Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Don't Be Fooled by the Balls That I Caught, I'm Still Joshua with the Blocks (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=49623)

SmootSmack 10-03-2012 09:53 PM

Don't Be Fooled by the Balls That I Caught, I'm Still Joshua with the Blocks

Good article here by Rich Campbell on a key aspect of the Redskins' offense

[url=http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/3/redskins-wide-receivers-come-in-handy-with-blocks/]Redskins' wide receivers come in handy with blocks - Washington Times[/url]

JGisLordOfTheRings 10-03-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Don't Be Fooled by the Balls That I Caught, I'm Still Joshua with the Blocks

First and great article. I think Morgan especially has done a tremendous job blocking.

DynamiteRave 10-03-2012 10:00 PM

Re: Don't Be Fooled by the Balls That I Caught, I'm Still Joshua with the Blocks

The title of this thread is doing way too much. And obscure enough that I'm probably the only person that knows what it's referring to. :silly:

SmootSmack 10-03-2012 10:05 PM

Song popped in my head for some reason when I was reading the article

NC_Skins 10-03-2012 10:25 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;948734]The title of this thread is doing way too much. And obscure enough that I'm probably the only person that knows what it's referring to. :silly:[/quote]

That stupid ass J-lo song. Horrendous.

Dirtbag59 10-03-2012 10:26 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;948736]Song popped in my head for some reason when I was reading the article[/quote]

This song?
[YT]Sob1LcGkdMg[/YT]

FRPLG 10-03-2012 10:38 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;948734]The title of this thread is doing way too much. And obscure enough that I'm probably the only person that knows what it's referring to. :silly:[/quote]

Seriously? Jenny from the block is obscure?

SmootSmack 10-03-2012 10:41 PM

So...um, anyone have any thoughts on the article?

DynamiteRave 10-03-2012 10:49 PM

[quote=FRPLG;948745]Seriously? Jenny from the block is obscure?[/quote]

For men. I didn't think men liked pop music.

los panda 10-03-2012 10:55 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;948747]For men. I didn't think men liked pop music.[/quote][YT]x81iip6psks[/YT]

this is pop

Hog1 10-03-2012 10:57 PM

Great Article! WOOHOO!!
Spells Ass Kickin' for the ATL
Now....who this...somebody inthe.....box?

EARTHQUAKE2689 10-03-2012 11:38 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;948747]For men. I didn't think men liked pop music.[/quote]

I do.

SFREDSKIN 10-03-2012 11:50 PM

Let's get rid of Morgan, he sucks!! Blah, blah, blah...

Morgan had his best game as a Redskin receiving and blocking on Sunday and is just getting started. Yeah, Atlanta has Jones, White, Gonzales, etc. Well guess what? Skins got Garçon, Morgan, Hankerson who are getting up to speed and starting to make an impact. I see a coming out party on Sunday, in addition there's Moss, Davis and Robinson if he plays. Atlanta has more to worry than the Redskins.

punch it in 10-03-2012 11:59 PM

Interesting article. Always think about backs blocking in pass protection but never about down field blocking by the receivers. Apparently Morgan didnt totally get it either until he came here with MS so kudos to MS. Ill definitely be paying attention to the receivers more on sunday now.
Oh and pop music - well - ill just say music aint what it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaskin4life 10-04-2012 01:01 AM

He's been consistent as a receiver and now as this article points out, as a blocker down field as well. A quality acquisition. I should have guessed he was the real deal after that drama in jericho went down. In fact they wrote a song about it. Like to hear it - here it go

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRETgdWdwTA]Bing Crosby & Sons - "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho" - YouTube[/ame]

CultBrennan59 10-04-2012 01:52 AM

Congrats SS, you turned this thread into another song thread

Like the JLo reference though

And yes the article is interesting. That has been the best thing that Morgan has done for us this season is his down field blocking. Maybe he gets into that end-zone this week.

MTK 10-04-2012 08:42 AM

Teams that run the ball really well typically have WRs blocking their butts off down field. Morgan was a nice addition.

Chico23231 10-04-2012 08:50 AM

super whack thread title and song. Morgan has proved his worth so far in the season

GTripp0012 10-04-2012 09:01 AM

Our receivers (Morgan, Robinson, Hankerson, even Banks) are having a good season. The only exception so far is Santana Moss, and even he has a touchdown at least.

Daseal 10-04-2012 09:02 AM

One of my friend helped do some training with Morgan in the offseason. First time he met him -- he thought he was meeting a linebacker, not a WR. Said the dude was built like a tank.

He has been doing a great job blocking down field, and so has Hank. Even Garcon has gotten in the action, although last week we saw some pretty cheap shots from him.

CrustyRedskin 10-04-2012 09:27 AM

[quote=imaskin4life;948765]He's been consistent as a receiver and now as this article points out, as a blocker down field as well. A quality acquisition. I should have guessed he was the real deal after that drama in jericho went down. In fact they wrote a song about it. Like to hear it - here it go

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRETgdWdwTA]Bing Crosby & Sons - "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho" - YouTube[/url][/quote]

That's just down right creepy. Yes Morgan has been blocking well. Jericho Jericho. Morgan who.

30gut 10-04-2012 10:29 AM

Anything that brings out the mental image of J-Lo is good with me.

I think Mr.Morgan despite his losing his freakin mind in the St.Louis has been every bit the great blocker, physical and tough receiver I expected.

I've been surprised by his receiving skills thus far.
He seems to be getting separation, and catching everything thrown his way and of course he still gets YAC.
I think Morgan deserves more targets then Hankerson.

[quote=GTripp0012;948813]Our receivers (Morgan, Robinson, Hankerson, even Banks) are having a good season. The only exception so far is Santana Moss, and even he has a touchdown at least.[/quote]I love the quality and depth of our receiving corps.
When you look at our depth and the fact that Kyle is incorporating concepts from Baylor's offense I'm surprised and waiting in hopeful anticipation of our increase use of 4 WR spread formations.

Re:I think Moss perceived lack of production is due to the focus on developing the younger receivers.
I think Moss would be more productive given more targets but this offense should/is trying to wean themselves of Moss.

REDSKINS4ever 10-05-2012 01:51 PM

Dezmon Briscoe needs to make his presence known. Mike Shanahan said that he likes Briscoe. The guy has the potential to be a tremendous wide receiver in the NFL. He just needs the opportunity. Briscoe has to be the most underrated wide receiver on the Redskins roster. They need to give this guy more playing time.

los panda 10-05-2012 01:57 PM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;949206]Dezmon Briscoe needs to make his presence known. Mike Shanahan said that he likes Briscoe. The guy has the potential to be a tremendous wide receiver in the NFL. He just needs the opportunity. Briscoe has to be the most underrated wide receiver on the Redskins roster. They need to give this guy more playing time.[/quote]i have a similar opinion on him, i think he's the talented big dog that hankerson (can or cannot, but) hasn't been yet.

i think if he gets a start, and some targets, he's going to prove it.

REDSKINS4ever 10-06-2012 04:08 PM

Well, I would like to see more of Briscoe. Those six TD passes that he caught last season for the Bucs shows he's a definite red zone threat.

skins89moss 10-07-2012 08:21 AM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;949206]Dezmon Briscoe needs to make his presence known. Mike Shanahan said that he likes Briscoe. The guy has the potential to be a tremendous wide receiver in the NFL. He just needs the opportunity. Briscoe has to be the most underrated wide receiver on the Redskins roster. They need to give this guy more playing time.[/quote]

I agree also about Briscoe. He has size good and good hands. He is our biggest WR we could use him in the redzone. I think he is still learning our system. I think he will make some plays this season when given the chance.

Jayroc24 10-14-2012 07:40 PM

Here is to Josh Morgan with one hell of a game, he was poping blocks all over the place!!! Thought he did a great job today, your thoughts?

Ruhskins 10-14-2012 07:43 PM

[quote=Jayroc24;952473]Here is to Josh Morgan with one hell of a game, he was poping blocks all over the place!!! Thought he did a great job today, your thoughts?[/quote]

Including that key block on the RG3 long TD run.

Alvin Walton 10-14-2012 08:50 PM

This isnt the penalty maker that I used to know.

mooby 10-14-2012 09:42 PM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;949206]Dezmon Briscoe needs to make his presence known. Mike Shanahan said that he likes Briscoe. The guy has the potential to be a tremendous wide receiver in the NFL. He just needs the opportunity. Briscoe has to be the most underrated wide receiver on the Redskins roster. They need to give this guy more playing time.[/quote]

I don't think I'd care if we saw less of Briscoe. First time he's active in a game all season, and he gets wide open (and he had enough room to get about 10 yards after that 15ish yard throw) and he dropped it. That's not how you get more pt.

imaskin4life 10-14-2012 10:08 PM

He showed great PRESENCE on the block not to throw a block into the defender's back when the defender was turned around. He set the screen and waited for the defender to turn back around before throwing the block. There are players that are not present enough to make that play in the moment and will throw that block into the defender's back. If he does that, no TD and more "cut Morgan" posts.

The replay of his block is at 48 seconds

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5SfBUhtyk]RG3 76 Yard TD Run Against Vikings 10/14/2012 - YouTube[/url]

30gut 10-15-2012 08:33 AM

[quote=30gut;948834]I think Moss perceived lack of production is due to the focus on developing the younger receivers.
I think Moss would be more productive given more targets but this offense should/is trying to wean themselves of Moss.[/quote][url=http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins]Washington Redskins 2012 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - ESPN[/url]

Moss is tied for 2nd in reception with: 16 receptions on 20 targets
3 plays of 20+ yards
10 1st downs
96 YAC

SmootSmack 10-15-2012 08:58 AM

Morgan played a nearly flawless game on Sunday. We all know what a great blocker he is, but he really could have had a 100 yard receiving day had RG3 seen him a couple of times. He was wide open on crisply run routes multiple times. I've been saying I didn't understand why we wanted Morgan, why not just sign Garcon? Maybe it should be the other way around

JoeRedskin 10-15-2012 09:36 AM

No No No NO!!! Garcon was the most epic signing of all time and will turn this team around for decades to come!

ummm ... okay, maybe he wasn't.

30gut 10-15-2012 09:52 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;952721]Morgan played a nearly flawless game on Sunday. We all know what a great blocker he is, but he really could have had a 100 yard receiving day had RG3 seen him a couple of times. He was wide open on crisply run routes multiple times. I've been saying I didn't understand why we wanted Morgan, why not just sign Garcon? Maybe it should be the other way around[/quote]The performance of the offense sans Garcon is kinda calls into question how much we 'needed' him.

A starting line-up of Morgan and Moss w/ Eric Winston or another upgrade at RT would've been fine with me.

CRedskinsRule 10-15-2012 10:41 AM

Garcon adds a threat, would it be good to have him out there - absolutely. I think what's even better is that we can be missing the designated #1 receiver and still be threatening to put up 20+ points a game. Let him get healthy, and add that dimension back in as the season develops. Hard to <accurately> judge the signing based on one good game and one mystery foot sprain.

FRPLG 10-15-2012 10:53 AM

Maybe Garcon can get healthy and play CB?

30gut 10-15-2012 11:13 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;952799]Hard to <accurately> judge the signing based on one good game and one mystery foot sprain.[/quote]You can judge by his absence though, and the offense is just fine without him.

CRedskinsRule 10-15-2012 11:32 AM

[quote=30gut;952813]You can judge by his absence though, and the offense is just fine without him.[/quote]

Couldn't we make the same case for Winston? Sure Polumbo isn't going to go to any probowl any time soon, but I don't hear his name called on penalties, and we seem to have some degree of success offensively. (he's not calling out the fans in the stands either a la Winston).

30gut 10-15-2012 12:40 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;952818]Couldn't we make the same case for Winston? Sure Polumbo isn't going to go to any probowl any time soon, but I don't hear his name called on penalties, and we seem to have some degree of success offensively.[/quote]Maybe you could, but I can't and here's why: Moss and Morgan have been good in place of Garcon.

Polumbus has not been a good RT and having him as starters means Jordan Black is the next man up.
One could argue if it wasn't for their ineptitude we win the Bengals game.

Pro Football Focus is the only site that has individual OL rankings, (i don't subscribe) but here's what I could find from them about Winton and Polumbus.

[quote=PFF]Charles and Draughn have received help from their offensive line with starters Ryan Lilja, Jon Asamoah, Eric Winston, and Rodney Hudson combing for a +15.8 run blocking grade.[/quote]

[quote=PFF]But considering he was working against Tyler Polumbus, his day could have been much better, as Polumbus is the third worst offensive tackle in our grades[/quote]