Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Military Appreciation Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41585)

mooby 02-22-2011 11:44 PM

Military Appreciation Thread

I did a search to see if there was something similar to this, but since I can't find anything I'm going to go ahead and post this. This thread is just to thank all service members, past and present, home or overseas, for everything they do to keep our country safe from harm. I know people that think being a soldier means all you have to do is walk around with a rifle and shoot bad guys, but now that my brother is a little more than halfway through bootcamp at Parris Island to become a Marine I have a much greater sense of appreciation for all the hard work and time they put in to be able to call themselves a soldier. It truly is a lot of hard work and there isn't a single step that is easy along the journey, it's 13 straight weeks of grueling training but I do believe in the end it'll be worth it.

Basically like I said the entire reason for this thread is so I can freely express my true appreciation for everything these guys do for us, and that which we take for granted. As far as I can recollect, I know Angry is a past service member so I hope he reads this as well, and feel free to pass it on to any family or friends that have served as well. It's not much, but I feel like it's the least I can do. I just wanted to get this off my chest in a public forum.

Thank you.

Monkeydad 02-23-2011 12:55 PM

Re: Military Appreciation Thread

Thanks for posting this. Even if it had already been a thread, there can never be enough of these thank-yous to them.

I always wanted to serve like my father, grandfather and great-grandfather (all saw time in major wars), but I have some physical limitations. I've tried to get into a civilian job like in finance or computers, but it's tough. They do the right thing and hire vets from within...they do deserve the positions.

I echo the thanks to all who serve in any capacity. Without you, our lives would be far different and worse off. I'm trying to teach our son this lesson and gratitude to service men. My wife told me that they were in a diner and sat across from an older vet who was wearing a cap denoting his service...she had my son thank him and they had a nice chat. Made me proud. He's only 3, but I want him to know that they're truly the "good guys" (age appropriate/understandable term for him) and we should thank them always.

BuckSkin 02-23-2011 10:29 PM

As a member of the military it is always an honor to be extended your gratitude. It's tough for veterans and service members to reply to a thread like this because we also value humility. Some may think that my post is a way of asking to be aknowledged, but I couldn't let your thanks to go unanswered.... So thank you for your appreciation.

Thank you, too -to a cranky a** Staff Sergeant

Monkeydad 02-24-2011 10:03 AM

Thank you, Buck Skin. I know you were "just doing your job", but it's the most honorable job in the world...one that not everyone can or will do. We really do appreciate it more than you can know from these words on your screen.

MTK 02-24-2011 10:07 AM

Good thread mooby, I think we all have someone in our family who served and they definitely deserve our appreciation.

mlmpetert 02-28-2011 10:11 AM

Much thanks to all those who serve.

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/ap_on_re_us/us_obit_last_wwi_veteran]Last living US WWI vet dies in W. Va. at age 110 - Yahoo! News[/url]

He was 16 when he enlisted:

In spring 2007, Buckles told the AP of the trouble he went through to get into the military.

"I went to the state fair up in Wichita, Kansas, and while there, went to the recruiting station for the Marine Corps," he said. "The nice Marine sergeant said I was too young when I gave my age as 18, said I had to be 21."

Buckles returned a week later.
"I went back to the recruiting sergeant, and this time I was 21," he said with a grin. "I passed the inspection ... but he told me I just wasn't heavy enough."

Then he tried the Navy, whose recruiter told Buckles he was flat-footed.
Buckles wouldn't quit. In Oklahoma City, an Army captain demanded a birth certificate.

"I told him birth certificates were not made in Missouri when I was born, that the record was in a family Bible. I said, 'You don't want me to bring the family Bible down, do you?'" Buckles said with a laugh. "He said, 'OK, we'll take you.'"
He enlisted Aug. 14, 1917, serial number 15577.

firstdown 02-28-2011 10:45 AM

Here in the tidewater area we are surrounded by service members and I often take the time to thank them for their service. We also need to remember the wifes and children that get left behind for months at a time. It never gets old watching the news as they show the arrival of a ship and the reunion of families. To see the children's face light up as they see dad/mom for the first time in 6 months (priceless).

dmek25 03-01-2011 02:01 PM

i always thank those who are in uniform. these outstanding men and women let me do my thing every day under the blanket of their security. thanks again and GO USA

Alvin Walton 03-01-2011 06:55 PM

I did five years in the Coast Guard....I should have stayed in and stayed in Alaska and retired, amazing what my life might have been in if I did that.

firstdown 03-02-2011 01:08 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;786999]I did five years in the Coast Guard....I should have stayed in and stayed in Alaska and retired, amazing what my life might have been in if I did that.[/quote]

Ever stationed in Tidewater area?

Alvin Walton 03-02-2011 02:46 PM

[quote=firstdown;787149]Ever stationed in Tidewater area?[/quote]

Nope, just Kodiak, Adak and Holland, Michigan.

TheSmurfs22 03-02-2011 07:37 PM

My dad served two terms in Vietnam, my brother-in-law is currently in the Army is is my brother who has already done six tours in his 15 years in the Army. Yeah maybe it gets overused but it is true, these guys and gals are our TRUE heroes and warriors.

TheSmurfs22 03-02-2011 07:38 PM

These guys who served in WWI and WWII were studs. I hope we never ever forget what all they did for the US and the world.

mlmdub130 03-02-2011 07:52 PM

[quote=TheSmurfs22;787235]These guys who served in WWI and WWII were studs. I hope we never ever forget what all they did for the US and the world.[/quote]

amen to that, what those guys went through and the conditions they dealt with were and are the definition of true heroism and should NEVER be forgotten or taken for granted.

mooby, any idea where your bro is going after camp?

MTK 03-03-2011 10:17 AM

[url=http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/veteran-55590-wwi-age.html]Last US veteran of WWI dies in W. Va. at age 110 | veteran, wwi, age - Gaston Gazette[/url]

mooby 03-05-2011 07:47 AM

[quote=mlmdub130;787237]amen to that, what those guys went through and the conditions they dealt with were and are the definition of true heroism and should NEVER be forgotten or taken for granted.

mooby, any idea where your bro is going after camp?[/quote]

No idea man, he was a truck mechanic before he joined the Marines and that's his MOS so I'm assuming it'll be to another school to continue training there. It should be easy for him because he's been working on trucks for over a couple years now.

He's gotta get out of bootcamp first though, and that's not easy. They're putting him through the paces daily and I've seen the boot camp "schedule" and it's definitely not easy.

BuckSkin 03-11-2011 09:24 PM

The United States has 36,000 Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen stationed in Japan along with their families. I ask that you remember and pray for their safety tonight. Warpath member "hagams" is a member of the USMC stationed at Okinawa... Godspeed.

skinsfaninok 03-12-2011 12:14 PM

My nephew just started basics at Fort Ben GA, I wish h
The best and thank all that have served! You deserve it

budw38 03-13-2011 05:50 AM

Nice thread . Thanks to all of the brave men and women who have served and are serving now !

12thMan 03-13-2011 12:07 PM

Question: What's our footprint in Iraq? I still hear we're fighting two wars. Well, we drew down combat ops about a year ago, right?

So how much of presence do we still have there and how much is it costing the American taxpayer.

BuckSkin 03-13-2011 12:56 PM

[quote=12thMan;788777]Question: What's our footprint in Iraq? I still hear we're fighting two wars. Well, we drew down combat ops about a year ago, right?

So how much of presence do we still have there and how much is it costing the American taxpayer.[/quote]

The US has withdrawn all Combat Forces, but 47,000 non-combat forces remain. Which consists of Force protection, infrastructure, medical and maintenance type units.

MTK 03-13-2011 01:21 PM

Let's just keep this thread on the appreciation tip.

mlmpetert 05-05-2011 02:03 PM

[url=http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/05/3208495.htm?section=justin]Last male WWI veteran dies - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)[/url]

Schneed10 05-05-2011 02:23 PM

Good thread to dig up mlm, given that mad props need to go out to our boys that nailed bin Laden.

Naturally we appreciate them for the risk and the sacrifice, which can't be overemphasized. But let's also appreciate the size of our Navy SEAL's nuts, and their incredible skill.

firstdown 05-05-2011 03:12 PM

[quote=Schneed10;801418]Good thread to dig up mlm, given that mad props need to go out to our boys that nailed bin Laden.

Naturally we appreciate them for the risk and the sacrifice, which can't be overemphasized. [B]But let's also appreciate the size of our Navy SEAL's nuts,[/B] and their incredible skill.[/quote]

I'll let you do that.

Lotus 05-05-2011 03:33 PM

All of us who have brains are grateful for what the Seals have done for us.

The rest of us are Rashard Mendenhall.

Schneed10 05-05-2011 03:41 PM

[quote=firstdown;801430]I'll let you do that.[/quote]

That made me chuckle.

Poor choice of words by me, I should have known what I was walking into around this crowd!