Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The week 1 "what the hell?" thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19707)

724Skinsfan 09-09-2007 08:36 PM

Re: The week 1 "what the hell?" thread

[quote=jsarno;349553]1- Gibbs making a decision to keep in Betts (a fumbler from last year) at the end of the game instead of giving it to Portis who looked GREAT.
2- Gibbs calling a time out with around 1:15 minutes left in the game on a 3rd down which ultimately gave a lot of time to the Fins, luckily they sucked too much to do anything with it.
3- Portis was running wild, and instead of running it in OT, Gibbs goes for a FIRST DOWN 40 YARD FIELD GOAL??? With an unproven kicker none the less?

Campbell throwing a pick on the first pass play of the season!!!![/quote]

1) I agree about Betts. He scares me sometimes.
2) The timeout was not that bad. When you're 3rd and 7, you need to make sure everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe someone noticed that a player was out of position. If they didn't convert then the Miami D gets plenty of time to rest due to change of possession. 3) I liked the call to go ahead and kick. If they miss, I believe they still have 3 other chances. Why risk a backfield sack, fumble or tackle for loss? If Suisham can't hit a 39 yarder with the game on the line Week 1 is a good time to find out instead of Week 16.

Cowell 09-09-2007 08:38 PM

No, once you kick a field goal your possession is over.

724Skinsfan 09-09-2007 08:38 PM

What the hell, Mike Sellers? Do you have to wait for half the team to bring you down or can you just let one or two defenders make the tackle? I mean, come on, make it fair for crying out loud, you friggin' man-beast.

hooskins 09-09-2007 08:40 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;349562]1) I agree about Betts. He scares me sometimes.
2) The timeout was not that bad. When you're 3rd and 7, you need to make sure everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe someone noticed that a player was out of position. If they didn't convert then the Miami D gets plenty of time to rest due to change of possession. 3) I liked the call to go ahead and kick. If they miss, I believe they still have 3 other chances. Why risk a backfield sack, fumble or tackle for loss? If Suisham can't hit a 39 yarder with the game on the line Week 1 is a good time to find out instead of Week 16.[/quote]

We have 3 chances?? Can someone else confirm this?

Cowell 09-09-2007 08:41 PM

As I said before, once you kick it or punt it, regardless of the down your possession is up.

Darrell_Green_28 09-09-2007 08:42 PM

i think that if its a bad snap or something like that the holder can fall on it or attempt a fake for the first down or touchdown and then try another fg next play if they want. as long as the FG is not ACTUALLY attempted. am i right ?

jsarno 09-09-2007 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;349558]Maybe this will help

[url=http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/positionofplayers]NFL Rules Digest: Position of Players at Snap[/url][/QUOTE]

Looks like 7 and 5 were broken.
Oddly enough, his explanation was legit...good post SS.

SmootSmack 09-09-2007 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=hooskins;349567]We have 3 chances?? Can someone else confirm this?[/QUOTE]

We don't get another chance if he misses the kick. But if it's a botched snap or the hold is bad, or a penalty. Then it just becomes 2nd down.

Darrell_Green_28 09-09-2007 08:45 PM

[quote=jsarno;349572]Looks like 7 and 5 were broken.
Oddly enough, his explanation was legit...good post SS.[/quote]

7 wasnt broken, the ball wasnt snapped

jsarno 09-09-2007 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=724Skinsfan;349562]1) I agree about Betts. He scares me sometimes. [/quote]

I like the guy, but don't take a chance of fumbling late in the 4th.

[quote]2) The timeout was not that bad. When you're 3rd and 7, you need to make sure everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe someone noticed that a player was out of position. If they didn't convert then the Miami D gets plenty of time to rest due to change of possession. [/quote]
They called it almost immediately after the previous play, so it wasn't due to someone out of position. It was for to make sure everyone was on the same page, but it didn't work at all. Instead, it gave the Dolphins a better way to rest up to stop us and get on their same page.

[quote]3) I liked the call to go ahead and kick. If they miss, I believe they still have 3 other chances. Why risk a backfield sack, fumble or tackle for loss? If Suisham can't hit a 39 yarder with the game on the line Week 1 is a good time to find out instead of Week 16.[/QUOTE]

Umm, no...once you kick, the play is over no matter what the result. The only way we would have another "shot" at it is if it was a botched snap and we fell on it, but once the kicker touches his foot to the ball, there is no going back, and no more chances. Don't know where you got that, but you do not get 3 chances at it.
Portis was running through their best run defense, he could have easily gotten at least 5-7 more yards.
While I do agree, I want to know if Suisham can handle the pressure, you don't waste 3 downs of probably getting more yardage when your kicker has proven NOTHING.

724Skinsfan 09-09-2007 08:51 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;349573]We don't get another chance if he misses the kick. But if it's a botched snap or the hold is bad, or a penalty. Then it just becomes 2nd down.[/quote]

Or blocked and recovered behind the line of scrimmage, but yeah I was mistaken about getting another try after a missed field goals. Was that ever a rule? I'm still satisfied with going ahead and kicking it rather chance a turnover.

jsarno 09-09-2007 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=Darrell_Green_28;349576]7 wasnt broken, the ball wasnt snapped[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect sir.
[i]7- All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, [b]except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward). [/b][/i]

There were two players moving, and one moving forward.

Darrell_Green_28 09-09-2007 08:54 PM

or possibly get another PI, Holding, false start or some other penalty or even a loss of ydg.

htownskinfan 09-09-2007 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=love them hogs;349491]Oh yeah I missed one.What the hell was up with us getting that B.S false start on the exact same motion play that we drew the other team offsides in the preseason.That exact same shift was not a penalty in the pre-season so why is it a penalty now?[/QUOTE]

differnt refs,that was def bs,I'm sure that play was designed to do that,Gibbs needs to get clarification from the nfl on that

Darrell_Green_28 09-09-2007 08:56 PM

[quote=jsarno;349582]You are incorrect sir.
[I]7- All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, [B]except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward). [/B][/I]

There were two players moving, and one moving forward.[/quote]

Like i said the way that is worded says all players must be stationary at snap. except that one. the ball was never snapped so basically this rule doesnt apply. Though Coach did say he told the Refs that he had a "NO PLAY" Play called and that if they didnt jump offsides he was going to call a time out.