Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64458)

Chico23231 09-27-2019 10:42 AM

Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

We are at another poignant moment in the Snyder owned Skins as we sink to 0-3 with more drama than most franchises with the only remaining holdout situation and a first round QB sitting on the bench while other rookie QB flourish on the field.

Typical Skins in a Snyder-Bruce Allen era.

Snyder isn’t going anywhere but could it be time for Allen to be fired? It’s the perfect time for Bruce to go as we are actually in a good position to reset the franchise.

1. The coaching staff is about to be turned over, A new GM will get to influence immediately the direction of field strategy and scheme. A young Offensive mind, a young Defensive mind, a college level coach, an experienced coordinator, a previous coach retread...this is the most important decision coming this offseason. Gruden was a Tampa-safe pick Bruce special which failed.

2. We have young talent at WR, QB, D-line, LB, and other pockets all over the field. Experienced kickers on special teams. The team’s talent isn’t bad and the depth is decent.

3. We are about to turnover aging vets and a swell of cap space is coming available next year. VD, CT, Colt, Case...contracts are up. Kerrigan has no guaranteed money after this year on his contract. Reed, AP, Norman, TW and Moses all contracts have limited guaranteed contracts and are all in play to cut and move on from. Even with Alex Smith cap hit, we could have some of the biggest cap space in the league if cuts happen....And they def should.

4. A new voice is needed for the fans. Goes without saying...ratings, attendance all time lows for the Org. We don’t want old Skins walking around, talking about the glory years...fuck that noise. We need a plan for the future and we need to move away from the past. A new GM could deliver a vision...or even develop a culture.

5. We need a GM who players can trust. If we don’t trade TW and he sits or reluctantly returns...We need a GM who can fix this issue fairly quick. I could see a situation where a new GM comes in, smooths over and extends the best Tackle in the game. It wouldn’t be the worst thing. Also, extending Scherff should be a top priority. But a new GM who can build stronger relationships with our players could change culture.

I think things could change quickly if a new GM comes in and Bruce is fired. It’s our most important decision Snyder makes this year and he needs to do it now.

mooby 09-27-2019 11:38 AM

Re: Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

What if firing Allen was the key to bringing Trent back? That would be amazing.

I agree, obviously we are getting ready to move on from Gruden. I will be livid if they fire Gruden but Dan keeps Allen around. At the minimum he should be completely removed from football ops. Literally unbelievable that Bruce's low .400 record over a 10 year span hasn't got him kicked out yet.

While we're on the subject I know this is a Chris Russell/Grant Paulsen report but with what we know about Dan it makes sense to me that he and Bruce would hate the success the Caps/Nats have had.

[url]https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-angry-about-capitals-success[/url]

Ruhskins 09-27-2019 11:50 AM

Re: Why moving on from Bruce Allen this year is pivotal to the future of the franchise.

I believe and I've heard that Kyle Smith is the Sean McVeigh of FO personnel. I wouldn't mind seeing him become the new GM.

SunnySide 09-27-2019 12:03 PM

Chico - all good points, I think you covered everything. I want Bruce and the coaching staff fired. But that creates its own problems:

1. Who then picks GM, Pres of Oper and HC?

2. Who does Snyder hire first? I imagine he will need to hire a GM or Pres first so they can lead the HC search.

But who for GM? How will Dan Snyder find his next GM if he is all by himself? I think Snyder likes staying in-house so would it be:

Pres - Eric Shaeffer

GM - Kyle Smith

Somehow promote Alex Santos so he stays happy about not being GM.

Doug Williams? I like Doug but I dont think he lives and breathes college players and scouting like Kyle Smith does. Kyle Smith will most likely be poached from us if he dont promote and protect him.

Does Smith and Scheaffer have the league petigree to go out and get a respected HC? or are they still to young and unknown outside of DC?

^^ I think Id actually be okay with this but do Schaeffer and Smith have the stones to not be a Snyder lackey? While giving Snyder the impression they are lackeys. Can Doug be Snyder's buddy to replace Bruce as Snyder's buddy bc Snyder needs a buddy.

3. How do we keep Cavanaugh and OConnell? Do we promote OConnell to HC and Cavanaugh to OC? But then the new HC gets no say on the offensive side of coaching.

Perhaps if we made a Todd Bowles type our HC, he wouldnt mind punting on the OC control as much?

-------------------------

Once we destroy everything .. what step 1 of the rebuild process?

Itd be great if we had a seasoned somewhat older guy to hold Snyder's hand through the process and use his connections but who? Doug Williams perhaps?

[url]https://www.redskins.com/team/coaches-roster/[/url]

[url]https://www.redskins.com/team/front-office-roster/[/url]

Chico23231 09-27-2019 12:19 PM

While Kyle Smith is in the discussion for sure...I wouldn’t limit the scope of an honest search for GM. GM picks the new coach.

skinsfaninok 09-27-2019 12:35 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1231846]While Kyle Smith is in the discussion for sure...I wouldn’t limit the scope of an honest search for GM. GM picks the new coach.[/quote]

Fuck Smith too, clean house. I mean from EVERYONE , including Doug

mooby 09-27-2019 12:41 PM

Kyle Smith man, I hear nothing but good things about him and it kinda worries me, like what if he's also being poisoned just by working in this environment?

You know how people running for Congress say they're going to change the game and do things different, then when they get in they realize you either play by Congress rules or you become an ineffective politician who can't get shit done and is a one-term politician? I fear that with Kyle Smith. I fear Kyle Smith is going to be poisoned by working under Bruce Allen. There is plenty of evidence going back years that people don't like working for or with Bruce Allen. Who was voted #1 least trustworthy FO exec to work with by agents? Bruce Allen. Mike Lombardi stamped his name on how bad it is working with Allen. Nobody has ever come to Bruce Allen's defense and said he is a smart football-minded guy who knows what he's doing and was scapegoated in Tampa Bay/Oakland.

With all that being said Kyle Smith could be the guy for all we know, but I'm torn between him and bringing in someone who hasn't been exposed to this shitty culture. A totally fresh start as they say. I'm also not sold Dan Snyder is willing to do such a thing. Bruce Allen's probably trying to sell him that we're a Gruden replacement and a couple players away from being contenders type thing.

SunnySide 09-27-2019 12:45 PM

If there are multiple GM openings at seasons end, I would be worried Kyle Smith might be poached.

edit - If we dont go in-house with Smith ... then who? From what Ive heard about Smith, I am comfortable with him being the GM making player/draft decisions but Im not sure he has enough NFL pedigree and connections to land a quality HC etc.

If we fire everybody .. there is literally no one to help Snyder pick the GM.

MTK 09-27-2019 01:44 PM

[quote=mooby;1231855]Kyle Smith man, I hear nothing but good things about him and it kinda worries me, like what if he's also being poisoned just by working in this environment?

You know how people running for Congress say they're going to change the game and do things different, then when they get in they realize you either play by Congress rules or you become an ineffective politician who can't get shit done and is a one-term politician? I fear that with Kyle Smith. I fear Kyle Smith is going to be poisoned by working under Bruce Allen. There is plenty of evidence going back years that people don't like working for or with Bruce Allen. Who was voted #1 least trustworthy FO exec to work with by agents? Bruce Allen. Mike Lombardi stamped his name on how bad it is working with Allen. Nobody has ever come to Bruce Allen's defense and said he is a smart football-minded guy who knows what he's doing and was scapegoated in Tampa Bay/Oakland.

With all that being said Kyle Smith could be the guy for all we know, but I'm torn between him and bringing in someone who hasn't been exposed to this shitty culture. A totally fresh start as they say. I'm also not sold Dan Snyder is willing to do such a thing. Bruce Allen's probably trying to sell him that we're a Gruden replacement and a couple players away from being contenders type thing.[/quote]

Before we get too carried away about the idea of the this org poisoning him, you do know who Kyle's Dad is right? AJ wasn't exactly known for his people skills. Hopefully Kyle isn't cut from that same mold.

skinsfaninok 09-27-2019 01:48 PM

Smith has been in scouting since 2011 right? So he's a talent evaluator, you can argue that he's been average at best from the draft pick standpoint since hes been in that role.

Let his ass go too

MTK 09-27-2019 01:56 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1231874]Smith has been in scouting since 2011 right? So he's a talent evaluator, you can argue that he's been average at best from the draft pick standpoint since hes been in that role.

Let his ass go too[/quote]

I'd chill on that, he's only in his 2nd year of being the director of college personnel. Prior to that he probably had little say in who was drafted.

skinsfaninok 09-27-2019 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=MTK;1231876]I'd chill on that, he's only in his 2nd year of being the director of college personnel. Prior to that he probably had little say in who was drafted.[/QUOTE]Still mad, fire his ass too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rocnrik 09-27-2019 02:02 PM

I like this thread... to bad the folks in charge don’t seem to get it..either they are stupid or they got some master plan..hmmmm .. I say burn it down get advice from a real football guy and start from scratch one hire at a time starting with whoever is going to run the football side of things.. you can’t hire coach first then bring in GM.. we have the players but that’s all we got ..there is enough talent that a bad year would be 8-8 our current system is costing us 4 wins a year minimum..

MTK 09-27-2019 02:05 PM

Kevin Sheehan brought up something interesting today, Peyton Manning is reportedly interested in getting into a ownership/GM role. Give him a minority ownership stake and the GM role. Fuck it, why the hell not??

EdmundDorf 09-27-2019 02:25 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1231857]

If we fire everybody .. there is literally no one to help Snyder pick the GM.[/quote]

There is of course his buddy who sits next to him on Sundays....... Joe Gibbs.

It seemed like Dan wanted to clean house last off season and I think we were all amazed that not a single person was fired. It must have been Bruce who persuaded him not to do it, so I don't think Dan will be very happy to be in this position again so early in the season and looking at a rebuild.

Sometimes clearing everybody out is a good thing, even the talented guys....... when the culture is so toxic sometimes it is the only way to reset things otherwise the players see the same coaches and the same FO people and assume that nothing is changing.

Do you all remember how happy we all were when Vinny was fired and every one thought it would be great to have a football guy in charge at last......

Dan isn't going to get a respected football guy to come within a million miles of Fedex, maybe Joe can. We are more than likely just going to have to cross our fingers that Kyle Smith hasn't been fatally poisoned by Bruce. I understand that Schaeffer (sp?) has a very good reputation though, correct me if I am wrong.

It does amaze me that despite the dysfunction that so many good young coaches and FO people seem to come out of Washington