Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Grand Jury Indicts Vick (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18906)

SmootSmack 07-17-2007 05:27 PM

Grand Jury Indicts Vick

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940065]ESPN - Falcons QB Vick indicted in dogfighting probe - NFL[/url]

Dlyne8r 07-17-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Grand Jury Indicts Vick

Way to go Falcons. Brilliant move to jettison Matt Schaub (sp?)

Warpath 07-17-2007 05:49 PM

This article has some horrible stuff in it...
...Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, [B]along with a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating[/B]; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.
...Fights would end when one dog died or with the surrender of the losing dog, which was sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gun shot, electrocution or some other method, according to the documents. The property has an above-ground swimming pool, and investigators were seen looking into the pool Friday.
...investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed...

Im not sure what actually happens when a person gets indicted. Does that mean there will be a trial? As a dog owner I can't see how people can do this and think its horrific. I hope Vick goes down, not because I don't like him but because hes famous and maybe they can make a big deal of out this so that people will know its not tolerated in the future.

RobH4413 07-17-2007 06:04 PM

I don't think the "I don't live here, and I don't know what's going on" is going to fly anymore. He's fuct.

GusFrerotte 07-17-2007 06:08 PM

Didn't think it would get this far, but it has and now Vick is screwed, Indicted in a federal probe is big trouble. It will be bye bye Vick. His fantasy value just tanked!!!!!! Thank God I never like him as a fantasy player!!!

#56fanatic 07-17-2007 06:17 PM

I hope this fool is found guilty and sent to jail - For someone to have signed over a $100million dollar contract and still have to be involved in something so horrible is just down right pathetic. For god sake, can someone tell me why these idiot athletes have to be involved in stupid stuff like this. I mean even getting caught drinking and driving blows my mind! Even us regular peeps know to take a freaking cab - these idiots can have limos w/ drivers to take them anywhere they want to go. I hope he is put away if found guilty - make him an example for all these morons who think they are above the law. I pray to god its not just a fine, that means absolutely nothing to these fools.

skinsfan69 07-17-2007 06:20 PM

Plain and simple, dogfighting is disgusting. But why are the feds invloved in this? It's not a murder case, or drugs or terrorism. This is what the feds should be worried about. Not dogfighting. I think it's because Vick's name is on the property and someone is trying to make a name for themselves.

EARTHQUAKE2689 07-17-2007 06:26 PM

[quote=Warpath;330090]This article has some horrible stuff in it...
...Fifty-four pit bulls were recovered from the property during searches in April, [B]along with a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating[/B]; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.
...Fights would end when one dog died or with the surrender of the losing dog, which was sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gun shot, electrocution or some other method, according to the documents. The property has an above-ground swimming pool, and investigators were seen looking into the pool Friday.
...investigators uncovered the graves of seven pit bulls that were killed...

Im not sure what actually happens when a person gets indicted. Does that mean there will be a trial? As a dog owner I can't see how people can do this and think its horrific. I hope Vick goes down, not because I don't like him but because hes famous and maybe they can make a big deal of out this so that people will know its not tolerated in the future.[/quote]

That is crazy, wow. I am speechless.

#56fanatic 07-17-2007 06:29 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;330103]Plain and simple, dogfighting is disgusting. But why are the feds invloved in this? It's not a murder case, or drugs or terrorism. This is what the feds should be worried about. Not dogfighting. I think it's because Vick's name is on the property and someone is trying to make a name for themselves.[/quote]

Dog fighting is a federal offense. Plus the district attorney for Surry county was doing absolutely nothing. He had a search warrant, and backed off it saying "he didn't like the way it was worded" if Pointexter was doing his job, the feds would not have gotten involved. I am sure it being Vick had something to do about it, because all the national attention it was getting. Had it been me or you, I doubt they would have gotten involved. But that shouldn't matter - fact is - idiot was involved in dog fighting - disgracefull!! if I was a season ticket holder for the Falcons, those babies would be going back asking for a refund. You better believe that Mr Blank will have a ton of companies and sponsors asking for Vicks release.

Everybody is trying to make Vick out to be the victim here - saying the feds are involved because it's Mike Vick. how ridiculous is that! HE SPONSORED DOG FIGHTING! that is outlawed in every state in the us (except maybe one or two) like i said, had Poindexter been doing his job the feds would have done nothing. The feds were asked to get involved because that jackass was not doing anything.

BrudLee 07-17-2007 06:31 PM

[IMG]http://img187.imagevenue.com/loc51/th_11426_prod_122_51lo.jpg[/IMG]

skinsfan69 07-17-2007 06:35 PM

[quote=#56fanatic;330110]Dog fighting is a federal offense. Plus the district attorney for Surry county was doing absolutely nothing. He had a search warrant, and backed off it saying "he didn't like the way it was worded" if Pointexter was doing his job, the feds would not have gotten involved. I am sure it being Vick had something to do about it, because all the national attention it was getting. Had it been me or you, I doubt they would have gotten involved. But that shouldn't matter - fact is - idiot was involved in dog fighting - disgracefull!! if I was a season ticket holder for the Falcons, those babies would be going back asking for a refund. You better believe that Mr Blank will have a ton of companies and sponsors asking for Vicks release.

Everybody is trying to make Vick out to be the victim here - saying the feds are involved because it's Mike Vick. how ridiculous is that! HE SPONSORED DOG FIGHTING! that is outlawed in every state in the us (except maybe one or two) like i said, had Poindexter been doing his job the feds would have done nothing. The feds were asked to get involved because that jackass was not doing anything.[/quote]

Do u think he is guilty? Personally, I think he was funding the operation. Someone had to have the $ to fund the operation. Taking care of some 60 dogs is a lot of $.

BleedBurgundy 07-17-2007 07:13 PM

I'd like to see them take all of the clowns involved in this bullshit and put them in a pit with a few of those dogs. Let them see first hand how "entertaining" this stuff is.

Personally, even with the indictment, I don't see how Vick gets convicted. He's got too much money and can afford the attornies he needs to get off. Short of a video, photo, signed document or other "concrete evidence" there's no way they'll get him for this. There's just too much money that he can throw at this, whether it's paying off witnesses or whatever.

#56fanatic 07-17-2007 07:13 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;330114]Do u think he is guilty? Personally, I think he was funding the operation. Someone had to have the $ to fund the operation. Taking care of some 60 dogs is a lot of $.[/quote]

absolutely i think he is guilty - according to the actual court papers there are several witnesses putting Vick at the fights, also agreeing with other kennell owners on fights, dates, and $$ figures. No doubt in my mind he was funding this - I think cnn has the actual court docs. take a look at those and make your own opinion. but, from reading them, he sent his boys out to search for property, which they found, and he bought it. The papers make it sound like they have proof it was bought for the breeding, training, and staging dog fights. there are i believe 4 witnesses from other kennels that put vick in or directly related to these fights.

tatrave 07-17-2007 07:39 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;330103]Plain and simple, dogfighting is disgusting. But why are the feds invloved in this? It's not a murder case, or drugs or terrorism. This is what the feds should be worried about. Not dogfighting. I think it's because Vick's name is on the property and someone is trying to make a name for themselves.[/quote]

Last year all dogfighting cases are federal...that's what they said on SportsCenter

BrudLee 07-17-2007 07:40 PM

The indictment is available on [url=http://ajc.com]ajc.com | Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/url] (or click [URL="http://alt.cimedia.com/ajc/pdf/vick0717.pdf?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab"]here[/URL]).

Vick will likely not get convicted, though it won't have to do with money or celebrity. Mike Vick is going to sing. Every athlete, businessman, and raconteur who has ever been near a pit with Vick should seek legal counsel.

wilsowilso 07-17-2007 07:54 PM

[quote=BrudLee;330136]The indictment is available on [URL="http://ajc.com"]ajc.com | Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/URL] (or click [URL="http://alt.cimedia.com/ajc/pdf/vick0717.pdf?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab"]here[/URL]).

Vick will likely not get convicted, though it won't have to do with money or celebrity. Mike Vick is going to sing. Every athlete, businessman, and raconteur who has ever been near a pit with Vick should seek legal counsel.[/quote]

I figured they would want to land the big fish. Days like today make me think the whole Karma thing is alive and well.

Mizzin44 07-17-2007 08:00 PM

The real question is what will the NFL do?

just remember, "Huntin' is legal"

djnemo65 07-17-2007 08:57 PM

I hope they lock him up and throw away the key. I defended this guy as a player past the point that his performance on the field was defensible. But this is something that I have no sympathy for.

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 07-17-2007 09:02 PM

vick is a loser

jgalecpa 07-17-2007 10:14 PM

[quote=RobH4413;330093]I don't think the "I don't live here, and I don't know what's going on" is going to fly anymore. He's fuct.[/quote]

This is from the NY Times:
[INDENT]The men indicted with Vick were Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor. The 18-page indictment alleged that in March 2003, Peace consulted with Vick about a dog that had lost a fight. After Peace and Vick spoke, Peace killed the losing dog by wetting down the animal with water and electrocuting it. In April of this year, the indictment alleged that Peace, Phillips and Vick killed about eight dogs who did not perform well in testing sessions.

[/INDENT]This puts Vick right in the heart of it.

I hope PETA has protests at every game/practice/autograph signing/etc he goes too.

Remember, he was charged with 'creating mayhem' at a bowling alley before he was even in college.

Quality guy.

tatrave 07-17-2007 10:21 PM

What about the water bottle with the secret compartment in the airport...

Can we use some of his brother's crimes and forget the no suspension b/c repeat offender?

70Chip 07-17-2007 10:22 PM

[quote=BrudLee;330136]The indictment is available on [URL="http://ajc.com"]ajc.com | Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/URL] (or click [URL="http://alt.cimedia.com/ajc/pdf/vick0717.pdf?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab"]here[/URL]).

Vick will likely not get convicted, though it won't have to do with money or celebrity. Mike Vick is going to sing. Every athlete, businessman, and raconteur who has ever been near a pit with Vick should seek legal counsel.[/quote]

Wouldn't the raconteurs already be talking to the feds?

SmootSmack 07-17-2007 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=jgalecpa;330199]This is from the NY Times:
[INDENT]The men indicted with Vick were Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor. The 18-page indictment alleged that in March 2003, Peace consulted with Vick about a dog that had lost a fight. After Peace and Vick spoke, Peace killed the losing dog by wetting down the animal with water and electrocuting it. In April of this year, the indictment alleged that Peace, Phillips and Vick killed about eight dogs who did not perform well in testing sessions.

[/INDENT]This puts Vick right in the heart of it.

I hope PETA has protests at every game/practice/autograph signing/etc he goes too.

Remember, he was charged with 'creating mayhem' at a bowling alley before he was even in college.

Quality guy.[/QUOTE]

That's horrible, electrocuting the dog because he/she lost a fight? Did Mora zap Vick with a cattle prod after every loss?

70Chip 07-17-2007 10:27 PM

Does anyon know where the trial will be? I thought I heard that the indictment came down in New York? That couldn't be possible could it?

Nevermind. Eastern District of Virginia. He may walk if he doesn't decide to talk.

Pocket$ $traight 07-17-2007 10:37 PM

Anyone who thinks that Vick will do time over this, don't hold your breath or you will end up in the dirt like those stinkin' dogs.

I am sure that their star witnesses are upstanding citizens. Probably guys who have been busted for drugs or lost their family members money betting on the wrong dog.

Now, he may get suspended, but he will do 0 that is z e r o time.

Now the fact that Goodell would be out of line for him suspending a first time offender over this is a completely different argument.

Daseal 07-17-2007 10:46 PM

[quote]That's horrible, electrocuting the dog because he/she lost a fight? Did Mora zap Vick with a cattle prod after every loss?[/quote]
There are rumors of him picking up a wounded dog who lost a fight (which he bet 40K on) and dropping the dog over his knee after he lost snapping his back. He didn't actually kill it till several hours later. I hope this sick fuck goes to jail forever.

The NFL is looking pretty bad here releasing a statement saying "... let the legal process run it's course." I know one player who wont be playing this year who also hasn't been convicted of a damn thing. Roger Goodell said something about giving the NFL a black eye will get you suspended. This definitely gives them a black eye.

Pocket$ $traight 07-17-2007 10:53 PM

[quote=Daseal;330217]There are rumors of him picking up a wounded dog who lost a fight (which he bet 40K on) and dropping the dog over his knee after he lost snapping his back. He didn't actually kill it till several hours later. I hope this sick fuck goes to jail forever.

The NFL is looking pretty bad here releasing a statement saying "... let the legal process run it's course." I know one player who wont be playing this year who also hasn't been convicted of a damn thing. Roger Goodell said something about giving the NFL a black eye will get you suspended. This definitely gives them a black eye.[/quote]

I also heard about someone who woke up in a tub of ice with their kidneys removed.

Ever heard of an urban legend?

The way people run with this is sickening.

What is the NFL supposed to do? By the way, we live in the United States, not Nazi Germany.

Due process anyone?

Redskins8588 07-17-2007 11:20 PM

[QUOTE=BrudLee;330136]
Vick will likely not get convicted, though it won't have to do with money or celebrity. Mike Vick is going to sing. Every athlete, businessman, and raconteur who has ever been near a pit with Vick should seek legal counsel.[/QUOTE]

You are probably right that Vick will sing like a little "choir" girl. But who is to say that someone else that is involved to a point isn't doing a little "song and dance" of their own against Vick???

jgalecpa 07-17-2007 11:22 PM

[quote=Grim21Reaper;330219]

[/quote]

Last I heard, Grand Jury indictments go a little beyond 'urban legend'.

Due process?

We are not talking about someone who has had zero problems with the law.

WE are not the US governement.

The court of public opinion has given him all the process he is due.

Pocket$ $traight 07-17-2007 11:36 PM

[quote=jgalecpa;330227]Last I heard, Grand Jury indictments go a little beyond 'urban legend'.

Due process?

We are not talking about someone who has had zero problems with the law.

WE are not the US governement.

The court of public opinion has given him all the process he is due.[/quote]

I was talking about the stupid story about him breaking a dog's back. Your mind is already made up (based on zero factual knowledge by the way) so it isn't even worth discussing with you.

The Duke lacrosse players were indicted too. How did that work out?

Like I said before. Is anyone considering the source? I am sure the people who are going to testify are upstanding members of society who just felt like doing a good deed by giving up information on him.

What problems with the law. Oh yeah, the water bottle incident where he wasn't charged with a single thing. Another public opinion case that he lost.

"Government of the people for the people by the people" We aren't the government? Sit on granddad's knee so I can help you find a clue.

djnemo65 07-17-2007 11:39 PM

[QUOTE=Grim21Reaper;330219]I also heard about someone who woke up in a tub of ice with their kidneys removed.

The way people run with this is sickening.

What is the NFL supposed to do? By the way, we live in the United States, not Nazi Germany.

Due process anyone?[/QUOTE]

I have to side with Grim on this one, he deserves to have a fair trial before any punitive action is taken by the league.

That being said, it's not looking good for him at this point. If he is found guilty of what is alleged I hope he never plays another down again.

djnemo65 07-18-2007 01:22 AM

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940312]ESPN - Federal indictment intensifies Vick's legal issues - NFL[/url]

Excellent article detailing the depth of the challenge Vick faces

hooskins 07-18-2007 01:54 AM

[quote=BrudLee;330112][IMG]http://img187.imagevenue.com/loc51/th_11426_prod_122_51lo.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Seriously, Ookie? What the fuck, atleast pick a better name. I really hate Vick and this whole situation doesn't really help. I am pretty much shocked about this, and since this a federal inditment it is very serious. It is about 96 percent of federal indictees that get convicted.

hooskins 07-18-2007 02:01 AM

[quote=djnemo65;330229]I have to side with Grim on this one, he deserves to have a fair trial before any punitive action is taken by the league.

That being said, it's not looking good for him at this point. If he is found guilty of what is alleged I hope he never plays another down again.[/quote]

I agree he deserves a fair trial but the federal government usually doesn't fuck around for the fun of it. The feds have been doing this for 2 years along with the grand jury. There has been some seriously stuff going on that we didn't know.

This is not like the Duke lacrosse charges that were brought up by some local DA. Of course he might not face jail time or whatever, but the way this is going Vick is gonna have to plea to some lesser charge. I highly doubt he will actually fight this unless he truely is innocent. I mean the feds cited 84 instances of cruelty from drowning dogs to dog rape stands. Why would the government go out of their way to charge a high profile athlete? Due to limited funds and other priorities I doubt the government would base this all on circumstantual evidence. They got a solid 2 year case going on here.

I think everyone has the right to say what they feel about Vick. Give the man his trial but Grim and others need to realize this is the Feds, it is a whole different ballgame. The chances of this being just some big misunderstanding at one of his properties seems to be decreasing.

jsarno 07-18-2007 02:27 AM

This is retarded:
[i][b]on charges of sponsoring a dogfighting operation so grisly the losers either died in the pit or sometimes were electrocuted, drowned, hanged or shot.[/i][/b]
And the MAX he would get is 6 years????? That's wrong...he should get a lot more than just 6 years for brutally killing animals. That's plain wrong, and upsetting.

Daseal 07-18-2007 07:32 AM

Grim Reaper and Nemo: When Goodell released his player conduct policy one of the things in it that I didn't like was that someone could be suspended before any sort of conviction from due process came around. Simply putting yourself in the position to get in trouble was enough. However, I don't feel you can suspend pac-man and chris henry (not sure if he's gone to trial yet) if they haven't been convicted, then let Vick slide. Sounds a bit unfair to suspend one person for all of the alleged things they've done yet let the league poster-boy go.

Personally, I wish that everyone had to be convicted before the league could take any action. Hell, ST probably would have been out for 4 games when he had all of his legal troubles. The NFL needs to stay consistent with their rulings. While I think Vick is guilty, that story about him breaking the dogs back is nothing but rumor until proven otherwise. However, I have heard stories about Vick dog fighting when he was at tech, I marked it down to rumor but things are really starting to point against Vick. If he did it, I hope he goes down and hard. If he didn't I hope he comes out innocent when everything is all said and done, but I doubt he will.

BrudLee 07-18-2007 08:04 AM

Noted bastion of good journalism ProFootballTalk.com has correctly noted that Vick could face a lifetime ban for being involved in gambling activities that bring disrepute to the league. He sponsored an interstate dogfighting ring, placed bets on dogs, and killed dogs whose performance did not meet his standards. That's almost textbook "disrepute".

By the way, we malign ProFootballTalk for reporting conjecture frequently, but they have been [U]way[/U] out in front on this story. I urge those who haven't to read their coverage.

djnemo65 07-18-2007 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal;330387]Grim Reaper and Nemo: When Goodell released his player conduct policy one of the things in it that I didn't like was that someone could be suspended before any sort of conviction from due process came around. Simply putting yourself in the position to get in trouble was enough. However, I don't feel you can suspend pac-man and chris henry (not sure if he's gone to trial yet) if they haven't been convicted, then let Vick slide. Sounds a bit unfair to suspend one person for all of the alleged things they've done yet let the league poster-boy go.

Personally, I wish that everyone had to be convicted before the league could take any action. Hell, ST probably would have been out for 4 games when he had all of his legal troubles. The NFL needs to stay consistent with their rulings. While I think Vick is guilty, that story about him breaking the dogs back is nothing but rumor until proven otherwise. However, I have heard stories about Vick dog fighting when he was at tech, I marked it down to rumor but things are really starting to point against Vick. If he did it, I hope he goes down and hard. If he didn't I hope he comes out innocent when everything is all said and done, but I doubt he will.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in this sense: Vick doesn't have to be convicted, it only has to be proven that he had knowledge of or was in attendance at said events. If that can be proven, and it seems like that won't be a stretch at this point, that he is at least guilty of lying to the commissioner.

It is important to note that a critical standard in the NFL's conduct policy is repeat offenses, so ST would have been safe pending his trial. Vick is technically a first time offender as well, although this is an extraordinary crime.

Anyway, all this aside, I think a suspension should be the least of the man's worries right now.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-18-2007 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=BrudLee;330389]Noted bastion of good journalism ProFootballTalk.com has correctly noted that Vick could face a lifetime ban for being involved in gambling activities that bring disrepute to the league. He sponsored an interstate dogfighting ring, placed bets on dogs, and killed dogs whose performance did not meet his standards. That's almost textbook "disrepute".

By the way, we malign ProFootballTalk for reporting conjecture frequently, but they have been [U]way[/U] out in front on this story. I urge those who haven't to read their coverage.[/QUOTE]
I'm listening to Boomer Esiason on the radio right now and he said that although he normally hates PFT he feels like they have been top notch covering this case. Apparently the guy who runs the site is or was a lawyer and he seems to really know the ins and outs of this sort of thing.

gibbsisgod 07-18-2007 08:48 AM

Didn't Nike say they were not going to terminate his endorsement deals? Bet they are regretting that now.

I got about half way through the story and stopped reading. I can't imagine anyone being that cruel. MV, [B]if this is true,[/B] I hope you get the max. You are an underachieving, overpaid, sub-par qb and I hope you burn in hell you Fucking Fuck!