Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lets Go Pistons (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1463)

cpayne5 06-17-2004 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]or to call defensive fouls of players grabbing and slapping...

can anyone without a doubt tell when someone is really knocked back by shaq or if their flopping since flopping has become so prevailent, including the master flopper divac?[/QUOTE]
If you're right there, like the refs are, yeah, you can tell when someone is 'knocked back by shaq'. You can tell when someone is faking and when someone is truly getting pushed around.

SmootSmack 06-17-2004 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]what is it about teams that win a lot that cause people to be drinking the hateraid? i used to really like the yankees when they had don mattingly, but once "the boss" pretty much out bid everyone else for the title both before and during the season, i just came to detest them. i've also hated the bulls since mj went to them. what is it about certain teams winning so often that rubs people the wrong way?[/QUOTE]

I think I'm in the minority because I don't have a problem with teams that win a lot. True, it's nice to see new teams but I can't fault franchises that try to win and succeed. I don't like the Yankees because I'm an Orioles fan, but the Yankees aren't breaking any rules here.

Kind of funny how you've hated the bulls since MJ went to them when you consider that you were only 3 years old (if that) when he joined the team. Were you a big fan of theirs as an infant?

cpayne5 06-17-2004 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Kind of funny how you've hated the bulls since MJ went to them when you consider that you were only 3 years old (if that) when he joined the team. Were you a big fan of theirs as an infant?[/QUOTE]

Maybe he means the [I]2nd [/I] time MJ joined the Bulls. :confused:

SmootSmack 06-17-2004 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]Maybe he means the [I]2nd [/I] time MJ joined the Bulls. :confused:[/QUOTE]

good point. hadn't thought of that. They don't call you Payne the Brain for nothing

cpayne5 06-17-2004 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]good point. hadn't thought of that. They don't call you Payne the Brain for nothing[/QUOTE]
Who told you that?!
You haven't been having secret communications with Daseal about me have you?

SmootSmack 06-17-2004 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]Who told you that?!
You haven't been having secret communications with Daseal about me have you?[/QUOTE]

LOL. No I haven't

skinsfanthru&thru 06-17-2004 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I think I'm in the minority because I don't have a problem with teams that win a lot. True, it's nice to see new teams but I can't fault franchises that try to win and succeed. I don't like the Yankees because I'm an Orioles fan, but the Yankees aren't breaking any rules here.

Kind of funny how you've hated the bulls since MJ went to them when you consider that you were only 3 years old (if that) when he joined the team. Were you a big fan of theirs as an infant?[/QUOTE]

i meant around the time they started winning with mj. i think it was around 87 or so. plus i've hated the cowboys and loved the skins since i was 2 or 3 so it can happen.

Daseal 06-18-2004 07:30 AM

C Payne the Nature Brain!

Our foiled Environmental Science scheme! I still don't see what the problem was!

I don't hate the Lakers and the Yankees because they win. I take multiple things into consideration.
1) For the most part, I've always hated those two teams. Just like I hate the Cowboys just as much if they win 1 game or 16.
2) I look at the players/coaches of each team. For example, the Lakers have Shaq (I hate ogre), Phil Jackson (easily the most over-rated coach ever. Let me go to the teams he coaches and I bet I could make the playoffs.)
3) The way the players act. I hate people that just shrug other teams off, I hate overly cocky guys. This is hard to explain, because I love very confident guys, but when it comes to being somewhat vicious towards the other team I start to wonder. I love how the Lakers start flipping out when they don't get calls. Hey fellas, THIS ISNT LA! In LA they get 2 team fouls a game.

I thought the officiating was fairly good in the series. You know what, if Kobe drives into 3 people and tosses up a shot, he's going to get some contact, but if that's a foul or not is very very hard to decide. Shaq charges. When you have 400lbs flying at you and hitting you while he dunks, that's a charge. That is very easy to call.

I agree he does get hit a lot on the defensive side, but call it. The offensive fouls are the hard ones, which also force him into actually learning to SHOOT!

SKINSnCANES 06-18-2004 01:38 PM

Most of us hate the Yankees because we are Orioles fans, atleast people in the DC metro area.

I dont hate the Lakers because they win, im pretty indifferent to them acutally. But i was rooting for the lakers to win becuase ive got stacks of Shaq rookie cards that I want to go up in value.

cpayne5 06-18-2004 01:50 PM

I hate the Lakers because of shaq. He's just an arrogant jerk. As much as he wants to be, he is no Superman.

RedskinRat 06-18-2004 05:28 PM

Living in LA and having to put up with the biggest band of fair weather fans gets on my last nerve. As soon as they go on a thre game slide all the banners and flags come off the cars.

I have my Redskins and Red Wings stuff on my car year round, rain/shine. OK, so everyone laughs at me, I've got used to it.

SmootSmack 06-18-2004 05:30 PM

Just curious Rat, how did you become a fan of the Red Wings and the Redskins?

MTK 06-19-2004 01:17 AM

Here's an arugment, 9 championships for Phil Jackson (pretty damn impressive any way you look at it).

Is he overrated and been lucky with talented teams, or is he a damn good coach that knows how to push the right buttons? I say a combo of both, what do you guys say?

SmootSmack 06-19-2004 01:58 AM

Well I guess there's something to be said for what Jackson has been able to do, not just join teams that are on the cusp and take them over the hump but also meshing all the great talent he's coached. However, I wonder would it be more impressive if he took a team like the Mavericks for example and got another ring with them or if he took a team like Golden State and got them just to win a round in the playoffs or even just get them to the playoffs? Or wouldn't it be something if he returned to the Bulls and resurrected them?

For my money the best coach I've ever seen in pro sports, and I think RedskinRat might back me up here, was Scotty Bowman. Joins the expansion St. Louis Blues and takes them to the Stanley Cup finals their first three years. Takes over the Canadiens, 5 Stanley Cup rings in 8 years, one Stanley Cup in 2 years, 4 Stanley cup appearances and 3 titles in 9 years with Detroit. Awesome!

That being said, I still bow to Joe Gibbs