Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   World Cup (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=57791)

Chico23231 06-13-2014 06:30 PM

World Cup

Got told today leaving working by an upper management rep that it wasn't cool to openly make fun of soccer on a conference call. Not being inclusive. The call was with folks out of California who I respect. Someone complained? Eff soccer

HailGreen28 06-13-2014 09:08 PM

Re: World Cup

Inclusive of what?

Chico23231 06-13-2014 09:46 PM

[quote=HailGreen28;1074001]Inclusive of what?[/quote]

Bullshit. Insensitive to someone who would leave early to watch the first game. Just made a couple just jokes and think someone took it the wrong way.

SmootSmack 06-14-2014 10:26 AM

So anyway...anyone want to actually discuss the World Cup. Spain took a beating yesterday. I mean their goalie looked like he was just plucked off the street to play

NC_Skins 06-14-2014 11:08 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;1074020]So anyway...anyone want to actually discuss the World Cup. Spain took a beating yesterday. I mean their goalie looked like he was just plucked off the street to play[/quote]

I missed the game, but from highlights, it looked like those were some routine saves that some average joe could have made.

Some matches I'm going to catching soon:

Germany/Portugal

US/Ghana

England/Italy

I may catch the Argentina game to watch Messi. Also, let's hope Klinsmann didn't make a mistake by leaving Donovan off the team. Also, the US is is a brutal group. Ughhh..

CooleyAsCanBe 06-14-2014 04:58 PM

I'm happy to thread jack this into a pro-soccer thread. (They were over-sensitive, Chico. I'm sure your jokes were fine, but we soccer fans can be like our favorite players and go down with little or no contact.)

That Spain-Netherlands game was fun to watch. At work they set up a TV in one of the conference rooms and are showing all the games. Appropriate to this thread, it was the perfect game for people who aren't interested in soccer. That van Persie goal was ridiculous. Really liked the dark blue jerseys, too.

Chico23231 06-14-2014 06:22 PM

I'm pulling for the usual: the us, Netherlands, and England.

NC_Skins 06-14-2014 07:56 PM

Rooney played like absolute shit against Italy. England had many opportunities to tie it up but couldn't capitalize. It seems with about 15 mins left to go in the game, Italy put the clamps down on defense and England never sniffed another shot again.

Ruhskins 06-15-2014 02:07 PM

Just got my heartbroken by my home team Ecuador. I would have been happy with the 1-1 tie. I don't think we can take France. Oh well.

CooleyAsCanBe 06-15-2014 11:39 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1074035]Just got my heartbroken by my home team Ecuador. I would have been happy with the 1-1 tie. I don't think we can take France. Oh well.[/quote]

That was a tough loss, man. You guys looked good early on. I was happy to see mi querida Argentina win, and also happy to see Messi score. Kid's amazing, but Argentines generally are apathetic towards him.

NC_Skins 06-16-2014 01:31 PM

Germany is putting it to Portugal. Figured it would be a much better game.

Ruhskins 06-16-2014 03:10 PM

Portugal is making me feel better about Ecuador's loss.

BDBohnzie 06-16-2014 04:36 PM

Iker Casillas is one of the best keepers in the World, and he got lambasted by the Dutch. Doesn't help that Spain's defence is weak as it is, and they completely rolled over.

I missed the Three Lions match with Gli Azzurri. Hate that Balotelli scored the game winner. England could be in trouble as Costa Rica and Uruguay aren't exactly weak teams.

Portugal got taken to the cleaners today by Germany. I know Germany is strong, but they looked invincible today.

When not rooting for the US, I root for Les Bleus, and they held their own against Honduras behind Benzema's brace.

NC_Skins 06-16-2014 05:05 PM

I feel for any of you that watched that Nigeria/Iran game. I want my 92 minutes back. SOOOOOooo dreadful. Passing by Nigeria was some of the worst I've ever witnessed.

Chico23231 06-16-2014 06:06 PM

Wow