Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does prayer work? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19685)

saden1 09-09-2007 09:30 PM

Re: Does prayer work?

A few years ago I was at a gas station filling up my tank when a woman on the next pump came to me and asked me if I could give her 3 dollars so she could put some gas in her car because she didn't have any money and her tank was on empty. She had a kid with her so instead of giving her a few bucks I filled up her tank.

I guess if you are a person of faith you would think this woman's prayers were answered, me, not so much. When you are struggling people tend to help. That is human nature. It's not god, it's not prayers being answered, it is just people being generous or random events.

jsarno 09-09-2007 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=saden1;349632]A few years ago I was at a gas station filling up my tank when a woman on the next pump came to me and asked me if I could give her 3 dollars so she could put some gas in her car because she didn't have any money and her tank was on empty. She had a kid with her so instead of giving her a few bucks I filled up her tank.

I guess if you are a person of faith you would think this woman's prayers were answered, me, not so much. When you are struggling people tend to help. That is human nature. It's not god, it's not prayers being answered, it is just people being generous or random events.[/QUOTE]

At this point, I am tending to agree with you.

So what prayers does everyone have that they know for certain were answered by God? (sorry LB, your mother didn't read it right, that's just a mistake IMO.)

Schneed10 09-09-2007 09:38 PM

No, prayer does not "work."

It does nothing to change the world around you. It only alters your perception of it. If it can bring you peace, or fool you into finding comfort where there normally be none, then knock yourself out.

But no. It doesn't work.

saden1 09-09-2007 09:40 PM

The real question is why do people attribute good things that happen to them to prayers being answered and bad things that happen to them to misfortune. You always hear people say god works in mysterious ways but when I think about it I am really disturbed at the way he works. Makes me wonder if god is toying with us for his own amusement.

Schneed10 09-09-2007 09:41 PM

[quote=jsarno;349639]So what prayers does everyone have that they know for certain were answered by God?[/quote]

There are none. People BELIEVE they were answered by God. And THAT is the power of prayer.

If there is someone on here who says they have scientific proof that God answered a prayer, then they're literally crazy. They can have faith, they can believe, they can "know" it in the heart, but they cannot prove it.

After all, that's the very definition of faith.

SmootSmack 09-09-2007 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;349639]At this point, I am tending to agree with you.

So what prayers does everyone have that they know for certain were answered by God? (sorry LB, your mother didn't read it right, that's just a mistake IMO.)[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any way to know for certain.

Lady Brave 09-09-2007 09:45 PM

[quote=jsarno;349639]At this point, I am tending to agree with you.

So what prayers does everyone have that they know for certain were answered by God? (sorry LB, your mother didn't read it right, that's just a mistake IMO.)[/quote]
My mother did read it right. I was there. You've all but called me a liar. So thanks for that. Funny thing is there is a story in the bible about God providing oil for a widow and her son when there was none left. If He did it for her, there's no reason why He wouldn't do it for us.

Redskin Rich 09-09-2007 09:52 PM

[quote=jsarno;349597]Or the comment could be welcomed. Why not give everyone the chance to be civil and enjoy a conversation different from the "norm"?[/quote]
Let's just say life experience

saden1 09-09-2007 09:52 PM

[quote=Lady Brave;349653]My mother did read it right. I was there. You've all but called me a liar. So thanks for that. Funny thing is there is a story in the bible about God providing oil for a widow and her son when there was none left. If He did it for her, there's no reason why He wouldn't do it for us.[/quote]

I don't think anyone is calling you a liar per say, just that people are skeptical. Also you're assuming that the story in the bible is true and if you do assume it is true then you have to assume every story in the bible is true (a very frighting proposition).

hooskins 09-09-2007 09:56 PM

[quote=Lady Brave;349653]My mother did read it right. I was there. You've all but called me a liar. So thanks for that. Funny thing is there is a story in the bible about God providing oil for a widow and her son when there was none left. If He did it for her, there's no reason why He wouldn't do it for us.[/quote]

I guess people have a right to skeptical, and he did say IMO. But still I believe your story, and I have had many things like that happen for me. The skeptic can say its a random event, and a believer will feel it is an act of God. Either view is ok, and they cannot be proven wrong.

Schneed10 09-09-2007 09:57 PM

Well here's the thing, you don't know how the oil got there. You didn't put it there, you didn't call a company before your mom did, your mom didn't put it there. You just know that the oil was there when the oil guy came to fill it up. You're filling in the rest with your beliefs.

Which is fine, it was probably a real tough time for you and faith got you guys through it.

That said, with the absence of proof that it was God, all you have is a POSSIBILITY. There's no proof. There are far more likely possibilities that could explain it.

But if God is the explanation you settled on, and it gave you comfort in a tough time, then your faith served you well.

Lady Brave 09-09-2007 10:10 PM

[quote=saden1;349658]I don't think anyone is calling you a liar per say, just that people are skeptical. Also you're assuming that the story in the bible is true and if you do assume it is true then you have to assume every story in the bible is true (a very frighting proposition).[/quote]
It's not a frightening proposition at all. I've seen God work in people's lives more times than I can count. I believe in God's word and I believe He's in control of my life. I've been healed of a disease myself. Be skeptical if you like. It won't change my opinion, because I've lived it.

I had hoped this thread would be one of encouragement, but I don't think that's possible. Ultimately, it has to turn into the typical "does God exist debate."

saden1 09-09-2007 10:18 PM

[quote=Lady Brave;349679]It's not a frightening proposition at all. I've seen God work in people's lives more times than I can count. I believe in God's word and I believe He's in control of my life. I've been healed of a disease myself. Be skeptical if you like. It won't change my opinion, because I've lived it.

I had hoped this thread would be one of encouragement, but I don't think that's possible. Ultimately, it has to turn into the typical "does God exist debate."[/quote]

Clearly when you're talking about prayer you're talking about god. You make it clear where you stand and I made it clear where I stand. Don't get mad at me for my beliefs.

kingerock 09-09-2007 10:22 PM

Let me take a stab at this...

First I will qualify/disqualify myself. I work for a ministry at a pretty large church in Texas. We are non-denominational, meaning our focus has nothing to do with any groups' leanings. Our goal as a ministry is for each person to experience God and that relationship in a personal way, and to be able to fully enjoy that relationship.

If we take the definition of prayer as communication with a deity, then the answer depends on the deity. Communication is 2 way, so prayer isn't reciting memorized scripture or speaking shakespearean english into your hands, it's talking to that deity and that deity responding. If the deity you are communicating with exists, and chooses to have communication with you and relationship with you, then yes, prayer works.

Prayer isn't, however, begging said diety to do what you ask. That's not communication, that's manipulation. For instance, everytime my kids ask for candy or money, I don't give it to them. I am looking out for their best interest, and candy for dinner and money for things they don't need isn't always in their best interest. Does that mean that parenting doesn't work because I didn't answer their 'prayers' to me? I did answer, but like stated in previous posts, my answer was no.

I think that we've developed a culture that thinks that prayer is just asking God for stuff. I will admit here, that as a Christian of over 25 years, I rarely at this point in my life ask God for 'things' in my prayers. I usually pray for the safety and protection of others, and I ask for wisdom and grace in my day to day endevours.

So if I am communicating back and forth with a deity that exists and wants a relationship with us, then yes, prayer works wheather we are getting the answers we want or not.

kingerock 09-09-2007 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;348726]Does prayer work?[/QUOTE]

I guess the question to ask you is, 'what are you praying for?'