Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins | Team conducts pre-draft visit with McIntosh (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12215)

That Guy 04-24-2006 07:57 AM

Redskins | Team conducts pre-draft visit with McIntosh

[B]Redskins | Team conducts pre-draft visit with McIntosh[/B]
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:47:37 -0700
Paul Strelow, of the Spartanburg Herald-Journal, reports the [URL="http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl"]Washington Redskins[/URL] conducted a pre-draft visit with Miami LB [URL="http://www.kffl.com/player/13955/nfl"]Rocky McIntosh[/URL] Friday, April 21.

4th highly rated LB (this guy is a 2nd rounder though, demeco is a 1st and howard or D'Qwell could go in either the 1st or 2nd, but probably before our pick).

also looked at a few CBs (cromartie - 1st, ??? 1st, mcpherson 3rd)
and TE fasano (2nd-3rd)

That Guy 04-24-2006 08:02 AM

Re: Redskins | Team conducts pre-draft visit with McIntosh

[B]Redskins | Team worked out J. Lay[/B]
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:33:12 -0700

Mike Bires, of the Beaver County Times Allegheny Times, reports Pittsburgh CB Josh Lay said he has previously worked out for the Washington Redskins. Lay is expected to be a late-round pick in the NFL Draft.

3rd-4th rounder... though later on its easier for guys to fall.

6'0", 197lbs, 4.48, 40.5" vert

Schneed10 04-24-2006 08:12 AM

[quote=That Guy][B]Redskins | Team worked out J. Lay[/B]
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:33:12 -0700

Mike Bires, of the Beaver County Times Allegheny Times, reports Pittsburgh CB Josh Lay said he has previously worked out for the Washington Redskins. Lay is expected to be a late-round pick in the NFL Draft.

3rd-4th rounder... though later on its easier for guys to fall.

6'0", 197lbs, 4.48, 40.5" vert[/quote]

This dude sounds physical.

That Guy 04-24-2006 08:18 AM

GW likes big corners.. i seriously think if you're not 6'0" with ups there's no need to apply ;)

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 08:52 AM

Cromartie. Now.

dirthogs311 04-24-2006 09:14 AM

anyone think we are going to take mcintosh if he falls to us? and if we do will he start?

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 09:16 AM

I think we have our eyes on a few LBs and will maybe even wait to take whoever is available. I also could see us moving up to take a CB if one of them is available in a later round.

BrudLee 04-24-2006 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=dirthogs311]anyone think we are going to take mcintosh if he falls to us? and if we do will he start?[/QUOTE]
We very well may take him. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a player that we had ranked higher fall to us though, if only because someone always drops in the draft. Last year, most "experts" had Aaron Rodgers going in the top three, and he made it to 24.

As for starting, I think the hallmark of the Gregg Williams LB corps is discipline. I don't think anyone is completely safe from benching (except Washington) if the guy behind him performs exactly the way GW wants him to. That's difficult for a rookie LB to do.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 09:35 AM

I still see the Skins maybe pulling a move to drop down into the lower second round. I see at least 2-3 great prospects falling to that position where (god forbid, but it might happen) we trade our first NEXT year for a second this year to take a CB and then take an LB for our original pick.

dirthogs311 04-24-2006 10:24 AM

What about this Lay guy? What is it about him that interests Gibbs & Co. and what about Fasano?

dmek25 04-24-2006 10:26 AM

i really hope mcintosh comes to washington.in our system could be another great product coming out of the U

Daryl Elite 04-24-2006 11:14 AM

Why would we want a computer on our team?

/I keed I keed

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 11:36 AM

Haha. Very nice Daryl, very nice indeed.

That Guy 04-24-2006 12:16 PM

[quote=dirthogs311]What about this Lay guy? What is it about him that interests Gibbs & Co. and what about Fasano?[/quote]

i think mcintosh and fasano are the fallback options if the others are gone by that point. It looks like we're probably sticking with our pick, though we have looked a 3rd round cbs and 1st round LBs and CBs...

dirthogs311 04-24-2006 12:48 PM

[quote=That Guy]i think mcintosh and fasano are the fallback options if the others are gone by that point. It looks like we're probably sticking with our pick, though we have looked a 3rd round cbs and 1st round LBs and CBs...[/quote]

So what are you suggesting?? If Jackson and Cromartie fall to the second we move up?? Or if they go in the second we stay put. Who do you think our ideal pick is??

SkinsFanSince91 04-24-2006 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection]I think we have our eyes on a few LBs and will maybe even wait to take whoever is available. I also could see us moving up to take a CB if one of them is available in a later round.[/QUOTE]
we have depth at LB, albeit that they are unproven, sometimes you have to give people a chance to play. WE have almost no corners, so Im lookin to get a CB first. However, CB is a hot commodity, so we may have to take the best available LB, OG/OT, or DT when we are called up.

That Guy 04-24-2006 01:52 PM

[quote=dirthogs311]So what are you suggesting?? If Jackson and Cromartie fall to the second we move up?? Or if they go in the second we stay put. Who do you think our ideal pick is??[/quote]

I'm not really sure what the plan is. i guess the hope is someone just falls to us and we sit still and take whoever's there. I really hope we don't give away next year's picks to get an early 2nd and/or mid 3rd this year.

If cromartie falls he might be worth it, but he had estimated 4.3x speed but he ran 4.47 at the combine coming off an injury. He might get that speed back or he might not (he did run 4.38 at his pro day, which helps with concerns, even if pro day times can be a bit biased towards the players).

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 01:57 PM

Yeah, that's why I think if Cromartie is there early in the second round, we possibly use next year's pick, grab him and then wait for the linebacker that falls to us.

dirthogs311 04-24-2006 02:08 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection]Yeah, that's why I think if Cromartie is there early in the second round, we possibly use next year's pick, grab him and then wait for the linebacker that falls to us.[/quote]

Ya but there arent going to be that many great LB's falling to us in the 5th round.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 02:12 PM

No, no. We trade our first round pick of 2007 to move into the early 2nd round. Stay at #53 and take the best LB available.

dirthogs311 04-24-2006 02:19 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I made special teams.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-24-2006 02:23 PM

[quote=dirthogs311]YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I made special teams.[/quote]

I got mail, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

"Special" teams. Very nice sir. :)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-24-2006 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=dirthogs311]What about this Lay guy? What is it about him that interests Gibbs & Co. and what about Fasano?[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about this Lay guy. In fact, I've never heard of him.

As for Fasano, he's highly touted. Fasano is a great all-round tight end. He's a great blocker (unlike some of the other TEs who will go higher) and a pretty good receiver. He doesn't pose the same receiving threat that guys like Davis do, but he's solid. He's also got something going for him insofar as Notre Dame runs a pro-style offense under Weiss.

I think Fasano would be a solid pick, but given our lack of depth at other positions I'd say we go in a different direction.

GTripp0012 04-24-2006 05:12 PM

I think I said this in an earlier thread, but barring a guy fall who wasn't expected, Fasano is really the only guy who fits our offensive system so perfectly to win a starting job in training camp. Any other pick would be drafting for the relatively near future.

That Guy 04-24-2006 06:28 PM

if we go 3wide fasano doesn't play... I formation (2WR, 1 TE), he wouldn't be in... and in 2 TE sets, fauria might still win out the #2 spot. while he's a decent fallback, and he'd improve our 3 TE (short yardage) a bit, its not really used that often. He could be better than fauria this year or next, but i don't think the difference would be as great as a good LB or CB would bring.

GTripp0012 04-24-2006 08:32 PM

[quote=That Guy]if we go 3wide fasano doesn't play... I formation (2WR, 1 TE), he wouldn't be in... and in 2 TE sets, fauria might still win out the #2 spot. while he's a decent fallback, and he'd improve our 3 TE (short yardage) a bit, its not really used that often. He could be better than fauria this year or next, but i don't think the difference would be as great as a good LB or CB would bring.[/quote]

Well, it would say something about the base package if we did draft Fasano. Cooley will never be a true TE, but he could be a solid fullback with impressive recieving skills. Fasano would gradually, if not imediately replace Fauria. They might both be on the field in goalline, with Cooley playing the wing and Sellers in the backfield.

I still don't believe that the arrival of Saunders means that there will be a completely different offensive philosophy. We still could/should operate out of the base 2 WR, TE, HB, RB formation. Just like the Shotgun was added last year, the spread goes in this year. 3rd down and long yardage.

The need for a blocking TE is a neccessity. The Christian Fauria of 2002 would be more than adequate, but is that the guy we signed? Only time will tell.

This doesn't mean I now think they will take Fasano. I still think they are going LB. But with the emphasis on winning now, I do think Fasano could help this team more than a CB could.