Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts on Eagles/Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25629)

MTK 10-01-2008 11:04 AM

Thoughts on Eagles/Redskins

Yet another division game on the road, whoever made this schedule was determined to put the Redskins to the test early in the season and so far they are passing with flying colors. The Skins have to avoid having a letdown after a very big road win against the Cowboys and all the postgame hype about them being one of the better teams in the league now.

The Eagles high flying offense was cooled a bit recently, and Westbrook might be out with a bum ankle. The Skins have played well in Philly in recent years, and I think they will keep it going this week with another hard fought road victory. The Skins made waves last week with a big win, and this win will cement them as a top contender.

Redskins 27
Eagles 20

redsk1 10-01-2008 11:09 AM

Re: Thoughts on Eagles/Redskins

I'm going to state the obvious, but our Dline needs to get to McNabb and control his scrambling.

Looking at the NFL Replay, if I have one complaint about the game last week, was that our Dline didn't get much on Dallas's oline. We were pretty much blocked, our secondary stepped up. Philly's oline is beat up and is not as good as Dallas's, so let's hope we do a little better against the Eagles.

Once McNabb starts breaking tackles, scrambling around, even mediocre receivers can get open.

Oh yeah, it would be nice for Westbrook to wait another week to come back too.

GhettoDogAllStars 10-01-2008 11:15 AM

I agree with redsk1, the DLine has got to step up. If last week the burden was on the secondary, this week it's on the DLine. We gotta stop the screen -- it's the Eagles' bread and butter. It's going to take some discipline.

jamf 10-01-2008 11:22 AM

The last few years, McNabb hasn't been healthy.
A healthy McNabb scares me.

If he has 3rd and short all day, he is going to kill us. we need to stuff them early and often.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-01-2008 11:24 AM

I think we'll have the hardest test of our season on offense. The Eagles defense is probably the best one we've faced all season top to bottom.

I think the score will be a little lower on both sides, Skins win 20-17. My usual prediction of pain is also in full effect.

Lady Brave 10-01-2008 11:34 AM

I like it that after this game, all our divisional road games will be under our belt.

johnerotten 10-01-2008 11:52 AM

gonna be harder to beat the eagles than it was the cowboys.i hope the skins have figured out a way to keep the eagles from knocking and harrasing JC like they did rothlesberger.i'm really hoping that westbrook can't play,he's a redskins killer for sure. we need to find away to keep mcnabb's scrambling in check and his short and post routes to jackson.let's remember the eagles are gonna be pissed and mad since they have lost 2 straight games too.

horse 10-01-2008 11:55 AM

Alot ofcourse depends on if westbrook plays, But if he does'nt I don't see how they can score. It's gonna be tough to run, So JC is really gonna have to be sharp. And theres always the possibility of the letdown after a huge win. However the eagles have not impressed me yet and if we come in focused I could see us winning big, Just gotta punch it in once we're in the redzone.

Jamaican'Skin 10-01-2008 12:02 PM

For the third week in a row, I will not make a prediction. Philly has a high octane offense with a bunch of no-name receivers. And don't sleep on Buckhalter, the kid has been filling in pretty well for Westbrook. We have to have reasonable pressure on D-Mc, and keep the receivers in check. Jackson is good for at least one bone-headed move that'll help us out. Sunday can't get here fast enough

EternalEnigma21 10-01-2008 12:15 PM

Low scoring. JC hasn't been harassed as much as he will be this weekend since the Giants game. First down sacks seem to stall any offense, especially ours.

I think we can run on them and if it comes down to the fourth we'll pound them into submission.

Our D matches up nicely against their O, though. We seem to do well against heavy passing teams thanks to exceptional secondary play. Containing mcnabb is tough but he makes mistakes and our D is hungry.

We should win, I just hope our guys can handle the hype they've created. They talk a lot about liking the underdog role. Sure... Anyone does. There's no pressure to be successful. Now there is and they need to respond.

over the mountain 10-01-2008 12:20 PM

man philly scares me with their bring the house blitzes and while CP is a bonafide stub pass blocker he can only block one guy at a time. if we play with the same controlled aggression weve shown i think eventually by the second half we will start to hit on some big plays and hopefully open up a tightly contested game.

these close games are won with second half adjustments and hopefully zorn and blatche will figure things out like they have the past 3 games.

go skins!!

Hog1 10-01-2008 12:22 PM

Our O-line protects/blocks, we win. They WILL be ready! We hate them as much as they us. Zornski will have them ready. His understanding as well as the teams seems to be accelerating.
Skins 27
losers 17

Dblock804 10-01-2008 12:26 PM

Philly has tough O line. If we stop the run and make them pass we should be ok. I hope westbrook takes another week off.
28-21 skins.

53Fan 10-01-2008 12:31 PM

If we win in Philly we come out 4-1. Better than anyone expected and pretty much in control of our own destiny. Make no doubt about it, this is an important game. We need to progress forward, not have a setback. The Iggles blitz at the drop of a hat and it's imperative that we make them pay, early and often. I expect Zorn to have a great gameplan and if the execution is there, we win.

SouperMeister 10-01-2008 12:34 PM

With Westbrook possibly out, McNabb's only other big play option is the rookie, DeSean Jackson. I want to see a similar game plan that we deployed to slow TO last week - have the corners get very physical with Jackson, jamming him at the line, with help from Landry over the top to prevent the home run.

Philly's D has looked stout against the run, but vulnerable against the pass at times. I want to see Campbell test their young LB's in pass coverage with Cooley, and I would love to see any of our rookie receivers in the game plan. I'm looking for Philly to try to take away Moss and Portis, and make Campbell beat them with our secondary weapons - I say bring it on!!!

cochise 10-01-2008 12:40 PM

There is no better offense against the blitz then the WCO. We will burn them on some big plays and come out ahead in a close one 17-13.

SmootSmack 10-01-2008 12:42 PM

I think it will be a very close game that could come down to overtime, after that...who knows

mlmpetert 10-01-2008 12:47 PM

[quote=EternalEnigma21;484012]Low scoring. JC hasn't been harassed as much as he will be this weekend since the Giants game. First down sacks seem to stall any offense, especially ours.

I think we can run on them and if it comes down to the fourth we'll pound them into submission.

Our D matches up nicely against their O, though. We seem to do well against heavy passing teams thanks to exceptional secondary play. Containing mcnabb is tough but he makes mistakes and our D is hungry.

We should win, I just hope our guys can handle the hype they've created. They talk a lot about liking the underdog role. Sure... Anyone does. There's no pressure to be successful. Now there is and they need to respond.[/quote]

After this game we will have gone up agianst 4 of the top 5 passers in the leauge as of week 4. Im pretty sure we have held all 3 so far below their averages, but our secondary is being tested big time.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/player"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.nfl.com/stats/player[/COLOR][/URL]

Also with the eagles secondary I think JC has a good chance of making his first int. Hopefully not, but it will be key to see how we respond with a major momentem killer, as we have yet to really have one.

Another problem I see is that this I expect the eagles to be the best coached team to go agiants so far. Plus very simular to NO offense, which we ended up getting kinda of lucky with the 3 turnovers.

Im guessing tough close game. Who ever makes the least amount of mistakes wins

Schneed10 10-01-2008 12:47 PM

I can't call this one. Two excellent teams (as long as Westbrook plays). I do know that it's going to be one of the meanest slugfests I've ever seen.

NFC East football, gotta love it!

BravesOnthePath 10-01-2008 12:50 PM

[quote=SouperMeister;484019]With Westbrook possibly out, McNabb's only other big play option is the rookie, DeSean Jackson. I want to see a similar game plan that we deployed to slow TO last week - have the corners get very physical with Jackson, jamming him at the line, with help from Landry over the top to prevent the home run.

Philly's D has looked stout against the run, but vulnerable against the pass at times. I want to see Campbell test their young LB's in pass coverage with Cooley, and I would love to see any of our rookie receivers in the game plan. I'm looking for Philly to try to take away Moss and Portis, and make Campbell beat them with our secondary weapons - I say bring it on!!![/quote]

I totally agree... Cooley has been having a phenomenal year and could be a force again in this game if we use him correctly. Plus, even if we can just throw a few points on the board, im confident that our defense can give them a good bit of trouble and secure the win. Go skins!!!

EARTHQUAKE2689 10-01-2008 12:51 PM

Redskins 31
Eagles 16

SmootSmack 10-01-2008 12:54 PM

[quote=Schneed10;484026]I can't call this one. Two excellent teams (as long as Westbrook plays). I do know that it's going to be one of the meanest slugfests I've ever seen.

NFC East football, gotta love it![/quote]

Byron on Brian: "I Don't Think He'll Play"
Jason La Canfora reports:

Redskins cornerback Byron Westbrook said he would be very surprised if his brother Brian played for the Eagles this weekend. Byron Westbrook said he speaks to his brother, whose presence completely changes the effectiveness and productivity of the Philly offense, nearly every day.

"I don't think he'll play," Byron Westbrook said. "The ankle injury is more serious than what the Eagles put out. You know how Andy Reid is about injuries and giving out information. Just watching him on the sidelines after he turned his ankle [against Pittsburgh two weeks ago], it didn't look good.

"He's a warrior and it's an NFC East game and he wants to play, but its also early in the season and it's not a playoff game. If he goes out and plays at 75 perecent, you could end up making it a lot worse. He would want to get to 90 percent to really be able to play."

Westbrook said he and his big brother, who is getting treatment but, according to the Eagles, is scheduled to practice today, last talked on Sunday.

As he usually does when the Redskins are preparing to face the Eagles, Byron Westbrook will continue to act as his brother on the scout team all week. The Redskins will still prepare in case Brian Westbrook plays.

"We still have to prepare for him regardless," Byron Westbrook said. "And if he can"t play, then we'll just be over-prepared."

johnerotten 10-01-2008 01:07 PM

far be it from a big brother to ever pull the wool over his little brother's eyes!i think washington's dbs are a lot better than the cowboys and bears though.if the skins continue to play smart and avoid turnovers and injuries,they'll continue to win.and if
they do lose,it ain't the end of the season.

SBXVII 10-01-2008 01:14 PM

I think....we win. I say this 'cause I really don't think the Eagles have been the same since their SB run. Yes they have flashes but not during the whole season. McNabb is not 100%, Westbrook even if he plays will not be 100%, They only have one really good WR Rookie they picked up in the offseason, Their secondary is suspect, Dallas beat them and we beat Dallas(I know, I know...any given Sunday...), and the crowd noise. Their fans can get loud which may pose a problem but since we played Dallas in a sorta half dome situation and won I think we should be alright in an open stadium.

What happened to the Talidega Night Homers? ....

31-17 Skins:headbange

HAILItsGAMEDAY 10-01-2008 01:22 PM

God it would be fantastic to win this game and be 4-1. Personally I think this game is going to be a really tough one to win. The iggles D is 1st against the run and 3rd in overall defense. The past 4 weeks we have played the most powerful offensive teams in the entire league. The cowboys are ranked 2nd the saints are 3rd the Giants are 4th and the Cards are 5th. WoW! And now we have to play the 6th ranked Iggles. Some schedule we have. This basically shows how awesome our Defense really is. On the flip side, the saints, cards and the cowcocks Defenses are not all that great. However, the iggles D is a force to be reckoned with. Just ask Ben Roethlisberger whos probably still sore from that ass whooping. The dude was sacked 8 freakin times!!! Our offense will not resemble what we have seen in the past three weeks if JC is constantly on his back like big Ben. Plain and simple. It will resemble opening day against the giants where we could not get into a rhythm because our O line was getting muscled over. For us to move to 4-1 we have to have another team effort on all sides of the ball like we did in Dallas. But most importantly a hugggge game from our O-line. I have a ton of confidence in our defense containing Mcnabb. The real question is, can our Offense put up enough points to win against a relentless iggles defense? This will be a true test but I believe JC is up for it. As long as he continues to be patient and make smart decisions expect another great day from him. However, if this is the game he forces some balls and breaks no that no INT streak it could easily change the outcome of this game. I predict a low scoring affair with little to no run game out of CP. I refuse to predict a score simply because I am superstitious. If we play smart football and seize the oppurtunites we get on offense we will win this game. All I can do now is hope for a great game with NO injuries. This is gonna be one hell of a battle! GO SKINS!!!

Monkeydad 10-01-2008 01:26 PM

Skins 38
Grease-birds 16

Slingin Sammy 33 10-01-2008 01:31 PM

Skins 23
Eagles 16

Two keys on offense; one is protection of JC. If we protect, we could win by 14+, however Johnson is an excellent DC with a strong secondary allowing him to bring pressure. Second is the running game, we can't become one-dimensional even though Philly has stopped the run against Dallas, Pitt & Chicago. We must establish a running game to keep the Iggles off balance and not allow them to tee-off on JC.

Defensively, with Westbrook out, the only thing scary is McNabb outside the pocket.

GhettoDogAllStars 10-01-2008 01:40 PM

Like SS33 said, Jim Johnson is a guy to be worried about. This is probably the toughest defense we've faced this year. I'm sure he'll have a great scheme, and it might be hard on JC. I don't see us putting up 30+ points.

On another note, if we lose this game it won't be the end of the world. We'll still have a good chance to go 6-2 by mid-season.

JLee9718 10-01-2008 01:48 PM

Hey, Andy Reid didn't win all the games he was supposed to his first year. I believe in the 'Skins, but I know they could be upset by an inferior team, not that the Eagles are an inferior team...it's just that they're not as good as the Redskins. The Eagles have a good defense, but so do the 'Skins. Jason Campbell could have a bad game, or Jim Zorn could call a bad game, but this is highly unlikely. If Chicago can beat the Eagles, then we shouldn't have a problem winning this one. How's that for rambling?

saden1 10-01-2008 01:52 PM

I hope Westbrook desn't play. I don't like this game because it seems like a perfect trap game. One thing is for sure, we'll know if the Redskins are shitting me or not after this game.

CRedskinsRule 10-01-2008 01:54 PM

After last Sunday's win, we won't take the Eagles by surprise, and I hope our guys know that the Chicago game was not the Eagles best. This game is going to be another brawl, and if we don't contain(not necessarily sack) McNabb he will lead his team to a win.
Having said that, I think we are the most solid of the 4 NFCE teams and think we will win if we play without turning it over.
Eagles 17
Redskins 27 (we still have some trouble finding the endzone, but continue to progress in every aspect.)

Soup's Uncle 10-01-2008 02:13 PM

IF we win this game, then our Redskins ARE FOR REAL. No one can say us beating the Cowgirls was a fluke.

tdSKINS1 10-01-2008 02:14 PM

We have to design some screens to portis to kill the blitz if they send it. Hopefully the Dline can step up and Moss and our recievers can come up big. Thomas really needs to get involved with the offense too. How many times did we throw to him in Dallas?

Skinny Tee 10-01-2008 02:19 PM

No predictions from me. This season has really thrown me for a loop this past four weeks. I won't pretend to think I have a good grasp on what will happen.

I like seeing the product that we have on the field and want that to last as long as possible. I'm in spectator mode now and just want to sit back and watch a good competitve game between NFL teams.

Great job Redskins on the hard work so far, beat these bastards...Hail to the Redskins.

MTK 10-01-2008 02:27 PM

[quote=Soup's Uncle;484071]IF we win this game, then our Redskins ARE FOR REAL. No one can say us beating the Cowgirls was a fluke.[/quote]

That said if the Skins lose I don't think that means they aren't for real.

If anyone is saying the Skins win in Dallas was a fluke, it's probably a ticked off Dallas fan. There's no way that was a fluke.

TheMalcolmConnection 10-01-2008 02:38 PM

I think it's all of us being so cautiously optimistic after being burned so many times in the past. Even prior to Gibbs 2.0, when was the last time we could be fairly confident that our team would a) beat the teams it's supposed to beat and b) put up a fight against teams that are slightly better or our equal consistently?

Hog1 10-01-2008 03:22 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;484075]That said if the Skins lose I don't think that means they aren't for real.

If anyone is saying the Skins win in Dallas was a fluke, it's probably a ticked off Dallas fan. There's no way that was a fluke.[/quote]

Totally!
[I]Anyone says the Cowboy win was a fluke is either a Boys fanatic, or did not see the game. We left a lot of points on the field. We will put more of those on the board as experience grows. THIS team win or lose in PHILLY Is for real!![/I]
[I]HTTR[/I]

birdz4gibbs 10-01-2008 03:43 PM

games like this one after a huge road win against our rivals scares me a bit so any letdowns and we are in trouble there.offensively take your shots when the time is right but be patient and use the clock as your friend like this past sunday against dallas.jason campbell needs to do a few roll outs out of the pocket as well.a few draw plays to slow down jim johnsons pressure defense,keep them off balanced..defensively we need to keep mcnabb under wraps keep him in the pocket and when he scrambles swarm to hims and disregard his jukes and head fakes too.show stay in your run lanes and put some pressure on the running game as well.this is going to be harder than the boys game i feel like and i hope we prevail on the road again but this time we will not see any prevent this time around.the defense will need to make a stop at the end to ensure us victory 17-14 skins this will be a very tough game to watch as well but i,m gamed cause this division id reminding me of the good ole dayz in the nfc east..the way it ought to be..biggest thing is keep the eagles offense off the field on sunday..

skins 17 eagles 14

GTripp0012 10-01-2008 04:24 PM

Every objective measure says the Skins turnover aversion can't last, that the Eagles are going to be unbeatable playing a must-win at home, probably getting the best offensive weapon in the NFL back this week, and generally hitting the Skins in the mouth well they are high.

Those are my thoughts about THIS game. You've been warned.

My thoughts about the Redskins is that this is the strongest I've ever seen them since I've been a fan.

Skins win by six.

GTripp0012 10-01-2008 04:26 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;484075]That said if the Skins lose I don't think that means they aren't for real.

If anyone is saying the Skins win in Dallas was a fluke, it's probably a ticked off Dallas fan. There's no way that was a fluke.[/quote]It might be a fluke from the perspective that Dallas may not have played it's best game, and a better effort from them could have beaten our effort that day.

But from a one-game standpoint, you are absolutely right. The Redskins flat outplayed the Cowboys IN DALLAS last Sunday. Not even Cowboys fans can argue that they deserved to win that game.