Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you favor stronger celebration penalties? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=53708)

CRedskinsRule 08-07-2013 11:00 AM

Do you favor stronger celebration penalties?

According to this Yahoo report, the NFL is going to add spinning the ball, and home run swings to the unsportsmanlike celebration penalty:
[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-cut-down-even-further-celebrations-because-touchdowns-154343028.html]Y! SPORTS[/url]

[QUOTE]As PFT notes, a variety of celebratory acts are no longer permissible and will result in a penalty: “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing.”[/QUOTE]

If true, it's pretty stupid in my mind. Personally I have always enjoyed the endzone celebrations, and can't even fathom the need for any restriction, assuming of course it doesn't involve a major delay of game, or physical altercations between opponents. And to the extent that you want the kids to really enjoy the game, TD celebrations go a long way to entertaining the youth, ie Cruz's salsa, or Alfmo's home run swing.

Just a dumb move by the NFL in my opinion.

mredskins 08-07-2013 11:05 AM

Re: Do you favor stronger celebration penalties?

I agree seems like a dumb rule as long as their not taunting a another player or delaying the game why stop it...

IMO the Lambo Leap has more potential for danger then say Alfmo's HR swing. Why do they allow the leap?

TheMalcolmConnection 08-07-2013 11:07 AM

Yeah, the stick up the butt syndrome is getting out of control. I really like celebrations...

skinsfaninok 08-07-2013 11:13 AM

celebrations are great especially when they are including fans.

mredskins 08-07-2013 11:14 AM

Seriously though how can the Lambo Leap be legal and a baseball swing by Alfmo illegal?

Fawking No Fun League.

Skinzman 08-07-2013 11:20 AM

I dont mind them cracking down on the taunting type celebrations. Doing in someones face or directed at someone is something Im not much for. However, I think its ridiculous if they go after Cruz for his salsa or Morris for his baseball swing/salute if they are not directed at someone. Fining for a small celebration after a TD by yourself towards the crowd is a joke imo.

NYCskinfan82 08-07-2013 11:24 AM

Yeah sometimes the NFL has no clue.

scowan 08-07-2013 11:37 AM

Spiking the ball is now unsportsmanlike????? Really??? So score you TD and then quietly walk over to your sideline. We don't care if its late in the game and you just helped your team go ahead with less than a minute to play. You can not celebrate while everyone in the stands is loosing their mind with excitement??? This is really stupid and it will result in many many penalties. Does the NFL really think guys are not going to celebrate?

donofriose 08-07-2013 11:54 AM

If the celebration penalty is for non touchdown plays, I have no problem with it. It is annoying watching people spin the ball after a 8 yard catch.

RedskinRat 08-07-2013 11:57 AM

Any celebration that isn't excessive in duration should be ok, if teams don't like it then play harder to stop it happening.

CultBrennan59 08-07-2013 11:59 AM

Expect Santana and Pierre to get lots of fines this season because that's all they do.

skinsfan69 08-07-2013 12:05 PM

I personally can do w/out spinning the ball when you get a first down. I'm old school, just go back to the huddle. But it's completly ridiculous to start flagging for it. And even more ridiculous for home run swinging. Just so tired of the NFL and their BS rules. We already have enough flags being thrown, now this?

SirLK26 08-07-2013 12:10 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1017905]If true, it's pretty stupid in my mind. Personally I have always enjoyed the endzone celebrations, and can't even fathom the need for any restriction, assuming of course it doesn't involve a major delay of game, or physical altercations between opponents. And to the extent that you want the kids to really enjoy the game, TD celebrations go a long way to entertaining the youth, ie Cruz's salsa, or Alfmo's home run swing.[/quote]

I agree with this. Celebrations are some the funniest moments in sports, and taking that away really only hurts the game in the end. As long as they don't delay the game too much and they're not too elaborate, I don't see any problem with celebrations. And if they're taking away Alfred Morris' home-run swing, they better be taking away the bicep-kissing baloney too.

That Guy 08-07-2013 12:11 PM

dumb.

firstdown 08-07-2013 12:11 PM

A great celebration would be taking the ball and rubbing it back and forth over you a$$ (like your wiping yourself) smelling the ball, holding your nose, then handing it to a ref.