Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021 (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64797)

Warthog 01-11-2021 11:49 AM

WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Their is nothing more important than who the WFT chooses for it QB contest in 2021.

One thing is CERTAIN:

To draft or obtain a top QB Free Agent this offseason, this team will have to expend SERIOUS draft capital. We will need to TRADE UP in the DRAFT to get an elite QB. There is no other low-hanging fruit, EXCEPT TAYLOR HEINICKE.

1. What QB should we go for in the off season?
2. How much draft capital must we spend to get it ?

We’re NOT going to get STAFFORD or WATSON without a trade. We’re NOT going to get an elite QB in the draft without trading UP.

3. What should we do with Heinicke, Allen and Smith?

The QB winners in the playoffs have either:

EXCELLENT MOBILITY. and/or
GREAT PASSER.

That’s what we need!

Let’s hear what you have to say!

MY DREAM - Go ALL-IN for STAFFORD or WATSON. Offer our 1st round pick this year and next year’s 2nd and a couple of next years picks.

Let Smith retire, he’s way too expensive as a backup QB. Pay HEINICKE whatever it takes to keep him and let him compete as the starter OR the backup. Allen can compete for the third QB spot.

THIS franchise has sucked for 2 decades because we haven’t had a franchise QB. Time to fix that and get a premiere QB THIS offseason.

AnonEmouse 01-11-2021 12:56 PM

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Honestly, given our spot in the draft I agree. While they would be big trades, getting someone with Stafford's pedigree would be an immediate upgrade to contender, but more so Watson. Give either a team with an established D and building more weapons around them will make us competitive from the get go. Unless we get Brady or Wilson type lucky in the lower rounds of the draft, anyone we pick up is going to be a development project so we'll need an at least capable vet next season as a minimum. Heinicke is still something of an unknown, but neither Allen or Smith are that guy.

I'd offer the Texans our next 2 ones, probably a 3 & 4 from '22 and someone like Matty I to finish the deal. If the Texans don't want to know (or want something daft like 3 x 1's plus some 2's), then I'd go with a lesser offer to Detroit. Stafford with maybe a reworked 5 year deal would give us a nice window to compete immediately.

But for me it all hangs on who can Ron deal with. I think he actually did well with Newton in Carolina, who I never saw as a great passer, with a run heavy out of the pocket passing offense. Says to me, Watson will be more his kind of guy than Stafford.

Chico23231 01-11-2021 01:27 PM

First, everyone needs to give an opinion with Alex Smith.

Obvious to me he’s done. He can’t be depended on simply because of his health. It’s a great story and I’d like to see him in the org/staff, but we need to move on and get some cap relief.

Heineken should be brought back, he performed better than at QB Saturday night than anyone else on the roster all year. His mobility and knowledge of system along with his game and half performance earns him a return in a backup capacity.

After these 2 issues are put to bed, I think you review veteran options at QB and you cast the net far and wide to weight options...call Andrew Luck, y not? Call Houston about Watson, why the fuck not? Call Detroit about Stafford, absolutely!

Call Cam and tell him we aren’t interested, yup, for sure. I’ll list what I don’t want, Cam..Alex...Trubisky...mariota...Derek Carr...

Next I think you then look at the QB class coming out and see if BPA is a QB at 19. Possibly someone you like later in the draft? I won’t be opposed to grab at draft QB who could sit and learn.

I think a fall back option is Kyle Allen. Coming off an injury. I don’t know how much interest he will garner, but I think he will be in the mix someway.

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 01:40 PM

Alex Smith is done

Call Detroit asap on Stafford, if they say no, call ATL for Matt Ryan and if they say no then you have to be realistic on Free Agent options.

Mariota is the top FA available

Dak won't be going anywhere

WATSON IS A PIPE DREAM

Fitzmagic is 40.

I'd love to draft Wilson or Lance at 19 but that's prob a dream as well.

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 01:41 PM

Oh and FUCK NO to Cam Newton, he's washed

Chico23231 01-11-2021 01:45 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273694]Alex Smith is done

Call Detroit asap on Stafford, if they say no, call ATL for Matt Ryan and if they say no then you have to be realistic on Free Agent options.

Mariota is the top FA available

Dak won't be going anywhere

WATSON IS A PIPE DREAM

Fitzmagic is 40.

I'd love to draft Wilson or Lance at 19 but that's prob a dream as well.[/quote]

Honestly, I think Kyle Allen/Heinicke could perform as well as Mariota at a much lower number. While Fitz is great, i don’t think he is a fit here. Ron wants someone more mobile.

MTK 01-11-2021 01:50 PM

I really think Alex Smith retires. He beat the odds just stepping back on the field. Going 5-1 as our starter was simply amazing. Mission accomplished. He's got nothing left to prove and he can walk away (no pun intended) from the game on his own terms now.

I think this quote from him shows exactly which way he's leaning in terms of retiring...

"To me it was more about the attempt and the journey than the outcome. More about that mindset of putting myself out there and really attempting this."

Chief X_Phackter 01-11-2021 01:51 PM

[quote] First, everyone needs to give an opinion with Alex Smith.

Obvious to me he’s done. He can’t be depended on simply because of his health. It’s a great story and I’d like to see him in the org/staff, but we need to move on and get some cap relief.

Heineken should be brought back, he performed better than at QB Saturday night than anyone else on the roster all year. His mobility and knowledge of system along with his game and half performance earns him a return in a backup capacity.

After these 2 issues are put to bed, I think you review veteran options at QB and you cast the net far and wide to weight options...call Andrew Luck, y not? Call Houston about Watson, why the fuck not? Call Detroit about Stafford, absolutely!

Call Cam and tell him we aren’t interested, yup, for sure. I’ll list what I don’t want, Cam..Alex...Trubisky...mariota...Derek Carr…

Next I think you then look at the QB class coming out and see if BPA is a QB at 19. Possibly someone you like later in the draft? I won’t be opposed to grab at draft QB who could sit and learn.

I think a fall back option is Kyle Allen. Coming off an injury. I don’t know how much interest he will garner, but I think he will be in the mix someway. [/quote]

This is pretty much how I feel. Alex is done. Bring back Heinicke. I'm not interested in bringing back Kyle Allen. Bring in a Veteran starting caliber QB for the right price, and draft a QB.

NO CAM.

Ruhskins 01-11-2021 03:36 PM

I wonder if a 2nd and a 3rd would be enough to get Stafford?

MTK 01-11-2021 03:40 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1273734]I wonder if a 2nd and a 3rd would be enough to get Stafford?[/quote]

Probably not with multiple teams likely to be interested

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 03:49 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1273696]Honestly, I think Kyle Allen/Heinicke could perform as well as Mariota at a much lower number. While Fitz is great, i don’t think he is a fit here. Ron wants someone more mobile.[/quote]

Another name to look out for is Derek Carr if he's released, but I'd rather go elsewhere

AnonEmouse 01-11-2021 06:34 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273694]
Fitzmagic is 40. [/quote]

Nope, he just turned 38. I admit he's not my first choice, but he's an FA that can come in and start, while offering the ability to win now. But he'd be a bridge to a promising rookie low round pick (a la Cousins) or a guy we go after in '22.

SkinzWin 01-11-2021 07:17 PM

Smith - Thank you for your service, your front office position awaits.
Watson - Our front office mines gems, bet the farm!
Stafford - Hell yes.
Dak - Ain’t hitting the market but I’d hit it if he did.
Heinicke - Our big time FA strike out ace in the hole future starter.
MariNOta - Self explanatory.
Ryan - 💦⬆️
Fitzmagic - I’d hit it for the right price.
Derek Carr - Serviceable stop gap paired with a drafted rookie.
Cam NOPEton - Fuhgettaboutit.

SkinzWin 01-11-2021 07:18 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1273734]I wonder if a 2nd and a 3rd would be enough to get Stafford?[/quote]

No way in hell.

Chico23231 01-11-2021 08:33 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273744]Another name to look out for is Derek Carr if he's released, but I'd rather go elsewhere[/quote]

I just think Kyle Allen/henike combo would be just as effective

rocnrik 01-11-2021 09:21 PM

How is Jones looking?

jamf 01-11-2021 09:31 PM

I would like to avoid another short term, overpriced vet QB.
Let Heinike/Allen/Rookie QB battle it out.
There are too many holes to fill on this team to overpay a QB.

MissouriSkin 01-11-2021 09:40 PM

[quote=rocnrik;1273798]How is Jones looking?[/quote]

I’m a fan. He’s looking pretty good to me.

rome108 01-11-2021 09:43 PM

[quote=jamf;1273799]I would like to avoid another short term, overpriced vet QB.
There are too many holes to fill on this team to overpay a QB.[/quote]

No rookie QB needed. We already have our future SB winning QB on the roster. Check out Steve Montez film from his days at Colorado, super talented.

In the meantime, I am happy with Heinike/Allen combo.

Chico23231 01-11-2021 09:47 PM

Justin Field looks like trash. I don’t want us to touch this guy

Mac Jones looks decent

Alabama RB Harris looks great. devonta Smith should be the second player taken in the draft

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 10:14 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1273801]I’m a fan. He’s looking pretty good to me.[/quote]

QB friendly scheme, a ton of speed outs and screens

Chico23231 01-11-2021 10:20 PM

Kinda hope we don’t take a first round qb this year. Move back pick up more picks or move the first for Stafford

SFREDSKIN 01-11-2021 10:22 PM

Mac Jones stock will go up after this game, he’ll probably leapfrog Lance. In 2022 we have Allen, Payne, Logan Thomas and Settle’s contracts due, that’s why I oppose signing expensive free agents.

[url]https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/washington-football-team/[/url]

MissouriSkin 01-11-2021 10:29 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273805]QB friendly scheme, a ton of speed outs and screens[/quote]

And......

SFREDSKIN 01-11-2021 10:37 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1273804]Justin Field looks like trash. I don’t want us to touch this guy

Mac Jones looks decent

Alabama RB Harris looks great. devonta Smith should be the second player taken in the draft[/quote]

Zach Wilson.

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 10:40 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1273810]And......[/quote]

that wont work in the league but I do think he's a solid option at 19 if they want

SFREDSKIN 01-11-2021 10:42 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273813]that wont work in the league but I do think he's a solid option at 19 if they want[/quote]

I don't think he'll be there at 19, I think Trey Lance gets leapfrogged.

skinsfaninok 01-11-2021 10:51 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1273815]I don't think he'll be there at 19, I think Trey Lance gets leapfrogged.[/quote]

I hope so, I'd take Lance all day

SFREDSKIN 01-11-2021 11:26 PM

An average QB in college championship game doesn’t go 36-44 for 464 yards and 5 TD’s 0 Int’s. I know he’s got weapons but still needs to play against a pretty aggressive defense. After this game, I want that guy.

AnonEmouse 01-12-2021 06:48 AM

I think the staff have 3 keys to decide how they approach the draft, FA and any trade option, and in this order:

1) How likely are we to have a desirable QB available at 19 without any trading up?
2) What capability do we have to trade up without giving up too much capitol?
3) If we can't get a QB at 19 (and don't see starter material in a lower pick), who is available via FA or trade that could start for at least 2 years while we look at future drafts for a long term successor?

Way I see it there are 6 teams above us that would probably take a good QB if available at their slot (I discount Jax as it's probably nailed on they take Lawrence) but I'm not sure I see any of them desperate enough to trade any further up. I'd say the Bears might trade up if they see an opportunity to get their guy. To me that says it's highly unlikely that any of the top 3 prospects are available at 19, maybe even top 4 are gone, so it's highly likely that the answer to 1 is very unlikely.

While we haven't thrown away picks recently so have some capitol to trade up, to me we'd need to be trading with maybe the Jets (very expensive) Falcons (not much cheaper) or 49ers to get a good prospect with their pick. I believe that even with an above average QB we could be competing for the East crown for 2-3 years, so our future draft position is likely to be mid round. We'd have to therefore give up more picks than a team like the Panthers to move up. And we really don't want a RG3 Mk2 trade to happen. I therefore think our capability to trade up is limited (without giving away too much).

FA is limited. I only see Fitz as a possible successful 2 year starter, assuming Heinicke isn't cut out for QB1. The other options don't hold out much promise as they haven't shown any real success or are basically too old/immobile. Which would leave us with a trade, but I only see a feasible trade being Stafford or Ryan at this point and neither will come cheap (I too would love Watson but I'd say its a miracle if we could get him for much less than an entire draft worth of picks). So if we trade for either of them, we could be trading away our picks that would fetch a future franchise QB in '21 or '22.

I can't help thinking that without a massive (and dumb?) trade, we will be best served bringing in an FA to compete with Heinicke for the #1 slot this camp, then try to get a diamond in the rough development project in lower rounds, or target a guy in the 22 draft. I believe if he's still here, Smith may well be able to get our man in round 2 or 3 this year without selling off our draft.

MissouriSkin 01-12-2021 07:10 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1273813]that wont work in the league but I do think he's a solid option at 19 if they want[/quote]

Sorry but if you don’t like him because of a “QB friendly scheme and good receivers” you could say the same about Trevor Lawrence...and Jones plays against better teams while Lawrence runs up numbers against the ACC....🤷*♂️

punch it in 01-12-2021 07:51 AM

My gut tells me Mac is going to be meh in the NFL.

punch it in 01-12-2021 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=skinsfaninok;1273817]I hope so, I'd take Lance all day[/QUOTE]

Me too.

punch it in 01-12-2021 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=MissouriSkin;1273830]Sorry but if you don’t like him because of a “QB friendly scheme and good receivers” you could say the same about Trevor Lawrence...and Jones plays against better teams while Lawrence runs up numbers against the ACC....[emoji1745]*[emoji3603][/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Now we will wager on who turns out to be a better NFL quarterback. I got Trevor. You got Mac.

davy 01-12-2021 08:32 AM

[quote=jamf;1273799]I would like to avoid another short term, overpriced vet QB.

Wise words, people seem to think we are on the verge of a Super Bowl run.

Just to remind everyone, we finished 7-9 this year and that flattered us greatly with 6 of our 7 wins coming against teams who won 6 or fewer games and the other against a slumping Steelers team who won 1 of their last 5.

Let's just have a sensible low-key offseason please. :)

AnonEmouse 01-12-2021 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=davy;1273835]Wise words, people seem to think we are on the verge of a Super Bowl run.

Just to remind everyone, we finished 7-9 this year and that flattered us greatly with 6 of our 7 wins coming against teams who won 6 or fewer games and the other against a slumping Steelers team who won 1 of their last 5.

Let's just have a sensible low-key offseason please. :)[/QUOTE]

No we're not on the verge of a SB run. But we're a few key pieces away from it. If we bolster the QB, WR and TE positions (and OL if possible) we'll have a competitive O. If we do the same for the LB and CB positions (and stick with both S's that finished the season as starters) then we could have a dominant D for at least 2-3 years. That would give us the chance to go deep into the playoffs during this window. I agree don't go silly in FA or trades that bankrupt us, but likewise don't underestimate what a few key additions could lead us to.

Ruhskins 01-12-2021 09:03 AM

We have a top 5 defense and legit weapons on the offensive side of the ball (Terry, Gibson, and Logan). I don't want to waste next season seeing if Heinecke/Allen or a Rookie QB work out.

Look at what Rivers did for Indy. We have enough young talent on this team to be able to fill needs through both FA and the draft. But we can't gamble our future on unknown QB play.

MTK 01-12-2021 09:08 AM

The clock is ticking with keeping the defensive line together on their rookie deals. With our cap room next year there's no way we have a quiet offseason. A legit QB and some more playmakers definitely puts us into contender status in the NFC.

Chico23231 01-12-2021 09:12 AM

Full court press on Matt Stafford...If not, Matt Ryan

Derek Carr, Fitz would be my fallback

Dak, Watson...just not happening folks.

I would be strongest opposed to bringing in Cam. Love the guy, but don’t want him here

rocnrik 01-12-2021 09:24 AM

Taylor or Kyle could be starter .. Alex should retire ( not mobile enough) .. so do we bring in low cost Vet as insurance( Fitz type) , higher profile vet that will take a trade to pull off( Stafford, Ryan) , trade up to land high profile Rookie.. these are the options .. to me it all depends on if the coaching staff really believe in Taylor and Kyle .. I like the idea of using top picks on other needs .. bring in Fitz and let’s see what we got , we are more than a QB away from a super bowl contender and need other help anyways .. we can always make a big ash splash next year with a trade etc ..