Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who Stays-Who Goes? (Offense) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46025)

Paintrain 01-02-2012 08:47 PM

Who Stays-Who Goes? (Offense)

While it's way too early for the 'predict the 53' thread, evaluating our roster at this point going into the offseason it's probably not too early to predict who will be in the teams plans... Here goes..

QB-Grossman (stay), Beck (gone).. Grossman will be a bridge/backup next season for the new QB but no more than a one year deal. Beck showed he has no future as an NFL QB.

RB-Hightower (50-50 but probably gone), Helu (stay), Royster (stay).. I think the Redskins are still looking for that #1 back. Helu and Royster definitely have skills to produce but neither is likely the 250-300 carry guy.

FB-Young (stay), Sellers (gone).. If Sellers is back on the Redskin sidelines, it will be as an assistant or an analyst. He's done.

T-Williams (stay), Smith (stay), Brown (gone), Locklear (gone), Polumbus (stay).. The left side is in pretty good shape with T. Williams returning and Smith providing young, quality depth.. The right side will be a rebuild, Brown can't stay healthy, Locklear was awful, Polumbus was ok and again provides young depth.

G-Lictenstieger (stay), Hurt (stay), Chester (stay), Cook (gone).. Probably the least positional turnover on the roster here. They may add another backup guard but Stieger was our best OL when he got injured so if he returns healthy, this position is pretty well set.

C-Montgomery (gone), Cook (gone).. Monty did a decent job and was an upgrade over Rabach but was still pushed back far too often and his shotgun snaps took way too long to get back to the QB. He's a very good backup but miscast as a starter.

TE-Cooley (stay), Davis (stay), Paulson (stay), Myers (gone).. Another stable position here. Davis can go either way but really hurt himself with the drug suspension so his best bet is a 2-3 year contract here. If healthy, this group can really help a rookie QB..

WR-Moss (gone), Gaffney (stay), Hankerson (stay), Armstrong (gone), Stallworth (gone), Anderson (gone), Paul (stay), Austin (gone), Robinson (stay), Banks (gone).. This will be the largest amount of turnover on the roster and probably needs the biggest overhaul.

Santana Miss (pun intended) had his worst season and won't be back. He caught less than 50% of the balls thrown his way, had his worst YPC average and lowest production numbers (catches, yards, TD) since his 2nd NFL season. He's no longer explosive deep or in getting away from defenders and he dropped WAY too many passes. At least 3 of Rex's interceptions were tipped/missed by Moss.

Armstrong, Stallworth, Anderson, Austin and Banks are all replaceable parts. Paul can become what Stallworth provided. Robinson has 4.3 speed and can be a returner (as can Paul) and Banks did nothing this season to warrant him returning. We were among the league worst in KO and punt returns and Banks fumbled 7 times. Preseason heroics can only carry you so far.

Shanahan acknowledged to the NFC East blogger for ESPN that this team needs a #1 WR and that's a priority this offseason. Expect a big push for a Desean Jackson, Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston type of WR in free agency.

SFREDSKIN 01-02-2012 08:50 PM

Re: Who Stays-Who Goes? (Offense)

Who goes on O:

Stallworth, Sellers, Cook, Armstrong, Locklear, Brown, Anderson.

mbedner3420 01-02-2012 08:54 PM

[quote=Paintrain;872387]While it's way too early for the 'predict the 53' thread, evaluating our roster at this point going into the offseason it's probably not too early to predict who will be in the teams plans... Here goes..

QB-Grossman (stay), Beck (gone).. Grossman will be a bridge/backup next season for the new QB but no more than a one year deal. Beck showed he has no future as an NFL QB.

RB-Hightower (50-50 but probably gone), Helu (stay), Royster (stay).. I think the Redskins are still looking for that #1 back. Helu and Royster definitely have skills to produce but neither is likely the 250-300 carry guy.

FB-Young (stay), Sellers (gone).. If Sellers is back on the Redskin sidelines, it will be as an assistant or an analyst. He's done.

T-Williams (stay), Smith (stay), Brown (gone), Locklear (gone), Polumbus (stay).. The left side is in pretty good shape with T. Williams returning and Smith providing young, quality depth.. The right side will be a rebuild, Brown can't stay healthy, Locklear was awful, Polumbus was ok and again provides young depth.

G-Lictenstieger (stay), Hurt (stay), Chester (stay), Cook (gone).. Probably the least positional turnover on the roster here. They may add another backup guard but Stieger was our best OL when he got injured so if he returns healthy, this position is pretty well set.

C-Montgomery (gone), Cook (gone).. Monty did a decent job and was an upgrade over Rabach but was still pushed back far too often and his shotgun snaps took way too long to get back to the QB. He's a very good backup but miscast as a starter.

TE-Cooley (stay), Davis (stay), Paulson (stay), Myers (gone).. Another stable position here. Davis can go either way but really hurt himself with the drug suspension so his best bet is a 2-3 year contract here. If healthy, this group can really help a rookie QB..

WR-Moss (gone), Gaffney (stay), Hankerson (stay), Armstrong (gone), Stallworth (gone), Anderson (gone), Paul (stay), Austin (gone), Robinson (stay), Banks (gone).. This will be the largest amount of turnover on the roster and probably needs the biggest overhaul.

Santana Miss (pun intended) had his worst season and won't be back. He caught less than 50% of the balls thrown his way, had his worst YPC average and lowest production numbers (catches, yards, TD) since his 2nd NFL season. He's no longer explosive deep or in getting away from defenders and he dropped WAY too many passes. At least 3 of Rex's interceptions were tipped/missed by Moss.

Armstrong, Stallworth, Anderson, Austin and Banks are all replaceable parts. Paul can become what Stallworth provided. Robinson has 4.3 speed and can be a returner (as can Paul) and Banks did nothing this season to warrant him returning. We were among the league worst in KO and punt returns and Banks fumbled 7 times. Preseason heroics can only carry you so far.

Shanahan acknowledged to the NFC East blogger for ESPN that this team needs a #1 WR and that's a priority this offseason. Expect a big push for a Desean Jackson, Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston type of WR in free agency.[/quote]

I have a hard time disagreeing with your predictions. I tend to thnk Santana stays, however. Everything else, I agree with.

Paintrain 01-02-2012 09:02 PM

[quote=mbedner3420;872390]I have a hard time disagreeing with your predictions. I tend to thnk Santana stays, however. Everything else, I agree with.[/quote]

So let me throw this out there.. Does Moss bring anything to the table that cannot be equally replaced, if not improved on by Eddie Royal who is a free agent and BTW was a Shanny draft pick?

mbedner3420 01-02-2012 09:11 PM

[quote=Paintrain;872395]So let me throw this out there.. Does Moss bring anything to the table that cannot be equally replaced, if not improved on by Eddie Royal who is a free agent and BTW was a Shanny draft pick?[/quote]

That is a good point. I could definitely see that happening and would welcome that move. I tend to think it would be unpopular by the fan base to dump moss, but probably would be for the best.

SFREDSKIN 01-02-2012 09:24 PM

[quote=mbedner3420;872398]That is a good point. I could definitely see that happening and would welcome that move. I tend to think it would be unpopular by the fan base to dump moss, but probably would be for the best.[/quote]

I suppose he could be thrown into a trade with picks.

GTripp0012 01-02-2012 09:26 PM

QB - Grossman stays, Beck goes

RB - Helu and Royster both stay. Hightower signs a one year deal, but he needs to learn fullback as well as tailback to justify his roster spot (in case we need him to be Mike Sellers). If Hightower makes the roster, we're keeping 4 RBs, if he doesn't then just three. Obviously this gives us the ability to add another good RB

FB - Young stays

WR - Gaffney stays, Hankerson stays, Paul stays, Armstrong stays, Banks stays, Robinson stays. Moss goes, Stallworth goes, David Anderson goes, Terrence Austin goes. Even with four people off of the roster, there is really just one remaining spot to upgrade the roster at.

TE - Davis re-signs, Cooley stays, Paulsen stays. Sellers goes.

OT - Williams stays, Smith stays, Polumbus stays (for now). Brown goes.

OG - Lichtenstiger stays, Chester stays, Hurt stays

C - Montgomery re-signs. Cook goes.

There's not a lot of radical change needed on the offensive side of the ball. A talent influx is needed, and that will create a numbers game for some of the guys who I've identified as candidates to stay.

Focal point of the draft: corners, safeties, all offensive positions.

GTripp0012 01-02-2012 09:29 PM

[quote=Paintrain;872395]So let me throw this out there.. Does Moss bring anything to the table that cannot be equally replaced, if not improved on by Eddie Royal who is a free agent and BTW was a Shanny draft pick?[/quote]Eddie Royal isn't very good, though he was good the one year he played for Shanahan.

To answer your question, no. Royal could probably masquerade as a decent no. 3 here. I'd just go in a different direction, since we run Kyle's offense.

Moss hit the wall this year. The signs of decline were very present for many years. But this year he stopped catching the football and creating separation for quarterbacks to throw into.

diehardskin2982 01-02-2012 09:42 PM

QB - Grossman goes, Beck goes

RB - Helu, Royster, and Hightower stays.

FB - Young stays

WR - Gaffney stays, Hankerson stays, Paul stays, Armstrong stays, Austin stays, Robinson stays. Moss stays, Stallworth stays, David Anderson goes, Banks goes. There will be a camp competition between Armstrong, Stallworth, and Moss. The winner will make to the 53. I'm gonna give Moss the benefit of the doubt because he did break his hand I do also think Royal will be signed with us

TE - Davis re-signs, Cooley stays, Paulsen stays. Sellers gone.

OT - Williams stays, Smith stays, Polumbus stays. Brown goes.

OG - Lichtenstiger stays, Chester stays, Hurt stays

C - Montgomery re-signs. Cook goes.

htownskinfan 01-02-2012 09:58 PM

I dont know why anyone wants grossman back,you guys are killing me.He is a turnover machine,theres got to be better options out there in the offseason.I want beck and grossman gone.I'd take Mcnabb back over grossman,wheres sage r at? david carr,anybody! please!
I wish they would sign Josh Scobee and cut Gano,but I know theyre not smart enough to do that

skinsfaninok 01-02-2012 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=SFREDSKIN;872388]Who goes on O:

Stallworth, Sellers, Cook, Armstrong, Locklear, Brown, Anderson.[/QUOTE]

Throw in stallworth too

SkinItup 01-02-2012 10:01 PM

I'm just saying who will be back.

qb- Grossman back because of valuable experience in system.

rb- Helu, and Royster. Hightower if for a good deal.

wr- Moss, Hankerson, Banks, Gaffney, Paul

T- All but Locklear

G- Lichtenstiger, Hurt, Chester

C- Monty

TE- Cooley, Davis, Paulsen

mooby 01-02-2012 10:02 PM

QB:

Grossman: stays, either as a backup or a bridge to our talented young qb whom we will hopefully get.

Beck: goes. I'd also like to address that one member here who thinks we should give Beck another shot next year (sorry bro, can't remember your name). Think about how pathetic he played and then think about the fact that he had the opportunity to sit for over a year to learn this offense. I honestly don't think Beck will ever win a game in the NFL.

RB:

Helu: goes :rolleyes: obviously he's staying.

Royster: see Helu. In fact I wouldn't be disappointed if they shared the rock next season.

Hightower: stays, prob a 1 or 2 year deal. Like Gtripp said if he could learn fullback that'd be great, otherwise I wouldn't expect him to see much pt with Royster and Helu hogging the carries. He might still see pt as a pass blocker though.

FB:

Young: stays

WR:

Moss: I was always content with Moss being our #1 in recent seasons, but his ship has sailed. He's starting to get long in the tooth and I think he's on the decline. I wish him success with a SB contender next year though.

Gaffney: stays, solid play this season earns him a couple more years.

Hankerson: stays, I'm definitely excited to see what he can do when he's fully healthy next year.

Armstrong: stays or goes, idc. Definitely fell off from last year. But if we can get better depth at wideout than him I'm all for it. Only way I see him staying is if we only get a true #1 and then leave the depth as it is.

Anderson: same as Armstrong

Austin: same as Anderson

Banks: eh. Idk what to do with him. Is he worth justifying the roster spot anymore? We saw him get a couple plays on offense towards the end of the year, but I honestly think he fell off in a big way from the return game last year. Plus it doesn't help that most of his big returns are helped by blocks in the back or holding. And with the kickoff rules, his value is definitely diminished.

Paul: staying as well. Excited to see if he keeps growing next year.

TE:

Cooley: stays. Fine with him staying. We might need him anyway.

Davis: stays, but damn if he isn't on a slippery slope. One positive test away from a year's suspension for the rest of his career = he will have to walk the straight and narrow for the rest of his career.

Paulsen: stays.

Sellers: Just save us the trouble and retire.

OL:

Williams: stays.

Smith: stays.

Polumbus: stays.

Locklear: goes.

Brown: goes.

The Steig: stays.

Hurt: stays.

Cook: goes.

Montgomery: stays, but they might seek an upgrade.

Chester: stays.

diehardskin2982 01-02-2012 10:04 PM

[quote=htownskinfan;872420]I dont know why anyone wants grossman back,you guys are killing me.He is a turnover machine,theres got to be better options out there in the offseason.I want beck and grossman gone.I'd take Mcnabb back over grossman,wheres sage r at? david carr,anybody! please!
I wish they would sign Josh Scobee and cut Gano,but I know theyre not smart enough to do that[/quote]

David Carr might be good for us as an option. He okay and will be beat out by the rookie. I agree no on Grossman.

CultBrennan59 01-02-2012 10:13 PM

Rex stays as a backup
Young stays as a FB.
Helu, Royster, and Hightower stay.
Gaffney stays, Hankerson, Paul stay.
Fred davis and Paulsen stays
Trent, Polumbus, Willie Smith stay.
Licthensteiger Chester and Hurt stay.
Montgomery stays.

moss could go, especially if we 'reportedly' sign DeSean or Marcus Colston.
cooley could go, especially as trade bait.
Jammal Brown is gone IMO, injured too much and get beat badly.