Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vick Offered Minimum One Year Prison Sentence as Part of Plea Deal (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=19311)

SmootSmack 08-15-2007 10:37 PM

Vick Offered Minimum One Year Prison Sentence as Part of Plea Deal

[url=http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=130378&ran=147795&tref=po]ARTICLE: Vick offered plea deal recommending at least a year in prison (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com)[/url]

Federal prosecutors have offered Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick a plea deal that would recommend he serve at least one year in prison on a felony dogfighting conspiracy charge, according to two sources with knowledge of the discussions.

CHIEF CHUCKING MY SPEAR 08-15-2007 10:41 PM

Re: Vick Offered Minimum One Year Prison Sentence as Part of Plea Deal

getting off easy

KLHJ2 08-15-2007 10:43 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;340514][URL="http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=130378&ran=147795&tref=po"]ARTICLE: Vick offered plea deal recommending at least a year in prison (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com)[/URL]

Federal prosecutors have offered Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick a plea deal that would recommend he serve at least one year in prison on a felony dogfighting conspiracy charge, according to two sources with knowledge of the discussions.[/quote]

I had heard about that on the radio yesterday. I say that he accecpts the plea bargain. At least then he might be able to save a few years of his life and quite possibly his career. I will find the source as soon as I post this, but the NFL is planning on a one year suspension for Vick as well. So, if he only serves a one year Prison sentence, he could be back on the field some time next year having learned a valuable lesson.

[url=http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-vick081207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns]Sources: Vick suspension near - NFL - Yahoo! Sports[/url]

SmootSmack 08-15-2007 10:49 PM

Yahoo! Sports had said earlier this week that the NFL was going to suspend him for a year, but the NFL denied that the next day.

I don't know that Vick can just bounce right back. He's likely done in Atlanta, and we'll see what team will step up and sign him.

Until then the question is...will he share a cell with Maurice Clarett?

chrisl13 08-15-2007 10:50 PM

[quote=angryssg;340516]I had heard about that on the radio yesterday. [B]I say that he accecpts the plea bargain[/B]. At least then he might be able to save a few years of his life and quite possibly his career. I will find the source as soon as I post this, but the NFL is planning on a one year suspension for Vick as well. So, if he only serves a one year Prison sentence, he could be back on the field some time next year having learned a valuable lesson.[/quote]

yeah exactly, and he'll probably get off for good behavior too.

KLHJ2 08-15-2007 10:55 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;340517]Yahoo! Sports had said earlier this week that the NFL was going to suspend him for a year, but the NFL denied that the next day.

I don't know that Vick can just bounce right back. He's likely done in Atlanta, and we'll see what team will step up and sign him.

Until then the question is...will he share a cell with Maurice Clarett?[/quote]

Yes I have just read where the NFL denied it. I also remember last year that a certain Adam Shefter said that the Raiders were going to fire their head coach. The Raiders denied that report and what happened? They fired their head coach. I think that there is some truth to that report.

I do not see him being out of the league forever, baring he doesn't accecpt the plea bargain.

Unless the Falcons can recoup some of the money (salary cap hit) that they are reqired to pay Vick over the next few years I do not see Atlanta parting ways with him after only a one year suspension. Even if they do part ways there is no way that he will end up like Quincy Carter, he is just too talented to pass up.

70Chip 08-15-2007 10:56 PM

As the great Lionel Hutz once said, "I think we should take it."

SmootSmack 08-15-2007 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=angryssg;340519]Yes I have just read where the NFL denied it. I also remember last year that a certain Adam Shefter said that the Raiders were going to fire their head coach. The Raiders denied that report and what happened? They fired their head coach. I think that there is some truth to that report.

I do not see him being out of the league forever, baring he doesn't accecpt the plea bargain.

Unless the Falcons can recoup some of the money (salary cap hit) that they are reqired to pay Vick over the next few years I do not see Atlanta parting ways with him after only a one year suspension. Even if they do part ways there is no way that he will end up like Quincy Carter, he is just too talented to pass up.[/QUOTE]

Very true about Schefter and the Raiders.

As for Vick and the Falcons, I would think that if he is actually sentenced to serve in prison then they can void their contract with him. There must be some "If you have to serve over a year in prison, the contract is terminated" clause in the contract.

KLHJ2 08-15-2007 11:12 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;340523]Very true about Schefter and the Raiders.

As for Vick and the Falcons, I would think that if he is actually sentenced to serve in prison then they can void their contract with him. There must be some "If you have to serve over a year in prison, the contract is terminated" clause in the contract.[/quote]

I do not know about that because his whole contract was a concern for the Falcons when all of this came up. Once again it was Shefter that pointed it out. Much of Vicks money was guaranteed, little of it was to be paid through bonuses. Releasing Vick can result in a huge cap hit as well. The Falcons would need some sort of relief from the league to not count Vicks salary against the cap. I am not saying that it cannot be done, but saying that it needs to be done.

JoeRedskin 08-16-2007 12:26 AM

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if any suspension kicked in AFTER he was released from prison. It would be very reasonable for the NFL to say - yes you've served your time BUT before we let you play in OUR league, you gotta spend some time living the quiet life to prove to US that this behavior will not recur.

LMsexyAO 08-16-2007 02:23 AM

Well, if Vick accepts the plea, isn't likely the NFL will ban him for multiple years-life since he is admitting to the charges? I mean if they ever do let him in the league, arn't they are going to get hit hard by animal rights organizations, sponsers, fans, and animal lovers everywhere?

I think it comes down to either: 1. Fight the charges and risk longer jail time but maybe save your career if you win. 2. Go with the plea, less time in jail, goodbye football

Not a decision I'd want to have to make.

Luxorreb 08-16-2007 02:33 AM

CFL.

Championship!

KLHJ2 08-16-2007 02:33 AM

[quote=LMsexyAO;340578]Well, if Vick accepts the plea, isn't likely the NFL will ban him for multiple years-life since he is admitting to the charges? I mean if they ever do let him in the league, arn't they are going to get hit hard by animal rights organizations, sponsers, fans, and animal lovers everywhere?

I think it comes down to either: 1. Fight the charges and risk longer jail time but maybe save your career if you win. 2. Go with the plea, less time in jail, goodbye football

Not a decision I'd want to have to make.[/quote]
He will always have the opportunity to hold a press confrence to Advocate how sincerly sorry he is. that he made a terrible mistake, and he learned a very valuable lesson, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! If he accecpts the plea there is still hope of a career. On the other hand if he doesn't, then he can kiss both his career and some of his life good-bye.

dall-assblows 08-16-2007 03:22 AM

he is stupid if he doesnt do this. we all know he did it sooooo why delay the inevitable?

he could be back playing football by next year. trust me he will find work in the NFL. that is unless he is banned from the league FOREVER!!!!

irish 08-16-2007 08:44 AM

This would be getting off too easy for Vick but unless he's an idiot (which I believe he is) he better take it.

mlmpetert 08-16-2007 09:02 AM

Honestly a year is way to much. He has never been convicted of anything before. How is fighting some dogs (personal property) worth getting a YEAR is prison? Poor guy. No way he should accept.

JoeRedskin 08-16-2007 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=mlmpetert;340616]Honestly a year is way to much. He has never been convicted of anything before. How is fighting some dogs (personal property) worth getting a YEAR is prison? Poor guy. No way he should accept.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I say he should only get two hours.

Of course, those two hours should be spent in a ring covered in A-1 sauce with the personal property that he tortured and maimed and, if he tries to exit the ring, will just taser his ass.

What an insanely stupid statement. Read the indictment. If you in anyway condone that behavior or believe it is even acceptable conduct for members of society, then you and I have serious, probably irreconcilable, differences as to the treatment of living things.

firstdown 08-16-2007 09:14 AM

[quote=mlmpetert;340616]Honestly a year is way to much. He has never been convicted of anything before. How is fighting some dogs (personal property) worth getting a YEAR is prison? Poor guy. No way he should accept.[/quote]
Maybe I would agree with your point if it was some causual dog fighting once in a blue moon, but from what I have read he had an illegal organized dog fighting ring which bring in more laws broken. Then you add in the fact of how these dogs where treated and killed makes it even that much worse. Poor guy nothing, a year sentence is light for what he has done. He knew what he was doing so the poor guy agument is stupid.

FRPLG 08-16-2007 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=mlmpetert;340616]Honestly a year is way to much. He has never been convicted of anything before. How is fighting some dogs (personal property) worth getting a YEAR is prison? Poor guy. No way he should accept.[/QUOTE]

Really?

Hog1 08-16-2007 09:37 AM

[quote=firstdown;340623]Maybe I would agree with your point if it was some causual dog fighting once in a blue moon, but from what I have read he had an illegal organized dog fighting ring which bring in more laws broken. Then you add in the fact of how these dogs where treated and killed makes it even that much worse. Poor guy nothing, a year sentence is light for what he has done. He knew what he was doing so the poor guy agument is stupid.[/quote]

Totally, Mike was somewhat of a dog fighting.......lord, not a casual user. IMO, that increases the severity of the offense!

BleedBurgundy 08-16-2007 09:41 AM

He'd be stupid not to take this. With 1 year, at least there would be the possibility that he can get back in the league. If he gets the max (5 years) it's all over and he's the biggest punchline in the league's fight against poor conduct. What worries me is the possibility that he gets 1 year and only serves 3 months because the prisons are "overcrowded" ala Paris Hilton.

SmootSmack 08-16-2007 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=BleedBurgundy;340628]He'd be stupid not to take this. With 1 year, at least there would be the possibility that he can get back in the league. If he gets the max (5 years) it's all over and he's the biggest punchline in the league's fight against poor conduct. What worries me is the possibility that he gets 1 year and only serves 3 months because the prisons are "overcrowded" ala Paris Hilton.[/QUOTE]

I think I heard somewhere that one reason he might accept the plea is that the prosecution is prepared to bring out new charges that could mean Vick would face up to 27 years in prison.

Crazyhorse1 08-16-2007 09:55 AM

[quote=LMsexyAO;340578]Well, if Vick accepts the plea, isn't likely the NFL will ban him for multiple years-life since he is admitting to the charges? I mean if they ever do let him in the league, arn't they are going to get hit hard by animal rights organizations, sponsers, fans, and animal lovers everywhere?

Not a decision I'd want to have to make.[/quote]

From what I hear, it's a no-brainer. The guy is nailed. Here's betting he serves less than six months and plays next year.

SKINStoWIN 08-16-2007 10:11 AM

LOCK HIM UP. It is kinda funny when I look back and remember when his little brother Marcus was in all the trouble at Tech. Dope and under-age girls. He should have taken his own advice about staying out of trouble. as I said "LOCK HIM UP." And, any team that would touch him after all this is out of there minds.

Carnage 08-16-2007 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=BleedBurgundy;340628]He'd be stupid not to take this. With 1 year, at least there would be the possibility that he can get back in the league. If he gets the max (5 years) it's all over and he's the biggest punchline in the league's fight against poor conduct. What worries me is the possibility that he gets 1 year and only serves 3 months because the prisons are "overcrowded" ala Paris Hilton.[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as Parole from federal prison. He will do every day of his sentence.

SKINStoWIN 08-16-2007 10:20 AM

Lock Him Up!

Chief X_Phackter 08-16-2007 10:23 AM

My hope is that if he takes the one year plea deal, the Atlanta Falcons drop him. I haven't seen his contract, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get out of it with the given circumstances. If it comes down to it, the NFL would probably help out the Falcons out (monetarily or whatever) just to save some face in the public eye. I doubt he ever plays in the NFL again, and if he does that's pretty sad.

I wonder who he is ratting on to get such a light sentence.

Dlyne8r 08-16-2007 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=mlmpetert;340616]Honestly a year is way to much. He has never been convicted of anything before. [B]How is fighting some dogs (personal property) worth getting a YEAR is prison? Poor guy.[/B] No way he should accept.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't just some casual event as a previous poster mentioned. Allegedly, and it sounds very credible that the evidence is rock solid, he was involved in a brutal, inhumane activity that killed and maimed dogs against their will. “Poor guy.” Man, what have you been smokin’? In addition, if the gambling angle is ever proven, he will have committed yet another FEDERAL crime. That alone has major implications. Mike Vick is no poor soul my friend and a one year suspension would be getting off extremely light. However, I think he would be foolish if he were not to accept the plea. He could do his time, albeit a short term, get out and somehow try to get back into the good graces of the NFL (not likely). Or, and I would almost be willing to take the higher risk option, he could fight it in court. Remember, it would be a jury trial and he only has to convince one juror of his innocence. I guess we’ll know pretty soon what he decides to do, but Vick is no saint.

skinsfan69 08-16-2007 10:43 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;340631]I think I heard somewhere that one reason he might accept the plea is that the prosecution is prepared to bring out new charges that could mean Vick would face up to 27 years in prison.[/quote]

This is getting ridicules. He seems to be guilty of something. So far it looks like he placed bets, and he bankrolled it. But to spend anymore than a year in jail for dogfighting seems a little crazy to me. For this type of crime a few months seems more logical.

freddyg12 08-16-2007 10:49 AM

[quote=Chief X_Phackter;340639]My hope is that if he takes the one year plea deal, the Atlanta Falcons drop him. I haven't seen his contract, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get out of it with the given circumstances. If it comes down to it, the NFL would probably help out the Falcons out (monetarily or whatever) just to save some face in the public eye. I doubt he ever plays in the NFL again, and if he does that's pretty sad.

I wonder who he is ratting on to get such a light sentence.[/quote]

Doesn't sound like he's ratting on anybody, more the opposite if anything, that his boys are on him.

I don't think it's a light sentence for a plea deal. A deal is always a lighter sentence, or there would be no incentive for it. Is it light compared to what he might get if the feds add additional charges related to conspiring in a gambling operation? yes, but that's all the more reason the feds are threatening those charges, so they can make this deal & be done w/it.

I see him playing again. He'll get the right pr help & try to make amends w/the public. One thing he may have going for him is that it sounded from the indictment that he tried to distance himself from the operation 3 years ago when he & TAylor had the falling out. Did he get out of the business then? I guess that remains to be seen.

Chief X_Phackter 08-16-2007 11:04 AM

[quote=freddyg12;340644]Doesn't sound like he's ratting on anybody, more the opposite if anything, that his boys are on him.

I don't think it's a light sentence for a plea deal. A deal is always a lighter sentence, or there would be no incentive for it. Is it light compared to what he might get if the feds add additional charges related to conspiring in a gambling operation? yes, but that's all the more reason the feds are threatening those charges, so they can make this deal & be done w/it.

I see him playing again. He'll get the right pr help & try to make amends w/the public. One thing he may have going for him is that it sounded from the indictment that he tried to distance himself from the operation 3 years ago when he & TAylor had the falling out. Did he get out of the business then? I guess that remains to be seen.[/quote]

Probably not a light sentence for a plea deal, but a light sentence for what he was involved with according to the indictment. I hope he doesn't take the deal and goes away for longer, but I'm sure he has good lawyers that will tell him that would be stupid (but then again obviously he is).

It is possible he implicates others, maybe not anyone we'll know, but it could be part of his deal. That is what a deal is, you give us something and plead guilty to these charges, and we'll give you a lesser sentence for cooperating.

I think it would be a big mistake for the NFL to let him play again.

skinsfan69 08-16-2007 11:15 AM

[quote=Chief X_Phackter;340646]Probably not a light sentence for a plea deal, but a light sentence for what he was involved with according to the indictment. I hope he doesn't take the deal and goes away for longer, but I'm sure he has good lawyers that will tell him that would be stupid (but then again obviously he is).

It is possible he implicates others, maybe not anyone we'll know, but it could be part of his deal. That is what a deal is, you give us something and plead guilty to these charges, and we'll give you a lesser sentence for cooperating.

I think it would be a big mistake for the NFL to let him play again.[/quote]

Why would it be a mistake for him to play in the NFL again if he pays his debt? We are talking about dog fighting. Not murder of a human being. Jeez!

Leonard Little is still playing in the NFL and what he did was so much worse than what Vick. In case you don't know about Leonard, he killed a women in a drunk driving accident. He smashed into her car after he ran a red light and he was drunk. Still playing in the NFL. Now what is worse?

70Chip 08-16-2007 11:28 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;340647]Why would it be a mistake for him to play in the NFL again if he pays his debt? We are talking about dog fighting. Not murder of a human being. Jeez!

Leonard Little is still playing in the NFL and what he did was so much worse than what Vick. In case you don't know about Leonard, he killed a women in a drunk driving accident. He smashed into her car after he ran a red light and he was drunk. Still playing in the NFL. Now what is worse?[/quote]

Don't forget Ray Lewis.

skinsfan69 08-16-2007 11:40 AM

[quote=70Chip;340650]Don't forget Ray Lewis.[/quote]

Well, Lewis didn't kill anybody. I think all the evidence points towards the two thugs he was with. But he covered it up and played dumb to the police. So in my view that is worse than what Vick did.

Fighting pit bulls and betting on it is wrong and I certainly don't condone it. It's disgusting. But a year or more in jail? C'mon!

irish 08-16-2007 11:48 AM

Its not the dog fighting, its the interstate gambling that went along with the dogfighting. The gambling is why the feds are involved. The dogfighting is just a disgusting enabler for the gambling.

SmootSmack 08-16-2007 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;340647]Why would it be a mistake for him to play in the NFL again if he pays his debt? We are talking about dog fighting. Not murder of a human being. Jeez!

Leonard Little is still playing in the NFL and what he did was so much worse than what Vick. In case you don't know about Leonard, he killed a women in a drunk driving accident. He smashed into her car after he ran a red light and he was drunk. Still playing in the NFL. Now what is worse?[/QUOTE]

Someone would probably say that what Little did was a one-time unfortunate tragedy that was not deliberate or intentional (although I believe he's been arrested again since then for drunk driving right?) while Vick deliberately ran a dogfighting ring for several years that resulted in the brutal deaths of several living creatures.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-16-2007 12:04 PM

If I ran the league, I would probably institute a policy of restricting felons from participating in the the league. I just don't think it sounds right for felons to be playing in the NFL.

freddyg12 08-16-2007 12:06 PM

[quote=Chief X_Phackter;340646]Probably not a light sentence for a plea deal, but a light sentence for what he was involved with according to the indictment. I hope he doesn't take the deal and goes away for longer, but I'm sure he has good lawyers that will tell him that would be stupid (but then again obviously he is).

I think it would be a big mistake for the NFL to let him play again.[/quote]

You're right, once he agrees to start talking he might inadvertently give up a lot of people.
Remember the max. sentence w/the charges right now (not the charges the feds might add) is only 5 years. 1 year out of that 5 seems reasonable. I would also think that if it went to trial & he lost (w/only the current charges) that he could get a few years w/most of it suspended. Not sure if the fed. charges have sentencing guidelines that preclude suspending parts of a sentence.

I don't see why the nfl wouldn't let him back if he's contrite & serves his time, etc. I think he's already on track to do that, as he's apologized to the falcons & fans. the only way I see this ending his career is if the gambling stuff is linked to sports, especially football. Then he'd really be screwed, and the timing of the nba ref doesn't help either.

Chief X_Phackter 08-16-2007 12:11 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;340652]Well, Lewis didn't kill anybody. I think all the evidence points towards the two thugs he was with. But he covered it up and played dumb to the police. So in my view that is worse than what Vick did.

Fighting pit bulls and betting on it is wrong and I certainly don't condone it. It's disgusting. But a year or more in jail? C'mon![/quote]

Just so you know, I didn't establish the laws Vick broke or the potential sentencing for breaking those laws. The fact of the matter is that he faces at least $350,000 in fines and six years in prison if convicted of all the charges. So, more than a year in jail???? YES

The indictment claims that Vick and his codefendants killed no less than 8 dogs that either lost fights or failed fight tests. The method of killing ranged from electrocution, drowning, hanging to slamming a dog’s body to the ground until dead.

I have no sympathy for whatever happens to him and I really hope he gets the max.

BleedBurgundy 08-16-2007 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=Carnage;340635]There is no such thing as Parole from federal prison. He will do every day of his sentence.[/QUOTE]

really? Never knew that... I can gladly say my experience with Fed Prison is limited to what I read and watch on tv. :) Still, he should take the deal.