Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kevin Barnes sounds ready to step up (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35620)

Slingin Sammy 33 03-11-2010 07:02 PM

Re: Kevin Barnes sounds ready to step up

[quote=Daseal;672808]Carlos is far and away our best CB. Hall gets INTs, but also gets worked far more than Carlos. Do I wish he caught those balls? Sure. Is he Asoumough (sp?) or Revis? No, he's not. But he's a top 20 corner in the league, in my opinion. His job is to not let the receiver catch the ball, he does that more than not. Blache and Williams are also known for leaving these guys on islands, most DCs help out their corners with safeties, that wasn't our plan most of the time.

I'll call it right now, Carlos doesn't quite get a pro bowl nod, but he's our starting #1 corner all year and has a productive year, including 3INTs.[/quote]I didn't say who Barnes would beat out ;)

I think Rogers, when focused and motivated, is our best corner. I also believe we will be playing more man and the D will be more "here's your assignment, execute" vs. Blache's "if the O is doing this, here's how you react". I also believe Barnes has a great deal of talent and is motivated to break into the line-up. Between Rogers/Hall, one of them will screw up enough to give Barnes his shot. Once he gets it, I think he'll make the most of it.

Also, a lot of things can happen between now and the beginning of the season, Rogers or Hall might not even be here in Sept.

mlmdub130 03-11-2010 07:05 PM

i would love nothing more than to see him succeed, we dropped a third rounder on him last year so it would be pretty nice to see some productivity out of him this year

GTripp0012 03-11-2010 07:29 PM

The interesting thing is, because of the structure of guaranteed money in Hall's deal, any sort of transaction in the next two years would be a baseball-style salary dump. Which, in layman's terms, means we're on the hook to pay him the money unless we can find another team who will pay him the same money to take him from us.

The Goat 03-11-2010 08:11 PM

Even considering Hall's weaknesses I can't see the FO dumping him even if it was a no-cost transaction. He's the only "playmaker" CB on the roster at this point. Los' inability to make plays combined w/ the inevitable reality he is now on the downside of doing what he's done best (blanket cover) means he's quickly the odd man out if Barnes steps up. You have to safely assume Barnes will instantly be a better playmaker than Los, because honestly how many CBs out there wear hooves for hands, so as soon as he gets to average coverage ability he's the better starter.

tootergray34 03-11-2010 08:16 PM

i'm rooting for him...but he's just another BUST of the zorn era that didn't pan out until he proves me otherwise on the field.

tryfuhl 03-11-2010 08:17 PM

[quote=tootergray34;672875]i'm rooting for him...but he's just another BUST of the zorn era that didn't pan out until he proves me otherwise on the field.[/quote]

God forbid a 3rd round CB not hit the Pro Bowl his rookie year.

takethecake 03-11-2010 08:38 PM

[quote=artmonkforhallofamein07;672631]All I know is he plays pretty well on Madden '10. :)
[/quote]

Haha KB's a beast in madden.. especially in 2011 and 2012....

I'd love to see him step up this year, hopefully he'll actually get some playing time now that blache's gone.

IrMitchell 03-11-2010 08:50 PM

Ya it's easier said than done, but I hope he gets his chance.

53Fan 03-11-2010 09:39 PM

I think he's in a great spot. His rookie year is out of the way and he'll be playing for coaches who like competition at every position. Hopefully he steps up and even if he doesn't start, he pushes Rogers and Hall to play better.

tootergray34 03-12-2010 08:05 AM

3rd rounders should be producing...maybe not at a pro bowl level...but still producing...that's called...knowing how to draft...and I hope we learn how to do it real soon.

CRedskinsRule 03-12-2010 08:12 AM

[quote=tootergray34;672984]3rd rounders should be producing...maybe not at a pro bowl level...but still producing...that's called...knowing how to draft...and I hope we learn how to do it real soon.[/quote]

I don't think most 3rd rounders are expected to step into a starting role in their rookie season. Especially when you have two unquestioned starters. Combine that with the dysfunction that was the coaching staff last year, and I think KB has every opportunity to step up and step in to a solid season.

I couldn't say that that was a bad draft pick by any means, at least not at this point.

MTK 03-12-2010 08:25 AM

CB is one of the tougher positions to come right in as a rookie and produce. I think we're going to see a much improved Kevin Barnes this year.

Player_HTTR 03-12-2010 10:05 AM

Last year the coaches did not put anyone in position to make plays on either side of the ball. Moss said when they played the Giants, the second time, that the Giants DBs were calling out the Skins WR routes all game long. He had never seen anything like that. It is not to far fetched that our Defense was as predictable. Our Starters got burned plenty and said that the coaches never adjusted. This kid COULD be really good in a good system.

I hope he steps up to DB#3 and Tryon can be competition for KR/PR.

Longtimefan 03-12-2010 10:17 AM

[quote=tootergray34;672875]i'm rooting for him...but he's just another BUST of the zorn era that didn't pan out until he proves me otherwise on the field.[/quote]

I don't think you can label a 3rd round draft pick a BUST after one season of limited playing time on a team with veteran players ahead of him on the depth chart. He needs an opportunity to get consistent minutes. Circumstances have changed now and he may get that opportunity this year.

Mechanix544 03-12-2010 10:31 AM

[quote=Longtimefan;673026]I don't think you can label a 3rd round draft pick a BUST after one season of limited playing time on a team with veteran players ahead of him on the depth chart. He needs an opportunity to get consistent minutes. Circumstances have changed now and he may get that opportunity this year.[/quote]

Agreed. Bust, hell no. Given the oppurtunity to succeed, who knows. If he can step in and contribute solidly as a nickel back, and its not unheard of to come in and contribute solidly right off the bat, (see Chris Horton) so I am interested to see what he brings to the skins in nickel and dime situations.

(Ive actually secretly thought that Horton got really lucky that breakout season and totally inflated his expectations, which was bad for both him and the team. Ive just never thought he was as good as people think he is. I dunno, I just think some ppl are being fickle.)