Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Suggestions for 1st NASCAR event? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23759)

SmootSmack 06-27-2008 12:37 PM

Re: Suggestions for 1st NASCAR event?

Try to meet Jeff Burton. I doubt you'll meet a nicer guy.

jsarno 06-27-2008 12:46 PM

For the money, which section would you guys pick?
There would be 4 of us going and if we're in turn 1 (allison), it's $440 for all of us. We could do another section for a lot cheaper...like lower center for around $288 total and have a view of the pits. (not including pit passes which are $50 extra each).
I feel stupid asking that, but I want to have the best time possible, and I don't know if being in turn 1 is the best possible seat as the website is suggesting. $110 a ticket seems steep to me ($160 each with pitpasses), but if it's not, let me know.

here is a link FYI: [url=http://www.phoenixinternationalraceway.com/]Home - Phoenix Raceway[/url]

jsarno 06-27-2008 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;454407]Try to meet Jeff Burton. I doubt you'll meet a nicer guy.[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for when you'd say that. LOL.

So it appears that Stewart will be out after 09...you prepared for that?

BDBohnzie 06-27-2008 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;454411]For the money, which section would you guys pick?
There would be 4 of us going and if we're in turn 1 (allison), it's $440 for all of us. We could do another section for a lot cheaper...like lower center for around $288 total and have a view of the pits. (not including pit passes which are $50 extra each).
I feel stupid asking that, but I want to have the best time possible, and I don't know if being in turn 1 is the best possible seat as the website is suggesting. $110 a ticket seems steep to me ($160 each with pitpasses), but if it's not, let me know.

here is a link FYI: [url=http://www.phoenixinternationalraceway.com/]Home - Phoenix Raceway[/url][/QUOTE]
The trade off is in turn 1, you can be higher up, which means you can see the more of the track. It's funny...the closer you are to the track, the cheaper the ticket usually is...

While center gives you great vantage point of the pits, you may not be able to see the start/finish line very well...

SmootSmack 06-27-2008 01:44 PM

Clint Bowyer is kind of cool too, but he's all over the place when you try to talk to him. Save yourself the trouble, and stay away from Kurt Busch. Not a bad guy really, but you're not going to get much out of him most likely.

As for Stewart, I think ultimately he'll have some sort of ownership yet still be affiliated with JGR. But who knows for sure? Either way, my loyalties lie primarily with Joe Gibbs Racing, not Tony Stewart.

SmootSmack 06-27-2008 01:53 PM

By the way,

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3463385]ESPN - Hendrick announces Mears' departure at end of Sprint Cup season - Racing[/url]

jsarno 06-27-2008 03:42 PM

Just an FYI, I odered my tickets. I will be in Allison section 2m row 19. I got pit passes as well. Hopefully I can meet Jeff Gordon.
Any advice for someone trying to see their favorite driver?

jsarno 06-27-2008 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;454423]By the way,

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3463385]ESPN - Hendrick announces Mears' departure at end of Sprint Cup season - Racing[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I saw that on the ESPN ticker too. I am not upset about this at all. Mears has done nothing for Hendricks all season. I'd love to see Martin go full time for us though.

jsarno 06-27-2008 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie;454421]The trade off is in turn 1, you can be higher up, which means you can see the more of the track. It's funny...the closer you are to the track, the cheaper the ticket usually is...

While center gives you great vantage point of the pits, you may not be able to see the start/finish line very well...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I decided to go with Allison section turn 1/2. I think I'll be closer to turn 2.

BDBohnzie 06-27-2008 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;454436]Just an FYI, I odered my tickets. I will be in Allison section 2m row 19. I got pit passes as well. Hopefully I can meet Jeff Gordon.
Any advice for someone trying to see their favorite driver?[/QUOTE]
From those seats, you should have a great view of the cars coming out of 1 and shooting down the backstretch.

As far as trying to see Gordon, look to see if he's doing any signings. Probably the best way to see him. With the Pit Passes, just wander around, find his trailer, pit stall, etc.

Should be a blast man.

jsarno 06-28-2008 12:28 AM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie;454445]From those seats, you should have a great view of the cars coming out of 1 and shooting down the backstretch.

As far as trying to see Gordon, look to see if he's doing any signings. Probably the best way to see him. With the Pit Passes, just wander around, find his trailer, pit stall, etc.

Should be a blast man.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if Jeff Gordon is even personable like that?

jsarno 06-29-2008 12:54 AM

What is the best device I should buy to listen to race while watching? Any suggestions?

Also, if I bought a headset radio, will that drown out the roars from the cars, or should I still bring ear plugs?

BDBohnzie 06-30-2008 10:02 AM

Depends on how you want to approach it. For less than $100, you can get a portable Mp3 Player/Walkman with AM/FM capabilities and listen to MRN. For $130 (Radio Shack) or more, you can get a decent scanner and program in the radio frequencies for the pits). For $300 plus subscription, you can get the Sirius Stiletto 2, which is a portable Satellite/Internet Radio plus Mp3 Player. You'd be able to listen to the race plus pit frequencies of several drivers (Gordon is not one of the permanent frequencies, but each week, they put up a Fan's Choice, which is voted on at sirius.com, he won last week's vote for the New Hampshire race). However, I think the scanner rentals at the track are somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-50.

And unless you have the headphone cans (the style that completely surround your ears), I'd still go with earplugs.

Monkeydad 06-30-2008 03:39 PM

With the cheaper AM/FM option, you can go to the bathroom during the commercials and not miss any action. :D

You don't have to spend $100 for that...you can get them MUCH cheaper.

I'd go for the Radio Shack scanner.

Monkeydad 06-30-2008 03:41 PM

As for getting to see Gordon, take a sign that says "Marry me, Jeff!" and he'll come find you.