Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Official Lost: The Final Season Thread (Warning: Possible Spoilers) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=35065)

SmootSmack 02-02-2010 04:09 PM

The Official Lost: The Final Season Thread (Warning: Possible Spoilers)

The final season kicks of tonight at 8pm (EST) on ABC.

Discuss the final season here

saden1 02-02-2010 04:51 PM

Re: The Official Lost: The Final Season Thread (Warning: Possible Spoilers)

I'm hoping they all die seeing how they all should have died from the beginning.

firstdown 02-02-2010 04:58 PM

So if I watch this tonight I will be back on track because I got lost after like the 3rd episode.

GMScud 02-03-2010 01:47 AM

[quote=firstdown;659893]So if I watch this tonight I will be back on track because I got lost after like the 3rd episode.[/quote]

Ummm, not so much. It's really complex, with so many layers. It's hard to imagine anyone is totally "on track" given how much has gone on over the years and how much is left to the imagination. I've never missed an episode in 5+ years, and it's still tough sometimes to remember all the story-lines and past episodes. Fortunately they give you periodic "recaps" to help keep the average viewer up to speed. It really is great TV. I'd say it has to be one of the best written TV series of all time. I DVR'd tonight's premier, but I probably won't have a chance to get to it until Thursday night.

tryfuhl 02-03-2010 02:09 AM

So glad I didn't waste my time on this.

BDBohnzie 02-04-2010 10:48 AM

Check out Lost: Untangled on abc.com. Low budget recap of what happened in the previous episode. Quite amusing.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-02-2010 11:34 AM

it doesn't seem like there are very many lost fanatics here, but in case there's one or two of you, maybe you can help me out. i feel like the show has told us enough to figure out what everything is building to, but i can't quite piece it together. maybe you guys can help me out. here are, what i beleive to be crucial facts to figuring things out:

1. jacob and the man in black are enemies, although there is some indication that they used to be friends
2. God used to love Jacob, but now he doesn't
3. the man in black is trying to go home
4. while we are led to beleive jacob is good, all we have seen jacob do is lie to and manipulate people
5. while we are led to believe the man in black is bad, all we have seen him do is tell the truth and ask them to make a decision
6. one of the major themes of the show is redemption
7. everyone on lost has daddy issues. Could it be that Jacob and/or the man in black do as well?
8. Lost is filled with judeo-christian religious symbolism
9. God can't see the Island (According to Ben, atleast)

The only theory i can think of so far that fits in with pretty much everything we've seen on Lost is that the MIB and Jacob were the two angels that God sent to keep people out of the Garden of Eden. However, Jacob decided to start letting people back in, and this is the source of the conflict between the two "men." I don't think that this theory is 100% correct, but I think its on the right track. What say you? What are your theories?

FRPLG 03-02-2010 11:40 AM

I think it is heavily influenced by judeo-christian but I think ultimately it will spin out to a more generic religiously influenced conclusion. I definitely don't see it playing out to a specific existing judeo-christian arc or theme though. There has been a lot bantered about Cain/Abel but that seems way too obvious and this show has always been anything but obvious. It will be an entirely fictional conclusion theme to me.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-02-2010 11:43 AM

[quote=FRPLG;667900]I think it is heavily influenced by judeo-christian but I think ultimately it will spin out to a more generic religiously influenced conclusion. I definitely don't see it playing out to a specific existing judeo-christian arc or theme though. There has been a lot bantered about Cain/Abel but that seems way too obvious and this show has always been anything but obvious. It will be an entirely fictional conclusion theme to me.[/quote]

i agree it won't clearly align itself with any specific religion, but i think the general story will play out that way. pretty much every old religion on earth teaches that man once lived in a eden-type paradise, but lost it, and that there was a flood that destroyed pretty much everything. I guess my basic theory is that Lost will essentially try to say, "this is the real story on which all of that is based."

BigHairedAristocrat 03-24-2010 10:47 AM

anyone else feel that Lost nuked the fridge last night?

skinsfanthru&thru 03-24-2010 11:14 AM

Last night's episode was awesome and I needed that because Sawyer's episode was kinda boring. It didn't really have any importance to it other than CW getting to the island. Of course I could think last night's episode was awesome because I think Richard is one of the more interesting characters on the series and it also fleshed out more of the back story between Jacob and the man in black.

Schneed10 03-24-2010 01:24 PM

Last night's episode finally clearly spelled out the battle that is taking place at the island (and I thought it was a job well done by the actor who plays Richard, whoever he is). But now the interesting part is what role does each remaining character play in the good vs evil struggle.

You have Sawyer in a position to lead devil-Locke to Charles Widmoor, you have Ben who regretted the choices he made seemingly on the cusp of turning towards the good, you have Richard whose choice is clear after last night.

And then of course there's Jack. The line that struck me from last night was when Jacob told Richard on the beach, "I don't want to step in, why should I have to tell people what to do? I want them to know what's right on their own." To me, he was speaking directly to Jack, and once and for all over the final 7 episodes it will be up to Jack to make a decision, take a course of action, and decide where he stands.

Each character's choice will be very interesting.

FRPLG 03-24-2010 02:19 PM

[quote=Schneed10;677969]Last night's episode finally clearly spelled out the battle that is taking place at the island (and I thought it was a job well done by the actor who plays Richard, whoever he is). But now the interesting part is what role does each remaining character play in the good vs evil struggle.

You have Sawyer in a position to lead devil-Locke to Charles Widmoor, you have Ben who regretted the choices he made seemingly on the cusp of turning towards the good, you have Richard whose choice is clear after last night.

And then of course there's Jack. The line that struck me from last night was when Jacob told Richard on the beach, "I don't want to step in, why should I have to tell people what to do? I want them to know what's right on their own." To me, he was speaking directly to Jack, and once and for all over the final 7 episodes it will be up to Jack to make a decision, take a course of action, and decide where he stands.

Each character's choice will be very interesting.[/quote]

I'm not so sure we even know which side is good and which is evil. The man in black is hell bent on getting off the island at whatever cost for whatever reason. BUT he never lies. He does engage in some cagey manipulation but you pretty much know where he stands. Jacob on the other hand is constantly lying and in full-bore manipulation mode ALL THE TIME. I'm still wondering whether Jacob is really the evil one. Maybe there isn't a real definite answer to that question.

KLHJ2 03-24-2010 03:20 PM

I'm just going to wait for the whole thing on DVD and watch 2 episodes per day for 54 days until I've seen the whole thing.

BigHairedAristocrat 03-25-2010 10:02 AM

It seems like im in the minority, but i was completely and utterly disappointed with Ab Aeterno. My disappointment had nothing to do with the excellent direction, cinematography, and acting in the episode. Nestor, Mark, and Titus were all superb. However, I take issue with the extremely ridiculous and cheesy explainations the Lost writers have given us to some of the shows mysteries:

-The island is a cork that keeps "evil" out of the world? I would think that after 6 years, the writers could come up with something more interesting and original than that.

-Jacobs alleged motives don't make any sense when viewed in light of his actions. Two examples:

1) He’ll bring people to the island and then just lets smokey kill them off? The ones that surive are given a “clean slate” on life, but they arent told of this – so how would they act any differently than they would have if they’d not come to the Island? If Jacob wants to prove a point to the MIB, why not just observe humanity off the island? Jacob speaks of good and bad, yet he has brought hundreds of people to the island to die just to prove a point to one other person.

2) Based on principle, Jacob won’t interfere with people that come to the island, but he’ll appoint Richard to do the same thing on his behalf? Thats like saying murder is wrong, but i’ll pay a hitman to kill someone for me. it doesnt make any sense and is another example of lazy writing.

- And worst of all – What happens if the man in black leaves the island? Everyone goes to hell. REALLY? i don't even know where to begin on that one.

I certainly hope neither Jacob or the MIB weren’t being truthful in this weeks episode and that both of them were just using Richards Catholic belief system to manipulate him. Thats my one hope for the show at this point. Possible evidence that Jacob’s a big fat liar – it would appear the sideways timeline is one where the island is sunk – the illustrative cork has been popped – and it doesn’t seem like the world is any more evil than the original timeline we’ve seen on the show. So maybe the “Man in Locke” was being truthful when he told Sawyer in the cave that the island didn’t need protecting and it’s “just a d@mned island.” Maybe Jacob is just some crazy lunatic that has superpowers.

If the writers of show really expect us to beleive and be satisfied with the explainations they gave us in Ab Aeterno, then Lost has officially nuked the fridge/jumped the shark/whatever you want to call it. just like BSG, the writers may be getting lazy as the show ends.