Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Salary Cap Status 2019 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64333)

Schneed10 02-27-2019 10:51 AM

Redskins Salary Cap Status 2019

In advance of free agency season here's the look at the Redskins salary cap. OverTheCap continues to have terrific salary cap data available and when you read through it, some fairly obvious moves present themselves. This thread is equal parts a summary of where the cap stands today, and a list of the moves the team is likely to make to manage their cap flexibility.

As the team makes moves I'll try to keep this updated to reflect the actual impact on the cap. Last updated April 1, 5:00 PM.

[B]Redskins Cap Space Entering 2019: $16.2M[/B]

[U]Moves Made[/U]
Signed Landon Collins ($4.0M)
Acquired Case Keenum ($3.5M)
Release Zach Brown $5.75M
Release Stacy McGee $2.3M
Signed Adrian Peterson ($2.5M)
Signed Ereck Flowers ($3.2M)
Signed Dominique Rodgers Cromartie ($0.6M)
Traded for and Extended Eli Manning ($24.0M)
Four Net Player Removed from 51 $2.4M

[B]Redskins Cap Space - Current ($11.9M)[/B]

[U]Moves Likely to be Made:[/U][INDENT]Sign Brandon Scherff to a contract extension $5.0M [I]estimated[/I]
Net Cap Impact of Signing Rookie Class ($4.0M) [I]estimated[/I][/INDENT]
[B]Available Remaining Cap Space for Free Agency - including Likely Moves: $1.1M[/B]

[U]Other Potential Moves[/U]
I'm not sure these are likely. But for your reference here's the potential impact.
[INDENT]Release Mason Foster $4.0M
Trade or Release Jordan Reed $6.07M
Release Vernon Davis $4.97M
Release Josh Norman $8.5M
[/INDENT]

skinsfan69 02-27-2019 11:07 AM

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status 2019

Norman has turned out to be just another bad signing by this organization. But if he's released then that leaves a huge hole. I'd try and get another year out of him.

Mason Foster at 4 million is gone. We could get a mid rounder that could play better and would obviously be cheaper.

I don't think we can get rid of both TE's. But one has to go and my guess is it's Davis at 5 million. We need to get a traditional rookie TE in the mix.

Schneed10 02-27-2019 12:22 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1219135]Norman has turned out to be just another bad signing by this organization. But if he's released then that leaves a huge hole. I'd try and get another year out of him.

Mason Foster at 4 million is gone. We could get a mid rounder that could play better and would obviously be cheaper.

I don't think we can get rid of both TE's. But one has to go and my guess is it's Davis at 5 million. We need to get a traditional rookie TE in the mix.[/quote]

With Mason it's a matter of do you want to turn over both middle LB spots at the same time? I look at Zach as a certain goner - they had Hamilton mixing in there for playing time at the end of the season. Then you have Reuben Foster as the seeming heir to the other spot but can you take Mason off the roster before you know that Reuben Foster won't be suspended by the NFL?

Big risk.

Can def see your point about the TE spot. I just think Gruden loves both Reed and Davis, so I don't see them doing that.

skinsfaninok 02-27-2019 12:36 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1219135]Norman has turned out to be just another bad signing by this organization. But if he's released then that leaves a huge hole. I'd try and get another year out of him.

I don't think we can get rid of both TE's. But one has to go and my guess is it's Davis at 5 million. We need to get a traditional rookie TE in the mix.[/quote]

I disagree on JNO, he has not been a bad signing. He's been a good player in DC, no he's not Champ Bailey but not many guys are. We have to let Reed walk, dude is made of glass and it would free up space. Draft a TE and go from there. It's a deep class.

skinsfaninok 02-27-2019 12:37 PM

Zach Brown , Jordan Reed , P Smith. Let all these guys walk.

skinsfan69 02-27-2019 12:41 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1219138]I disagree on JNO, he has not been a bad signing. He's been a good player in DC, no he's not Champ Bailey but not many guys are. We have to let Reed walk, dude is made of glass and it would free up space. Draft a TE and go from there. It's a deep class.[/quote]

For the amount he has been paid vs. the on field production, I'd say it wasn't a good one. Bad may be stretching it. He's just not a top corner yet he's paid like one. But like I said I think we need him cause the depth at corner is thin to say the least.

Ruhskins 02-27-2019 12:44 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1219138]I disagree on JNO, he has not been a bad signing. He's been a good player in DC, no he's not Champ Bailey but not many guys are. We have to let Reed walk, dude is made of glass and it would free up space. Draft a TE and go from there. It's a deep class.[/quote]

JNo has been a solid free agent signing. Had Dunbar stayed healthy last season, we would have had a very good secondary and things would have been different.

I think they are going to ask him to restructure his contract. It doesn't make sense to open yet another hole on the defense IMO.

Buffalo Bob 02-27-2019 12:51 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1219139]Zach Brown , Jordan Reed , P Smith. Let all these guys walk.[/quote]

I think you need to add Vernon "Hands of Stone" Davis to that list.

skinsfaninok 02-27-2019 12:54 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1219142]JNo has been a solid free agent signing. Had Dunbar stayed healthy last season, we would have had a very good secondary and things would have been different.

I think they are going to ask him to restructure his contract. It doesn't make sense to open yet another hole on the defense IMO.[/quote]

Exactly, if they let him walk you have to replace the guy.. He's still a top 20 CB. Not easy to replace

Chico23231 02-27-2019 02:27 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1219142]JNo has been a solid free agent signing. Had Dunbar stayed healthy last season, we would have had a very good secondary and things would have been different.

I think they are going to ask him to restructure his contract. It doesn't make sense to open yet another hole on the defense IMO.[/quote]

Agree with this. Norman has been solid but is he worth the cap number right now? Certainly not, but I’m thinking along with you that he should be asked to restructure.

Jordan Reed I’d like to move on from in a trade..but if not, I’d hope he would be another restructure candidate as well.

Vernon Davis, Stacy, Zach B all are most likely cut.

Redskins247 02-27-2019 03:33 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1219147]Agree with this. Norman has been solid but is he worth the cap number right now? Certainly not, but I’m thinking along with you that [B]he should be asked to restructure[/B].

Jordan Reed I’d like to move on from in a trade..but if not, I’d hope he would be another restructure candidate as well.

Vernon Davis, Stacy, Zach B all are most likely cut.[/quote]

This. Norman and his agent both know he's not making that kind of money anywhere else in the league next season, so I would hope he would restructure.

BigHairedAristocrat 02-27-2019 03:34 PM

Agree restructuring Norman would be ideal.

Cutting him certainly doesn't make any sense. He has a 14.5M salary but we'd only free up 8.5M by cutting him. Do we think we can sign a CB better than Norman for less than 8.5M? Good FA CBs want a lot of money. And, unless we want to waste our 1st round pick on a CB when we already have a half dozen other more pressing needs, that doesn't make much sense either.

He's still only 31 and likely has another 4 years or so left as an above-average starting CB. And for whatever reason, Norman really seems to like it here. Offering him an extension where we essentially guarantee the remaining money on his contract (he's due close to 30M of the next 2 years, but no one would pay him the 15M he's due next year on the open market) and extend him a couple years might make sense for both sides.

MTK 02-27-2019 03:48 PM

I think Mason is back, ZB definitely gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GridIron26 02-28-2019 09:04 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1219134]
[B]Redskins Cap Space Entering 2019: $17.7M[/B]

Moves Likely to be Made:[INDENT]Sign Brandon Scherff to a contract extension $5.0M [I]estimated[/I]
Release Zach Brown $5.75M
Release Stacy McGee $2.3M
Two Players Move into Top 51 ($1.2M)
Net Cap Impact of Signing Rookie Class ($4.0M) [I]estimated[/I][/INDENT]
[B]Available Cap Space for Free Agency - including Likely Moves: $25.6M[/B]

[U]Other Potential Moves[/U]
I'm not sure these are likely. But for your reference here's the potential impact.
[INDENT]Release Mason Foster $4.0M
Trade or Release Jordan Reed $6.07M
Release Vernon Davis $4.97M
Release Josh Norman $8.5M
Tender to Maurice Harris - RFA ($1.9M)
[/INDENT][/quote]

Brown and McGee will be gone. Brown - we already have a couple players who can take Brown's spot. McGee is a rotational player and we can easily replace him with a late round pick, largely thanks to Tomsula.

I don't see Redskins cutting Norman, Foster, and Reed. I agree with few, the Norman signing wasn't bad although, we definitely overpaid for him but then that was the market price for a good CB. Norman have had positive impact on our defense - remember what the defense was like when Norman had to miss few games due to rib injury? Redskins definitely should restructure his contract though. Foster - we do not have enough ILBs who can replace both Brown and Foster, so I don't see Redskins releasing Foster unless they draft a ILB who can start immediately. Reed - I have mixed feelings about Reed as I really love him and what he brings to the offense but like we all know, he is not a player who we can expect to play full season.. Gruden loves Reed and since this season is likely last chance for Gruden to prove his worth, I can see Gruden wanting to keep Reed to help his offense.

Davis - I have always loved him since he came out from U of MD. Davis had a bad year last year with several key drops. My best guess is Redskins plan to keep Davis for now and if they happen to draft a TE who can replace Davis then they will cut him. If not then we will keep him.

SFREDSKIN 02-28-2019 09:58 AM

He’s been average and getting paid for elite playing, bad signing.