Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FedEx to Install Party Decks; Remove Seats (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42553)

Monkeydad 06-10-2011 03:34 PM

Re: FedEx to Install Party Decks; Remove Seats

"the way I feel about misorly, unscrupulous megalomaniacs who force the masses to submit to their will"

...sure sounds angry to me. :D

fanarchist 06-10-2011 03:45 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;806743]"the way I feel about misorly, unscrupulous megalomaniacs who force the masses to submit to their will"

...sure sounds angry to me. :D[/quote]

Ok, so you can bottle the spectrum of human emotion into finite categories and from that somehow define how I feel. Trust me it's not anger. Disenchantment...betrayal perhaps, but not all personal emotion, atleast not for me, is polarizing. The grey area is always welcoming new members you should come and visit sometime.

SmootSmack 06-10-2011 03:46 PM

[quote=fanarchist;806730]You're splitting hairs man. The split is basically 60-40. The extra 6% that your adding on goes to deductibles which can't really be calculated into revenue. I don't doubt that there is more to it than "Snyder is screwing the fans to put money in his pocket". But I believe it's still a portion of it. Didn't intend to take it to the tin hat conspiracy level, but I don't see any other real benefit to the addition.[/quote]

I was just talking more so about how it is distributed (among all teams, not just two) versus how much percentage wise is actually distributed.

SmootSmack 06-10-2011 03:47 PM

[quote=fanarchist;806736]I'm not angry. I'm doing the exact same thing that you're doing, which is attempting to bring the real motivation behind this move to the foreground. I realize the NFL is a business first which is why I brought this topic up to begin with. And if you refer to my previous post you'll see I too called it a COMPAMY. Just because the realization exists doesn't mean I should have to compromise the way I feel about misorly, unscrupulous megalomaniacs who force the masses to submit to their will. Thanks for your insight though, it was very constructive.[/quote]

Man...you're really struggling with this lockout aren't you?

fanarchist 06-10-2011 03:50 PM

I really am. I just need someone to hold me and tell me everything is going to be alright!

Monkeydad 06-10-2011 04:15 PM

I'm sure Michael Strahan would help you out with that.

fanarchist 06-10-2011 04:19 PM

I'd rather have Brian Orakpo. But then again I am a bit of a homer.

Giantone 06-10-2011 04:31 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;806725]I would be stunned if the price of a party deck ticket is the same as the seats that were once there.

And the ticket revenue split is 66% to the home team, 34% to the other 31 teams. Plus the money the home team makes from premium seat fees (which I don't even know these count as, premium seats that is) is what they really keep. The cost of the ticket, if I recall correctly, is subject to be "taken away" from the home team. The home team keeps their share of the club seat ticket and the away team's share is subject to be given out as a "loan" for new stadium financing. As was the case with Gilette Stadium and the New Meadowlands.

Bottom line-there's a lot more to it than just Snyder is screwing the fans to put money in his pocket[/quote]

SS is 100% correct but what isn't accounted for is the reason.......Fact ..the Stadium (who ever that is)...will sell alot more beer and food and...etc at hugely elevated prices....much more then if those seats remained as they were.As I stated when I went to the Giants/Redskins game this year at the "NEW MEADOWLANDS"...those things take away from the football game experence and wrecks it for the fans there to see a game ...with or without the kids be it trying to get to your seat ...going to the bathroom or even in the parking lot....the drunks are wrecking the game.

SmootSmack 06-22-2011 12:03 PM

[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2011/06/22/limited-number-of-fedexfield-seats-to-be-sold-for-charity/]Limited Number Of FedExField Seats To Be Sold For Charity[/url]

Monkeydad 06-22-2011 03:34 PM

[quote=Giantone;806757]SS is 100% correct but what isn't accounted for is the reason.......Fact ..the Stadium (who ever that is)...will sell alot more beer and food and...etc at hugely elevated prices....much more then if those seats remained as they were.As I stated when I went to the Giants/Redskins game this year at the "NEW MEADOWLANDS"...those things take away from the football game experence and wrecks it for the fans there to see a game ...with or without the kids be it trying to get to your seat ...going to the bathroom or even in the parking lot....the drunks are wrecking the game.[/quote]

I'd support if they built a "Drunk Deck". Put it right along the top edge of the stadium and only serve beer there. I've never gone to an NFL game yet, but the many MLB games I've been to have had some moronic drunks...not great for a family outing.

GMScud 07-13-2011 08:34 PM

So I was listening to the Sports Reporters on 980 on the way home, and Andy Pollin and Steve Czaben had Lon Rosenberg (VP of Stadium Operations at FedEx Field) as a call in guest. Couple of interesting things:

The Redskins are NOT in fact planning on installing party decks in the hole in the stadium where those 5,000 seats once were. Apparently that is just an idea that was discussed, and nothing is set in stone.

Apparently before the decision was made to remove the 5,000 seats for the supposed party decks, these seats were offered to the 200,000+ fans (full disclosure: I have been on the waiting list for a long time and was offered tickets last year and passed) the Redskins say are on the waiting list for season tickets. Well, according to Mr. Rosenberg, they couldn't manage to sell a mere 5,000 tickets to 200,000 people. Wow. All you needed was a measly 2.5% of those on the waiting list to bite... no dice.

So I guess it is a waiting list... Waiting for the Redskins to be a decent team? Waiting for a decent stadium to see a game? That's what Pollin and Czaben joked anyway...

They also joked about the fact that a team that has such a legendary waiting list is [I]removing[/I] seating. It was funny. Rosenberg didn't like Czaben calling Fed Ex Field an "overstuffed turkey" when referring to the expanding of the stadium from it's original capacity to over 90K...

Also speculated by The Sports Reporters was the fact that the Skins floated the rumor of the supposed party decks to justify the seat-removal at the time of construction, but it was in fact done to help protect against the potential ramifications of dealing with TV-blackouts a la Jacksonville, since the team couldn't seem to sell the seats despite such an infamous season ticket waiting list. I guess that's not really surprising since the on-field product has been very poor and the stadium is an overpriced and a bad game experience.

Anyway, the podcast isn't up yet, but as soon as it is I'll post it. It was at the end of hour 2. Pretty interesting and entertaining segment.

mlmdub130 07-14-2011 08:10 AM

so whats up with the post's redskins coverage? seems like it's a complete joke with j reid writing about how much he doesn't like shannahan, and whoever the new insider is just running with a made up story about party decks. wierd

MTK 07-14-2011 09:21 AM

It wasn't only the Post reporting on the party decks. Even Redskins.com was reporting it. It's not a made up story, sounds like there has just been a change in plans from what GM is saying.

GMScud 07-14-2011 04:03 PM

[quote=Mattyk;810755]It wasn't only the Post reporting on the party decks. Even Redskins.com was reporting it. It's not a made up story, sounds like there has just been a change in plans from what GM is saying.[/quote]

That's what Lon Rosenberg said on the radio yesterday. The podcast still isn't up on ESPN980.com. I can't find a link anywhere backing up what he's saying, but I heard it with my own two ears.

Giantone 07-14-2011 04:13 PM

ok, no party decks.You cut the price of the lowest tickets by 10 dollars and make it standing room only......where everyone drinks at the bar 20 feet away ....not having a party.:goodjob:

SmootSmack 07-14-2011 05:03 PM

[quote=GMScud;810815]That's what Lon Rosenberg said on the radio yesterday. The podcast still isn't up on ESPN980.com. I can't find a link anywhere backing up what he's saying, but I heard it with my own two ears.[/quote]

Here's the transcript:

Lon: Solar panels will create 850 parking spots that will be covered for our guests in our parking lot, but the real story is about the addition of the solar panels and FedEx Field being one of the first stadiums in the NFL (believe the Eagles were his, my words, not his) to bring sustainable, renewable energy

Reporters: Mm-hmm. Ok, now as far as the seats that are being ripped out to create the party decks. What is the thinking behind that and why is it going to take a year to install these party decks?

Lon: Well currently we removed the seats on both end zones and that project is pretty much completed so that will be ready for the soccer game. The idea is to give us more room, reduce our parking, reduce our lines for the bathroom (interesting spin-hey fewer people means no more waiting in line at the bathroom! again my words, not his), reduce our lines at the concession stand by reducing the total number of people here at FedEx Field (the Jaguars have this model down cold).

Reporters: So that was an issue, the overbuilding of the stadium. The increased capacity. Because when it opened it was 78 and change and the max capacity was 92?

Lon: That's correct

Reporters: So along the way you kind of overstuffed the turkey there is what you're admitting

Lon: That's not what I was saying. I was saying what we remove from the stadium is to give people a little more room. That's correct

Reporters: Ok. Now here's the question. Because the team has said that the waiting list is 200,000 people. 200,000 people waiting for seats, 5,000 of which have been ripped out. How does that make sense for people on the waiting list?

Lon: The people on the waiting list are being offered to buy seats, and we have seats available for them. These are seats that they were not wanting to buy and they were asking to be kept on the waiting list till better seats opened up

Reporters: So these had been seats that had been offered to some of the 200k and they said no, we don't want them. So you're just taking them out

Lon: That's correct

Reporters: And so, did you cycle through all 200k?

Lon: I'm not sure how the ticketing process was done

Reporters: Lon, what will be the capacity of the party decks? Roughly speaking

Lon: We are not putting in party decks at this time. We've just removed the seat. Removed the cement underneath them. And opened up the ends of the upper deck

Reporters: So there's not going to be party decks.

Lon: We have talked about what the future of FedEx Field will bring and that is something that's being discussed.

Reporters: So that's not a done deal yet

Lon: No, that's not

Reporters: When do you think that you'll make a decision on that

Lon: I'm not sure when that decision will be made. There are several ideas that we're talking about

Reporters: Now I did tell people that if they wanted some genuine FedEx Field seats they can be purchased. I believe it was 250 a pair. Is that right?

Lon: Yes, and in fact all of the seats that we have available have been reserved and we have a waiting list of people who have a chance to come out here and if somebody who reserved one doesn't show up to pick theirs up they'll be made available to the people on the standby list on the 22nd of July

For more go here. Interview starts at the 19:42 mark

[url=http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=426&f=113191]ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now[/url]

mlmdub130 07-14-2011 05:06 PM

[quote=Mattyk;810755]It wasn't only the Post reporting on the party decks. Even Redskins.com was reporting it. It's not a made up story, sounds like there has just been a change in plans from what GM is saying.[/quote]

i guess, it just seemed like the post made it out to be a done deal, i'm pretty sure everyone here thought it was a done deal and probably because the post reported it as so. it just seems to be the new theme in journalism to be the first one with the story, even if that means you don't know all the facts.

MTK 07-14-2011 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=mlmdub130;810831]i guess, it just seemed like the post made it out to be a done deal, i'm pretty sure everyone here thought it was a done deal and probably because the post reported it as so. it just seems to be the new theme in journalism to be the first one with the story, even if that means you don't know all the facts.[/QUOTE]

Nah man, like I said Redskins.com was pimping the party deck story from the start, in fact I think it was first reported on the Redskins blog.

ArtMonkDrillz 07-14-2011 07:32 PM

[quote=Mattyk;810849]Nah man, like I said Redskins.com was pimping the party deck story from the start, in fact I think it was first reported on the Redskins blog.[/quote]Seriously, why would ANYONE think those are party decks?!?!?

[url=http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/photo-gallery/FedExField-Party-Decks-In-Progress/fa16077a-2bca-4db9-bda7-075c77ec2b30]FedExField Party Decks In Progress[/url]

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Party-Decks-Are-Coming-to-FedExField/2f12af20-d130-464c-8e76-0af68fe994cb]New Party Decks Are Coming to FedExField[/url]

GMScud 07-14-2011 09:49 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;810830]

Reporters: Lon, what will be the capacity of the party decks? Roughly speaking

Lon: We are not putting in party decks at this time. We've just removed the seat. Removed the cement underneath them. And opened up the ends of the upper deck

Reporters: So there's not going to be party decks.

Lon: We have talked about what the future of FedEx Field will bring and that is something that's being discussed.

Reporters: So that's not a done deal yet

Lon: No, that's not

Reporters: When do you think that you'll make a decision on that

Lon: I'm not sure when that decision will be made. There are several ideas that we're talking about

Reporters: Now I did tell people that if they wanted some genuine FedEx Field seats they can be purchased. I believe it was 250 a pair. Is that right?

For more go here. Interview starts at the 19:42 mark

[URL="http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=426&f=113191"]ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now[/URL][/quote]

There you go. Thanks. Last time I checked (which was the morning around 11am), the entire podcast wasn't available.

So there you have it. No party decks despite the announcement of party decks on the Redskins official blog, website, Washington Post, etc etc.

I wish the Reporters would have asked Lon the question: "Why did the team and the blog make official annoucements about the decision to build party decks if in fact there really was no concrete decision?"

Let's call this what it was folks, a cute little way to spin not having to worry about TV blackouts. Yank a bunch of seats that your beloved waiting list didn't even want and pretend you're doing something really cool with the space. Won't it make FedEx so much more fun to look at with a 5,000 seat hole in the upper deck?

Another Snyder masterpiece. :doh:

MTK 07-14-2011 10:26 PM

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-say-they-were-unable-to-sell-season-tickets-for-seats-removed-from-fedex-field/2011/07/14/gIQA1vbwEI_story.html[/url]

GMScud 07-14-2011 11:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk;810896][url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-say-they-were-unable-to-sell-season-tickets-for-seats-removed-from-fedex-field/2011/07/14/gIQA1vbwEI_story.html]Redskins official says team was unable to sell season tickets for seats removed from FedEx Field - The Washington Post[/url][/quote]

Sheesh, they never even hired an architect to see if it's actually structurally capabale of supporting party decks, yet they announced months ago that party decks was the definitive plan? WTF is going on?

MTK 07-15-2011 08:50 AM

Somebody jumped the gun I guess, or maybe after looking at the big picture they decided it wasn't economically viable right now. They weren't supposed to be in place until 2012 anyway so perhaps it still ends up happening.

Monkeydad 07-15-2011 09:40 AM

I can't figure out how a "deck" is going on... what's going on here? Aren't decks supposed to be FLAT? Those rear supports make it look like the floor of the deck will be at a 45-degree slope...unless they're going to add front supports and make it sit at some incredible height above the rest of the stadium, even with the roofline.

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/07/02-fedexview.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/07/04-fedexview.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/07/01-fedexview.jpg[/IMG]

Is that tiny fenced-off section the "party deck"?

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/07/05-fedexview.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/07/02-fedexview.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2011/07/03-fedexview.jpg[/IMG]

Monkeydad 07-15-2011 09:43 AM

Solar panel photos:

[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2011/07/13/and-now-photos-of-the-solar-panel-construction/#continued]And Now, Photos Of The Solar Panel Construction[/url]

sportscurmudgeon 07-15-2011 10:46 AM

Anyone notice from the WaPo article that Lon Rosenberg (VP for operations) said the reason for removing the seats was "to ease traffic congestion and lines at concession stands and bathrooms at the stadium..."

Riddle me this...

If they can't sell tix to those seats they are removing, how will that ease traffic congestion or lines at the stadium. Do ghosts inhabit the seats and cause the lines? Who drives the extra cars to the stadium to add to the congestion without having a ticket?

SmootSmack 07-15-2011 12:34 PM

We really need to get this lockout over with

[url=http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Allen-Discusses-FedExField-Changes/6738aca2-ac99-4212-b815-d1208fb024f2?]Allen Discusses FedExField Changes[/url]

MTK 07-15-2011 12:47 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;810960]I can't figure out how a "deck" is going on... what's going on here? Aren't decks supposed to be FLAT? Those rear supports make it look like the floor of the deck will be at a 45-degree slope...unless they're going to add front supports and make it sit at some incredible height above the rest of the stadium, even with the roofline.[/quote]

Maybe you missed this entire thread, but they aren't putting in the decks.

MTK 07-15-2011 12:49 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;810992]We really need to get this lockout over with

[URL="http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Allen-Discusses-FedExField-Changes/6738aca2-ac99-4212-b815-d1208fb024f2?"]Allen Discusses FedExField Changes[/URL][/quote]

Yeah seriously. We've been in WTF land for a while now.

GMScud 07-15-2011 01:00 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;810972]Anyone notice from the WaPo article that Lon Rosenberg (VP for operations) said the reason for removing the seats was "to ease traffic congestion and lines at concession stands and bathrooms at the stadium..."

Riddle me this...

If they can't sell tix to those seats they are removing, how will that ease traffic congestion or lines at the stadium. Do ghosts inhabit the seats and cause the lines? Who drives the extra cars to the stadium to add to the congestion without having a ticket?[/quote]

Haha yeah good point. What the heck is going on? This situation is a complete fail. WTF land is right.

GMScud 07-15-2011 01:05 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;810992]We really need to get this lockout over with

[URL="http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Allen-Discusses-FedExField-Changes/6738aca2-ac99-4212-b815-d1208fb024f2?"]Allen Discusses FedExField Changes[/URL][/quote]

Whaaaa? Doesn't really jive with Lon Rosenberg's interview. Oh well. I guess none of us should be surprised about dysfunction in Redskins land.

SmootSmack 07-15-2011 04:06 PM

Official new statement

[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2011/07/15/redskins-reach-out-to-fans-on-the-waitlist/]Redskins Reach Out To Fans On The Waitlist[/url]

Ruhskins 07-15-2011 04:19 PM

[quote=GMScud;811001]Whaaaa? Doesn't really jive with Lon Rosenberg's interview. Oh well. I guess none of us should be surprised about dysfunction in Redskins land.[/quote]

It is all part of their tanking strategy. LOL. :smashfrea

mlmdub130 07-15-2011 05:08 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;811037]Official new statement

[url=http://blog.redskins.com/2011/07/15/redskins-reach-out-to-fans-on-the-waitlist/]Redskins Reach Out To Fans On The Waitlist[/url][/quote]

seriously wtf is going on over there? so they just got ansy and started taking apart the stadium one day without any real plan set in stone? because thats what it appears is going on. i know it's just beating a dead horse but why do they have to keep forcing bs down our throats constantly? it's a real shitty feeling to have such animosity towards my own team.

GMScud 07-15-2011 05:40 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;811037]Official new statement

[URL="http://blog.redskins.com/2011/07/15/redskins-reach-out-to-fans-on-the-waitlist/"]Redskins Reach Out To Fans On The Waitlist[/URL][/quote]

Once again with the "shorter lines, easier for parking, etc etc" stuff. It's a non-sequitor. If the seats wouldn't sell to begin with, how is removing empty seats going to shorten any lines??

mooby 07-15-2011 10:05 PM

It sounds like nobody is on the same page at Redskins Park. As for the party decks, well this offseason they've only started removing the concrete that sat on top of the steel beams you see in the photos. If they actually do go ahead with the party decks, provided it gets approved and that ends up being the plan, obviously they'd have to change the structure of the end zone upper level to put the decks in place.

sportscurmudgeon 07-15-2011 11:42 PM

Interesting happening here:

I am [B]NOT[/B] on the waiting list for Redskins' season tickets. I never was...

On 12 July, 93 days ago) I received a "cold call" from the Redskins' ticket department telling me that I could have season tickets in any one of three stadium areas if I used my credit card to make a downpayment on tickets right then.

The young man who called identified himself as "Jeff" or "Jess" - - I really can't say which one for sure. I told him that I was NOT on the waiting list - and never was - and wondered why he was calling me offering tickets. He said something about my name being on a "preferred contact list" that the Redskins had been compiling for the last several years. [B][SIZE="1"][Note: If you have read my comments here and my Internet column comments, you would have to wonder what blockhead in the Redskins' hierarchy would put me on a "preferred contact list".[/SIZE][/B]
I listened to the sales pitch and asked "Jeff/Jess" why he was wasting his time cold calling a preferred contact list when the Redskins had about a hundred thousand people on the waiting list for season tickets. He said that the team valued people on the preferred list because they would be influential in getting others to buy tix too and so I was being offered this opportunity before others on the actual waiting list - - presumably others who had been waiting decades on that list.

I told "Jeff/Jess" as politely as I could to remove my name from the "preferred contact list" because there was no way on Planet Earth that I was going to buy season tickets - - plus two full-priced meaningless exhibition games plus parking credentials - - to see a mediocre football team. I told him that when the Redskins once again became an elite team in the league, I would gladly pay a premium price to get individual game tickets from folks who wanted to re-sell them but that he and his cohorts were wasting their time calling me with a sales pitch.

Conclusion:

1. The 100,000 or so people on the waiting list are a myth. If they were there and chomping at the bit to get tickets, there would be no cold calls and no "preferred contact lists".

2. The ticket situation is not yet "desperate enough" to consider allowing buyers on the "preferred contact list" to buy season tix but not have to buy exhibition games at full price or to buy parking if they do not want it.

3. If the Redskins continue to have to pretend to "sell out" every home game for whatever PR benefits they think accrues to the organization, they will be forced to continue this kind of marketing strategy. If that is the case, they will continue not to sell out their home games.

SmootSmack 07-16-2011 12:02 AM

My friend who has season tix had a similar scenario where he got letter that basically said check here and here (I think one of them was make a down payment) and he basically jumped a lot of people ahead of him and has ridiculous seats (from the upper decks to like the 50 yard line) this year. Apparently a lot of people didn't check both boxes and he jumped past all of them.

The whole season ticket waiting list, I think we realize, is perhaps less than honest. Has been for some 30+ years. But hey, if whatever they're doing is keeping the games from being blacked out. That's fine by me.

GMScud 07-16-2011 01:21 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;811080]My friend who has season tix had a similar scenario where he got letter that basically said check here and here (I think one of them was make a down payment) and he basically jumped a lot of people ahead of him and has ridiculous seats (from the upper decks to like the 50 yard line) this year. Apparently a lot of people didn't check both boxes and he jumped past all of them.

[B]The whole season ticket waiting list, I think we realize, is perhaps less than honest. Has been for some 30+ years. But hey, if whatever they're doing is keeping the games from being blacked out. That's fine by me[/B].[/quote]

I agree, but the whole thing is just so symptomatic of the Snyder regime that it just bothers me. One shady move after another. Sure JKC may have had the same "list," but at least his teams won.

SmootSmack 07-16-2011 01:30 AM

[quote=GMScud;811088]I agree, but the whole thing is just so symptomatic of the Snyder regime that it just bothers me. One shady move after another. Sure JKC may have had the same "list," but at least his teams won.[/quote]

Yeah I guess ultimately all that matters is wins