Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Redskins Locker Room (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favorite Current Redskin and why? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=319)

dieselhog 03-08-2004 11:08 AM

Favorite Current Redskin and why?

Mine is Coles.... love his attitude his professionalism and his talent. What about everyone else?

This is unusual for me, my fave players have always been defenders in the past, Manley, Brad Edwards, Wilbur Marshall, Marvcus Patton....

Gmanc711 03-08-2004 11:12 AM

I agree. Laverneous Coles be cause the exact same reasons you just said. (HM: For Ramsey, Smoot, Arrington)

ChounsMan 03-08-2004 11:16 AM

Lavar Arrington :D

Lavar has shown me on & off the field that he takes pride wearing the burgundy & gold..!

Lavar is a well respected player in the NFL.

Who can argue that he is not their most valuable player?

joethiesmanfan 03-08-2004 11:20 AM

smoot

[QUOTE=ChounsMan]Lavar Arrington :D

Lavar has shown me on & off the field that he takes pride wearing the burgundy & gold..!

Lavar is a well respected player in the NFL.

Who can argue that he is not their most valuable player?[/QUOTE]

Fred Smoot smooth agiel and surprisingly good tackler

crlesh 03-08-2004 11:23 AM

Ramsey

Great talent and ambition. He wants to play, not just cash a check. I won't be surprised at all when he beats out Brunell for the starting job.

I got burned when I bought Champ's jerseys, but I don't see that happening with Ramsey.

dieselhog 03-08-2004 11:31 AM

I'm sure Patrick will beat Mark Brunell out too.

Arrington, I would say is the most commited to the cause and I loved Smoot's quote when we lost to the Cowboys - "I don't care if we're 0-16, We have to beat them. They are the Cowboys and I hate them."

SmootSmack 03-08-2004 12:14 PM

Fred Smoot. Aside from being a great player what I love about him is the enthusiasm he brings. He's like a kid in a candy store when he's out on the field. Yet at the same time, he showed last year some serious leadership skills and maturity. Even before he left you could tell Champ was there for Champ while Smoot is there for the Redskins

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-08-2004 12:17 PM

ADE JIMOH, of course!!

After him, Brandon Noble and Rock Cartwright. Those guys get it done in the trenches...

Defensewins 03-08-2004 12:22 PM

Brunell- he brings veteran stability and playoff experience to the most important position in football. A position the Redskins have had inconsistent, erratic, sub-par play since we lost Brad Johnson.
He will be a great mentor to Ramsey and help him become a star. He will teach Ramsey to get rid of the ball sooner and not take so many sacks like did in college and pro's. To be able to sense the rush and avoid it.

backrow 03-08-2004 12:23 PM

Ade!

Ade! What happens when the "Real" Ade Jimoh is released? How long will it take you to switch allegiences?

Mine: HOF Coach Gibbs! He bleeds B&G and has 3 SB rings! No one else comes close! In fact, I'm not sure anyone else on the team has even one ring!

crlesh 03-08-2004 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins]Brunell- he brings veteran stability and playoff experience to the most important position in football. A position the Redskins have had inconsistent, erratic, sub-par play since we lost Brad Johnson.
He will be a great mentor to Ramsey and help him become a star. He will teach Ramsey to get rid of the ball sooner and not take so many sacks like did in college and pro's. To be able to sense the rush and avoid it.[/QUOTE]

Ramsey will surely benefit from Brunell's presence, and I like Brunell, but he hasn't sweated or taken a hit for us yet. I welcome Brunell with open arms and respect his years with the Jags but I'll reserve judgement on him until we see his contribution to the Skins.

Skins fan 44 03-08-2004 12:37 PM

Coach Gibbs.
Player: Lavar-he just seems like he wants to not only get a check but also wants to play for the Redskins possibly all of his career which will be very rare if he does.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-08-2004 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]Ade! What happens when the "Real" Ade Jimoh is released? How long will it take you to switch allegiences?[/QUOTE]

You are insance, man! Ade is going to have a breakout mini-camp and be starting across from Smoot. Springs will be the nickel back. How sweet will that be?

Scenario Two: Ade Jimoh can fill in on the D-Line so that everyone will stop complaining and let us draft the 2005 Rookie of the Year - Sean Taylor!!

hkh 03-08-2004 12:43 PM

Coles -- in a league with Owens, Moss, and Keyshawn, he is a down to earth pro bowl reciever. He is so exciting to watch and really is a team player.

SmootSmack 03-08-2004 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club]You are insance, man! Ade is going to have a breakout mini-camp and be starting across from Smoot. Springs will be the nickel back. How sweet will that be?

Scenario Two: Ade Jimoh can fill in on the D-Line so that everyone will stop complaining and let us draft the 2005 Rookie of the Year - Sean Taylor!![/QUOTE]

I'm going to ask the question we're all thinking. Why Ade? I mean that's a really original choice for a favorite player. Props to you on that. When he blows up and starts making frequent trips to Hawaii, you can say you were a fan of his back in the day.

Is Pita Elisara a close second for you? :D

Jamaican'Skin 03-08-2004 01:32 PM

Favorite current Redskin has to be LaVar. He just seems to exude enthusiasm on and off the field. He's the type of player that just gets it done and I like that. I remember when he was upset about the fact that after one of our rivalry games guys were horsing around. I think that shows maturity and team leadership.

backrow 03-08-2004 01:35 PM

Ade!

Ade Fan! I'm not insane. Just Old! My grown kids are not making decisions for me yet!
I saw Ade get burnt more often than not last year. I cringed everytime I saw him in the game because the WR would catch it in front of him and spin out to get more YAC! He must have been very close to OBC and the Defensive Coach last year.

He's gone before training camp ends because we have better coaches who know D, and can evaluate talent!

Smoot, Springs, Bauman, Terrell, and the new guy (Rams), in no particular order, and all are better! That makes five guys I deem a better player than Ade Jimoh, and we won't have 6 CBs on the final roster!

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-08-2004 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I'm going to ask the question we're all thinking. Why Ade? [/QUOTE]

Why Ade Jimoh is my favorite player, by the President of his Fan Club:

1) We need a big, strong corner to cover TO when he cries his way to Philly. From an article written on him: "At 6'2'', 195 pounds, Jimoh excelled in the weight room, bench pressing 355 pounds and squatting 450 pounds."

2) Coach of the Year 2005, Joe Gibs, is looking for "quality character traits". From an Ade article: "Ade has a special quality about himself," said assistant USU strength and conditioning coach Paul Arndorfer. "The harder the workouts are, the harder he trains. He is a great leader, is well respected, and uses the training to make himself and his teammates better."

3) First and foremost, he has a kick-ass name. In some African dialect, it probably means: "Rock of the Defense" or "Corn on the Cob". If you rearrange the letters, you get: "Deja Homi". In ebonics, that means: "Try again, Homey!"

I could go on.....

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 03-08-2004 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]Ade Fan! I'm not insane. Just Old! My grown kids are not making decisions for me yet!
I saw Ade get burnt more often than not last year. I cringed everytime I saw him in the game because the WR would catch it in front of him and spin out to get more YAC! He must have been very close to OBC and the Defensive Coach last year.

He's gone before training camp ends because we have better coaches who know D, and can evaluate talent!

Smoot, Springs, Bauman, Terrell, and the new guy (Rams), in no particular order, and all are better! That makes five guys I deem a better player than Ade Jimoh, and we won't have 6 CBs on the final roster![/QUOTE]

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah..... all very valid and good points. HOWEVER- can you name one of those five guys that has more upside than Ade Jimoh???

I didn't think so...

He's gotta be the Redskins leader in upside potential! Go Ade!

SkinsRock 03-08-2004 04:02 PM

Offense: Coles/Ramsey
Defense: Arrington/Smoot

As you can see, I have trouble picking just one, but all 4 of them have become the players you think of when you think of the Redskins.

Oh yeah, I can't not mention McCants, a local guy that has worked his butt off to get where he is, and is about to fulfill a dream playing for Gibbs.

SmootSmack 03-08-2004 04:05 PM

I think once people see a few games of Marcus Washington in a Skins uniform he'll emerge as a fan favorite

jdlea 03-08-2004 04:19 PM

Patrick Ramsey.
The closest thing we've had to a "franchise" QB since Theisman. He's got a great arm, he's tough, and he's smart. Pat's a beast and he'll be the starter next season.

SkinsRock 03-08-2004 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I think once people see a few games of Marcus Washington in a Skins uniform he'll emerge as a fan favorite[/QUOTE]

Having him on one side and Lavar on the other is going to be just sick! And if Trotter steps back up to the form he was in Philly, watch out!
I can't wait...

johnnyredskin63 03-08-2004 05:30 PM

i can't pick one,so i'll pick two.one is lavernaus coles because he never quits ever on anyplay,and he played half of last year with a broken foot proving that he put the team before himself.my other fave is lavar arrington,he tries harder than any player i have ever seen and he never quits either.coach joe gibbs is my all time fave redskins ever though because he brought us 3 superbowl trophies.george allen is a close second though.

itvnetop 03-08-2004 05:48 PM

i like watching arrington's demeanor when he plays... like during the game against the fins on sunday night, "will the real rickey williams please stand up?" (although they choked and lost that game.

i also like jon jansen's consistency.

johnnyredskin63 03-08-2004 05:55 PM

joe gibbs is the vince lombardi of his era.just like john gruden is the joe gibbs of his era.i hate the bucs,but gruden is one of the top 5 coaches in the league easily.

skinsfanthru&thru 03-08-2004 10:52 PM

lavar arrington because I love the way he almost seems to teleport across the field to crunch someone especially when he did that to aikman a couple of years ago. I can live with him overplaying at times because I know he is more than likely going to make up for it in some way or another later on.

Ghost 03-08-2004 11:49 PM

By far my favorite Redskins player is Jon Jansen. He typifies everything I like about football. He's a Hog.

But right now my dark horse is ... Ade Jimoh, the very cornerstone of our defense. Did I just say that? I think there's a virus going around or something.

azskinsfan2 03-08-2004 11:50 PM

Coles definitely on offense, he's the go to guy and gets it done.
McCants in the red zone, Mr. Touchdown!!!
Smoot on defense. He plays injured and still gets the job done and leads by example!!!

Daseal 03-09-2004 12:33 AM

Smoot has been my favorite player for years (Cpayne can attest to that) I've always loved his attitude. I make fun of his speech at times, but that's only because I can't ever keep up with him. I think he's great for the team, he gets our team ready to go and makes the opposing teams receivers deaf. There's nothing not to like about this guy. He's tough, plays with heart, and isn't afraid to say how much he fucking hates Dallas. Just like everyone here!

WE WANT DALLAS!

Gmanc711 03-09-2004 12:40 AM

I love Smoot, Ramsey, Arrington, Coles, and just about everyone else. Theres not too many Skins' I dont like.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 03-09-2004 12:42 AM

Hmmmmm. maybe Ramsey?

A close second is Coles. LC is a star that doesn't act like one; he doesn't complain about not getting more touches, he works hard, he is modest, he always points out his flaws (i.e. dropped balls-which is rare), he fights for every yard, he's got great hands, is fast, there's not much to dislike.

My third favorite would be Jon Jansen for all the reasons listed above.

My fourth favorite is McCants - he's been on 99.1 and he's a funny, down to earth type guy. On the show he said that he and LC go to karaoke bars together (he actually has a very good voice).

Close runner-ups:
Randy Thomas (for his ability)
LaVar (ditto)
Trotter (because he's a pretty nice, modest, and underrated - not overrated- guy)

JWsleep 03-09-2004 01:51 AM

Offense: Coles. Heart, guts, skill and desire. Remember the fumble he caused? (Runner up: Ramsey, for the arm and the moxie to keep getting up.)

D: Smoot: Great heart and the mouth to match. Played with the bruised sternum that makes every breath painful. (Runner up: Lavar, for the sheer hitting power and speed.)

ST: Hall. A kicker with a linebacker's heart. Mr. Clutch.

Overall: GIBBS. Enough said.

cpayne5 03-09-2004 09:32 AM

I like Ramsey, Jansen, and Coles. All 3 are class acts.
Smoot - he's hilarious in person.
Hall (he's a 240 lb kicker, need I say more?)

I also like Dan Snyder. He gets a lot of grief for his moves, but the guy puts so much effort into winning that you must give him a little credit.

Phinehas 03-09-2004 12:44 PM

Ramsey and Coles: They both have so much heart and humility that it would be difficult not to cheer for them.

Arrington: I love the way he plays. Without reservation or hesitation, he will literally launch himself through the air toward the ball carrier. I also like his sense of loyalty to the team.

--Phin

sonny-j-no9 03-09-2004 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club]Why Ade Jimoh is my favorite player, by the President of his Fan Club:

1) We need a big, strong corner to cover TO when he cries his way to Philly. From an article written on him: "At 6'2'', 195 pounds, Jimoh excelled in the weight room, bench pressing 355 pounds and squatting 450 pounds."

2) Coach of the Year 2005, Joe Gibs, is looking for "quality character traits". From an Ade article: "Ade has a special quality about himself," said assistant USU strength and conditioning coach Paul Arndorfer. "The harder the workouts are, the harder he trains. He is a great leader, is well respected, and uses the training to make himself and his teammates better."

3) First and foremost, he has a kick-ass name. In some African dialect, it probably means: "Rock of the Defense" or "Corn on the Cob". If you rearrange the letters, you get: "Deja Homi". In ebonics, that means: "Try again, Homey!"

I could go on.....[/QUOTE]

That is freakin hillarious! You have me convinced...

MTK 03-09-2004 01:05 PM

Ramsey-after last season how can you not love this guy?

Coles-big heart, great work ethic

Arrington-big hitter, still has room to grow but he's fun to watch

Jansen-old school lineman in the mold of the Hogs

Smoot-wasn't a big fan of him until last year, he definitely stepped up his game and his leadership, to think we wanted to trade him!

bridaman51 03-09-2004 08:09 PM

This is a tuff one. I love Smoot, I remember reading about him right before they drafted him and how he had first round potential but his mouth and off the field antics made teams over look him and then when we got him in the second round I was estatic. I knew this guy was special. I love the way he talks smack (smootsmack) and then backs it up on the field, he is not disrespectful to another player or the game. But then you got a guy like Coles an absolute die hard worker who would die for this game, he aint flashy like moss, or owens he just goes out, hurt, sick, it dont matter and plays football the only way he knows how HARD. Same can be said about Ramsey talk about Gutsy that poor boy had to throw the ball every down from his back. Rock Cartwright His name alone says he is a football player. Lavar, guy is flat out scary, and intense he is defenitely someone I want on my team for the no other reason than I dont want to get hit by him. And Finally Ethan Albright just because I was a long snapper. That was a tuff question and I could go on and on about every player on the skins.

offiss 03-09-2004 08:59 PM

I had to vote for ramsey, why? because he's smart like me! :D