Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WR Andre Roberts has agreed to deal with Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=56774)

MTK 03-11-2014 10:39 AM

WR Andre Roberts has agreed to deal with Redskins

Per several sources on Twitter, will be official at 4pm

mredskins 03-11-2014 10:41 AM

Re: WR Andre Roberts has agreed to deal with Redskins

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-5PBUiMY0]Andre Roberts WR Highlights - YouTube[/url]

skinsfan69 03-11-2014 10:45 AM

Yawn....I can't get excited about a guy that caught 43 balls on a pass first team. If my math is correct that's about 2 and half catches a game when he should be drawing single coverage. We should already have a guy on the team that we can get this same production from.

CRedskinsRule 03-11-2014 10:49 AM

I heard him on Sirius the other day, and listening to the hosts and him talk my thoughts were he would be a great addition as Moss' successor. A slot guy, can go outside if needed. Not a number 1, but a real solid receiver. That said, I haven't seen him play, but sight unseen I give a plus 1 to this signing.

mredskins 03-11-2014 10:52 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1062417]Yawn....I can't get excited about a guy that caught 43 balls on a pass first team. If my math is correct that's about 2 and half catches a game when he should be drawing single coverage. We should already have a guy on the team that we can get this same production from.[/quote]

Not building a Fantsay Team here. We need roll players.

You seem to be bringing the Debbie Downs this offseason; so far you are doing a great job.

Paintrain 03-11-2014 10:54 AM

Upgrade in the slot from Moss. Nice signing at decent money.

JoeRedskin 03-11-2014 10:56 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1062417]Yawn....I can't get excited about a guy that caught 43 balls on a pass first team. If my math is correct that's about 2 and half catches a game when he should be drawing single coverage. We should already have a guy on the team that we can get this same production from.[/quote]

Well, he had Fitz (82 receptions/954 yards) and Michael Floyd (62/1054) ahead of him with C. Palmer throwing the ball - FLoyd would be some teams No. 1. The prior year, when the Cards went through a series of HORRIBLE QB's, Roberts had (64/759). He's a solid No. 2.

Just like folks said Garcon wasn't a true No.1, I think the same could be said of Roberts as a No.2. Garcon would be a No.1 on a lot of teams, but he also would be the No. 2 guy on several teams. I think the same could be said of Roberts in the No. 2 slot - start there for lots of teams, be the No. 3 on several teams. I hope he pans out for us as well as Garcon has.

KI Skins Fan 03-11-2014 10:58 AM

No message.

No message.

GTripp0012 03-11-2014 10:58 AM

Roberts at this price will be a much stronger addition a year from now when Garcon is a cap casualty. Assuming the Redskins aren't done signing receivers (spoiler: they aren't), his reps are going to be tough to come by this year.

Lotus 03-11-2014 10:58 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1062417]Yawn....I can't get excited about a guy that caught 43 balls on a pass first team. If my math is correct that's about 2 and half catches a game when he should be drawing single coverage. [B]We should already have a guy on the team that we can get this same production from.[/B][/quote]

Who do we have?

1) Old Man Moss - maybe the same production as Roberts, but Roberts is in his prime whereas Moss is on the decline
2) Hankerson - when healthy - and when not dropping balls
3) Robinson - runs one route and then drops the ball

IMO Roberts is an excellent addition to the slot. He's not expected to be a #1.

GTripp0012 03-11-2014 10:59 AM

[quote=KI Skins Fan;1062435]Is there [U]anything[/U] the Redskins could do that you could be happy about? I don't think you'll be happy until Dan Snyder appoints you as GM![/quote]Cool your jets, you aren't the opinion police here.

talisin 03-11-2014 11:00 AM

I think this is a great singing for the money and what he can bring. Havent seen anyone mentioned it yet today, but in College he was an elite PR/KR. That is another angle for signing him I hope, he can step in and try it out for us. Havent seen him do it a ton in ARI, but check him out on youtube from college.

Andre Roberts (WR, The Citadel) Punt Return Highlights '08 - '09 - YouTube

Search him.

Meks 03-11-2014 11:02 AM

Fast. Solid hands. Good pick up for us.

Chico23231 03-11-2014 11:03 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1062437]Roberts at this price will be a much stronger addition a year from now when Garcon is a cap casualty. Assuming the Redskins aren't done signing receivers (spoiler: they aren't), his reps are going to be tough to come by this year.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw couple reports stating Roberts goes opposite Garcon, but thats not the case. Roberts goes into the slot, but think we go really big WR on the outside.

Roberts isnt going to be a 5 yards and out in the slot, Gruden will send the slot downfield a good amount, opens Garcon up underneath.

Evilgrin 03-11-2014 11:05 AM

It's a stretch to say he is a solid #2. He is versatile, probably an upgrade over Moss at his current age and production. He also will do some kick returning for us. I think the contract will be very reasonable, and he fills alot of needs for us. I'd expect some catches in the flat for him also.

Schneed10 03-11-2014 11:05 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1062432]Well, he had Fitz (82 receptions/954 yards) and Michael Floyd (62/1054) ahead of him with C. Palmer throwing the ball - FLoyd would be some teams No. 1. The prior year, when the Cards went through a series of HORRIBLE QB's, Roberts had (64/759). He's a solid No. 2.

Just like folks said Garcon wasn't a true No.1, I think the same could be said of Roberts as a No.2. Garcon would be a No.1 on a lot of teams, but he also would be the No. 2 guy on several teams. I think the same could be said of Roberts in the No. 2 slot - start there for lots of teams, be the No. 3 on several teams. I hope he pans out for us as well as Garcon has.[/quote]

Some actual football thinking rather that simply complaining about a guy's stats, refreshing!

You have to consider the situation Roberts was in as JR does here. He was behind one stud WR in Larry Fitz and a strong #2 in Floyd. His QB slung it around a lot but threw 22 INTs. That's a lot of drive-killing opportunities for Roberts' stats to have gone even higher.

I don't think Roberts is nearly as good as Pierre - Pierre put up 1000 yards with Curtis Painter as the QB. That says it all. But Roberts contributed nicely as a #3 - not because he's a #3 talent but because the Cards had better WRs ahead of him.

Roberts will be used in motion with us and out of the slot. He has 4.3 - 4.4 speed, so he's an upgrade over what Moss was giving us the last few years. Plus he gives us an actual option as a returner. Quality signing.

Anybody know the $ terms?

CRedskinsRule 03-11-2014 11:06 AM

[quote=mredskins;1062413][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-5PBUiMY0]Andre Roberts WR Highlights - YouTube[/url][/quote]

I hate it. He clearly doesn't have a signature move after a TD. Worst signing ever! [/sarc]

Alvin Walton 03-11-2014 11:07 AM

Will this guy be returning any kicks for us?

GTripp0012 03-11-2014 11:11 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1062444]Yeah, I saw couple reports stating Roberts goes opposite Garcon, but thats not the case. Roberts goes into the slot, but think we go really big WR on the outside.

Roberts isnt going to be a 5 yards and out in the slot, Gruden will send the slot downfield a good amount, opens Garcon up underneath.[/quote]Truth be told, I don't like spending money at all on WR considering how deep the draft is at the position. There will be starters available on day 3.

This is a much better signing than Josh Morgan was two years ago. 33% cheaper, and a chance to be better. And the Redskins were always probably going to do something in free agency, given how bad they were at the position last year.

Jordan Reed is going to be the deep threat in the offense next year.

talisin 03-11-2014 11:11 AM

[quote=Alvin Walton;1062450]Will this guy be returning any kicks for us?[/quote]

I seriously hope so, and dont see why not. I think that was perhaps another motive behind the siging, in College he was an ace return man. Youtube his punt return/Kick return highlights. They are pretty nasty. He is just so fast.

Lotus 03-11-2014 11:15 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1062452][B]Truth be told, I don't like spending money at all on WR considering how deep the draft is at the position. There will be starters available on day 3.[/B]

This is a much better signing than Josh Morgan was two years ago. 33% cheaper, and a chance to be better. And the Redskins were always probably going to do something in free agency, given how bad they were at the position last year.

Jordan Reed is going to be the deep threat in the offense next year.[/quote]

I think we will go WR in the draft and specifically target a deep threat.

GTripp0012 03-11-2014 11:15 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1062447]Some actual football thinking rather that simply complaining about a guy's stats, refreshing!

You have to consider the situation Roberts was in as JR does here. He was behind one stud WR in Larry Fitz and a strong #2 in Floyd. His QB slung it around a lot but threw 22 INTs. That's a lot of drive-killing opportunities for Roberts' stats to have gone even higher.

I don't think Roberts is nearly as good as Pierre - Pierre put up 1000 yards with Curtis Painter as the QB. That says it all. But Roberts contributed nicely as a #3 - not because he's a #3 talent but because the Cards had better WRs ahead of him.

Roberts will be used in motion with us and out of the slot. He has 4.3 - 4.4 speed, so he's an upgrade over what Moss was giving us the last few years. Plus he gives us an actual option as a returner. Quality signing.

Anybody know the $ terms?[/quote]4/16, 8 guaranteed according to JLC.

skinsfan69 03-11-2014 11:17 AM

[quote=mredskins;1062427]Not building a Fantsay Team here. We need roll players.

You seem to be bringing the Debbie Downs this offseason; so far you are doing a great job.[/quote]

I'll get excited when we get some people in here that can block, cover and collapse the pocket. Bringing in a 3rd wr is a need but certainly not the most important one, nor one that's going to win games for us.

GTripp0012 03-11-2014 11:18 AM

[quote=Lotus;1062454]I think we will go WR in the draft and specifically target a deep threat.[/quote]I know. I was just pointing out that investing in anyone in a weak FA WR class is going to lead to some level of buyers remorse. Roberts and the money spent on him are wholly unoffensive, if you ignore that the strategy is probably flawed.

SmootSmack 03-11-2014 11:18 AM

still not a done deal though

Chico23231 03-11-2014 11:21 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1062452]Truth be told, I don't like spending money at all on WR considering how deep the draft is at the position. There will be starters available on day 3.

[B]Jordan Reed is going to be the deep threat in the offense next year[/B].[/quote]

Yeah, gives up multiple options, Roberts and Jordan...its a match up game depending on looks of who goes and when.

When you need a first down, JR will be the guy for sure.

MTK 03-11-2014 11:22 AM

I would guess we're still not done with the WR position. Kenny Britt on the cheap anyone?

GTripp0012 03-11-2014 11:22 AM

Technically, he's still a Cardinal, not a free agent.

KI Skins Fan 03-11-2014 11:38 AM

[quote=Mattyk;1062461]I would guess we're still not done with the WR position. Kenny Britt on the cheap anyone?[/quote]

On the cheap, yes. He has the talent.

On the other hand, if he didn't give a damn in TEN, why would he care here?

mooby 03-11-2014 11:42 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;1062437]Roberts at this price will be a much stronger addition [B]a year from now when Garcon is a cap casualty. [/B] Assuming the Redskins aren't done signing receivers (spoiler: they aren't), his reps are going to be tough to come by this year.[/quote]

Since you can see the future can you tell me when the Redskins are gonna win the SB again?

mooby 03-11-2014 11:43 AM

[quote=Mattyk;1062461]I would guess we're still not done with the WR position. Kenny Britt on the cheap anyone?[/quote]

On the cheeeeap cheap yeah, but I don't care to give good money to a player who has great talent but doesn't want to put the work in to be elite.

EARTHQUAKE2689 03-11-2014 11:50 AM

So the fact that he was the third target means nothing about the 43 catches right?

JoeRedskin 03-11-2014 11:54 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1062478]So the fact that he was the third target [B]with a 33 year old Carson Palmer as his QB[/B] means nothing about the 43 catches right?[/quote]

Fixed it for you.

Chico23231 03-11-2014 11:54 AM

Excited about Roberts, always worry about an Eddie royal situation

JoeRedskin 03-11-2014 11:54 AM

^^ Yup. Agree. Let's get the ink on the paper baby!

skinsfan69 03-11-2014 12:10 PM

No freakin' way. Not even on the cheap. Dude doesn't want to play football and has never had a productive season. Plus he can't stop getting arrested. DC is not the place for a guy like Britt. He needs to go to Green Bay.

mredskins 03-11-2014 12:17 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1062490]No freakin' way. Not even on the cheap. Dude doesn't want to play football and has never had a productive season. Plus he can't stop getting arrested. DC is not the place for a guy like Britt. He needs to go to Green Bay.[/quote]

We need a wambulance over here STAT!

EARTHQUAKE2689 03-11-2014 12:18 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1062481]Fixed it for you.[/quote]

Thanks. #Teamwork

skinsfan69 03-11-2014 12:20 PM

[quote=mredskins;1062491]We need a wambulance over here STAT![/quote]

Just call it like I see it. If we sign him and he gets arrested you'll be the first one complaining!

MTK 03-11-2014 12:26 PM

I wouldn't sign Britt and count on him coming in to be a starter. I would however take a chance on him with a low risk/prove it type of deal and bring him to camp and let him earn a spot.