Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Taylor Jacobs watch (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13068)

724Skinsfan 07-21-2006 11:37 AM

Re: The Taylor Jacobs watch

[quote=TAFKAS]That Guy is pulling his hair out right now reading this post, haha. TG, would you like to field this question?[/quote]

There's no way That Guy is going to respond to this post.

Now that I've said that it shouldn't be a big deal

PSUSkinsFan21 07-21-2006 11:39 AM

[quote=TAFKAS]That Guy is pulling his hair out right now reading this post, haha. TG, would you like to field this question?[/quote]

I think we need a running banner at the top of the page to avoid any confusion. Othewise, TG is going to go nuts.

12thMan 07-21-2006 11:47 AM

[quote=Wanga Skins]Would it be financially smart to keep Jacobs on the practice squad? I mean at this point we would already have to absorb his contract for this season and this would leave us with a guy who knows the offense and players on our team better than any free agent wideout. I know we are starting out with more quality depth at WR than last year but it wouldn’t hurt to be able to pull Jacobs off the practice squad to fill in for WR or ST duty barring an injury.[/quote]

I know everyone's having fun with this..but TJ has too many years to be on the PS.

724Skinsfan 07-21-2006 11:49 AM

[quote=12thMan]I know everyone's having fun with this..but TJ has too many years to be on the PS.[/quote]

12thMan is hands down the nicest poster on this forum.

12thMan 07-21-2006 11:51 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan]12thMan is hands down the nicest poster on this forum.[/quote]

You kiddin' me?

724Skinsfan 07-21-2006 11:58 AM

[quote=12thMan]You kiddin' me?[/quote]

yes

724Skinsfan 07-21-2006 11:58 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan]yes[/quote]

no

Wanga Skins 07-21-2006 12:00 PM

[quote=12thMan]I know everyone's having fun with this..but TJ has too many years to be on the PS.[/quote]
Sorry everyone, and thanks 12th for clearing it up for me, I didn't know the rules :smashfrea.
I was just trying to suggest an alternate way to keep him around. That being said he should definitely be cut over the likes of Patten and Thrash. I will now walk away from the Jacobs discussions.

12thMan 07-21-2006 12:00 PM

no problemo

dmek25 07-21-2006 01:59 PM

this is almost like a reoccuring nightmare. 6 full pages about someone that should have been cut 2 seasons ago. its easy to see its the off season

724Skinsfan 07-21-2006 02:22 PM

[quote=dmek25]this is almost like a reoccuring nightmare. 6 full pages about someone that should have been cut 2 seasons ago. its easy to see its the off season[/quote]

Yes, but can you see that the football related talk has picked up. We're getting ready. I liken it to waiting a long time out on the ocean for the perfect wave. Just sort of floating along, maybe a little wary of undersea predators from time to time. Boredom and frustration start to sink in. Finally, the wait is over. The most glorious wave starts to build. Let's go! It's time to ride this wave in.

GoSkins! 07-22-2006 11:40 PM

The only way he makes it is if he beats out Randle El as a wide receiver, if we keep six receivers, or if someone gets hurt. The guy has talent, but seems more than a little soft. wonder if Saunders can find a way to get him to live up to his potential.

vaoutlaws2006 07-23-2006 07:17 AM

all i can say about taylor jacobs is...........what has he ever done for us? think about that for a sec...the answer is nothing productive.

That Guy 07-23-2006 10:30 AM

man, i missed my entrance :( oh well, thanks for covering.

[url=http://www.tampabaybuccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=4553]The Buc's Answer Man, Series 2, Vol. 19[/url]
[I]"Each team is allowed eight players on its practice squad (it expanded from five to eight last year), and each team makes full use of that option. Those players are not on the active roster, are not eligible to play in games and do not make salaries commensurate with the players on the 53-man squad (though they are compensated relatively well on a weekly basis).

Basically, and fittingly, players on the practice squad are allowed to practice. This roster bonus is designed to provide teams with two things: 1) Additional practice help, as teams often are short players due to injuries during the season; and 2) A spot to hold onto “raw” players who could eventually develop into a player worthy of a regular roster spot.

To become eligible to play in a game, a player has to terminate his practice squad contract and sign with a team’s active roster. You actually see that happen quite a bit. Just off the top of the Answer Man’s head, concerning the Bucs only, I can think of such examples as Aaron Stecker, Corey Ivy, Chartric Darby, Edell Shepherd and Ian Smart.

One note, a player on a practice squad is still a free agent of sorts. That is, he can at any time sign with the active roster of any team, even when he is on another team’s practice squad. The purpose of this is to make sure that a player isn’t taking away a greater opportunity by agreeing to sign with a practice squad."[/I]

In addition, a player may only be on a practice squad if he has 2 years or less of NFL experience (a year constitutes being on a team's payroll (as either a practice squad member or on the active roster) for a total of 9 games or more in one season, even if the player never sees the field). A practice squad player cannot play a single down unless he is first signed to the 53 man active roster. So keeping Jacobs on the practice squad would mean he would not be able to play special teams (if he was even elligible in the first place, which he's not). Also, Jacobs would be a likely target to be signed to the active roster of a truley terrible team once an injury occured (again, assuming he could even be placed on the practice squad, which isn't currently possible).

maybe i should do a cap and NFL roster rules summary for the blog or as part of a site FAQ....

12thMan 07-24-2006 08:42 AM

Hey, I have nothing to add - I just want to see this thread keep going:)