Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Offense: What's the Problem? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26632)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-17-2008 12:07 AM

Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Our offense has scored 16 points in the last two weeks, for an average of 8 points per game. Our offense hasn't scored more than 18 points since we played the Eagles in week 5. Our offense has sputtered against the Rams, Browns, Steelers and Cowboys. In short, this offense has serious, serious problems.

So my question is, what's the problem? The line, the receivers, the playcalling, or some combination thereof?

MTK 11-17-2008 12:09 AM

Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

I think it comes down to the fact that the offense goes as Clinton Portis goes. Right now he's just not right, and as a result the entire offense just isn't right.

steveo395 11-17-2008 12:13 AM

Offensive line is the problem. They are good in run blocking, but the pass blocking is pretty bad...mostly Rabach and Jansen

Beemnseven 11-17-2008 12:14 AM

Before tonight's game, the Redskins passing game was ranked 18th in the NFL overall, and they're at #25 in the league in terms of passing yardage.

So even with a good running game, the last two games notwithstanding, we still have really no semblance of a decent passing attack.

Last year, the protection was better, but our QB was still learning. Now, our QB is progressing nicely, but our pass protection has gone to complete shit.

Usually, a championship team has all facets of the game come together at the right time. We just haven't seen that with the Redskins.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-17-2008 12:14 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;501602]I think it comes down to the fact that the offense goes as Clinton Portis goes. Right now he's just not right, and as a result the entire offense just isn't right.[/quote]

I'd agree, but Portis was racking up loads of yards against the Rams, Browns, and Lions and yet our scoring and passing offense struggled in each of those games.

Frankly, I have issues with the playcalling. Zorn's going to be just fine, but he's turned very, very conservative in these past few weeks. Some would say pass protection is the problem, but I say our pass protection woes are largely a function of our reluctance to go deep.

SmootSmack 11-17-2008 12:14 AM

We really seem to struggle in the short field and tight spaces. And our line blows

Gmanc711 11-17-2008 12:16 AM

Its the line. They're just very good, plain and simple. Jansen got beasted again tonight, and outside of Samuels, theres alot of guys who are not pulling their weight, Jansen is just the easiest to pick on.

DynamiteRave 11-17-2008 12:17 AM

I think it's a combination of the offensive line and the receivers. Even though Portis wasn't 100% tonight he was still making beastly plays. The run sets up the pass.

Exhibit A shows that there was absolutely no pass protection tonight. Campbell might as well have been running around with a RB, FB, TE and 2 WRs. Rabach absolutely stinks as a center. It's time for him to kick bricks. Jansen as well. I'm willing to keep Thomas, Kendall and Samuels and start rebuilding from there. Maybe investing in some good younger guys since Kendall and Thomas are up there in age.

Exhibit B is the fact we don't have anyone to compliment Moss. Like I was saying in the other thread, Moss is our bread and butter and while ARE is good, I think he fits better as a #3, he's a burner. A guy to come in, speed by the nickle guy, and make a play. Someone else pointed out Brandon Lloyd was brought in to be our #2 (and we all know how that ended), and looks like we never filled that void.

During the off-season we need to completely rebuild the offensive line (excluding those I mentioned earlier) and try to bring in a #2.

Beemnseven 11-17-2008 12:19 AM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;501610]I'd agree, but Portis was racking up loads of yards against the Rams, Browns, and Lions and yet our scoring and passing offense struggled in each of those games.

Frankly, I have issues with the playcalling. Zorn's going to be just fine, but he's turned very, very conservative in these past few weeks. Some would say pass protection is the problem, [B]but I say our pass protection woes are largely a function of our reluctance to go deep[/B].[/quote]

Huh? It's exactly the other way around. We can't go deep because the linemen aren't protecting Campbell long enough for the receivers to GET deep.

SirClintonPortis 11-17-2008 12:22 AM

I have to say it's the O-line. There's simply no time for Campbell to go deep when fast pass rushers are chasing him down(i.e DeMarcus Ware).

JWsleep 11-17-2008 12:22 AM

I agree with Beem here. It's the line. Zorn himself said he had to change his playcalling to deal with the lack of pass pro. And he pointed out that several plays where they went short actually have a first read deep. JC is getting pressure and saving what he can. He does not have time to sit back and let a long route develop. So he goes short. The screens were called to try to relieve some of the pressure. If the line could block, you wouldn't need to do that.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-17-2008 12:25 AM

[quote=DynamiteRave;501614]During the off-season we need to completely rebuild the offensive line (excluding those I mentioned earlier) and try to bring in a #2.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with your first point, but strongly disagree with your second point. We've brought in David Patten, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly to become our #2 wideouts. Spend money on free agent linemen and linebackers and try to develop Kelly and Thomas. Bringing in a new wideout to play #2 would mean that either Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas would be relegated to the #5 wideout, James Thrash would be cut and Fred Davis wouldn't see the field until he got put on another team. Moss, Portis, Cooley, ARE, Davis, Kelly and Thomas should be enough weapons for Campbell.

SouperMeister 11-17-2008 12:28 AM

[quote=JWsleep;501622]I agree with Beem here. It's the line. Zorn himself said he had to change his playcalling to deal with the lack of pass pro. And he pointed out that several plays where they went short actually have a first read deep. JC is getting pressure and saving what he can. He does not have time to sit back and let a long route develop. So he goes short. The screens were called to try to relieve some of the pressure. If the line could block, you wouldn't need to do that.[/quote]With 3 second round draft picks, we could have, and probably should have used one to address the O-line. This team has serious issues on both lines. The offensive line can't protect the QB for anything greater than a 3 step drop, and the D-line can't pressure the opposing QB without blitzing. Consider this - the Redskins haven't drafted an O or D lineman before the 3rd round since Chris Samuels in 2000. You reap what you sow...

DynamiteRave 11-17-2008 12:31 AM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;501627]I wholeheartedly agree with your first point, but strongly disagree with your second point. We've brought in David Patten, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El, Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly to become our #2 wideouts. Spend money on free agent linemen and linebackers and try to develop Kelly and Thomas. Bringing in a new wideout to play #2 would mean that either Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas would be relegated to the #5 wideout, James Thrash would be cut and Fred Davis wouldn't see the field until he got put on another team. Moss, Portis, Cooley, ARE, Davis, Kelly and Thomas should be enough weapons for Campbell.[/quote]

I see your point, but I also hear people saying Thomas isn't an NFL caliber receiver (which I disagree with, but I sorta have a crush on the guy. Hope he starts developing), Kelly I've almost completely forgotten about, Thrash is also getting the term, "not NFL caliber" thrown around... Plus he's a little on the old side. And Fred Davis isn't even seeing the field anyway (which is bugging me a little as well).

To me it seems like we've brought in a bunch of "maybes" and no "definitelys" and what sucks even worse, is there's no real way to tell because most of these guys hardly get any playing time.

Beemnseven 11-17-2008 12:33 AM

[quote=SouperMeister;501630]With 3 second round draft picks, we could have, and probably should have used one to address the O-line. This team has serious issues on both lines. The offensive line can't protect the QB for anything greater than a 3 step drop, and the D-line can't pressure the opposing QB without blitzing. [B]Consider this - the Redskins haven't drafted an O or D lineman before the 3rd round since Chris Samuels in 2000. You reap what you sow[/B]...[/quote]

Bingo -- Bammo.

They haven't drafted a defensive lineman in the first two rounds since Kenard Lang in 1997.

What, did they just think they can go around the league to other teams' trash heaps for all the D-linemen they need?