Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kerry Picks Edwards (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1687)

SmootSmack 07-06-2004 10:47 AM

Kerry Picks Edwards

So John Kerry is going with John Edwards as his running mate. Not a bad choice I suppose. True Edwards doesn't have much political experience, but that may be a bonus as some may not seem him as a "Washington Insider". Edwards campaigned pretty well and he should help Kerry in the south and with more moderate democrats.

Suppose though that Kerry wins and then again in 2008. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2012. I would imagine that Edwards being just 59 at that time would run for president. But it seems like the Dems want their next candidate to be Hillary. But I guess if I'm not worried about the Skins salary cap situation in 2006 I shouldn't be worried about who the Dems will choose as their presidential candidate in 2012

Big C 07-06-2004 10:58 AM

I like this selection, as i liked Edwards a lot in the primary. He will certainly help bring some more southern votes to the democratic party. He has shown little negativity as well. But during the primary he seemed to be limited in his goals. But all around, its a solid, safe, pick.

Skins fan 44 07-06-2004 12:14 PM

I liked how Kerry thinks that there is going to be healthcare for everyone. It will NEVER happen. If Hill and Bill could'nt do it Kerry sure as heck cant do it. Besides the insurance companies will not let it happen. Too much dirty money going in gov by the insurance companies.

MTK 07-06-2004 12:17 PM

Let's hope Edwards can help light a fire under the Kerry campaign that up til now has been pretty 'blah'.

JWsleep 07-06-2004 01:22 PM

I walked into my local deli this morning, and the New York Post frontpage headline screamed: IT'S GEPHARDT! Man, was I disapointed.

Then I learned that they had blown it, and it was Edwards. I felt much better. That indicates to me that Edwards is the best choice, despite his inexperince. He's young, a good speaker, a self-made man, and a southerner. Of course, he's a trial lawyer, but you can't have everything.

As to his inexperience: look, Bush Sr. had Quayle, so this same republican crowd was willing to do it then. And c'mon: GWB's main experience was being the face man for a baseball team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but being Governor of Texas isn't really the power in the state. It lies much more in the hands of the Leut. Governor and the legislature (I could be wrong about this...). Still, GWB was Gov. for 5-6 years with little foreign policy experience. (Oh, wait, that might be the trouble...)

Anyway, Edwards adds some spark and is a good complement to Kerry, IMHO.

SmootSmack 07-06-2004 01:32 PM

It's Gephardt! could go down as one of the great gaffes along with "Dewey defeats Truman"

In the unfortunate circumstance that something should happen to the president I'd feel better with Edwards than Cheney, although some say that Cheney is already runnin' thangs anyway

cpayne5 07-06-2004 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]It's Gephardt! could go down as one of the great gaffes along with "Dewey defeats Truman"

In the unfortunate circumstance that something should happen to the president I'd feel better with Edwards than Cheney, although some say that Cheney is already runnin' thangs anyway[/QUOTE]
Or when the Atlanta paper ran the ad congratulating Dan Reeves on winning his 300th game that he lost to the Skins. :D

Sammy Baugh Fan 07-06-2004 04:58 PM

Just like SORE/Loserman they will still be Senators next year.

I had a democrat the other day tell me he was wishing for the worst things for our Country and our people just so his political party had a better chance. He justified his thoughts and wishes that some VERY heavy casulties would mount quickly and even wished for some other attack ON THIS COUNTRY.

I was stunned talking to him and trust me....... I gave him more than an ear full of what I thought about what he was wishing for. Geez-0-flip!

I'll be voting for BUSH but will keep my campaigning to positive things for our Nation and not negative things against our Nation.

Now, as far as the "game" of politics goes I think Kerry made his best choice and hey they got as good of a shot as anyone.

peace and GOD bless America
mike
<><

SmootSmack 07-06-2004 05:17 PM

SBF, I'm not a democrat but I would venture to guess that nobody, democrat or otherwise, would want heavy casualties or another attack on this country. That's absurd.

Whoever wins the election I will wish his administration and our nation nothing but success.

By the way, I'm reading this book on presidents right now. I recommend it. Good essays analyzing each president.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743254333/qid=1089148585/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-3060184-0230409[/url]

Sammy Baugh Fan 07-06-2004 07:20 PM

Sorry you think I'm a liar then.

peace
mike
<><

That Guy 07-06-2004 07:37 PM

being near DC, i see a lot of what SBF is talking about (from both sides), and its really sad some people are that warped with tunnel vision.

but even though i'd never vote for kerry, i think edwards is a much better choice than gep... gep just seemed so negative... edwards also has more support from the 18-24 demo i'd guess...

SmootSmack 07-06-2004 07:49 PM

SBF, I did an awful job expressing myself in my last post. I apologize for that. I totally believe your story. I've heard similar accounts myself from Republicans when Democrats are in the White House and from Democrats when Republicans are there.

What I meant to say, and should have said, was that nobody would or should defend this guy's notion that we would benefit in any way from another attack on this country or mounting casualties, even if you are a fellow democrat like this guy

I hope that clears it up

Daseal 07-06-2004 08:09 PM

I must say, I expected Clark or Gephart. Clark would bring in the senior citizens and military guys. Gephart has a lot of experience. I do like the Edwards pick.

Anybody But Bush.

JWsleep 07-06-2004 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=Sammy Baugh Fan]Just like SORE/Loserman they will still be Senators next year.

I had a democrat the other day tell me he was wishing for the worst things for our Country and our people just so his political party had a better chance. He justified his thoughts and wishes that some VERY heavy casulties would mount quickly and even wished for some other attack ON THIS COUNTRY.

I was stunned talking to him and trust me....... I gave him more than an ear full of what I thought about what he was wishing for. Geez-0-flip!

[/QUOTE]

Sammyfan, that view does not represent my position, and I am a democrat. Also, I am sure it does not represent the opinion of Kerry and Edwards. I supported (and still support) the war, but I have grown increasingly doubtful that the Bush team, especially the civilian leaders in the Pentgon, know what they are doing. Anyway, if you see me posting and criticizing Bush, please don't think that that offensive opinion you mentioned reflects my view. I speak for no one but myself, but I am a democrat, and I don't want to get tarred with that brush.

MTK 07-06-2004 08:47 PM

Definitely anybody but Bush, hell I'd vote for Bugs freakin Bunny over Bush

Sammy Baugh Fan 07-06-2004 09:05 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the "opinions".
Let's all agree we want what is best for this Nation even if we disagree with how to get there...which we clearly do.

peace to all you Warpathers!
mike
<><

That Guy 07-06-2004 10:31 PM

clark wouldn't really bring in the military, many military guys don't like him much (shameless self promoter, among other things)...

JWsleep 07-06-2004 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=Sammy Baugh Fan]Let's all agree we want what is best for this Nation even if we disagree with how to get there...which we clearly do.

[/QUOTE]

amen.

skinsfanthru&thru 07-07-2004 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Suppose though that Kerry wins and then again in 2008. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2012. I would imagine that Edwards being just 59 at that time would run for president. But it seems like the Dems want their next candidate to be Hillary. [/QUOTE]

thats a freaking scary ass thought of Hilary running for the presidency. No matter what happens in the rest of her or my life, I'll always remember the video of her laughing in the background while there was a ceremony at groundzero.

edwards helps kerry reach the southern states and younger voters. I honestly thought the democrats would choose him to represent the party, but his very limited political expirience and lengthy past of being an injury lawyer might hurt him. I think clark lost his chance with what was shown in F9-11.

That Guy 07-07-2004 03:27 AM

yeah, i'd have to agree that hillary is the worst possible choice to ever run for president... just so self-serving and cold.

unfortunately, money has determined who can run, not talent... i dont think bush or kerry are anywhere near ideal candidates, but they can get the cash.

drew54 07-07-2004 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Definitely anybody but Bush, hell I'd vote for Bugs freakin Bunny over Bush[/QUOTE]

This just in, GWB is Bugs freakin Bunny! LOL, I was so excited yesterday when I was was checking the internet on a customers computer I was fixing, and I had fixed the problem. Then as the slow as a snail dial up she was using loaded MSN.com, and I saw it was Edwards, I didnt give a crap about anything that went on the rest of the day. I had to get off of that POS computer and get on our high speed line so I could read all the news sites. Kinda Reminded me of the day Gibbs came back.

PS, thank god this web site isnt over ran with Republican assholes.

skinsfanthru&thru 07-07-2004 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=drew54]PS, thank god this web site isnt over ran with Republican assholes.[/QUOTE]

that's a pretty narrow minded and ignorant opinion.

Sammy Baugh Fan 07-07-2004 10:23 PM

Hey skinsfanthru&thru yer banging yer head against the wall in this forum. Most are Dems and some are hostile and bitter.

Hold the high ground bro and let's go BUSH!
lol

peace
mike
<><

skinsfanthru&thru 07-07-2004 10:36 PM

I still honestly don't know who I'll vote for. I need to learn more about each tickets gameplan for the next few years so I can make an educated vote towards trying to help our country become a better place for us all. I just don't like it when someone makes an ignorant comment degrading a collective of people based on their opinion of just of few people in that group.

SmootSmack 07-07-2004 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfanthru&thru]I still honestly don't know who I'll vote for. I need to learn more about each tickets gameplan for the next few years so I can make an educated vote towards trying to help our country become a better place for us all. I just don't like it when someone makes an ignorant comment degrading a collective of people based on their opinion of just of few people in that group.[/QUOTE]

Well put! Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green Party, whatever...there are no assholes running this site. There are none posting here either. Those who have have learned quickly that they're not welcome here.

That Guy 07-08-2004 01:06 AM

well, i'm a republican (i guess), and i can be an asshole ;) (though an informed one)
i might be writing in this year though...

SmootSmack 07-08-2004 01:11 AM

Herzog/Monk in '04!

Daseal 07-08-2004 10:44 PM

Hillary doesn't have a shot. McCain will be running on the republican ticket next chance he gets (unless Kerry is doing absolutely great after a first term, assuming he wins this election.) Maybe it's me, but I love a leader with military experience. They understand the pain, tragedy, and seriousness of war, and to avoid it at all costs.

That Guy 07-08-2004 11:52 PM

yeah, clinton is pretty much reviled among senior military leaders, and bush loves overdeployment too :( seeing as how we're soo close to D.C. and the pentagon (and my dad's 30 years in the army/his friends), military opinion is important to me. And it seems true that military experience leads to less willingness to throw troops everywhere (ie bush senior).

skinsfanthru&thru 07-09-2004 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Hillary doesn't have a shot. McCain will be running on the republican ticket next chance he gets (unless Kerry is doing absolutely great after a first term, assuming he wins this election.) Maybe it's me, but I love a leader with military experience. They understand the pain, tragedy, and seriousness of war, and to avoid it at all costs.[/QUOTE]

same here, but in every poll that they actually show in the media has shown that if she were to run right now that she'd be the pick of some 60% polled.

how old is mccain? plus the one thing I am a little wary about with Mccain, and I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything, is his extended time as a POW. I've heard and seen from multiple military people that you honestly never know what little thing may cause a flashback or emotional/psychological breakdown and that could be a very bad thing to have happen to our president.

offiss 07-09-2004 12:52 AM

Bushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the way baby!!

That Guy 07-09-2004 03:25 AM

[QUOTE]how old is mccain? plus the one thing I am a little wary about with Mccain, and I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything, is his extended time as a POW. I've heard and seen from multiple military people that you honestly never know what little thing may cause a flashback or emotional/psychological breakdown and that could be a very bad thing to have happen to our president.[/QUOTE]
that's not really insensitive, that's a legitimate concern... his age isn't a factor though, there have been older guys running, and i'd consider his health much better than cheney's...

skinsfanthru&thru 07-09-2004 03:32 AM

[QUOTE=That Guy]that's not really insensitive, that's a legitimate concern... his age isn't a factor though, there have been older guys running, and i'd consider his health much better than cheney's...[/QUOTE]

I don't think his age is a factor either, to an extent, I was just wondering how old he is so I'll know how old he'll be if he runs in 2008. plus a lot can change in ones health over 4 years especially the older u r.

Sammy Baugh Fan 07-09-2004 07:52 AM

Kerry Shot A Head
[url]http://www.nagshead.net/2004election/kerry_gun.jpg[/url]

I've been collecting funny Kerry pictures.
lol

peace