Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bigger Surprising Start To the Season? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32828)

SmootSmack 10-20-2009 10:22 AM

Bigger Surprising Start To the Season?

Just to get away from Redskins' talk for a little bit

warpaint 10-20-2009 10:29 AM

Re: Bigger Surprising Start To the Season?

I will say the play of K.Orten and how Denver is playing as a whole. That does not look like the guy from Chicago.

Longtimefan 10-20-2009 10:36 AM

The NO Saints, espically the way they disposed the Giants on Sunday.

hail_2_da_skins 10-20-2009 10:38 AM

Kyle Orton was the last starting quarterback taken in our Fantasy Football draft. I ended up taking him, thinking I wasted a pick. Everyone in our league thought he was damaged goods after being in Chicago. It's amazing what a new setting and scheme can change the fortunes of a player. Look at Cedric Benson, he left Chicago a bum and is blossoming in Cincinnati. What does that say about Chicago's offense. Obviously they were not getting the most out of their talent. I think that's happening in Washington. The Skins are going to give up on Jason Campbell and he will be a good player elsewhere.

SFREDSKIN 10-20-2009 10:53 AM

If you guys noticed, the Broncos signed a lot of reasonable priced FA's, made some nice trades, drafted well and they are producing, which attributes to the teams Success. Moral of the story, they didn't spend almost $200 Million on 3 players.

DynamiteRave 10-20-2009 10:54 AM

[quote=hail_2_da_skins;612643]Kyle Orton was the last starting quarterback taken in our Fantasy Football draft. I ended up taking him, thinking I wasted a pick. Everyone in our league thought he was damaged goods after being in Chicago. It's amazing what a new setting and scheme can change the fortunes of a player. Look at Cedric Benson, he left Chicago a bum and is blossoming in Cincinnati. What does that say about Chicago's offense. Obviously they were not getting the most out of their talent. I think that's happening in Washington. [B]The Skins are going to give up on Jason Campbell and he will be a good player elsewhere.[/B][/quote]

That's usually how it works most of the time for the Skins. i.e. Akers, Pierce, others I'm sure I'm forgetting...

BDBohnzie 10-20-2009 11:00 AM

I think Tennessee's downfall is more surprising. A team that went 13-3 with Kerry Collins at QB is bound to come off of cloud 9...but to the tune of 0-6 is very surprising. Injuries in their secondary have killed them, and Fisher stuck with Collins too long because of his lack of trust in Vince Young (They cut Patrick Ramsey on October 4th to make room for more CBs).

DynamiteRave 10-20-2009 11:02 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie;612658]I think Tennessee's downfall is more surprising. A team that went 13-3 with Kerry Collins at QB is bound to come off of cloud 9...but to the tune of 0-6 is very surprising. Injuries in their secondary have killed them, and Fisher stuck with Collins too long because of his lack of trust in Vince Young (They cut Patrick Ramsey on October 4th to make room for more CBs).[/quote]

You mean we can pick up Ramsey and start where we left off a few years ago? Glory, glory hallelujah! Why haven't we dumped Woodson and got our real QB back yet?! :smashfrea

SmootSmack 10-20-2009 11:06 AM

[quote=BDBohnzie;612658]I think Tennessee's downfall is more surprising. A team that went 13-3 with Kerry Collins at QB is bound to come off of cloud 9...but to the tune of 0-6 is very surprising. Injuries in their secondary have killed them, and Fisher stuck with Collins too long because of his lack of trust in Vince Young (They cut Patrick Ramsey on October 4th to make room for more CBs).[/quote]

Did you hear Bud Adams yesterday? Basically gave a "strong suggestion" that Fisher better start playing Vince Young

Lotus 10-20-2009 11:11 AM

^Yeah, I heard that. Adams is sounding Snyderish these days.

I am surprised by the Broncos but am really surprised by the Titans. Fisher may not be a world beater but he has always managed to put competitive teams on the field, regardless of personnel. I thought that the Titans would be much better.

SmootSmack 10-20-2009 11:18 AM

Adams is also pushing 90 I believe, so maybe he's getting a little antsy

MTK 10-20-2009 11:26 AM

Denver hands down for me. That whole city was ready to run McDaniels out of town before even coaching a single game and really who could blame them. I thought they would be lucky to win 6 games all year, now they are one of the powerhouses of the AFC.

I didn't see the Titans starting 0-6 but at the same time it's not as surprising as the Broncos 6-0 start.

irish 10-20-2009 12:04 PM

I think Denver for the reason Matty says and for the whole off season QB controversy. They looked like a disaster and I didnt see them doing much this year and now it looks like they could clinch the division by Halloween. Amazing.

Ruhskins 10-20-2009 12:07 PM

[quote=hail_2_da_skins;612643]Kyle Orton was the last starting quarterback taken in our Fantasy Football draft. I ended up taking him, thinking I wasted a pick. Everyone in our league thought he was damaged goods after being in Chicago. It's amazing what a new setting and scheme can change the fortunes of a player. Look at Cedric Benson, he left Chicago a bum and is blossoming in Cincinnati. What does that say about Chicago's offense. Obviously they were not getting the most out of their talent. I think that's happening in Washington. The Skins are going to give up on Jason Campbell and he will be a good player elsewhere.[/quote]

[quote=SFREDSKIN;612652]If you guys noticed, the Broncos signed a lot of reasonable priced FA's, made some nice trades, drafted well and they are producing, which attributes to the teams Success. [B]Moral of the story, they didn't spend almost $200 Million on 3 players.[/B][/quote]

[quote=DynamiteRave;612659]You mean we can pick up Ramsey and start where we left off a few years ago? Glory, glory hallelujah! Why haven't we dumped Woodson and got our real QB back yet?! :smashfrea[/quote]

So much for going away from Redskins talk :doh:

jdlea 10-20-2009 12:09 PM

I'd have to go with Tennessee. Granted, I didn't think the Broncos would be very good, but I thought the Titans would be a team competing for a playoff spot again. Now, their season is pretty much over and Fisher may lose his job. Bigger surprise there for sure.

Dirtbag59 10-20-2009 12:16 PM

They're close but no way in hell did I expect the Bronco's to be 6-0 with a top ranked defense and Kyle Orton throwing the ball around with a 90+ QB rating.

Titans, bastards are trying to steal our QB for the draft.

Also while we're at it what are the chances the following young guys win a Super Bowl:

Matt Ryan

Adrian Peterson

Calvin Johnson

Josh McDaniels

Jay Cutler

Joe Flacco

Mark Sanchez

Beemnseven 10-20-2009 12:27 PM

[quote=warpaint;612636]I will say the play of K.Orten and how Denver is playing as a whole. That does not look like the guy from Chicago.[/quote]

You're right -- and here's the reason: Orton languished in Chicago because Lovie Smith is a defensive guy. Translation? Defensive minded head coach means boring, predictable, timid offense. McDaniels comes from the offensive side of the game, so Orton can now finally play offense the way it was meant to be played.

12thMan 10-20-2009 01:12 PM

Tennessee's implosion doesn't completely surprise me. Unless you're the New England Patriots, it's extremely difficult to come back the following season and compete at a very high level. Winning games in bunches usually occur in a small window in the NFL. It's usually the downward spiral that lasts the longest.

In Denver's case I think they got hot early and are just playing with a ton of confidence right now. But I could totally see them folding early in the playoffs.

That being said, my surprise early on has clearly been Brett Favre. Teams have to account for more than just Adrian Peterson now. I knew he had some gas left in the tank, but my god. He's on his way to the Pro Bowl again and the Vikes rise and fall with his performance this year. If they can lock up home field advantage, I think they'll even take the Saints.

GTripp0012 10-20-2009 01:16 PM

The Broncos success is more surprising. A defensive rebound would have been one thing, but they've gone from awful to great in one offseason.

Take notes, Redskins offense.

GTripp0012 10-20-2009 01:19 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;612661]Did you hear Bud Adams yesterday? Basically gave a "strong suggestion" that Fisher better start playing Vince Young[/quote]Isn't it painfully obvious that Vince Young isn't an NFL competent passer though? The Titans would be better off seeing what the heck Patrick Ramsey has learned in the last four seasons. He has to be the best player on that roster at that postion, more or less by default.

GTripp0012 10-20-2009 01:21 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;612658]I think Tennessee's downfall is more surprising. A team that went 13-3 with Kerry Collins at QB is bound to come off of cloud 9...but to the tune of 0-6 is very surprising. Injuries in their secondary have killed them, and Fisher stuck with Collins too long because of his lack of trust in Vince Young [B](They cut Patrick Ramsey on October 4th to make room for more CBs)[/B].[/quote]Ah. Never heard that. Did they replace him on the roster with anyone?

SC Skins Fan 10-20-2009 01:31 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;612752]The Broncos success is more surprising. A defensive rebound would have been one thing, but they've gone from awful to great in one offseason.

Take notes, Redskins offense.[/quote]

Yeah, the defense is the real key to their turnaround. Kyle Orton is getting a lot of credit, but if you actually watch the games he is the same quarterback he has always been. Lacking any physical gifts (i.e. arm strength), often lacking in the nuances of the position, and not particularly accurate with his throws. Brandon Marshall has bailed him out more than a few times this year. The offensive system and Brandon Marshall's talent are really making him look like a much better player if you only look at the statistics. He will likely end up with a comparable year to Matt Cassel in 2008. But neither Cassel or Orton is a particularly talented player.

The rapid decline in Eddie Royal's production has everything to do with the change from Cutler to Orton and very little to do with Eddie Royal. Granted, I did not finish watching the game last night, but I just don't see how you (general you, not you GTripp) can rave about Orton if you have actually sat down and watched the Denver games this season. He's just not impressive.

But credit McDaniel for being able to implement a successful system and for identifying an adequate quarterback who could run that system. As you say, though, the bigger credit should go to Mike Nolan.

GTripp0012 10-20-2009 01:37 PM

[quote=SC Skins Fan;612767]Yeah, the defense is the real key to their turnaround. Kyle Orton is getting a lot of credit, but if you actually watch the games he is the same quarterback he has always been. Lacking any physical gifts (i.e. arm strength), often lacking in the nuances of the position, and not particularly accurate with his throws. Brandon Marshall has bailed him out more than a few times this year. The offensive system and Brandon Marshall's talent are really making him look like a much better player if you only look at the statistics. He will likely end up with a comparable year to Matt Cassel in 2008. But neither Cassel or Orton is a particularly talented player.

The rapid decline in Eddie Royal's production has everything to do with the change from Cutler to Orton and very little to do with Eddie Royal. Granted, I did not finish watching the game last night, but I just don't see how you (general you, not you GTripp) can rave about Orton if you have actually sat down and watched the Denver games this season. He's just not impressive.

But credit McDaniel for being able to implement a successful system and for identifying an adequate quarterback who could run that system. As you say, though, the bigger credit should go to Mike Nolan.[/quote]Orton also has major ball holding problems, which behind a line that good is inexcusable. Cutler, for all of his faults, was a lightning-quick decision maker (if not a good one).

Marshall's leap from talented underachiever to legitimate number one receiver is probably the biggest reason for their offensive improvement from last year. Cutler targeted Marshall more than 10 times per game last year, and wasted way too many plays in doing so. He's (Marshall( grown a lot as a player (but not as a person) in the past year.

I'm glad they are getting Scheffler involved again. He's the AFC's version of Cooley, but was taking a serious backseat to Daniel Graham in the first four games.

skinsfaninok 10-20-2009 02:25 PM

Denver is the perfect example of why we can't predict any team to be bad. Most ppl picked them to win 4 games! Even Denver fans did, this Shows us that with a new coach and qb ( next year) even we could turn this horrible lost season around next year. Kudos for mcdaniels and the broncos for showing all the experts wrong!

GMScud 10-20-2009 02:26 PM

I'm going with Denver for sure. Even though Tennessee looked solid last year, I don't think they were as good as their record (if that's possible). Their offense is so one-dimensional, and their defensive collapse is a real testament to how great Jim Schwartz is (and to a lesser extent Albert Haynesworth).

During the offseason I thought Josh McDaniels was in way over his head, and was going to be a total trainwreck. Fast forward to week 6... wow. He looks like a man in complete control of his team, and his special teams and defensive coaches have done a phenomenal job too (good for Mike Nolan).

Full disclosure- I was one of the many people around here who laughed when McDaniels made the Cutler trade with Chicago and not the Skins because he wanted Orton over Campbell. Ha. Boy do I feel dumb. Orton looks like a pro-bowler.

BDBohnzie 10-20-2009 02:55 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;612758]Ah. Never heard that. Did they replace him on the roster with anyone?[/quote]
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~jdbohn79/uploads/titans-transactions-Oct09.png[/img]
Looks like they added a CB from the PS to fill Ramsey's slot (On another note, it's nice to see Lance Ball have steady work)

Paintrain 10-20-2009 03:04 PM

I certainly didn't expect the Titans to be 0-6 at this point. They were too good to not have come across a win in a month and a half, or at least I thought.

The Broncos were slaughtered by the media in the offseason but in reality, they were built like a good team should be. One of the top 5 OL in the league, strong at LB and decent on the perimeters of the DL. Good scheme fits at the WR position and an effective game managing QB. Amazing what a quality OL can do for a QB like Orton, isn't it?

dblanch66 10-20-2009 05:27 PM

Titans 0-6 is the bigger surprise. 59-0 is an absolute drubbing that I thought the Titans D would never give up in a million years...especially at the beginning of the season. Josh McDaniels comes from the Belichick coaching tree and I had a feeling he might be the real deal. Of course the incredible luck of the Stokely catch against the Bungles helped but good teams usually have lucky bounces go their way. After Tennessee's opening loss to Pittsburgh (where they looked decent), losses to the Jags, Jets, Colts, Texans and Pats does surprise me. Especially since the Jags suck almost as much as the Redskins.

Ruhskins 10-20-2009 05:38 PM

[quote=dblanch66;612943]Titans 0-6 is the bigger surprise. 59-0 is an absolute drubbing that I thought the Titans D would never give up in a million years...especially at the beginning of the season. [B] Josh McDaniels comes from the Belichick coaching tree[/B] and I had a feeling he might be the real deal. Of course the incredible luck of the Stokely catch against the Bungles helped but good teams usually have lucky bounces go their way. After Tennessee's opening loss to Pittsburgh (where they looked decent), losses to the Jags, Jets, Colts, Texans and Pats does surprise me. Especially since the Jags suck almost as much as the Redskins.[/quote]

Well I think this is the reason why it is surprising that McD is doing so well, other coaches from Darth Hoody's tree have not fared well (Mangini, Crennel)

tryfuhl 10-20-2009 05:54 PM

Broncos, team looked like it was in shambles trading its star QB, issues with a star WR, young coach being questioned, etc

Ruhskins 10-20-2009 06:03 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;612967]Broncos, team looked like it was in shambles trading its star QB, issues with a star WR, young coach being questioned, etc[/quote]

My buddy who's a Broncos fan was going f'ing insane during the offseason.

budw38 10-20-2009 06:53 PM

2009 Broncos = 1996 redskins . Nice start , not sold on them .... yet . Titans , surprised that a Fisher coached team is this bad . Bengals look much improved and looks like our Pal Norval could be in jeopordy of losing his team ,,,,, and job at years end .

djnemo65 10-20-2009 08:28 PM

I thought the Broncos were going to be a train wreck. They're not just 6-0, they've beaten some of the best teams in the league. I expected the Titans to drop off but man, I didn't think they'd be losing 59-0 a year after going 13-3. Sad because I root for them.

Monkeydad 10-21-2009 11:05 AM

Definitely the Broncos for me. I had them pegged for about 4-5 wins all season.

Their D has really stepped up and become the league's best after being close to the worst last season.

Tennessee...I knew they'd be weaker from losing Haynesworth and Collins is getting older with no talent to throw to. I didn't think they would be THIS bad, but I knew they'd struggle.

patsfan12 10-21-2009 11:49 AM

[quote=Buster;613273]Definitely the Broncos for me. I had them pegged for about 4-5 wins all season.

Their D has really stepped up and become the league's best after being close to the worst last season.

Tennessee...I knew they'd be weaker from losing Haynesworth and Collins is getting older with no talent to throw to. I didn't think they would be THIS bad, but I knew they'd struggle.[/quote]

....but McDaniels is the coach.. I expect nothing less from the Bellicheck protege haha

jsarno 10-21-2009 03:22 PM

To be honest, I had denver at 4 or 5 wins MAX, and had Tenn at maybe 8 wins, so for me it's Denver. It's A LOT harder to be 6-0 than it is 0-6...and we're talking about a team that lost it's franchise qb and signed a sub par by everyone's standards qb...had it's #1 wr bitching and moaning and kicking footballs in practice, a high strung OC turned rookie HC, a defense that swiss cheese would be proud of...and they are 6-0. So to me, this is a no brainer, it's Denver is the biggest shocker, not only this year, but in recent memory.
This should show everyone that you don't need 2-4 YEARS to learn an offense if you're good and smart enough.

jsarno 10-21-2009 03:25 PM

[quote=patsfan12;613317]....but McDaniels is the coach.. I expect nothing less from the Bellicheck protege haha[/quote]

Like Charlie Weiss? How bout Romeo Cremel? How about the Mangenius? Face it, once Belicheat let's them out of his nest, they flop to the ground. McDaniels is the exception at this point. (keep in mind that Mangini started off strong at one point too, now he's a bust...although I don't see McDaniels having that problem.)

Monkeydad 10-21-2009 03:42 PM

[quote=jsarno;613484]Like Charlie Weiss? How bout Romeo Cremel? How about the Mangenius? Face it, once Belicheat let's them out of his nest, they flop to the ground. McDaniels is the exception at this point. (keep in mind that Mangini started off strong at one point too, now he's a bust...although I don't see McDaniels having that problem.)[/quote]

Belicheat has a nice resume there. :goodjob:

DBUCHANON101 10-24-2009 02:51 AM

So was McDaniels a severe miss by our FO for HC??

tryfuhl 10-31-2009 01:12 PM

Re: XXXvideos

[quote=SFREDSKIN;618979]Must be a Cowboys fan.[/quote]
auto-poster