Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins, Jaguars interested in Ogunleye (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1578)

Redskins_P 06-21-2004 08:56 AM

Redskins, Jaguars interested in Ogunleye

[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolphins21jun21,0,7878561.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front[/url]

I wonder what it would take to get this guy....

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 09:43 AM

well they wanted a first and third before. I dotn think we should give up that much but if they wanted less then mabye. At this point im sure they dont want to have him not play and get no compensation.

It would be a shame if we traded, lets say a first, to get him and then he ended up just being a product of all the talent around him in Miami and wasnt that good here.

Carnage 06-21-2004 09:47 AM

Rosenhause is going to keep our names in the paper for leverage.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-21-2004 11:08 AM

If we can get him for say a 2nd rounder and Gardner, I say definately go for it. I think that is possible. But, didn't we trade a 2nd next year for a 3rd this year (Cooley)?

memphisskin 06-21-2004 11:10 AM

It's a good match, he could be the difference between a good defense and a great defense. Our secondary should be improved, but we do have a rookie free safety so we need to get some pressure on the qb to help him out. Our linebackers should be better, I think moving LaVar to the weakside will help him make more plays because Armstead always seemed to be in position to make plays on the weak side. A dime package with LaVar on one end and Ogunleye on the other would be nice.

A first and third would seem to be a bit high, and I think our 3rd rounder is in Jacksonville as a result of the Brunell deal.

What about moving Samuels and a 4th rounder for Ogunleye? I hate to part with a top 5 left tackle, but Ogunleye do for us what Kearse did for Tennessee under Williams. And we really do need a pass rusher and he's about the only one available at this point.

MTK 06-21-2004 11:25 AM

Lining up across from Jason Taylor has definitely padded his sack stats a bit, but he is a legit double digit sack guy in any scheme.

I just wouldn't want to see us sell the farm for him.

I'm not even sure how "interested" the Redskins are. Anytime a big name free agent becomes available the Redskins are always on the list of the interested teams. I'm sure they are "curious", but how much so is yet to be seen.

I think the Dolphins would be crazy to settle for anything less than a first round pick plus another pick/player.

raleighskinsfan 06-21-2004 11:43 AM

I personally would not mind giving up a first and a third for an excellent YOUNG pass rusher who led the AFC in sacks last year, and had 9.5 the year before when he wasn't even starting. This guy is entering his prime, and hopefully our first and third picks next year will be near the bottom of the order since we're going to do well this year ;)
To me, pass rusher is the last missing piece. If we had that, I think we'd be as close to complete as we need to be....

Big C 06-21-2004 11:51 AM

we cant give up samuels, and i doubt we will with Bugel. I would not want to give up a 1st round pick. I dont know why, but im not as high on him as everyone else, i know the stats are there, but im still a little wary. I like having a 1st round pick, makes the draft actually fun to watch.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 06-21-2004 12:05 PM

I don’t think that it’s crazy for the Dolphins to accept something less than a 1st rounder and a player. Ogunleye appears to be quite serious about not playing if he doesn’t get a long-term contract. If he does indeed sit out until midway through the season, the Dolphins locker room will be soured, Miami’s pass-rushing threat will be degraded, Ogunleye will become a free agent next season, Miami will be able to do little more than slap a franchise tag on him to prevent him from leaving in 2005, and Miami will get no compensation if he does leave.

Rosenhaus is playing hardball and Miami knows it. I think they would be EXTREMELY lucky to get a 1st rounder AND a quality starting player for Ogunleye. If we are dumb enough to give up a 1st and say Gardner, we deserve to lose. That move would be even more stupid than the Brunell deal.

illdefined 06-21-2004 12:16 PM

young, intimdiating threat on the dline?? whens the last time we had that? even Champ Bailey couldn't cover forever or a perfect pass cuz the line applied no pressure.

he's young AND proven (like Lav Coles was). DEs in drafts are too much of a crapshoot in the NFL. it IS the missing piece and THIS is the guy.

MonkManiac 06-21-2004 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=illdefined]young, intimdiating threat on the dline?? whens the last time we had that? even Champ Bailey couldn't cover forever or a perfect pass cuz the line applied no pressure.

he's young AND proven (like Lav Coles was). DEs in drafts are too much of a crapshoot in the NFL. it IS the missing piece and THIS is the guy.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this the Big Daddy/Stubblefield argument? The point that has been made about productivity as a result of being part of a stud unit is well-taken. I like Oguleye, but he is not THE missing piece.

skinsfanthru&thru 06-21-2004 01:01 PM

there's no way anyone's gonna offer miami a 1st and 3rd now with ogunleye looking like a sure hold out in miami. if no one was willing to give miami that much before all of this, they sure as heck aren't going to now when miami has less leverage. i'll wait to hear what type of offers r in the mix to determine how much is too much or too little, but I think ogunleye would be an incredible addition to our d-line and maybe we can finally cut loose wynn's enormous salary for his rather low production. plus isn't ogunleye around 22 or 23? and they say d-lineman r the hardest players to judge coming out of college so if we can use our soon to be late round 1st round pick to get a talented, young de, then that doesn't sound to bad to me.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 01:04 PM

mabye a first would be fair to offer for him. And it would be a huge upgrade for us this year. But look how much fun the draft was thsi year because we had a pick in the first round. Plus we need to save teh cap space, rookies are the best way to do that. A late first round rookie doesnt cost hardly anything. Where as Ogunlye wants somewhere between 16 and 30 million of upfront money.

illdefined 06-21-2004 01:18 PM

after Snyder FINALLY learned his lesson in not getting flashy players or big names, but young, NFL proven guys with chips on their shoulders and something to prove, i think Ogunleye is the man. in the most sorely needed spot too.

i dont care how fun the DRAFT will be, which is still a total gamble, i would rather have fun during the SEASON with Ogunleye and Arrington pinching QBs.

skinsfanthru&thru 06-21-2004 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]mabye a first would be fair to offer for him. And it would be a huge upgrade for us this year. But look how much fun the draft was thsi year because we had a pick in the first round. Plus we need to save teh cap space, rookies are the best way to do that. A late first round rookie doesnt cost hardly anything. Where as Ogunlye wants somewhere between 16 and 30 million of upfront money.[/QUOTE]

but then the flipside to that is the unknown aspect of that drafted player translating his success to the nfl versus a proven young player at a position that is hard to find a solid playmaker at very often. I think a solid 5-6 year deal with a 11-15 million $ signing bonus isn't as bad as wasting a pick, contract, and roster spot on a player who may or may not pan out.
plus i'd rather win than watch the draft show, lol.

SmootSmack 06-21-2004 01:37 PM

The draft was only fun this year because it was the 5th overall pick, and for you Canes it was especially fun because we were deciding between Taylor and Winslow. But, like others have said, I'd rather have fun in the regular season and pick near the end of the first round, if not the very end

Redskins_P 06-21-2004 01:37 PM

I don't see anything fun about the draft next year. First of all the Redskins won't pick until the 32nd pick. Plus, adding a guy like Ogunleye we really won't need to draft anyone that high. We would basically draft for depth.

I think we can give up a 1st rounder and give them Wynn.

illdefined 06-21-2004 01:39 PM

Wynn AND Brunell for Ogunleye :Smoker:

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 01:43 PM

If we keep getting players we dont draft it will be hard to have depth because we will have so many huge contracts. Rookies dont get huge contracts. Id like us to get him but the fact we havent had many young talents in recent years that we are drafting is going to hurt us. Gardner is almost due for a new contract. Smoot is due after this season. Ramsey has two years left on his rookie contract. We arent going to be able to keep those players and have depth if we have a lot of big name players. Players arent gong to want to redo their contracts every three years.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=illdefined]Wynn AND Brunell for Ogunleye :Smoker:[/QUOTE]

haha, it if wasnt for the what, eight million dollar cap hit wed get for releasing brunell.

illdefined 06-21-2004 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]Gardner is almost due for a new contract. Smoot is due after this season. Ramsey has two years left on his rookie contract. We arent going to be able to keep those players and have depth if we have a lot of big name players. Players arent gong to want to redo their contracts every three years.[/QUOTE]

Gardner? and.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 01:51 PM

what are you asking me?

MonkManiac 06-21-2004 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]If we keep getting players we dont draft it will be hard to have depth because we will have so many huge contracts. Rookies dont get huge contracts. Id like us to get him but the fact we havent had many young talents in recent years that we are drafting is going to hurt us. Gardner is almost due for a new contract. Smoot is due after this season. Ramsey has two years left on his rookie contract. We arent going to be able to keep those players and have depth if we have a lot of big name players. Players arent gong to want to redo their contracts every three years.[/QUOTE]

Good call about rookie contracts, but: do we want to give Gardner another contract? What about Smoot for that matter? I'd like to see how Smoot does this year with no Champ and more safety support; I love the guy, but if he's looking to hold out for big money, he has yet to really prove himself. Ogunleye is solid addition to the defensive front, but nobody wants to mortgage the future on him, whether it is with draft picks or with big cap numbers.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 01:52 PM

either way, if we get rid of Gardner and Smoot then whats, we go out and pay big money for two other players? If Gardner leaves , then whoever takes his place on our team will want a big contract to.

illdefined 06-21-2004 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]haha, it if wasnt for the what, eight million dollar cap hit wed get for releasing brunell.[/QUOTE]

really?? damn.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 01:55 PM

well whatever we gave him for our signing bonus would all be a hit against the cap next year, minus the part for this year.

illdefined 06-21-2004 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]either way, if we get rid of Gardner and Smoot then whats, we go out and pay big money for two other players? If Gardner leaves , then whoever takes his place on our team will want a big contract to.[/QUOTE]

yeah Smoot really needs to show his worth, and whoever replaced Gardner would have to REALLY prove themself. no WR on our team besides Coles can ask for any kind of big check. we'd just put eager Chad Morton out there!

illdefined 06-21-2004 02:13 PM

really, a DE is an absolute NECESSITY for the Skins. has been for years and years now, its getting ridiculous. this is too good of an opportunity. young, hungry and proven but NOT an egomaniac househould name?? how often does that come along? last time it did, we got Coles! worth every penny.

and he's a top notch guy apparently. Literature major. reads alot. wears a regular watch. very down to earth. friend of mine dated him.

BrudLee 06-21-2004 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=illdefined]yeah Smoot really needs to show his worth, and whoever replaced Gardner would have to REALLY prove themself. no WR on our team besides Coles can ask for any kind of big check. we'd just put eager Chad Morton out there![/QUOTE]

Whoever replaced Gardner would likely be signed already. McCants, Thrash, and Jacobs have all either performed at this level, or shown flashes of the ability to do so. Believe me, the pressure is on Rod to prove he can play [b]in this league[/b], much less on this team.

If Ogunleye is traded to the Redskins, I'd guarantee that Gardner is part of the package. I wouldn't mind seeing Wynn leave as well (solely because of his salary), but I doubt Miami would absorb his existing deal.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 02:49 PM

they wouldnt have to absord that much, we would take the hit if wynn had a signing bonus, which would lower his salary structure for them. Either way he could redo it with them if he was included.

Gardner would have been a consideratoin for them had them not singed David Boston. I cant imagine them wanting to give up a probowlers for a third strign receiver. Chambers will play second string, so he would have ot battle with D.Thompson for 3rd string.

MonkManiac 06-21-2004 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=SKINSnCANES]they wouldnt have to absord that much, we would take the hit if wynn had a signing bonus, which would lower his salary structure for them. Either way he could redo it with them if he was included.

Gardner would have been a consideratoin for them had them not singed David Boston. I cant imagine them wanting to give up a probowlers for a third strign receiver. Chambers will play second string, so he would have ot battle with D.Thompson for 3rd string.[/QUOTE]

Chambers plays second string to David Boston? Are you kidding?

I wouldn't mind unloading Gardner, but I feel like he really hasn't done enough in this league to attract enough interest from other teams. We'd have more of a chance giving them Wynn plus a number one.

illdefined 06-21-2004 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=MonkManiac]Chambers plays second string to David Boston? Are you kidding?

I wouldn't mind unloading Gardner, but I feel like he really hasn't done enough in this league to attract enough interest from other teams. We'd have more of a chance giving them Wynn plus a number one.[/QUOTE]

Wynn and a First. Gardner to sweeten the deal. think its all worth very worth it. think MIA would go for it??

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=MonkManiac]Chambers plays second string to David Boston? Are you kidding?

I wouldn't mind unloading Gardner, but I feel like he really hasn't done enough in this league to attract enough interest from other teams. We'd have more of a chance giving them Wynn plus a number one.[/QUOTE]

Either way, Gardner wouldnt be first or second string, which is what I meant. It would be a different argument deciding who was be first string out of those two. Doesnt matter really, both will always be on the field.

Hogskin 06-21-2004 04:23 PM

Don't be so sure, Canes. They have been REAL unhappy with Boston so far. They say he is doing better getting into shape this year, but that is very far from a sure #2 WR spot. With the passing woes thay have had in recent years, I really think they would love to get Gardner. That is why I brought it up in the other Ogunleye thread a few days ago. I still think we have a shot with Gardner and, say, a round 2. Sure worth a shot. And you can be CERTAIN Dan is on the horn talking turkey of some sort with them. He does not let an opportunity pass unnoticed.

memphisskin 06-21-2004 04:32 PM

I think it's worth it. He's a young DE, and he had more sacks than Taylor this past season. I doubt we include Gardner, he's a solid guy, a former first round pick, and I look for him to blossom this season. I really don't think we have the pieces to trade, since most of our guys are free agents and we'd take a hit to move them.

This guy may not be the missing piece, but he certainly adds a dimension that we don't currently have on our team.

illdefined 06-21-2004 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Hogskin]Don't be so sure, Canes. They have been REAL unhappy with Boston so far. They say he is doing better getting into shape this year, but that is very far from a sure #2 WR spot. With the passing woes thay have had in recent years, I really think they would love to get Gardner. That is why I brought it up in the other Ogunleye thread a few days ago. I still think we have a shot with Gardner and, say, a round 2. Sure worth a shot. And you can be CERTAIN Dan is on the horn talking turkey of some sort with them. He does not let an opportunity pass unnoticed.[/QUOTE]

God hear you. :headbange

Big C 06-21-2004 04:39 PM

why do you all think that adding renaldo wynn to any deal would help anyone? He is an average player at best, with the salary of a top notch D-Lineman. Gardner would make sense, but Wynn i cant see anyone wanting him.

SKINSnCANES 06-21-2004 04:44 PM

well, a coupel things. For one, we dotn have a number two. And what exactly do you mean by he is doing better getting into shape this year?? name one person in the NFL that has ever been in better shape than David Boston. The guy is jacked and a monster. Bostons only problem last year was his trainer thought he was on steroids and didnt understand that he just worked out for about 24 hours a day.

Either way, they dont need another WR to bring in just for competition sake, they woudl rather get somethign they have a greater need for. If we had a second round pick we would have more to offer. They are going to want our first, and if we were willing to give up a first and third then why didnt we do before. Hes always been available for a first and third.

Big C 06-21-2004 04:47 PM

Chambers in my opinion is way too overrated. He has never put up 1,000 yards in his career, and he is very undersized. He is a good reciever, but he is not as good as people think. Boston is better than Chambers IMO, j ust look at what hes done. Last year, if it wasnt for his suspension, he probably would have cracked 1,000 yards with a crap QB.

illdefined 06-21-2004 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Big C]why do you all think that adding renaldo wynn to any deal would help anyone? He is an average player at best, with the salary of a top notch D-Lineman. Gardner would make sense, but Wynn i cant see anyone wanting him.[/QUOTE]

cuz at the very least there would be someone to take Ogunleye's place in the lineup. and if their DLine is as good as people seem to think it is, then he could be more productive there. think he got any Dline help here?