Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Post draft breakdown (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64834)

AnonEmouse 05-06-2021 12:58 PM

Re: Post draft breakdown

I think the knock on him is apparently:
He played primarily as a blocking TE and he doesn't have a great resume as a catcher.
He lacks an extra gear/plays at one pace.
He's tough but doesn't make guys miss, shrug off tackles etc.

Watching the film, I can actually believe all that, but he has good hands, he gets open, has good reach, attacks the ball and he's a good blocker. IF he can show that at this level, he'll be a good complement to Thomas. If Reyes can turn his athleticism into being a great TE he'll probably eclipse Bates, but Bates looks like he should step in as #2 TE from day 1.

MTK 05-06-2021 01:49 PM

Cooley is usually pretty tough on evaluating TE's, so the fact he had a glowing opinion about this kid gives me a lot of hope.

skinsfaninok 05-06-2021 01:50 PM

Cooley also has some very out there takes... He knows his stuff but he reminds me of a Skip sometimes

Monkeydad 05-06-2021 01:52 PM

Definitely no Sprinkle. He's the king of 4-yard receptions.

DYoungJelly 05-06-2021 06:51 PM

[quote=MTK;1283331]Got excited about our new TE Bates after listening to Cooley on him. He loves him, said he reminds him of himself. Not sure what the initial comp to Jeremy Sprinkle was all about, Bates looks way more athletic.

[URL="https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/chris-cooley-very-high-washington-rookie-john-bates"]'Love this dude': Cooley is high on Washington's John Bates[/URL]

[YT]LDLb60v3NAM[/YT][/quote]

Agree 100.

This dude will have a huge impact on the offense. Sprinkle being on the field was a huge tell and was no threat.

This guy can help in the run game immensely and catch an 8 yard pass in the flat. Truly a dual threat.

Prediction: he will play considerable snaps for a 4th round pick.

punch it in 05-06-2021 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=Monkeydad;1283343]Definitely no Sprinkle. He's the king of 4-yard receptions.[/QUOTE]

If he actually catches it first....

SkinzWin 05-06-2021 10:58 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1283172]Yeah pretty bold talk from a guy who isnít in the league right now. 🤦*♂️[/quote]

I saw a report that said Robert wants to mentor Trey Lance. On what? How to not get your 5th year option picked up?

SkinzWin 05-06-2021 11:07 PM

[quote=MTK;1283331]Got excited about our new TE Bates after listening to Cooley on him. He loves him, said he reminds him of himself. Not sure what the initial comp to Jeremy Sprinkle was all about, Bates looks way more athletic.

[URL="https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/chris-cooley-very-high-washington-rookie-john-bates"]'Love this dude': Cooley is high on Washington's John Bates[/URL]

[YT]LDLb60v3NAM[/YT][/quote]

I was listening to Sirius XM NFL radio the other afternoon on the way home from work and Jim and Pat were talking about Bates. Said during a team interview Bates was asked what he needed to work on. The team staff member who had talked to Jim and Pat said most players answer something about selfish personal stats, like catch more balls, etc. this guy told Jim and Pat that Batesí answer was the only time the WFT interviewer has EVER heard this said as an answer. ďWhatever I have to do to win coach, Iíll do whatever it takes to win.Ē

I got a fucking hard on hearing that and thatís why I love Ron so much. He prioritizes this kind of mindset and is building an entire locker room full of guys with this mentality. Iím am so psyched for this year. Bates is going to play a good sized role for us.

skinsfan69 05-06-2021 11:37 PM

The wr room got real crowded. Gandy Golden, Harmon and both Sims could be in trouble.

sdskinsfan2001 05-06-2021 11:52 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1283368]The wr room got real crowded. Gandy Golden, Harmon and both Sims could be in trouble.[/quote]

Harmon is my dude. I think he will be a good player. But that's just my opinion.

Hope he sticks.

I think we need to keep 6 WRs:

McLaurin, Samuel, Brown (that's my starting 3), Harmon, Sims, and 1 of Sims Jr., Milne, Wright, Gandy or Humphries.

Harmon wasn't drafted by Rivera, so Gandy might have the edge over him.

FrenchSkin 05-07-2021 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=MTK;1283341]Cooley is usually pretty tough on evaluating TE's, so the fact he had a glowing opinion about this kid gives me a lot of hope.[/QUOTE]Yeah just listened to it, he definitely seems to think there's a lot of potential here. Not gonna wow anybody with speed but if he gets open, catches it, and is a solid blocker... I'd say that's something we haven't had on this roster since... Cooley retired ? (Not saying he is Cooley or is gonna turn into Cooley, but who was our last true all around TE ?)

Envoyť de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

punch it in 05-07-2021 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=sdskinsfan2001;1283369]Harmon is my dude. I think he will be a good player. But that's just my opinion.

Hope he sticks.

I think we need to keep 6 WRs:

McLaurin, Samuel, Brown (that's my starting 3), Harmon, Sims, and 1 of Sims Jr., Milne, Wright, Gandy or Humphries.

Harmon wasn't drafted by Rivera, so Gandy might have the edge over him.[/QUOTE]

I think Harmon could be good too. I agree with your 5. I want to keep AGG and Humphries though - who I think is a lock. Fuck Sims JR. Milne and Wright are gone. Can we keep 7? Probably not.

MTK 05-07-2021 09:14 AM

[quote=punch it in;1283379]I think Harmon could be good too. I agree with your 5. I want to keep AGG and Humphries though - who I think is a lock. Fuck Sims JR. Milne and Wright are gone. Can we keep 7? Probably not.[/quote]

Just based on what we saw last year Wright > AGG.

AGG didn't show us squat.