Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   2012 NBA Playoffs (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47852)

NC_Skins 06-15-2012 10:56 AM

Re: 2012 NBA Playoffs

[quote=skinsfaninok;921473] guy avgs a double double almost [/quote]

Not even close.

The problem with Westbrook is he wants to be the "man." The guy who gets all the glory. To be honest, they would be better off finding a true PG who can distribute the ball and open the lane up, than go with a shoot first mentality at the PG. The last PG the NBA has that was a true facilitator and scorer was Isaiah Thomas and Magic Johnson(Nash to some extent). In some of their best years, they would average 21 points a game, while dishing out 10-13 assists per night. That's absolutely incredible.

A point guard needs to be able to get people involved into the game, and Westbrook simply isn't that guy. Chris Paul and Deron Williams 2007-2010 stats should exemplify what a incredible PGs should be. I think Chris Paul is about the closest we'll see to a Isaiah, Magic, or John Stockton, but he needs to get those assist numbers back up.

NC_Skins 06-15-2012 11:24 AM

[B]Tom Haberstroh @tomhaberstroh

Russell Westbrook: 26 shots, 27 points. James Harden 11 shots, 21 points.
[/B]

mredskins 06-15-2012 11:26 AM

[url=http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/330980-okcs-biggest-problem?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a4]OKC's biggest problem[/url]

NC_Skins 06-15-2012 11:31 AM

[quote=mlmpetert;921519]i thought this was a good read:

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19347749/kevin-durant-passive-aggressive-superstar-scoring-machine"]Kevin Durant: Passive aggressive superstar scoring machine - CBSSports.com[/URL][/quote]

This is a better read and more accurate to the true issue.

[url=http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/19356867/westbrooks-the-problem-for-thunder-he-just-doesnt-realize-it]Westbrook's the problem for Thunder ... he just doesn't realize it - NBA - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Fantasy Advice[/url]

He was a major problem last year as well in the playoffs.

Edit: Another article.

[url=http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7701]Column: Do Thunder and Russell Westbrook have a problem? :InsideHoops[/url]

Notice him talking about the flow of the offense, and how Westbrooks many shots interrupt that flow. THIS is what being a PG is all about, not about scoring points, but about making the offense flow.

skinsfaninok 06-15-2012 12:45 PM

I agree he takes way to many shots but he's not some scrub that's getting carried by any means here guys

Chico23231 06-15-2012 12:50 PM

Magic said at halftime that Westbrook's performance in the 1st half was one of the worst he had ever seen in the finals.

skinsfaninok 06-15-2012 05:18 PM

Russ for the reg season.

23 ppg. 5.5 asst 5 rebounds
46% shooting.

That's pretty damn good folks

skinsfaninok 06-15-2012 05:24 PM

Again I agree with most of u that kd should no doubt take the last shot and more shots but he's came out and said he wants russ to shoot more some games

itvnetop 06-15-2012 07:40 PM

Westbrook definitely needs to improve his shot selection a bit, but he's improved from last season. I think the last game was a relapse (although nothing as bad as last year's Memphis series).

In terms of point guards, I think the position is being redefined. While you've got traditional passers like Nash, Paul and Rondo, we're starting to see guys like Westbrook and Rose. While teams with less talent need pass first point guards, it's proven that one isn't necessarily needed to win on championship rosters. The Lakers started Derek Fisher for all those years they won rings.

If you've got an athletic 1 like Rose or Westbrook that can take it to the rack, as well as shoot, it will open up space for other shooters/slashers. Westbrook doesn't need to change his game in order for the Thunder to succeed... just shoot better shots (I read the Thunder have a better record when Westbrook shoots more than Durant, weirdly enough). OKC succeeds because everyone knows how to pass.

skinsfaninok 06-19-2012 11:14 PM

Russ has quieted the haters tonight! 37 points and shooting great

DynamiteRave 06-19-2012 11:19 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;922065]Russ has quieted the haters tonight! 37 points and shooting great[/quote]

I'm afraid that if OKC doesn't win tonight, this series may be over.

itvnetop 06-19-2012 11:49 PM

I really thought OKC would take this series... the real reason they're struggling? Harden has completely disappeared during the Finals.

Gotta give it up to Miami- Lebron is the MVP far and away. All of these games are close, though... I don't know if OKC can match tonight's effort. If they do, they have a chance to bring it back home. But the Heat are going to go all out to close at home.

itvnetop 06-20-2012 12:00 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;922065]Russ has quieted the haters tonight! 37 points and shooting great[/quote]

Shot selection was better. He took it to the rack and shot that elbow jumper that works for him.

And I'm never one to really say the refs have any sort of impact on the result... but Westbrook should have had way more free throws than three attempts. He was put on his butt no less than 5 times driving to the hole.

But again, Harden's been MIA for the last three games.

itvnetop 06-20-2012 03:25 AM

If the Heat win the rings, Lebron willed it. He's been unstoppable on the offensive end and he's guarding Durant most of the game. His stamina is incredible.

mlmpetert 06-20-2012 08:18 AM

[quote=NC_Skins;921533]This is a better read and more accurate to the true issue.

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/19356867/westbrooks-the-problem-for-thunder-he-just-doesnt-realize-it"]Westbrook's the problem for Thunder ... he just doesn't realize it - NBA - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Fantasy Advice[/URL]

He was a major problem last year as well in the playoffs.

Edit: Another article.

[URL="http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7701"]Column: Do Thunder and Russell Westbrook have a problem? :InsideHoops[/URL]

Notice him talking about the flow of the offense, and how Westbrooks many shots interrupt that flow. THIS is what being a PG is all about, not about scoring points, but about making the offense flow.[/quote]

I think i agree with you and everyone else hating on Westbrook now. Obvisouly he looked pretty good [I]at times[/I] last night, but the dude is just sloppy with the ball and he isnt very good at finding guys open. Never shuld have fouled Chalmers.

Agian i dont know anything about NBA, but besides Harden not showing up and looking sloppy when he did last night, i thought the refs should have called a lot more fouls on Miami. Hopefully the series isnt over.

mredskins 06-20-2012 08:53 AM

I hate to be a good have been..but if the C's had had Jeff Green and Avery Bradley in uniform for the Heat series man we could have easily been in the finals.

It is 3 games straight in MIA right? IF OKC can win the next one and the final two are in OK they have a puncher's chance.

mlmpetert 06-20-2012 08:59 AM

I really hope so. They said last night no one has ever came back from 3-1 to win in the finals. I guess its all about thursday right now.

mooby 06-20-2012 10:31 AM

[quote=mlmpetert;922099]I really hope so. They said last night no one has ever came back from 3-1 to win in the finals. I guess its all about thursday right now.[/quote]

I hope the Thunder are the first. Definitely won't be easy though.

mredskins 06-20-2012 10:51 AM

[quote=mooby;922110]I hope the Thunder are the first. Definitely won't be easy though.[/quote]

If they do it will be a crushing below to LBJ.

SmootSmack 06-20-2012 11:20 AM

LeBron James is an amazingly talented player. And repeatedly displays dominating performances. On top of that he really never gets into any trouble off the court. And Westbrook is one of the most explosive guards the game has seen in years who had a historic performance last night (unfortunately tainted with a poor decision at the end. A mistake...which apparently is a foreign concept to fans). It's really a shame their talents aren't appreciated more.

mredskins 06-20-2012 11:45 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;922141]LeBron James is an amazingly talented player. And repeatedly displays dominating performances. On top of that he really never gets into any trouble off the court. And Westbrook is one of the most explosive guards the game has seen in years who had a historic performance last night (unfortunately tainted with a poor decision at the end. A mistake...which apparently is a foreign concept to fans). It's really a shame their talents aren't appreciated more.[/quote]

Like the WWE all sports need faces and heels; it keeps the drama wagon rolling.

LBJ will always be a heel; people love to hate him.

mooby 06-20-2012 11:48 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;922141]LeBron James is an amazingly talented player. And repeatedly displays dominating performances. On top of that he really never gets into any trouble off the court. And Westbrook is one of the most explosive guards the game has seen in years who had a historic performance last night (unfortunately tainted with a poor decision at the end. A mistake...which apparently is a foreign concept to fans). It's really a shame their talents aren't appreciated more.[/quote]

I hate LBJ but you gotta respect his talent. The Heat are playing good at the right time, and now they're poised to win their second title in 6 years. I don't like the idea of LBJ having a ring but I will get used to it eventually.

skinsfaninok 06-20-2012 12:58 PM

James harden could have made himself a ton of $ but he's starting to look like an avg player at crucial times

NC_Skins 06-20-2012 01:38 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;922166]James harden could have made himself a ton of $ but he's starting to look like an avg player at crucial times[/quote]

Harden's had 2 bad games back to back (2-10 shooting), but the other games he was fine.

It still boils down to Westbrook not running the offense and getting people into the flow of it. He doesn't need to score that many points to be dangerous. Look at Steve Nash's 2 MVP seasons and look at the PPG. Not even at 20 per night. If it wasn't for Westbrook's anomaly of 11 assist in the earlier game of this series, his assist numbers would be horrible. He shot well last night, but still only dished out 5 assist with 3 turnovers.

Mark my words and I'll put money behind this. The Thunder will NEVER will a championship as long as Westbrook plays out of control and with a shoot first mentality. The smartest thing the Thunder could have done is trade Westbrook to the Celtics for Rondo.

MTK 06-20-2012 02:13 PM

So what are the LeBron haters gonna do once he gets a ring?

SmootSmack 06-20-2012 02:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk;922186]So what are the LeBron haters gonna do once he gets a ring?[/quote]

Keep hating, I'm sure

mlmpetert 06-20-2012 02:28 PM

[quote=Mattyk;922186]So what are the LeBron haters gonna do once he gets a ring?[/quote]

partial season, doesnt count.

mredskins 06-20-2012 02:48 PM

[quote=mlmpetert;922188]partial season, doesnt count.[/quote]

LOL! Perfect.

mredskins 06-20-2012 02:50 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;922187]Keep hating, I'm sure[/quote]

Do you not understand that is the appeal of him? People want a good vs. evil scenario. IF you loved everyone in any sport you would not care who won or lost.

SmootSmack 06-20-2012 03:02 PM

I get it. Still think it's stupid. Especially when he's hated for all the wrong/imagined reasons

mredskins 06-20-2012 03:07 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;922200]I get it. Still think it's stupid. Especially when he's hated for all the wrong/imagined reasons[/quote]

I honestly don't hate him. I much prefer him to win vs. Kobe.

I just think he should have stayed in Cleveland and try to make it happen there but that is the old school guy in me.

Monkeydad 06-20-2012 03:22 PM

Cleveland is a cursed sports town. He probably realized that.

mooby 06-20-2012 03:45 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;922208]Cleveland is a cursed sports town. He probably realized that.[/quote]

Which is why he should've stayed there. Imagine how more amazing it would've been had he stayed and won a championship there. People would single=handedly be praising his name up and down the streets of Cleveland. They haven't had a hero like that since Jim Brown probably.

Personally, most of my dislike for him comes from The Decision as well as his Cavaliars eliminating the Wiz from the playoffs for like 3 straight seasons.

itvnetop 06-20-2012 06:13 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;922178]

It still boils down to Westbrook not running the offense and getting people into the flow of it. He doesn't need to score that many points to be dangerous. Look at Steve Nash's 2 MVP seasons and look at the PPG. Not even at 20 per night. If it wasn't for Westbrook's anomaly of 11 assist in the earlier game of this series, his assist numbers would be horrible. He shot well last night, but still only dished out 5 assist with 3 turnovers.

[/quote]

The Thunder are not even in striking distance if Westbrook doesn't go off last night like he did. They need for him to play like that in order for this team (as it is currently constructed) to even hang with Miami at this point. I'm sorry, but Harden is the goat of this series... dude has played tentatively. LeBron's defense has been wearing down Durant. Who's the other option to score? Perkins? Ibaka? If Maynor wasn't injured, he'd definitely be able to spell him a bit. But as it stands, Westbrook and Durant have to be the offense.

You mentioned Steve Nash- guess what? He has no rings, either. If you tried to change Westbrook into a pass first point guard like Nash, you'd be under-utilizing his talents and making the team weaker overall.

Oh and Brooks' rotations were a bit boggling last night. Perkins is right.

itvnetop 06-20-2012 06:18 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;922200]I get it. Still think it's stupid. Especially when he's hated for all the wrong/imagined reasons[/quote]

This. I see it so much more in Los Angeles, which is weird. First, what does LeBron have to do with LA? His team(s) have never been rival(s) with the Lakers.

Secondly, I always hear LeBron haters say "Decision, Decision, Decision." OK, if you're going to hate on LeBron for a poorly executed exit strategy from Cleveland, how is that worse than a player who throws his teammates under the media bus consistently (Kobe), has been reportedly not well liked by teammates (Kobe) and snitched on one of his teammates to the cops for absolutely no reason (Kobe)?

And then, Kobe fans will say, "I don't care about his off the court issues... he's a great ball player!" Well, why the double standard for LeBron? It's either you respect his game or his off the court perception... and he's greater than the beloved Kobe in both, imo.

NC_Skins 06-21-2012 08:36 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;922187]Keep hating, I'm sure[/quote]

Pretty much.

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--fans--lebron-s-image-won-t-be-repaired-with-a-title.html]Fans: LeBron's image won't be repaired with a title - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

DynamiteRave 06-21-2012 11:08 PM

Not even the end of the 3rd quarter and this game is unbearable. Congrats to Miami.

skinsfaninok 06-21-2012 11:08 PM

Tough way to end the season but very proud of our squad! Look out 2013 is our year to bring the title home! thunder up!

Good for lebron he deserves his first championship, great player and a class act.

itvnetop 06-21-2012 11:38 PM

LeBron's got three assists less than OKC as a team, right now. MVP is the truth.

mooby 06-22-2012 06:23 AM

Gotta give Lebron his due. Congrats to him.