Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris Cooley retires, will join Redskins' radio team (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=53440)

MTK 07-16-2013 03:38 PM

Chris Cooley retires, will join Redskins' radio team

Best of Luck to Chris Cooley with his new career.

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218098/article/chris-cooley-retires-will-join-redskins-radio-team]Chris Cooley retires, will join Redskins' radio team - NFL.com[/url]

Paintrain 07-16-2013 03:43 PM

Re: Chris Cooley retires, will join Redskins' radio team

That's great for him and great for the organization to keep him as part of Redskins Nation.

CultBrennan59 07-16-2013 03:43 PM

COOOOOOOOOLLEEYYY Picked a great time to retire, he was done last year. One of my favorite Skins to watch. Loved his 3 TD game against Dallas a few years ago. Best of luck to him in his next career.

irish 07-16-2013 04:03 PM

Good for CC. He was great on Ch4 with Dan Hellie and I'm sure he will be great on the radio.

SouperMeister 07-16-2013 04:06 PM

And now he will be a Redskin forever, as it should be. Thanks Chris for giving us many great memories as a player, and we look forward to hearing you on Redskins broadcasts.

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-16-2013 04:15 PM

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread Matty or just post it in the previous thread that was discussing the radio team.

CrazyCanuck 07-16-2013 04:19 PM

C:cool::cool:ley!!!!

That Guy 07-16-2013 04:27 PM

he'll be great on radio.

Hog1 07-16-2013 04:30 PM

LOVE that....he'll be a Great addition!
CC is a Great Redskin......

skinsfaninok 07-16-2013 04:47 PM

Cooley was a all time REDSKIN, he literally played his ass off. I'll miss his goofy self.

Lotus 07-16-2013 06:59 PM

Great news. I look forward to Cooley's analyses.

SolidSnake84 07-16-2013 08:25 PM

He was like our only offensive weapon for many years. It's a shame he didn't have more years here as a player.

Hog1 07-16-2013 08:41 PM

I would have loved to see him get more opportunities with Robert....if he still had his legs

CultBrennan59 07-16-2013 08:59 PM

This still is one of my favorite Cooley moments

[YT]vTFp9uUI368[/YT]

Meks 07-17-2013 12:51 AM

Sounds awesome ... good for him and great for the fans.. a fresh and relevant perspective that gets inside the huddle and is not only very familiar with our team, but alot of opponents as well. Very good move by the skins and great to know #47that is staying a part of the org.

Green Monk Machine 07-17-2013 07:14 AM

[quote=Meks;1015822]Sounds awesome ... good for him and great for the fans.. a fresh and relevant perspective that gets inside the huddle and is not only very familiar with our team, but alot of opponents as well. Very good move by the skins and great to know #47that is staying a part of the org.[/quote]

Yes! I was able to detect the senility and old man stench of Huff thru the radio. I've heard CC won't be in the booth full time but perhaps sprinkled in like Doc.

I wonder if Doc wants in the booth himself?

SmootSmack 07-17-2013 07:28 AM

He's going to do something called Cooley's Corner at the top of each quarter

SmootSmack 07-17-2013 07:55 AM

as i understand it, initially that will be all he does

Giantone 07-17-2013 08:06 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;1015826]He's going to do something called Cooley's Corner at the top of each quarter[/quote]

SS, how well does something like that pay ,I realize it's not what he had before but I am a little curious?

SmootSmack 07-17-2013 08:16 AM

Probably a low 6 figures is what he's getting

Monkeydad 07-17-2013 09:05 AM

Glad he made it official so we know and so he can move onto a successful post-playing days career.

One of my favorite Skins of all time.

I'm glad he finished his career without suiting up for anyone else.

mooby 07-17-2013 11:13 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;1015826]He's going to do something called Cooley's Corner at the top of each quarter[/quote]

Regardless of his personal life, he's still one of my favorite Redskins, so I'm happy knowing he'll be adding a fresh perspective to the radio, even though I never listen to the radio.

JoeRedskin 07-17-2013 12:15 PM

Cooley is just always going to be a Skins' fan favorite. He consistently returned the love he got from the fans. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the "voice of the Skins" in the next few years.

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-17-2013 03:48 PM

Joe- that would be awesome. Larry just doesn't have that great voice for calling the home run plays. Cooley I imagine would be awesome in that role.

SmootSmack 07-17-2013 03:55 PM

That would honestly stun me

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-17-2013 03:57 PM

SS- I would imagine that CC would make a heck of a color commentator one day if he can work on his craft.

He has that personality that would generate some funny stuff.

Evilgrin 07-17-2013 04:41 PM

whats worse the condition of the field or the booth?

Monkeydad 07-18-2013 10:33 AM

[quote=artmonkforhallofamein07;1015889]Joe- that would be awesome. Larry just doesn't have that great voice for calling the home run plays. Cooley I imagine would be awesome in that role.[/quote]

I think Larry does a great job on play-by-play.

Cooley would make a good sidekick to do the color alongside Larry. I respect Huff and the now-retired Sonny J., but they are not very exciting to listen to on the radio. I think a young, fan favorite like Cooley would really do wonders for the broadcasts.

JoeRedskin 07-18-2013 11:00 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;1015891]That would honestly stun me[/quote]

I dunno, could he really be worse than Huff these last few years? From what I have seen he is pretty rough around the edges right now. Given that and his apparent party ethic, I can see how he may never be professional enough to do more than part-time features on local radio.

If he could pull it together enough, however, he would undoubtedly be a fan favorite and probably provide at least a short term ratings bump.

JoeRedskin 07-18-2013 11:01 AM

I remember when I would turn down the TV to listen to Sam, Sonny and Herzog. I haven't done that for a while.

BTW - I got no qualms w/ Larry Michael on game day. It's just everywhere else that I find him annoying.

SmootSmack 07-18-2013 11:30 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1015946]I dunno, could he really be worse than Huff these last few years? From what I have seen he is pretty rough around the edges right now. Given that and his apparent party ethic, I can see how he may never be professional enough to do more than part-time features on local radio.

If he could pull it together enough, however, he would undoubtedly be a fan favorite and probably provide at least a short term ratings bump.[/quote]

Cooley as a color commentator, sure. When you said voice of the Redskins, I thought you meant play by play

JoeRedskin 07-18-2013 12:00 PM

No, sorry. "Voice of the Redskins" was the wrong way to describe it. I can see him as the next Sonny. Cooley would pretty much suck as a play-by-play guy.

FRPLG 07-18-2013 11:51 PM

Play-by-play is a skill you have to learn.

scowan 07-19-2013 11:02 AM

I live in Titans country and Frank Wycheck does the "color" for the Titans and he is pretty good. A former Redskins player and then Titan's TE, most famous for the pass across the field Music City Miracle play. Frank is pretty honest in his accessment and I hope that's what you will get out of Cooley. For now, Cooley is still pretty close to this Roster, so I doubt much negative will be said, but you never know.

RGIII 07-19-2013 11:33 AM

Can't the mods here get Cooley for a Q&A about his new gig?

scowan 07-19-2013 12:20 PM

[quote=RGIII;1016058]Can't the mods here get Cooley for a Q&A about his new gig?[/quote]

I'd like to second that motion!

Chico23231 07-23-2013 12:35 PM

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/07/23/chris-cooley-to-replace-andy-pollin-on-sports-reporters/]Chris Cooley to replace Andy Pollin on ‘Sports Reporters’[/url]

wow....

"The new show — “The Drive, with Cooley and Czabe” — will feature a three-man panel, also including Al Galdi. It will debut on August 1, and will continue to run from 4-7 on weekdays. Yes, if you look real hard, you can see a “47″ in there."

Galdi, Czabe and Cooley? Get the f*ck outta town, thats gonna be awesome. Cant wait to hear that.

All the Czabe hatters, what you think about that? Are you gonna hatte Cooley now?

FRPLG 07-23-2013 02:18 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1016331][url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/07/23/chris-cooley-to-replace-andy-pollin-on-sports-reporters/]Chris Cooley to replace Andy Pollin on ‘Sports Reporters’[/url]

wow....

"The new show — “The Drive, with Cooley and Czabe” — will feature a three-man panel, also including Al Galdi. It will debut on August 1, and will continue to run from 4-7 on weekdays. Yes, if you look real hard, you can see a “47″ in there."

Galdi, Czabe and Cooley? Get the f*ck outta town, thats gonna be awesome. Cant wait to hear that.

All the Czabe hatters, what you think about that? Are you gonna hatte Cooley now?[/quote]
Czabe might be an ass (as I understand it) but his morning show is fantastic. He has talent for sure. And I love the addition of Galdi. He is good. This show intrigues me greatly. Never listened to the local show but I think I'll give it a shot now.

MTK 07-23-2013 02:21 PM

I don't care who they put on with him I wouldn't listen.

irish 07-23-2013 02:29 PM

There is no way this new show will be as good as Andy and Czabe. IMO, they seem to bring out the best in each other.