Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   wade phillips wow (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=39899)

loveskinsinwv 11-17-2010 09:18 PM

wade phillips wow

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora suggests that former Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips' next landing spot could be Washington as def cor....haslett needs to go ..what do you skins fans think

SFREDSKIN 11-17-2010 09:24 PM

Re: wade phillips wow

I rather have Dick Jauron.

Dirtbag59 11-17-2010 09:24 PM

Mindless speculation on par with Internet Message Boards?

Defensewins 11-17-2010 09:30 PM

If Jason Lacanfora said it, it will definitely not happen. The guy is a mush.

D'BOYZ 11-17-2010 09:30 PM

Good Def Coordinator BAAAAAD HC

tc2deuce 11-17-2010 09:32 PM

really good defense cord.!!

SirClintonPortis 11-17-2010 09:33 PM

JLC should not be a reporter.

mooby 11-17-2010 10:01 PM

Not sure how to feel about this one. It's all just speculation at this point anyways, who knows if we finish the year on an improved note Haslett might not even be going anywhere. We need to wait till the offseason before we start pondering coaching/roster changes anyways.

CultBrennan59 11-17-2010 10:09 PM

I don't think Haslett is That bad, Wade Philips is a good D coordinator, thats what got him the job in Dallas in the first place. I think Wade's defense is more conservative than Hasletts which is why I'd side with Haslett as my DC next year, now if a Ryan brother became our DC next year thats something else.

DCtoAZ 11-17-2010 10:26 PM

where the F does this guy get his info .. i hate JLC .. he sucks donkey balls

Dirtbag59 11-17-2010 10:56 PM

Ironically it wouldn't be a bad move. Haslet is better at motivating then he is X's and O's which is find for a head coach but not exactly what you want from your coordinator.

GusFrerotte 11-17-2010 10:59 PM

Can't have 4-3 personnel run a 3-4 and expect them to be very good at first. The rebuilding process is going to be painfully slow if done right. To think you can right over a decade of mismanagement in a few years is delusional. We are woefully devoid of having any real NFL starting caliber linemen on the offensive side of the ball, and will have to draft a WR, QB, and a RB down the road. Depth on the D is horrid also.

Dirtbag59 11-17-2010 11:02 PM

[quote=GusFrerotte;760075]Can't have 4-3 personnel run a 3-4 and expect them to be very good at first. The rebuilding process is going to be painfully slow if done right. To think you can right over a decade of mismanagement in a few years is delusional. We are woefully devoid of having any real NFL starting caliber linemen on the offensive side of the ball, and will have to draft a WR, QB, and a RB down the road. Depth on the D is horrid also.[/quote]

Still they're not last in the league bad. Landry, Hall, Rogers, Orakpo, Alexander, Carriker, Golston, Daniels, Fletcher, McIntosh all fit the scheme. I personally think it's an X's and O's thing. Maybe they need a true NT as well. Haynesworth is obviously gone after this year. That play he took off was pathetic. Luckily he's been playing well enough on other plays to encourage someone to take him off our hands this offseason.

GusFrerotte 11-17-2010 11:46 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;760076]Still they're not last in the league bad. Landry, Hall, Rogers, Orakpo, Alexander, Carriker, Golston, Daniels, Fletcher, McIntosh all fit the scheme. I personally think it's an X's and O's thing. Maybe they need a true NT as well. Haynesworth is obviously gone after this year. That play he took off was pathetic. Luckily he's been playing well enough on other plays to encourage someone to take him off our hands this offseason.[/quote]

I don't have anything against the 3-4, just seems we went from being a decent pass defense to a sieve from the change over. The players aren't comfortable with the schemes or something. The D is just devoid of depth. If Rogers or Hall goes down we are screwed. Same for Landry. Our D line is OK, but they are old. We need to inject youth into our team ASAP.

Gmanc711 11-17-2010 11:51 PM

I'll give Haslett the rest of the year to judge him. I know the transition is not easy to make from a 4-3 to a 3-4....but if things keep up, I'd certainly be open to it.

DCtoAZ 11-17-2010 11:57 PM

The point is ... Jlc has no clue about the info regarding wade coming to dc ... That's just complete rumor mill bs

SouperMeister 11-18-2010 12:46 AM

Phillips is probably one of the three best 3-4 defensive coordinators in the business. If Shanny thinks he can get more out of this defensive group, then I would definitely be in favor of brining Wade here.

LavaRnChad 11-18-2010 04:09 AM

I think Wade would turn our defense into a real NFL defense. Haslett is a bum.

44ever 11-18-2010 07:15 AM

SirClintonPortis isn't going to like this thread ;)

I personally would not mind having Wade here, and would not be surprised to see it happen.

SmootSmack 11-18-2010 07:57 AM

It's only because we just gave up close to 60 and Wade and Shanahan are friends who have worked together before that these rumors are popping up. Defensive coordinators are always on the hot seat with Shanahan. But I think Mike Zimmer was, and will continue to be the top choice and Slowik will probably be a high choice as well

SolidSnake84 11-18-2010 08:05 AM

I'm betting that Haslett is not brought back by the coaching staff. His defense has just performed too poorly, IMO. Phillips would be an instant upgrade.

44ever 11-18-2010 08:15 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;760097]I'm betting that Haslett is not brought back by the coaching staff. His defense has just performed too poorly, IMO.[B] Phillips would be an instant upgrade[/B].[/quote]

Yeah, Wade doesn't really bring any momentum. But that does not mean he wouldn't fit here. Then again Haslett might not go anywhere. It will be interesting to see what happens here. It would be nice if things would sort out and we can stop the personnel changes around here. I personally hope Haslett is given enough time to get things going. I'm not for dumping him just yet.

SolidSnake84 11-18-2010 08:40 AM

One thing is for sure, we need to blow up the roster after this season is over. Even if we manage to squeak out a 8 and 8 or 9 and 7 playoff season, we have an OLD team and definatley won't get lucky again next year.

We need a youth movement in Washington....

44ever 11-18-2010 08:43 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;760123]One thing is for sure, we need to blow up the roster after this season is over. Even if we manage to squeak out a 8 and 8 or 9 and 7 playoff season, we have an OLD team and definatley won't get lucky again next year.

[B]We need a youth movement in Washington[/B]....[/quote]

Without a doubt.

#56fanatic 11-18-2010 08:53 AM

This is crazy. The season is half over, and all ready supposed rumblings of a new DC? At least when he was in Dallas, he know he didn't have the horses to run the 3-4 right away. This is the Redskins mentatlity. It is absolutely ridiculous. Keep the guy for a couple of years, get the players needed for the damn defense then make judgements. All you people asking for his head are just crazy. The constant turnover in personel, coaching is what causes all this shit. Keep the guy, build a team, then judge.

freddyg12 11-18-2010 09:09 AM

What has really annoyed me is that hearing in the preseason about how the secondary isn't affected much by the transition, that they're either playing zone or man & don't have to learn anything in the 3-4.

I understand that, but it's been in the secondary that opposing qb's & wr's have made so many plays to move the chains & score. I know some of that is the coverages w/the LBs as well & the pass rush has sucked aside from when Rak was on a tear early (or we play the bears). Still, the personel doesn't seem as much the problem.

I wonder what Haslett would do if he could make all decisions. That's why it's hard to blame it all on Haslett. You have to figure that Shanahan is not giving him the autonomy that GW had under Gibbs. Would he start Haynesworth at DE if he could? The espn crew made a good & obvious point about Haynesworth coming in on monday, we were already down 2 td's. If he was in on the first play maybe that pocket collapses & Vick doesn't make that throw.

dmek25 11-18-2010 09:28 AM

coming off a bye week and giving up all that is just piss poor preparation. the old Snyder would have fired Haslett on the spot. im not sure of the reasoning behind the switch to the 3-4, but its pretty obvious we don't have the right pieces. good coaches make their schemes fit their people, not make their people fit the scheme. kind of like a round peg into a square hole type of thing. i don't like what the defense brings to the table

SBXVII 11-18-2010 09:40 AM

[quote=GusFrerotte;760075]Can't have 4-3 personnel run a 3-4 and expect them to be very good at first. The rebuilding process is going to be painfully slow if done right. To think you can right over a decade of mismanagement in a few years is delusional. We are woefully devoid of having any real NFL starting caliber linemen on the offensive side of the ball, and will have to draft a WR, QB, and a RB down the road. Depth on the D is horrid also.[/quote]

Yeah this is what baffles me. Fans are quick to call for Haslett's job but they don't stop to think more then likely his boss M.Shanahan instructed him to run the 3-4. When MS was hired he specifically said he took the year off and studied which defense worked best and he felt it was the 3-4 and he was going to use the 3-4. So when Haslett was hired it was under the understanding the 3-4 would be used, and since we don't have all the right personel to run a 3-4 it will take more then one offseason to fix.

People just don't think. I'm also betting whoever would replace Haslett would not do any better if left with the same personel and told to run a 3-4. For those who want to be mad that the team switched to a 3-4 ... look to the HC for blame. Haslett has run a 4-3 while with the Saints and Rams. I'm sure he would have been just as happy to run the 4-3 especially since he has more 4-3 personel. But when your boss tells you to do something a specific way you have 2 choices.... either start doing it and making changes and hope for the best or don't take the job. In any event some other shmuck would be sitting here running the 3-4 and everyone bashing him calling for his job too.

Skins fan 44 11-18-2010 09:45 AM

If it means we sweep Dallas then I am all for it. Who else knows their O better?

SBXVII 11-18-2010 09:48 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;760076]Still they're not last in the league bad. Landry, Hall, Rogers, Orakpo, Alexander, Carriker, Golston, Daniels, Fletcher, McIntosh all fit the scheme. I personally think it's an X's and O's thing. Maybe they need a true NT as well. Haynesworth is obviously gone after this year.[B] That play he took off was pathetic[/B]. Luckily he's been playing well enough on other plays to encourage someone to take him off our hands this offseason.[/quote]

I know excuses are like A-holes but in the interest of defending AH he said the guy to his left hit his leg and gave him a charlie horse. Looking at the video the guy to his left did in fact hit AH's thigh with his knee and AH did immediatly fall to the ground. If the media would run the play to its end you also would have seen AH trying to hobble off the field limping.

Throughout the game AH was getting a decent 3-5 yrd push on the Center but the Eagles started using the RG to chip AH on every play. What I noticed is AH is good if he is going North and South. He gets pushed or hit East to West and he's not effective any more. This is exactly what the Eagles did Mon. night. While AH was attacking the Center head on the RG would get a good shove or chip shot from AH's left causing AH to lose momentum or fall to his right.

#56fanatic 11-18-2010 09:50 AM

The questions i have is our defense is so bad at giving up yards and big plays, it would seem to reason to be much more aggressive at getting to the QB. I know we tried that early in the season, and didn't work to well. But, we are dead last in the NFL, so what would it hurt to employ a blitz heavy defense, play more cover zero, let Carlos and Hall play more man to man which both seem to want to do. the rush 3 or 4 stuff isn't getting the QB, and the zones we play are getting picked apart. I just remember when buddy ryan took over teams, he immediately made them better. Regardless of personel because he sent the house pretty much everydown and said you may beat me once in a while, but I am going to be on top of your qb and creating havoc. GW did it here his first couple of years, because he didn't have a ton of talent on the D side but blitzed like crazy to mask the problems else where. It is just a thought. Having your secondary cover a guy for 2 less seconds a play is better than having them getting eaten up by having to cover for 3 to 4 seconds every play. I know this may not be a popular post, but like i said how could we get worse. I see teams around the NFL line up 6 guys and send the house and QB's are getting hit, forced into quick throws, making bad choices. Seems like our D is reacting to plays vs dictating the plays.

SBXVII 11-18-2010 09:52 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;760096]It's only because we just gave up close to 60 and Wade and Shanahan are friends who have worked together before that these rumors are popping up. Defensive coordinators are always on the hot seat with Shanahan. But I think Mike Zimmer was, and will continue to be the top choice and Slowik will probably be a high choice as well[/quote]

Good info I didn't know but I thought part of the reason M.Shanahan was fired was cause he refused to fire his DC in Denver? I have not looked but does anyone know how many DC's Shanahan has worked with? I kinda thought he only had 2 while in Denver and the first got fired after a very long stint and then MS picked the guy we got. When the owner wanted him fired MS said no.

SBXVII 11-18-2010 09:59 AM

[B]56[/B], your ideas seem good but might not have worked with the Eagles. D.Jackson is a speedster and Hall nor Carlos were going to keep up with him. The team did a nice job of jamming the WR's at the line of scrimmage in the first game. I think they were banking on that happening again and the Eagles figured a way around that. On the first play of the game Hall tries to jam DJ and if you watch DJ was ready for it and side stepped it and was gone. The only thing Hall could do 5 yards back was point to DJ in hopes the Safety would take him. I assume Landry was watching the QB and saw DJ late and tried to get over to make the play.

[B]Edit: [/B]I'm of course refering to you saying that the CB's should be playing more man to man.

#56fanatic 11-18-2010 10:02 AM

[quote=SBXVII;760152][B]56[/B], your ideas seem good but might not have worked with the Eagles. D.Jackson is a speedster and Hall nor Carlos were going to keep up with him. The team did a nice job of jamming the WR's at the line of scrimmage in the first game. I think they were banking on that happening again and the Eagles figured a way around that. On the first play of the game Hall tries to jam DJ and if you watch DJ was ready for it and side stepped it and was gone. The only thing Hall could do 5 yards back was point to DJ in hopes the Safety would take him. I assume Landry was watching the QB and saw DJ late and tried to get over to make the play.

[B]Edit: [/B]I'm of course refering to you saying that the CB's should be playing more man to man.[/quote]

On that play it looks to me that Hall was letting him go, covering the underneath in a short zone, leaving Landry covering deep. Which is what Vick and DJ even said after the game. This was a designed play to score, not just a big gain. Vick said we did exactly what they anticipated.

SBXVII 11-18-2010 10:05 AM

I think the simple answer is we need to rebuild and make better our OL and DL. It kinda sounds weird coming from me since all through the Gibbs era I advocated a better QB, better WR's, and so on. Give a decen QB all day to throw and even with mediocre WR's he'll pick you apart. Hopefully MS brings in a better Center and RT either through the draft (which I prefer) or FA.

Our DL is not that great either. Which is why we don't get the push you see from the Jets or the Ravens.

rbanerjee23 11-18-2010 10:08 AM

link? Also, no way that is happening

SBXVII 11-18-2010 10:10 AM

[quote=#56fanatic;760153]On that play it looks to me that Hall was letting him go, covering the underneath in a short zone, leaving Landry covering deep. Which is what Vick and DJ even said after the game. This was a designed play to score, not just a big gain. Vick said we did exactly what they anticipated.[/quote]

and your right obviously but I think the team still banked on our CB getting a better jam at the line on all the WR's to slow them down. They exposed what we fans have screamed for years.... Landry is not a FS. He needs to be closer to the line or what they finally changed to after we went down by 4 TD's. Haslett changed up what he was doing and used the same defense he used on the Colts. Event he announcers mentioned it. Landry's job changed to being a spy for Vick.

In a nut shell it seems in the last few game the Skins have spotted teams 1 or 2 TD's and would come back after the half and pull the game out or make it close. The Eagles figured if they could score fast and get ahead far enough we wouldn't be able to come back. Ta Da.

skinster 11-18-2010 10:24 AM

I think that Haslett and Wade are very similar D-coordinators. They both try to put up alot of sacks/picks, but both give up alot of yards and points in the process. Wade is better at it though.

GhettoDogAllStars 11-18-2010 10:45 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;760055]I rather have Dick Jauron.[/quote]

I'd rather have LeBeau :biggthump

DIEHARD1980 11-18-2010 10:46 AM

i would love it. he is an awesome defensive coordinator. maybe not a good head coach but he can put a defense together. bring him in now!!!!!!!!!!!