Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Offseason Roster Moves Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64553)

mooby 12-30-2019 02:26 PM

Offseason Roster Moves Thread

We should have a place to talk about roster moves that need to happen independent of the coaching/FO thread.

Here's my breakdown of what moves need to be made:

QB: Haskins is obviously solidified as the starter, do we re-up Keenum as the backup and/or McCoy? I like McCoy but I'm letting him walk. Possibly candidate to draft a backup in the later rounds if there's someone they like. Alex Smith should stay on the reserved/injured list for another year or possibly retires as a post-June 1st move?

RB: Guice will be back but between him, Bryce Love, and AP we're looking at an aging running back surrounded by two injury question marks. I'd bring in a late round rookie to compete with Love for the 3rd down back. I like Chris Thompson but he's probably leaving too.

WR: McLaurin, Harmon, and Steven Sims are safe. I didn't see enough out of Trey Quinn to bring him back so he can walk. If I'm Rivera, I bring in a solid possession guy to replace Harmon as the #2 and bump Harmon to #4 just so there's a veteran presence to help guide the young guns along (as well as give Haskins a solid veteran option to rely on).

TE: Arguably the #1 biggest hole on the roster. Reed should retire and Vernon Davis' contract is up, and Sprinkle is underwhelming. I would go after a veteran option through FA or trade, then draft another option to be the #2, cut Sprinkle and bring back Hale Hentges to fight for a roster spot.

O-line: The key decision here is do we bring back Trent for a year or two? Bringing him back allows us to postpone making a move for a year minimum. We should be able to resign Ereck Flowers to a decent deal, and assuming Chase Roullier returns the next big ? is do we resign Scherff to a big deal or let Wes Martin take his spot? I thought Martin looked decent in his limited action so maybe they decide to save money there. I'd like to replace Morgan Moses but there are bigger needs so that's not a priority. We also need to evaluate where we're going with Geron Christian. He obviously didn't impress enough to not bring in Donald Penn on the left side.

-----------------
Defense:

Assuming Rivera/Wilks brings the 4-3 with him this is where it gets tricky. Personnel decisions will have to be made based on what type of scheme they like to run. Just as a guess but let's say they want to beef up the d-line and move to a speedier LB corps that can cover well as well as get to the line quick to stop the run. If they do that we are looking at:

D-line: Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis are solidly entrenched as starters. I bump Tim Settle up to starting next to Payne on the interior and bring in another DT as a reserve. Not sure who the reserve ends should be but they'll make a move or two to shore that up.

LB: This is where it gets really tough. Do we stick with Ryan Anderson in the middle despite how underwhelming the D was this year? Do we bring back Kerrigan? Where does Sweat fit in? Do we move Sweat to end and push Jonathan Allen inside? Sweat is too much of a tweaner right now so he would need to bulk up to 280-300 to play line.

Maybe Rivera/Wilks stick with the 3-4 given the personnel we have. If we do that though I would hope they look at drafting a mike who could replace Ryan Anderson as d-playcaller. We haven't had a great mike since Fletcher and everybody knows middle linebacker is basically the qb of the D. Anderson can still play the other mike spot. Reuben Foster may or may not be good but with his history I'm not counting on him to play 16 games next year.

Secondary: More incoming changes here although I'm hopeful with Wilks background maybe these guys just need some coaching up. Norman should be gone because the salary is not worth the production. Dunbar will be back at 1 corner, maybe Fabian Moreau solidifies the other outside job and Jimmy Moreland locks up the slot corner. Obviously Landon Collins will be back at SS but I'm definitely looking at replacing Nicholson at free.

P/K/LS: Good to see Tress Way get rewarded with an extension, I like Hopkins and Sundberg has been fine as LS.

-------------------
The draft:
If the Bengals are stupid enough to pass on Joe Burrow I'm selling the #2 to the highest bidder. If he goes #1 and Chase Young declares Young is the heavy favorite. If Young doesn't declare we have several options, including that LT to replace Trent.

2-3 rounds: No 2nd rounder. 3rd-7th BPA.

A summary of our current picks:
Round 1: Washington
Round 2: None
Round 3: Washington
Round 4: Washington
Round 5: Washington
Round 6: None
Round 7: Washington, Denver

SolidSnake84 12-30-2019 06:08 PM

Re: Offseason Roster Moves Thread

I don't see Keenum being back next year, he could probably go somewhere and at least get a chance to compete to be starter. McCoy will land wherever Jay Gruden goes to coach, nobody knows Jay's system better than Colt.

I do believe it was already reported that Jordan Reed planned to retire.

As far as RB goes, i'd think AP is in his last year or two as an active player. He is probably going to want to go somewhere to chase a super bowl. I'm not sure if Bryce Love will be able to play in 2020, but i don't think he will. Guice is probably going to be ok but it might be smart to have him on a pitch count for a while to test his durability. I would think if he tears an ACL / MCL again, his career is probably in jeopardy. We need a competing back for sure. Chris Thompson won't be here...

Warthog 12-30-2019 06:26 PM

Guice needs a backup RB to share the carries during a game. His injury history preludes his use as a 25-carry a game RB.
AP May stay to finish out his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warthog 12-30-2019 06:32 PM

Sorry to see Jason Reed go, but 7 concussions is enough for a lifetime and any more could hurt him for the rest of his life.

I also see Vernon Davis gone. We need youth and pass-catching power and blocking ability at TE. I beat we’ll spend some cap money on the best TE FA available. That and draft a TE. Haskins needs a premium TE for the red zone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 12-30-2019 08:26 PM

[quote=mooby;1241237]We should have a place to talk about roster moves that need to happen independent of the coaching/FO thread.

Here's my breakdown of what moves need to be made:

QB: Haskins is obviously solidified as the starter, do we re-up Keenum as the backup and/or McCoy? I like McCoy but I'm letting him walk. Possibly candidate to draft a backup in the later rounds if there's someone they like. Alex Smith should stay on the reserved/injured list for another year or possibly retires as a post-June 1st move?

RB: Guice will be back but between him, Bryce Love, and AP we're looking at an aging running back surrounded by two injury question marks. I'd bring in a late round rookie to compete with Love for the 3rd down back. I like Chris Thompson but he's probably leaving too.

WR: McLaurin, Harmon, and Steven Sims are safe. I didn't see enough out of Trey Quinn to bring him back so he can walk. If I'm Rivera, I bring in a solid possession guy to replace Harmon as the #2 and bump Harmon to #4 just so there's a veteran presence to help guide the young guns along (as well as give Haskins a solid veteran option to rely on).

TE: Arguably the #1 biggest hole on the roster. Reed should retire and Vernon Davis' contract is up, and Sprinkle is underwhelming. I would go after a veteran option through FA or trade, then draft another option to be the #2, cut Sprinkle and bring back Hale Hentges to fight for a roster spot.

O-line: The key decision here is do we bring back Trent for a year or two? Bringing him back allows us to postpone making a move for a year minimum. We should be able to resign Ereck Flowers to a decent deal, and assuming Chase Roullier returns the next big ? is do we resign Scherff to a big deal or let Wes Martin take his spot? I thought Martin looked decent in his limited action so maybe they decide to save money there. I'd like to replace Morgan Moses but there are bigger needs so that's not a priority. We also need to evaluate where we're going with Geron Christian. He obviously didn't impress enough to not bring in Donald Penn on the left side.

-----------------
Defense:

Assuming Rivera/Wilks brings the 4-3 with him this is where it gets tricky. Personnel decisions will have to be made based on what type of scheme they like to run. Just as a guess but let's say they want to beef up the d-line and move to a speedier LB corps that can cover well as well as get to the line quick to stop the run. If they do that we are looking at:

D-line: Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis are solidly entrenched as starters. I bump Tim Settle up to starting next to Payne on the interior and bring in another DT as a reserve. Not sure who the reserve ends should be but they'll make a move or two to shore that up.

LB: This is where it gets really tough. Do we stick with Ryan Anderson in the middle despite how underwhelming the D was this year? Do we bring back Kerrigan? Where does Sweat fit in? Do we move Sweat to end and push Jonathan Allen inside? Sweat is too much of a tweaner right now so he would need to bulk up to 280-300 to play line.

Maybe Rivera/Wilks stick with the 3-4 given the personnel we have. If we do that though I would hope they look at drafting a mike who could replace Ryan Anderson as d-playcaller. We haven't had a great mike since Fletcher and everybody knows middle linebacker is basically the qb of the D. Anderson can still play the other mike spot. Reuben Foster may or may not be good but with his history I'm not counting on him to play 16 games next year.

Secondary: More incoming changes here although I'm hopeful with Wilks background maybe these guys just need some coaching up. Norman should be gone because the salary is not worth the production. Dunbar will be back at 1 corner, maybe Fabian Moreau solidifies the other outside job and Jimmy Moreland locks up the slot corner. Obviously Landon Collins will be back at SS but I'm definitely looking at replacing Nicholson at free.

P/K/LS: Good to see Tress Way get rewarded with an extension, I like Hopkins and Sundberg has been fine as LS.

-------------------
The draft:
If the Bengals are stupid enough to pass on Joe Burrow I'm selling the #2 to the highest bidder. If he goes #1 and Chase Young declares Young is the heavy favorite. If Young doesn't declare we have several options, including that LT to replace Trent.

2-3 rounds: No 2nd rounder. 3rd-7th BPA.

A summary of our current picks:
Round 1: Washington
Round 2: None
Round 3: Washington
Round 4: Washington
Round 5: Washington
Round 6: None
Round 7: Washington, Denver[/quote]

I would put an asterisk next to any judgement on our defensive players.

Like "[I][U][B]*[/B]Under one of the [B]worst DC in Football history[/B], let's see how it goes with a good defensive coach[/U][/I]".

Like [I][U]ILB[/U][/I] is not worrying me one bit. I'd be really curious to see what a [I][U]Bostic-Holcomb-SDH-Anderson rotation[/U][/I] would give us if coached well.

[I][U]Secondary[/U][/I] sure needs some fresh talent, but it might not be as bad as it looks. Ie, [I][U]Nicholson still has 1 year left on his rookie contract (700k)[/U][/I], I'm curious to see if a contract year under a new defensive minded coach brings the best out of him.

SFREDSKIN 12-30-2019 09:16 PM

I would start by:

Resigning Scherff

Cut:
Norman
Richardson
Davis
Reed
McCoy
Penn

Trade:
Kerrigan
Ryan Anderson (might be odd man out due to switch to 4-3)
TW depending on what happens with him

FrenchSkin 12-30-2019 09:50 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1241311]I would start by:

Resigning Scherff

Cut:
Norman
Richardson
Davis
Reed
McCoy
Penn

Trade:
Kerrigan
Ryan Anderson (might be odd man out due to switch to 4-3)
TW depending on what happens with him[/quote]

I'd give Ryan Anderson a shot at switching to a 4-3 OLB just because of how well he progressed despite such bad coaching.

DYoungJelly 12-30-2019 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1241313]I'd give Ryan Anderson a shot at switching to a 4-3 OLB just because of how well he progressed despite such bad coaching.[/QUOTE]Anderson would be an awesome strong side lb in a 4-3. I'm the mold of Spikes for NE from a few years ago.

He is really strong and really smart. He's a natural fit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ruhskins 12-31-2019 12:05 AM

Provided that Chase Young is drafted and there is indeed a move to the 4-3, wouldn't our d-line have both Young and Sweat as D-Ends with a rotation of J. Allen, Payne, and Ionnidis as DTs? I guess you could throw Settle in that rotation of DTs as well.

jamf 12-31-2019 12:20 AM

Don’t forget about Ruben Foster at ILB.

SFREDSKIN 12-31-2019 12:58 AM

Here’s a good article on the possibility of moving to 4-3

[url]https://riggosrag.com/2019/12/30/reports-redskins-could-switch-to-4-3-base-defense-in-2020/[/url]

AnonEmouse 12-31-2019 05:36 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1241326]Here’s a good article on the possibility of moving to 4-3

[url]https://riggosrag.com/2019/12/30/reports-redskins-could-switch-to-4-3-base-defense-in-2020/[/url][/quote]

Barring a blockbuster trade (how many of those happen any more?) and the Bungles being insane enough to pass on Burrow, it would be pretty hard to not take Young. In that case Kerrigan is trade bait, and as article says that gives us a 6 man situational rotation on DL; Sweat, Allen, Ioinnidis, Payne, Settle and Young. The DC & DL coaches should be salivating at the scheming that allows.

Given performance this season, I'd only draft an MLB for depth if he's BPA when we pick mid rounds. Needs in the secondary outweigh replacing serviceable LB's we already have.

Norman is gone or back on a reduced contract (unlikely). I'd say that means we need a 3rd or 4th rounder on CB. I'd look in FA for a new FS and have a 3 way competition for starter with them, MN and Apke; I agree Nicholson 'might' improve in a contract year but do you want a guy that only plays to potential then? Maybe Apke is now ready to step up?

On O, I'd say the only pressing need is OL and TE, with maybe the latter more important. Moses is not going to get better though, and if we trade TW, we need to replace both tackles, so I agree with looking at a TE in FA this year. Draft a top TE talent next year.

I agree with depth at RB just in case, but AP is still signed and RB by committee has worked in a number of places. If DB and BL are injury free next year, who knows.

6 picks (excluding trades), so I'd say Young, CB, OL, OL, LB, RB. If we can maybe get a 2nd/3rd & 3rd for TW and RK, then I'd go best CB or OL in 2nd then maybe pick up a TE or FS with the 'spare' pick.

FA is hard to predict this year as the only guys I'd go after are probably going to be resigned by their current teams, particularly OL. Maybe we get lucky and Hooper/Henry are available, which might solve our TE problem for a year or 2, feeing up a pick for another need.

Chico23231 12-31-2019 06:57 AM

[quote=DYoungJelly;1241315]Anderson would be an awesome strong side lb in a 4-3. I'm the mold of Spikes for NE from a few years ago.

He is really strong and really smart. He's a natural fit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/quote]

This.

Chico23231 12-31-2019 08:45 AM

Mooby....nice list and analysis.

As the offseason begins, Im gonna pull out each area to look review.

Off the top of head:

1. Come up with a plan for the Oline going forward. LT and Trent issue needs to be resolved. Schreff contract to be resolved. Flowers, Roullier and Martin...young guys with a future, how they fit in.

2. Tight End position completely rebuilt with focus on balance. Guys need to be able to both block and catch.

3. Secondary....Free Safety and Corner will need help. How will new scheme affect the future...Are we a press or zone primary coverage unit?

4. RB injuries. Guice and Love have talent...coming off major injuries. We need to add a younger, healthy body.

5. Can we find an X receiver to pair outside with Terry?

6. If we go base 4-3 where does everyone fit? Usually need a deep LB core.

SunnySide 12-31-2019 01:33 PM

2020 Cap:

212M - expected adj cap
47M - free cap space currently on the books

Anticipated Departures:

12.5M - Josh Norman, 15.5M cap hit w 3M dead
11.6M - Ryan Kerrigan, no dead money
12.5M - Trent Williams, 14.5 hit, 2 dead
[U]8.8M -[/U] Jordan Reed, 10.3 hit, 1.8 dead (his retiring may give more cap relief)

45.4M in anticipated addl cap

------------------------------

92.4M = (47 + 45.5) Cap plus anticipated Cap Space w/out resinging/extending

--------------------

Anticipated Resigning/Tag/Extend:

15M - Scherff, effective cap hit should be less than this but lets assume worst case
4M - Flowers (still not sold on him as a long term answer to LG)
5M - Penn (not a long term option)
2M - Bergstrom, hes 34 but servicable, will probably be less than 2
2M - Bostic

28M total for anticipated resigning

-------------------

[B]64.4M = (92.4 - 28) anticipated cap left over after letting guys go and resigning others (includes Scherff) [/B]

[url]https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/2020/[/url]

** Alex Smith 21.4M cap hit with another 32.2M guaranteed after 2020 really really fucking sucks. Thanks Bruce and Dan.