Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Report: Garnett to Celtics Almost Done (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19049)

SmootSmack 07-30-2007 04:03 PM

Report: Garnett to Celtics Almost Done

[url=http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/?p=117]BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Celtics Insider» Blog Archive » Sources saying Garnett deal is done[/url]

mredskins 07-30-2007 04:17 PM

Re: Report: Garnett to Celtics Almost Done

I am nervous about this deal. I like Al Jefferson but I think we deserve to give Pauly Walnuts a chance at a title. I feel like I am going to love this team for like two years then it will be just the worst team i nthe NBA (not that it already isn't).

jsarno 07-30-2007 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;334418][url=http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/?p=117]BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Celtics Insider» Blog Archive » Sources saying Garnett deal is done[/url][/QUOTE]

While I like the idea for the immediate future, the long term would suck. We're giving up too much for him...especially if we can't sign him. (isn't his contract up after this season?)

mredskins 07-30-2007 04:31 PM

I am hoping part of the deal is he signs a long term contract with us. IF he walks after one season I would cry giving up all those guys. BTW- Ireally like Ryan Gomes I hate to see him go.

jsarno 07-30-2007 10:16 PM

My brother called me (he still live in Boston) and heard on the radio that the trade is a done deal, and the details will likely be disclosed soon. (which usually means tomorrow.)

SmootSmack 07-30-2007 10:19 PM

Yeah, supposedly all that's pending is working out some contract details with KG and he's on a cruise or something like that.

I think the Celtics are giving up a bit too much if in fact the deal includes a first round pick, Ryan Gomes, Rajon Rondo, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, and Gerald Green.

Besides who is going to get the ball to KG, Pierce, and Allen?

jsarno 07-30-2007 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;334601]Yeah, supposedly all that's pending is working out some contract details with KG and he's on a cruise or something like that.

I think the Celtics are giving up a bit too much if in fact the deal includes a first round pick, Ryan Gomes, Rajon Rondo, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, and Gerald Green.

Besides who is going to get the ball to KG, Pierce, and Allen?[/QUOTE]

Well, I have mixed emotions. This will certainly vault the C's into the elite in the East, but for how long? I really have concerns for the long haul. We are putting all our eggs into one basket, and that basket has roughly a 3 year window if we're really good.

CooleyAsCanBe 07-31-2007 12:30 AM

I agree that this is not a move to secure the team's long-term success, but going to the Eastern Conference finals is a real possibility now, even if it will all crumble in a few years a la Miami Heat. At least Ainge is going for it.

CooleyAsCanBe 07-31-2007 12:32 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;334601]Besides who is going to get the ball to KG, Pierce, and Allen?[/quote]

They'll get plenty of touches, especially since they're the only three players left on the roster.

EARTHQUAKE2689 07-31-2007 12:32 AM

Ok they are giving up way too much if they keep Gerald Green then I do it.

jsarno 07-31-2007 12:50 AM

[QUOTE=EARTHQUAKE2689;334662]Ok they are giving up way too much if they keep Gerald Green then I do it.[/QUOTE]

It really would have been nice if they left Jefferson off too, but that was their main guy anyway to do this trade.
If they kept him though, they could have played KG at center, and Jefferson at PF.
Oh well...at least KG is a massive player...not some Ray Allen type...oops. hehe.

dmek25 07-31-2007 07:42 AM

smooty, i disagree. the Celtics gave up alot of bodies, not players. Ryan Gomes is a good young player, but thats it. while i love Theo Ratliff, the man cant play a full 82 game season. the Celtics got a proven scorer and rebounder

MTK 07-31-2007 08:10 AM

Wow, the Celts are loading up for a run. They just might be fun to watch again.

SmootSmack 07-31-2007 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=dmek25;334721]smooty, i disagree. the Celtics gave up alot of bodies, not players. Ryan Gomes is a good young player, but thats it. while i love Theo Ratliff, the man cant play a full 82 game season. the Celtics got a proven scorer and rebounder[/QUOTE]

Are the Wolves getting Rajon Rondo? I think he could be key. If the Celtics keep him, they could be ok.

Anyone else feel really old seeing McHale and Ainge being instrumental in a major trade involving the Celtics, but not as players; instead as the guys who orchestrated the deal?

dmek25 07-31-2007 10:09 AM

i do. and when i read about Bill Walsh passing, and thinking back to all the great 49er/redskin games. they were all played in the mid to late 80's