Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cam Newton to Skins? Predictions and Opinions (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64598)

SFREDSKIN 03-19-2020 11:30 PM

Re: Cam Newton to Skins? Predictions and Opinions

[quote=skinsfaninok;1247459]Former Redskins LB’s coach Rob Ryan on Colin Cowherd show: “Dwayne Haskins is not NFL ready,not even close..

Did anyone see this? I haven't but Ryan could also be salty he wasn't kept.[/quote]

This exactly what Ryan said and it wasn’t as bad as people think:

“He’s a good kid,” former Washington linebackers coach Rob Ryan told Colin Cowherd, via USA Today. “He’s got a big arm, a lot of talent, but definitely not ready for the rigors of the NFL.”

Ryan nevertheless saw improvement over the course of Haskins’ first year in the NFL.

“He got a lot better from when he was thrown into games,” Ryan said. “I remember in New York, it was awful. He wasn’t ready. We threw him in the game and it wasn’t fair to the kid. He just wasn’t ready. So at least each week I saw him trying to get better. I saw him trying to meet with [former Washington quarterbacks coach] Tim Rattay, who’s a real fine coach now at Oklahoma State. He was trying to get better.”

Warthog 03-20-2020 03:04 AM

Haskins wasn’t ready for the first game he played in and his 3 INT that game really showed it. But he hadn’t had even one play with the first team , not in the training camp, pre-season or during the regular season. He was thrown to the wolves. But when he was allowed to practice with the first string he got better. Every game he steadily improved until he was throwing at a smoking hot level. He had a QB rating of 121 and 140 in his last two games - that’s with a shaky OL, no TE’s to speak of, 3 rookie WR and finally play-calling that was predictable and run-heavy.

The Redskins are not going to draft Tua, nor pick up Cam Newton in FA because it’s overkill. The team will get a reasonable QB backup. Haskins will do well as a second-year QB. He was improving as his rookie season progressed and he will probably continue to do so this season. The OL will be better, I assume the team will use one of their top draft picks (after drafting Chase Young) for the top TE left and Scott Turner will call a better offensive scheme than Callahan did.

Haskins will improve, so the team will spend their FA money and draft picks to SUPPORT HIM, NOT REPLACE HIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinsfaninok 03-20-2020 07:38 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1247464]This exactly what Ryan said and it wasn’t as bad as people think:

“He’s a good kid,” former Washington linebackers coach Rob Ryan told Colin Cowherd, via USA Today. “He’s got a big arm, a lot of talent, but definitely not ready for the rigors of the NFL.”

Ryan nevertheless saw improvement over the course of Haskins’ first year in the NFL.

“He got a lot better from when he was thrown into games,” Ryan said. “I remember in New York, it was awful. He wasn’t ready. We threw him in the game and it wasn’t fair to the kid. He just wasn’t ready. So at least each week I saw him trying to get better. I saw him trying to meet with [former Washington quarterbacks coach] Tim Rattay, who’s a real fine coach now at Oklahoma State. He was trying to get better.”[/quote]

Thanks SF, I had seen that quote from one skins twitter page and I had never seen the interview.

skinsfaninok 03-21-2020 06:26 PM

"They will not pursue Cam Newton" - John Keim.

Good news!!

Meks 03-21-2020 11:23 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1247616]"They will not pursue Cam Newton" - John Keim.

Good news!![/quote]

Good

Ohioskins 03-22-2020 10:11 AM

If they sign Cam it will undercut the development of Haskins and Hasins' development should be their highest priority. Even Bruce Allen would not be stupid enough to sign Cam.Let's see what Rivera does. Frankly I am not sure where Rivera is on this. In my view there should not even be rumors about this. Signing Cam should be a non-starter.

EdmundDorf 03-22-2020 10:33 AM

The fact that Keim has been so direct and certain in his statement tells me that it came from RR and the team.

NYCskinfan82 03-22-2020 10:44 AM

JMO yes we are drafting CY but us being linked to Cam drops our trade value for the #2 pick.

CRedskinsRule 03-22-2020 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Ohioskins;1247646]If they sign Cam it will undercut the development of Haskins and Hasins' development should be their highest priority. Even Bruce Allen would not be stupid enough to sign Cam.Let's see what Rivera does. Frankly I am not sure where Rivera is on this. In my view there should not even be rumors about this. Signing Cam should be a non-starter.[/QUOTE]How do you stop rumors? Linking Cam to Rivera is a natural thought, and if you say RR should come out publicly and say something, then where do you draw that line. RR seems to believe (and I am ok with it) that he isn't commenting or giving away any strategy tips. When that is so, the media will just throw stuff out and see what sticks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Duffman003 03-23-2020 02:25 PM

According to Rapoport we got the other Carolina QB. Think Kyle Allen has any chance to start?

Chico23231 03-23-2020 03:04 PM

[quote=Duffman003;1247732]According to Rapoport we got the other Carolina QB. Think Kyle Allen has any chance to start?[/quote]

No...

EdmundDorf 03-23-2020 03:27 PM

Does thismean we can close this thread?

Warthog 03-23-2020 04:17 PM

Cam Newton to Skins? Predictions and Opinions

Yeah, for all the posters who said that the Redskins would pick up:

Rivers
Cam Newton
And every other QB out there to replace Haskins

What do you say now that the team hired an Kyle Allen, a XFL player? It looks like Dwayne Haskins actually gets a full season to prove himself OR NOT.

It looks like any real help in improving the TE or WR #2 positions will have to come from the mid or lower depths of the draft or UDFA. Kyle picked some diamonds out of the third and bottom picks for WR last year. Let’s see if he can do it again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burgold 03-25-2020 01:32 PM

Re: Cam Newton to Skins? Perdictions and Opinions

[quote=skinsfan69;1247209]I don't want Cam. Selfish, me first, isn't accurate, injury prone...[/quote]You ain't never lied!!

SkinzWin 03-25-2020 02:11 PM

[quote=Duffman003;1247732]According to Rapoport we got the other Carolina QB. Think Kyle Allen has any chance to start?[/quote]

RR was interviewed and asked point blank about the QB situation. It appears RR is sticking to his young QB options and a competition for who will be the starter in pre season will be how this unfolds. He definitely seems to be playing the long game with his approach to building the team. I honestly can’t say I’m upset. Winning in FA has gotten us nowhere fast the last 25 years.

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ron-rivera-reveals-the-plan-for-dwayne-haskins-why-the-redskins-traded-for-kyle-allen/[/url]