Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Problems at the core (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16617)

irish 01-01-2007 06:56 PM

Re: Problems at the core

This organization is riddled with problems from top to bottom. Everyone is at fault from Danny & Gibbs down to the players. The sad fact is this organization is closer to being the Cards than it is to being a top NFL franchise.

onlydarksets 01-01-2007 11:36 PM

OK, we suck. I thought this quote was funny, though:
[QUOTE]The general manger who disliked Lloyd didn't want Duckett either, calling him "a fat, underachieving running back."[/QUOTE]

The Huddle 01-02-2007 12:24 AM

[quote=irish;265869]This organization is riddled with problems from top to bottom. Everyone is at fault from Danny & Gibbs down to the players. The sad fact is this organization is closer to being the Cards than it is to being a top NFL franchise.[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Amen. Every year its the same story.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think that if the 2007 Redskins do not make the playoffs, Joe Gibbs and his entire staff should be fired. The fifth year of his contract can be bought out- there’s no point in enduring this debacle past next season. At that point a GM would be brought in, the organization would be restructured before a new coach is hired, and we can start over yet again.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have nothing but respect and admiration for Gibbs and what he's meant to this franchise, but that sort of sentiment is beside the point. At some point its got to stop mattering what you did 20 years ago. It doesn’t matter that you’re one of the most decent men the game has ever known, or that your players “fight their guts out”, or that many observers are willing to concede you’re still a great coach despite a growing body of evidence to the contrary.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]At some point you either need to win, or shut up and go away. One more season like this and we will have reached that point.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Joe Gibbs is now three full seasons into his comeback and, with the exception of a brief, sudden surge near the end on 2005 that helped the team snag a wild card slot in the playoffs, Gibbs II has been one big fat disappointment. Come on, be honest- if, on the day of Gibbs’s return, someone had walked up to you and said that in three years Gibbs’s team would be no better off than Steve Spurrier’s second and final edition (5-11) you’d have laughed in their face. But that’s exactly what’s happened. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Yes, Gibbs did have the Redskins in the playoffs last year, but in retrospect that’s looking more and more like an anomaly- a plucky 5-6 team in a weak division that got hot for a month or so. Sure, it was nostalgic watching the way the running game carried the Skins down the stretch, but in retrospect was last year’s team really [I]that[/I] good? Outside of the aforementioned 5 game winning streak, Washington is a flat-out sorry 16-27 the last three years. In addition to that one playoff appearance, they have two finishes in the division basement. If you’re still a believer, the last five weeks of the 2005 season make for a mighty flimsy hook to be hanging your hopes on.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]One more year.[/SIZE][/FONT]

SouperMeister 01-02-2007 12:24 AM

[quote=squrrelco3;265834]Absolutely...you guys should see the posts on the WP website in response to this article...those people are frightfully vicious at blaming Gibbs...now I'll be the first to say that he's not 100% perfect and he does bear some responsibility..but ever since 1997 when he bought the team, Synder and Vinny have been the one constant...everyone in the NFL knows Vinny is Godawful at evaluating talent and Snyder isn't much better but his own ego won't let him get out of the way.[/quote]
Gibbs is President and has final say on all football operations, even over Snyder. I feel that the fanbase lets Gibbs off the hook too easily and makes Snyder a convenient scapegoat. The Danny only asks Gibbs for a list of players he needs, then closes the deal. Let's not delude ourselves - Gibbs deserves most of the blame for this disaster of a season.

mike340 01-02-2007 01:15 AM

Okay, so you want to discount what Gibbs has done here on his return and say that the end of last year was a fluke. I guess they were also lucky last year that they were in almost all the games. The only ones they lost by more than 7 points were the blowout in NY and the final loss to Seattle in the playoffs. In addition, the Redskins had one of the two hardest schedules in the NFL last year. (The Chargers were the other team near us in this statistic.)
This year Springs was out a lot and Prioleau was out the whole year. This killed us, since Williams's defense is predicated on being able to pressure the QB, but we couldn't afford to blitz since we didn't have any cornerbacks. If we pick up Clements we may be OK. (I don't know how good he is, I just know he's the best one available.) Rogers seems to play OK when he doesn't play frightened. Let's hope they can get this turned around next year.

The Huddle 01-02-2007 11:20 AM

[quote=mike340;265943]Okay, so you want to discount what Gibbs has done here on his return and say that the end of last year was a fluke. I guess they were also lucky last year that they were in almost all the games. The only ones they lost by more than 7 points were the blowout in NY and the final loss to Seattle in the playoffs. In addition, the Redskins had one of the two hardest schedules in the NFL last year. (The Chargers were the other team near us in this statistic.)
This year Springs was out a lot and Prioleau was out the whole year. This killed us, since Williams's defense is predicated on being able to pressure the QB, but we couldn't afford to blitz since we didn't have any cornerbacks. If we pick up Clements we may be OK. (I don't know how good he is, I just know he's the best one available.) Rogers seems to play OK when he doesn't play frightened. Let's hope they can get this turned around next year.[/quote]

Close games and tough schedules don't matter. Wins are the only thing that counts.

I don't think anyone wants to "discount what Gibbs has done here on his return"- the fact is, what he's "done" is go 21-27 with one playoff appearance and two losing seasons in three years.

Your arguement about the defense definately has some merit but can't explain away a 5-11 record. Yes, those loses hurt, but every team suffers injuries, and good teams find a way to adapt and overcome them. Springs and Prioleau are good players but a lot of people (not necessarily you) are trying to turn them into the second coming of Darrell Green and Kenny Houston and it's just not so.

As I said earlier, I've got no problem with giving Gibbs II a fourth year, but if we sit through another disappointing season in 2007 does anyone really want to see a fifth?

Redskins8588 01-02-2007 03:45 PM

"• Redskins WR Santana Moss said he and QB Jason Campbell expect to spend a lot of one-on-one time together in the offseason on their own, working on developing a rapport in the passing game that wasn't always there after Campbell took over the starting job."

This is what all of our skilled players or atleast all of our WR's need to do. Hell I would love it if Espy, ARE, and Patten joined in also. That would help our offense alot next year. Oh and throw Cooley in there too...

TheMalcolmConnection 01-02-2007 04:01 PM

Speaking of Patten, if he can stay healthy, I hope he stays. I can see Campbell getting him the ball more than Brunell ever did.

SmootSmack 01-02-2007 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;266279]Speaking of Patten, if he can stay healthy, I hope he stays. I can see Campbell getting him the ball more than Brunell ever did.[/QUOTE]

Patten is arguably my favorite receiver on the team (yeah I don't know why either) but I sure don't know why we threw to him twice at the end of the game Saturday night.

dmek25 01-02-2007 04:06 PM

why doesnt he play more? is it strictly a numbers thing? he probably will be back. doesnt he have a low salary?

TheMalcolmConnection 01-02-2007 04:07 PM

[quote=TAFKAS;266282]Patten is arguably my favorite receiver on the team (yeah I don't know why either) but I sure don't know why we threw to him twice at the end of the game Saturday night.[/quote]

I thought they said something about Moss not being in at the time? I think what they've talked about all season is that if they see single coverage in any situation, they throw that direction because they're confident in all the receivers.

brent 01-02-2007 05:28 PM

That was probably the best article in the P in the last 10 years. Makes you really love and appreciate the ins & outs of pro football.

skinsfan69 01-02-2007 06:08 PM

[quote=mike340;265943]Okay, so you want to discount what Gibbs has done here on his return and say that the end of last year was a fluke. I guess they were also lucky last year that they were in almost all the games. The only ones they lost by more than 7 points were the blowout in NY and the final loss to Seattle in the playoffs. In addition, the Redskins had one of the two hardest schedules in the NFL last year. (The Chargers were the other team near us in this statistic.)
This year Springs was out a lot and Prioleau was out the whole year. This killed us, since Williams's defense is predicated on being able to pressure the QB, but we couldn't afford to blitz since we didn't have any cornerbacks. If we pick up Clements we may be OK. (I don't know how good he is, I just know he's the best one available.) Rogers seems to play OK when he doesn't play frightened. Let's hope they can get this turned around next year.[/quote]

What was so impressive about the winning steak? Beating Dallas and NYG was great. But beating Ariz, Philly (w/out Mcnabb) and STL (w/out Bulger) is not very impressive to me. And I'm so tired of this Springs injury talk. EVERY NFL TEAM HAS INJURIES. Springs has a history with injuries so the FO should have known that and anticipated him getting hurt. Philly is missing their franchise QB and best pass rusher but they STILL won the division anyway. And what does a cornerback have to do with Tiki Barber, Steven Jackson,Cadilac Williams and Travis Henry trampling our defense? Gibbs deserves all the blame and if you ask me he gets one more year. Enough is enough.