Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Taylor Jacobs watch (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13068)

dmek25 07-17-2006 03:11 PM

Re: The Taylor Jacobs watch

i dont like thrash or jacobs, but if one has to stay, it will be thrash. decent on special teams and a church going veteran

SmootSmack 07-17-2006 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=backrow]So, are you in the minority who says TJ only has a 25% chance of staying?

I agree with those who say 50/50, and if we carry six WRs.[/QUOTE]

Yup 25%, because you know what?...

Training Camp 2006 Ataveus Cash Bandwagon...All Aboard!

Monkeydad 07-17-2006 03:27 PM

As a WR...goner for sure.

As a Special Teams player....I'll give him "unlikely" to "so-so".

12thMan 07-17-2006 04:05 PM

I'm pretty much in the minority here. I gave TJ a 75% chance of making the squad.

I think that you have to factor in people getting nicked up during camp or preseason. Which doesn't exclude Jacobs given his history of consistently getting banged up.

Secondly, I don't think you can discount Gibbs' loyalty.
While I don't think that Gibbs favors individuals, per se, I do think he favors character and other intangibles. And according to many inside Redskins Park, Jacobs has at least those things in his favor. I guess we'll see, but if this guy shows up a little bit he'll be on this squad.

SmootSmack 07-17-2006 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=12thMan]I'm pretty much in the minority here. I gave TJ a 75% chance of making the squad.

I think that you have to factor in people getting nicked up during camp or preseason. Which doesn't exclude Jacobs given his history of consistently getting banged up.

Secondly, I don't think you can discount Gibbs' loyalty.
While I don't think that Gibbs favors individuals, per se, I do think he favors character and other intangibles. And according to many inside Redskins Park, Jacobs has at least those things in his favor. I guess we'll see, but if this guy shows up a little bit he'll be on this squad.[/QUOTE]

Here's the thing though. Maybe TJ does have character but that doesn't separate him from the other guys he's competing with for that 4th or 5th WR spot. He's not going up against a bunch of talented a-holes.

12thMan 07-17-2006 04:14 PM

[quote=TAFKAS]Here's the thing though. Maybe TJ does have character but that doesn't separate him from the other guys he's competing with for that 4th or 5th WR spot. He's not going up against a bunch of talented a-holes.[/quote]

That's why I said if this guy steps up a little bit. I really think it's his spot to lose....again. (by a little bit, I really didn't mean it litterally:)

skinsfanthru&thru 07-17-2006 04:18 PM

he should be gone already but they will probably keep him around til the last second in case of an injury during camp and he also didn't do to bad on special teams.

Schneed10 07-17-2006 04:21 PM

I don't think there is any way in hell that Joe Gibbs keeps him at this point in his career. We have 4 receivers now capable of running routes and getting open against DBs who run a 4.3. Our 5th WR absolutely has to bring value to Special Teams, otherwise it's a wasted roster spot. Thrash is much more valuable on teams.

I'm shocked that more people don't think he's a goner for sure. No way in hell he's a 'Skin in 2006.

724Skinsfan 07-17-2006 04:22 PM

I voted 75% only because I think we'll keep 6 receivers.

Schneed10 07-17-2006 04:32 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan]I voted 75% only because I think we'll keep 6 receivers.[/quote]

At the expense of what position? Linebacker? DB? FB/TE?

I don't think so. If you keep 6 WRs you'll be forced to drop a spot at LB, DB, or FB/TE that you were carrying last year. I'm not sure where Gibbs would be willing to sacrifice.

Beemnseven 07-17-2006 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=724Skinsfan]I voted 75% only because I think we'll keep 6 receivers.[/QUOTE]

On a Joe Gibbs coached team? There's not a chance in hell they keep 6 wideouts. To have that many, means that you keep one less offensive lineman, tight end, you name it, off the roster every game. For a team that's expected to use 2 or 3 wideouts at most through most of any game, plus have enough room on the active roster to use Cooley, Fauria, a backup running back and full back -- not to mention a defensive coach that depends on multiple defensive backs -- there's just not enough room for 6 WRs.

Ghost 07-17-2006 04:44 PM

If I were to make a prediction, it would be that TJ will look great for about 10 minutes on the first day of training camp, and then he'll blow out his hamstring or pull an abdominal muscle and not do anything for several weeks. Then he will finally be cut and we can all stop wondering whether or not this guy is a bust. He is, IMO. I'm saying he's got zero chance, a goner for sure. I don't see the Skins keeping 6 WRs and he probably won't be able to take advantage of fortuitous injuries -- because if a Redskins WR is going to get injured in camp, my money's on TJ being that guy. Plus he reminds me of the bad old days of Spurrier and his so-not-ready-for-the-NFL Gators ... so long, kimosabe.

12thMan 07-17-2006 04:46 PM

[quote=Ghost] ... so long, kimosabe.[/quote]

I've always wondered how to spell kimosabe:)

offiss 07-17-2006 04:48 PM

I gave him a 75% as well, I just don't feel that anyone outside the skins knows for sure what he's capable of, he is now going to get a crack in not only a real NFL offense but what will become a great NFL offense, the verdict will be out after this season.

TJ is a pretty good specials guy himself but we know Thrash is one of the best on coverage teams, as well as being one of Gibbs's favorite guy's, but I do believe TJ's reciveing skills are far an above Thrash's, I like TJ's chances but it's not a slam dunk, he has a lot to prove right now, but what can't be ingnored are the comments by his peers, such as Bailey, who stated that TJ is maybe the toughest player he had to cover, and Portis who has said TJ is the best player in the NFL to never see the field. Those are very strong and bold comments, there has to be something with this guy to make players say that, I just don't think his talent has been utilized yet.

joecrisp 07-17-2006 04:49 PM

As most everyone here knows, I was a BIG believer in Jacobs's potential. But his consistent underachievement as a WR when the live bullets start flying, combined with his penchant for injury, have made him a huge disappointment in my eyes.

However, that doesn't mean he's a sure bet to be cut. He does have some things working in his favor. As others have mentioned, the guy possesses all the intangible qualities that Gibbs looks for in a player, he's got some special teams value, and he's always been one of the most consistent, hard-working players in practice (when he's not injured, that is).

That's why I'd put his chances of making the final roster at 50-50.

Some other reasons Jacobs could make it:[LIST][*]Patten, like McCants before him, is not a special teams contributor, and therefore if he does not supplant Lloyd or Randle-El among the top 3 wideouts, he would most certainly be on the bubble, as the 4th, 5th and 6th (if they keep that many) receivers are expected to be solid special teamers. Essentially, if you're not a top 3 wideout on this roster, you'd better be a top 11 special teamer.[*]Jacobs is significantly younger than Patten or Thrash, and therefore still has a trace of upside[*]Jacobs has a lower salary cap value than both Thrash and Patten[*]While the cap hit for releasing Patten would be pretty significant, the hit for releasing Thrash would be slightly less than the hit the team would incur for cutting Jacobs, so releasing Thrash would make more financial sense[/LIST]
But I also have a very hard time seeing Gibbs part with Thrash, so realistically I would put Jacobs's chances at a little less than 50-50-- maybe more in the realm of 40% that he stays. Though if he misses anything more than a day or two of training camp due to injury, I'd say he's a goner for sure. He's got to be the iron man of training camp to make the roster, and he's got to show he's a better value than Thrash.