Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Official Capitals vs Flyers Playoff Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23128)

SmootSmack 04-06-2008 11:06 PM

Official Capitals vs Flyers Playoff Thread

Starting a new thread here to discuss round one of the postseason for the Southeast Champion Washington Capitals

mooby 04-07-2008 08:49 AM

Re: Official Capitals vs Flyers Playoff Thread

I like our chances, it should be a pretty even matchup. I'm curious to see if this team hasn't expended all its' energy just to make it to the playoffs, that if we will make a deep run. I'm also curious to see how Ovie does, if he's got that "playoff" level in him that makes him play better than he did in the regular season. It would be hard to top the way he played in the regular season but it could happen.

ArtMonkDrillz 04-07-2008 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=mooby;437978]I'm also curious to see how Ovie does, if he's got that "playoff" level in him that makes him play better than he did in the regular season. It would be hard to top the way he played in the regular season but it could happen.[/QUOTE]I think he's the type of guy that will step it up even more (if that's possible) in the big games.
Just thinking back to the Ovech-cam game that Comcast did a month or so ago, where they had a camera on him the entire game and he nearly recorded a hat trick, he really shines when he's in the spot light.

skinsfan_nn 04-07-2008 12:11 PM

Ovie captures Art Ross and Maurice "ROCKET" Richard trophies, next MVP.

[url=http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=359439]Washington Capitals - News: Alex Ovechkin Captures Art Ross, Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophies - 04/06/2008[/url]

This should be a really good match up we went .500 in the regular season with philly. They also came on strong at the end though, but no where near as strong as the Caps. I expect the Caps to put them down in a hard fought series.

dmek25 04-07-2008 01:27 PM

flyers baby. with Biron playing lights out. the latter part of the season, philly has been playing some pretty darn good hockey. all they have to do is control #8. sounds pretty easy, huh?

Monkeydad 04-07-2008 02:33 PM

< Flyers fan. :)

GMScud 04-07-2008 02:56 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;437934]Starting a new thread here to discuss round one of the postseason for [B]the Southeast Champion Washington Capitals[/B][/quote]

Man that's got a nice ring to it. Bring on those Flyers. No one wants to see us right now.

Redskins8588 04-07-2008 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=GMScud;438098]Man that's got a nice ring to it. Bring on those Flyers. No one wants to see us right now.[/QUOTE]

I wish the PENS played the caps to start off with just so the caps can make an early exit...

mooby 04-07-2008 03:11 PM

F the Pens, they weren't even good enough to finish off the Flyers yesterday and sew up the #1 seed, and now we have to do their dirty work for them. Think about this for a minute, who do you think the Pens would rather see in the playoffs, the team that has won 4 straight against them or a team that barely managed to claw in after the best start in NHL history. It's no wonder they lost yesterday.

Redskins8588 04-07-2008 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=mooby;438108]F the Pens, they weren't even good enough to finish off the Flyers yesterday and sew up the #1 seed, and now we have to do their dirty work for them. Think about this for a minute, who do you think the Pens would rather see in the playoffs, the team that has won 4 straight against them or a team that barely managed to claw in after the best start in NHL history. It's no wonder they lost yesterday.[/QUOTE]

What did yesterday mean to them? They won their division and they were in the playoffs so what good would it have done for them to risk injuries yesterday, the game before the playoffs, in a game that was meaningless? They could have had the #1 seed, but at what cost? Now they are totaly healthy and heading into the playoffs at the #2 seed to dominate the playoffs. You say F the Pens, I say F the Caps, they are "LUCKY" to have won their division let alone be in the playoffs...

wolfeskins 04-07-2008 03:43 PM

[quote=Redskins8588;438123]What did yesterday mean to them? I say F the Caps, they are "LUCKY" to have won their division let alone be in the playoffs...[/quote]

it did take some luck for the caps too make it into the playoffs but you gotta admit, the caps are playing some darn good hockey right now.

i just hope they didn't burn themselve out during that awsome streak.

BDBohnzie 04-07-2008 04:11 PM

C A P S Caps Caps Caps

It's almost as if they have destiny on their side...14th as of the beginning of January, they end the year as the #3 seed, winning the Southeast Division. Heading into the playoffs, winners of 7 straight and 11 of their last 12. Should be a slobber-knocker of a first round...

As for the Pens, while they escaped injury in their 2-0 loss to the Flyers, they also had a chance to gain home ice advantage for the playoffs, and did not. Time will tell to see if it bites them in the ass...Not sure who I'd rather see, Ottawa or Boston, but if the Sens somehow remember how to play lights out hockey, it could be a tough first round for the Pens.

GMScud 04-07-2008 04:13 PM

[quote=Redskins8588;438123]What did yesterday mean to them? They won their division and they were in the playoffs so what good would it have done for them to risk injuries yesterday, the game before the playoffs, in a game that was meaningless? They could have had the #1 seed, but at what cost? Now they are totaly healthy and heading into the playoffs at the #2 seed to dominate the playoffs. You say F the Pens, I say F the Caps, they are "LUCKY" to have won their division let alone be in the playoffs...[/quote]

So if Pitt ends up playing Montreal in the playoffs, not having home ice is meaningless? I don't think so.

Boudreau is now 38-17 since taking over the team and we have the league's MVP and hottest goalie. Oh, not to mention a division championship and a 3 seed. How is that lucky?

skinsfan_nn 04-07-2008 05:47 PM

[quote=GMScud;438140]So if Pitt ends up playing Montreal in the playoffs, not having home ice is meaningless? I don't think so.

Boudreau is now 38-17 since taking over the team and we have the league's MVP and hottest goalie. Oh, not to mention a division championship and a 3 seed. How is that lucky?[/quote]

It's only "LUCKY" if you don't know any better or understand the sport! Oh thats right 8588 you only watch the playoffs so you would qualify.

Lucky is a hole in one! Not getting on the winning streak the CAPS are on, but you couldn't understand that because your pens aren't on any run, well maybe a bad one......especially after that ass whippen your unlucky pens got yesterday. And if you think that #1 seed doesn't mean anything and you had nothing to play for your probably right about at least that, because your shit birds will departing the playoffs early anyway!

The pens would have got there ass beat by ANY AHL team yesterday and they flat out SUCK at the right time! I wish we had them in the first round to...being they where scared to death to play the flyers as shown yesterday. Then we could have put them out of there own misery.

GO CAPS!!!!!!!

skinsfan_nn 04-07-2008 06:19 PM

Caps LUV on Redskin Insider......SWEET!

[url=http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/]Redskins Insider[/url]

Posted at 5:56 PM ET, 04/ 7/2008
Blog Luv

(Disclaimer: This is not football/Redskins related, but it's my blog so I gotta follow my heart. If that turns your off, I understand, and this would be a good time to exercise your mouse).

How about the Caps? I was as skeptical as anyone about the organization finally, truly, turning the corner, but even had they missed the playoffs I was sold. They're back and should be primed for regular postseason appearances, maybe even in the range of the 1982-1998 glory days.

How pumped are you for Flyers/Caps In the playoffs? Just like the gold old days. There was definitely a time in my life when Dale Hunter's OT series winning goal over the Flyers in 1988 was my most cherished sports moment - The Caps win a 7th game in OT against the Broad Street Bullies? No way. Caps playof memories generally triggered thoughts of the Nedved goal, the John MacLean goal, the Patty La La goal and, well, let's just say there was a lot of heartbreak growing up a diehard Caps fan.

(Langway picking the top corner on Richter has to be right up there with Hunt's series winner for me in most meaningful Caps goals during my fan days (prior to covering the league). Yeah it didn't clinch the series at 3-1, but even for the choking Caps you knew that series was over. I mean, Langway, with a sick finesse goal like that after going like 14 months without scoring? Come on. You knew they would be playing in May for the first time ever).

Anyway, this should be a lot of fun. Great to see Verizon Center rocking again. (As great as Caps/Flyers is, I kinda loved the subplot had Ottawa kept the sixth seed. Bryan Murray - who led the Caps out of darkness the first time around but never gotten over the choking label, facing that franchise now as it comes out of the shadows again, this time behind Otttawa's bench?).

And Ovechkin is the MVP, hands down. Boudreau gotta get serious consideration for the Adams Trophy as well.

Also wanted to throw some luv at my man Bram Weinstein, who is moving up in the world. Bram is leaving Redskins Radio to do anchoring work at ESPN. He's a great guy with a tremendous work ethic, and it's awesome to see that rewarded. Hope he knocks 'em dead in Bristol.

And, finally, big ups to Houston and Dallas of MLS. Not sure if any of you caught their Texas derby on Telefutura yesterday (Rocco and I settled in with a bottle of milk and some biter biscuits), but it was a testament to MLS at its best (and hopefully a sign of things to come).

Yeah, it's just the first few weeks of the season, but this had a Cup feel to it. If the league had a way to bottle up this passion and atmosphere and clone it, man, it would do wonders for soccer in this country. This was a true SuperClassico, with biting tackles, non-stop energy, wundergoals, and a palpable edge to the game, like these guys wont be having beers together afterwards. Anyone who moans about soccer not being a contact sport should check the highlights.

And, it was also littered with contributions from young American players, and not just imports (let's not lose sight of that MLS, and DC United in particular). Kenny Cooper and Brian Ching were excellent in holding roles, and there were wild swings in play that would appeal to any sports fan- Houston blew a first-half lead at home, trailed late, Dallas wasted 2-3 chances to go up 4-2 and then the Dynamo it on an absolute cracker of a goal in injury time.

Well done, lads. That was an awesome display.