Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Updated: Redskins Trade for Vikings DE Erasmus James (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23563)

RIGGO/NYC 05-23-2008 10:30 PM

re: Updated: Redskins Trade for Vikings DE Erasmus James

[QUOTE=T.O.Killa;449765]I think that is a little harsh. Cornerbacks are the same as last year. Torrence did a good job at the end of the season. He has worked extremely hard in the offseason and I think he will be better this year. Rogers should be back at some point. I think we will be fine this year. What we need is a replacement for Springs in 2009.[/QUOTE]

How is that harsh? Do you really think without springs, with our pass rush, that we will hold up against eli and the ny receivers and romo and the cowboys receivers? We play in the best division in the league; yeah we have a good team, but without a no.1 corner, we will have a tough time with Dallas and NY. I bleed skins, but I do not agree with not taking a corner in the second round or at least signing depth there. This is a passing league. The cowboys are stacked, Martellus Bennett is 6'7 and he's better than Fred Davis. Him, Witten and T.O. tough!!!!!!! I do think our offense and our run defense will be good.

skinsnut 05-23-2008 10:39 PM

I really dont know how good this guy can be but I still think we need FA help at DE.
The way I see it we can get one in one of the following ways.
Trade
Pick up an FA old guy
Pick up a FA guy with injury issues
Try to get lucky with the CFL

Yeah, this guy was supposed to be good...but he didn't put up great numbers when he was starting...so I think he is potential depth at best...but his age sure is attractive

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 05-23-2008 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=MrJL;449768]4 sacks in 15 games isn't great but he was a rookie.[/QUOTE]

In the 8 games he started since his rookie season he has 9 total tackles and 1 sack. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a decent depth signing, but his history of injuries and his lack of production are meaningful. Anyone who expects him to be some stud just because he's a former 1st rounder is kidding themselves.

T.O.Killa 05-23-2008 11:48 PM

[quote=RIGGO/NYC;449773]How is that harsh? Do you really think without springs, with our pass rush, that we will hold up against eli and the ny receivers and romo and the cowboys receivers? We play in the best division in the league; yeah we have a good team, but without a no.1 corner, we will have a tough time with Dallas and NY. I bleed skins, but I do not agree with not taking a corner in the second round or at least signing depth there. This is a passing league. The cowboys are stacked, Martellus Bennett is 6'7 and he's better than Fred Davis. Him, Witten and T.O. tough!!!!!!! I do think our offense and our run defense will be good.[/quote]
I dont understand, as far as I know Springs is still on the team and our best corner.

RIGGO/NYC 05-23-2008 11:59 PM

Im just saying I am nervous putting the season on the line of a 33 year old cornerback who's been injured his whole NFL career. Smoot will never be a NO. 1 corner and Tryon and Torrence can not be No. 2s or maybee not even 3's. Rogers will not be himself this season. I think with Mix on the team, we should have drafted Lee and not Kelly. This is relevant to the pass rush, becaue without one it makes are CB's even more vulnerable.

T.O.Killa 05-24-2008 12:04 AM

Well, i think our pass rush needs help and we could use more talent at the corners, but I think we will be ok there.

BrudLee 05-24-2008 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=WaldSkins;449748]Vet mins need not Reply[/QUOTE]

Awww...

SmootSmack 05-24-2008 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=RIGGO/NYC;449783]Im just saying I am nervous putting the season on the line of a 33 year old cornerback who's been injured his whole NFL career. Smoot will never be a NO. 1 corner and Tryon and Torrence can not be No. 2s or maybee not even 3's. Rogers will not be himself this season. I think with Mix on the team, we should have drafted Lee and not Kelly. This is relevant to the pass rush, becaue without one it makes are CB's even more vulnerable.[/QUOTE]

A few thoughts

-"injured his whole NFL career" seems a bit of a stretch for someone who just played all 16 games last year and at least 15 in three of the past four years. I don't deny that Springs is getting up there in age (NFL wise) or that he has had some injuries in the past, but "injured his whole NFL career" is inaccurate.

-Smoot is probably best suited as a nickel/#2 but there aren't many better out there

-I don't know enough about Tyron and think Torrence works hard but might not be talented enough. I agree about Rogers so I certainly would have liked some more depth at the position. But I guess the team feels they may have that with another year of experience for Torrence and with Tyron.

-I think that maybe all that faith you're putting in Mix you should put into some of the corners though, considering Mix has accomplished less than any of them.

RIGGO/NYC 05-24-2008 11:31 AM

:confused-[QUOTE=SmootSmack;449821]A few thoughts

-"injured his whole NFL career" seems a bit of a stretch for someone who just played all 16 games last year and at least 15 in three of the past four years. I don't deny that Springs is getting up there in age (NFL wise) or that he has had some injuries in the past, but "injured his whole NFL career" is inaccurate.

-Smoot is probably best suited as a nickel/#2 but there aren't many better out there

-I don't know enough about Tyron and think Torrence works hard but might not be talented enough. I agree about Rogers so I certainly would have liked some more depth at the position. But I guess the team feels they may have that with another year of experience for Torrence and with Tyron.

-I think that maybe all that faith you're putting in Mix you should put into some of the corners though, considering Mix has accomplished less than any of them.[/QUOTE]
It's not that I am putting faith in Mix. It's just that I don't see any reason why he can not be expected to produce just as much as Kelly could produce considering Kelly has not done anything either in the NFL being a rookie. Why not use that pick on Patrick Lee instead and HOPE Mix could fill that big possesion No. 4 wideout spot.

Skinny Tee 05-24-2008 11:49 AM

[quote=ChickenMonkey;449757]Justin Tyron will be the nickle corner, you can pencil him in already...For those who didnt see hin play in college, take my word for it he was made to be an NFL corner..I wouldnt worry so much about the corners..if Springs goes down Smoot,Torrence And J.Tyron will man the corners until Rogers is back...The corners will surprise this year...We need to make sure we have a pass rush so they wont have to hold up in coverage for so long...[/quote]

You have to love this time of year when people think that our entire draft class is going to contribute on the field this coming year and not be a liability in any way.

I too use to have that but then saw many seasons go by where people after the 2nd round have a hard enough time making the team, let alone playing every down.

SmootSmack 05-24-2008 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=RIGGO/NYC;449823]:confused-
It's not that I am putting faith in Mix. It's just that I don't see any reason why he can not be expected to produce just as much as Kelly could produce considering Kelly has not done anything either in the NFL being a rookie. Why not use that pick on Patrick Lee instead and HOPE Mix could fill that big possesion No. 4 wideout spot.[/QUOTE]

Ok, fair enough. Why Patrick Lee though? Is that just an example or someone who you really were hoping for?

freddyg12 05-24-2008 05:40 PM

James' career seems very much like Courney Penn's, another guy I'm glad we passed on in the draft. Is Penn still playing?

I wonder if James could make the team? Althoug it's a position of need, Wilson is a situational pass rusher & Buzbee will be fighting to make it again. Plus, washington played as a rushing de some last year. James' strength is as a pass rusher, but what we really need is an every down DE to replace Daniels long term.

SmootSmack 05-24-2008 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=freddyg12;449862]James' career seems very much like Courney Penn's, another guy I'm glad we passed on in the draft. Is Penn still playing?

I wonder if James could make the team? Althoug it's a position of need, Wilson is a situational pass rusher & Buzbee will be fighting to make it again. Plus, washington played as a rushing de some last year. James' strength is as a pass rusher, but what we really need is an every down DE to replace Daniels long term.[/QUOTE]

Courney Penn???

Do you mean Courtney Brown from Penn State?

Smooter 05-24-2008 05:49 PM

lmao, thats great.

mooby 05-24-2008 05:52 PM

I wouldn't bother bring Erasmus James in for a tryout. He's not a good defensive end, if the Vikings didn't even try and trade him that just shows how much they think he's worth. You don't cut a first round pick from 4 years ago unless he's pretty much worthless at this point.