Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1st 2023 NFL Draft Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=65136)

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 10:00 AM

1st 2023 NFL Draft Thread

23: R1 P23 - G Peter Skoronski - Northwestern
54: R2 P23 - TE Cameron Latu - Alabama
98: R3 P35 - C Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas
125: R4 P23 - LB Payton Wilson - NC State
158: R5 P23 - CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson - TCU
198: R6 P23 - OT Ryan Hayes - Michigan
238: R7 P23 - OT Christian Jones - Texas
249: R7 P34 - QB Nolan Henderson - Delaware

Would need to bring in a veteran tackle or 2 in this instance.

EdmundDorf 12-19-2022 12:06 PM

Re: 1st 2023 NFL Draft Thread

From what I read it doesn't sound like Skoronski will last that long. But ...

A. What is the solution at QB, that dictates all other moves
B. Is Cosmi now a G or still RT?

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 12:11 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1332999]From what I read it doesn't sound like Skoronski will last that long. But ...

A. What is the solution at QB, that dictates all other moves
B. Is Cosmi now a G or still RT?[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think so either. But you can only use who is/isn't available when doing a mock.

A. I like Howell more than most. I think he can be our starter next year. But still want a developmental guy to be drafted.

B. Good question. I think that is based on who else we add after the season. The good thing is he has some flexibility. My preference would be for him to play RT, because he is athletic for an OL. But I'm fine w/ G too.

EdmundDorf 12-19-2022 12:16 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1333001]Yeah, I don't think so either. But you can only use who is/isn't available when doing a mock.

A. I like Howell more than most. I think he can be our starter next year. But still want a developmental guy to be drafted.

B. Good question. I think that is based on who else we add after the season. The good thing is he has some flexibility. My preference would be for him to play RT, because he is athletic for an OL. But I'm fine w/ G too.[/quote]

I wasn't in the play Howell camp before this week but am coming around to the idea.

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 12:20 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1333004]I wasn't in the play Howell camp before this week but am coming around to the idea.[/quote]

I think he deserves a chance.

That being said, I won't be upset if they were to get a Carr or Goff, etc., if the price was right, or if they drafted a guy higher.

We all complain about not having a QB, so we can't complain about taking our swings. You gotta keep trying until you get your guy. Rivera set Wentz up for failure here. He needs a top-level OL to remotely have a chance to be successful, he gave him a bottom 5 pass-blocking OL. He never had a chance w/ this years line. But even considering that, he just doesn't look like he has enough good in the tank to try again next year.

My personal preference is to let Howell start, but I'm not opposed to other solutions either.

SunnySide 12-19-2022 12:27 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1333006]I think he deserves a chance.

That being said, I won't be upset if they were to get a Carr or Goff, etc., if the price was right, or if they drafted a guy higher.

We all complain about not having a QB, so we can't complain about taking our swings. You gotta keep trying until you get your guy. Rivera set Wentz up for failure here. He needs a top-level OL to remotely have a chance to be successful, he gave him a bottom 5 pass-blocking OL. He never had a chance w/ this years line. But even considering that, he just doesn't look like he has enough good in the tank to try again next year.

[B]My personal preference is to let Howell start[/B], but I'm not opposed to other solutions either.[/quote]

Guys havent played their hearts out, through pain all year ... to have a rookie come in and "see what hes got" in the crucial final 2 games to make the playoffs.

We are the 7th seed and in the playoffs right now.

Lets keep in medium, make the playoffs, take our first round exit and call this season a success all things considered.

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 12:38 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1333011]Guys havent played their hearts out, through pain all year ... to have a rookie come in and "see what hes got" in the crucial final 2 games to make the playoffs.

Lets keep in medium, make the playoffs, take our first round exit and call this season a success all things considered.[/quote]

I was talking about for next year. No way they throw him in against the 9ers, especially on the road (although I'm not really against this either). Heinicke will start at least 1 more game then him or Wentz will start against Cleveland. If we lose that one, maybe Howell starts the last game of the season.

SunnySide 12-19-2022 01:48 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1333014]I was talking about for next year. No way they throw him in against the 9ers, especially on the road (although I'm not really against this either). Heinicke will start at least 1 more game then him or Wentz will start against Cleveland. If we lose that one, maybe Howell starts the last game of the season.[/quote]

As a non 1st round QB .. I like Devin Leary from NC State. Ranked around #16th for QBs, #160th or so overall

EdmundDorf 12-19-2022 01:50 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1333011]Guys havent played their hearts out, through pain all year ... to have a rookie come in and "see what hes got" in the crucial final 2 games to make the playoffs.

Lets keep in medium, make the playoffs, take our first round exit and call this season a success all things considered.[/quote]

You are being very optimistic about the playoffs. Giants need to win one more game and the Lions have an easy (ish) end to the schedule. Meanwhile our offense which scored net 5 points against the Giants is going to get eaten alive in at least 2 of our next 3 games. No sense in playing Howell now, would do more damage than good but increasingly likely he plays against the Cowboys.

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 01:56 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1333028]As a non 1st round QB .. I like Devin Leary from NC State. Ranked around #16th for QBs, #160th or so overall[/quote]

He is transferring and playing 1 more year.

[url]https://www.si.com/college/kentucky/football/nc-state-qb-transfer-kentucky-target-devin-leary-visiting-auburn[/url]

He has good numbers, possible 1st round pick pick if he has another good year wherever he goes.

PorkSkins 12-19-2022 01:59 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1333029]You are being very optimistic about the playoffs. Giants need to win one more game and the Lions have an easy (ish) end to the schedule. Meanwhile our offense which scored net 5 points against the Giants is going to get eaten alive in at least 2 of our next 3 games. No sense in playing Howell now, would do more damage than good but increasingly likely he plays against the Cowboys.[/quote]

Not sure how much the Cowboys will play their starters against us if they lose to the Eagles on Saturday. They'll likely be locked into the 5th spot if they lose Saturday.

Keep your eyes open for possible shady officiating to build up "last week of the season" hype.

SunnySide 12-19-2022 02:00 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1333031]He is transferring and playing 1 more year.

[url]https://www.si.com/college/kentucky/football/nc-state-qb-transfer-kentucky-target-devin-leary-visiting-auburn[/url]

He has good numbers, possible 1st round pick pick if he has another good year wherever he goes.[/quote]

Dang thanks for the info. Thought he might be a decent sleeper.

Hes 23 ...

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 02:10 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1333037]Dang thanks for the info. Thought he might be a decent sleeper.

Hes 23 ...[/quote]

Yeah, the extra year everyone got for COVID is making for lots of older dudes in college. Guys playing college for 6 years.

sdskinsfan2001 12-19-2022 02:20 PM

23: R1 P23 - CB Joey Porter Jr. - Penn State
54: R2 P23 - OT Darnell Wright - Tennessee
98: R3 P35 - QB Aidan O'Connell - Purdue
125: R4 P23 - LB Nick Herbig - Wisconsin
158: R5 P23 - TE Sam LaPorta - Iowa
198: R6 P23 - G Jaylon Thomas - SMU
238: R7 P23 - C Alex Forsyth - Oregon
249: R7 P34 - OT Ryan Hayes - Michigan

That Guy 12-19-2022 08:28 PM

OT early, G/Cs late. QB and OL both need to be addressed if we want to see any real improvement (and yes, sam howell should have a shot, but drafting a QB in the 5th and making any assumption about him being the answer with no real game film is a bad bet, so I don't think his place on the roster should in any way stop the team from pursuing all possible options at QB)