerall used to refer to him as "Big Dave Butz." Those teams were so great -- the golden age for this team for sure. As a kid, I didn't realize how spoiled we were to have those teams. But I sure do now.

Brummie Brave 11-04-2022 01:59 PM

Oh this is such sad news, one of the greats of the team I fell in love with in 1982.

RIP Dave Butz and thank you.

punch it in 11-04-2022 02:27 PM

RIP
Definitely a childhood idol.

skinsfan69 11-04-2022 03:38 PM

" Dave, my name is Joe Greene, my hat goes off to you, you and Daryl Grant have played the 4-3 better than anybody I've ever seen in my life" ..

Coming from Joe Greene that is some pretty good shit.

skinsfan69 11-04-2022 03:40 PM

[quote=calia;1327748]He sure did. And Pat Summerall used to refer to him as "Big Dave Butz." Those teams were so great -- the golden age for this team for sure. As a kid, I didn't realize how spoiled we were to have those teams. But I sure do now.[/quote]

Seriously that was when the NFL was at it's best. 80's and early 90's. Free agency has ruined the league but it is better for the players. You had guys like Butz and Grant who were just anchors for years and years.

I wish the league would have some kind of rule where you could go over the cap to re-sign your own guys.

AnonEmouse 11-04-2022 07:45 PM

This is sad news. Brings back memories of the 80s teams.😩

CrustyRedskin 11-05-2022 03:52 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1327755]" Dave, my name is Joe Greene, my hat goes off to you, you and Daryl Grant have played the 4-3 better than anybody I've ever seen in my life" ..

Coming from Joe Greene that is some pretty good shit.[/quote]

So true. They could eat up some oline, absolutely destroy a trap and let the LB's and De's have some fun. Kaufman, Milot, Butz have passed and maybe some others idk know about. I feel very honored to have been so devoted to the Skins when they were so good. Such a classy fun group.

Schneed10 11-09-2022 05:07 PM

Reading this thread makes me happy and sad. Sad to have lost Butz. But happy for the memories.

I appreciate all the fans we have here at the Warpath but there's just something about hearing the 40+ among us talking about how these guys played in the good old days.

The Joe Greene quote is awesome, sf69. It's shit like that that keeps the 80s and 90s teams from fading away from memory too much. Do we have a forum section just for reminiscing about those glory years? I could read some of this stuff for days.

RIP Dave Butz