Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sua Cravens (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=63944)

Schneed10 09-04-2017 02:59 PM

Sua Cravens

Some of our threads get so wide ranging and I thought this subject could use its own place.

So many thoughts. On one hand I can't begrudge anybody for doing what they think will make them feel happy and as fulfilled as possible. And on the other hand I think about how committed you need to be in order to compete at a professional level, and how he would even be received in the locker room after this. I couldn't blame his defensive teammates if they didn't want any part of him, now.

But more than anything, I just think what an indictment of Scot McCloughan. All he ever talked about was wanting Football Players; guys who ate slepted and breathed the game. Guys with a passion for it, guys with character who gave everything they had to give.

And it comes out now that Cravens disappeared from USC when injured, going MIA from the team for three days. And Mike Jones reports that to those who knew him from USC, they're hardly surprised at the news that he's contemplating retirement.

That's the furthest thing from a Scot McCloughan Football Player there ever was. What a failure to identify the characteristics he always noted as crucial.

This Cravens thing is disappointing in so many ways, but I think none more so than in highlighting the overrated performance of Scot McCloughan as GM. It's not that Scot completely blew it, I'm very thankful for Scherff and Crowder among others. But for someone who can so articulately describe the personal characteristics that make a winning football team, he sure didn't identify them consistently enough in his draft selections.

Hope Sua does what's best for him. I think I hope he rides off into the sunset so Jay can drive home the point that effort trumps ability. Deshazor Everett deserves to start, no matter how much more talented Cravens is.

FrenchSkin 09-04-2017 03:25 PM

Re: Sua Cravens

[quote=Schneed10;1173166]Some of our threads get so wide ranging and I thought this subject could use its own place.

So many thoughts. On one hand I can't begrudge anybody for doing what they think will make them feel happy and as fulfilled as possible. And on the other hand I think about how committed you need to be in order to compete at a professional level, and how he would even be received in the locker room after this. [B]I couldn't blame his defensive teammates if they didn't want any part of him, now.
[/B]
But more than anything, I just think what an indictment of Scot McCloughan. All he ever talked about was wanting Football Players; guys who ate slepted and breathed the game. Guys with a passion for it, guys with character who gave everything they had to give.

And it comes out now that Cravens disappeared from USC when injured, going MIA from the team for three days. And Mike Jones reports that to those who knew him from USC, they're hardly surprised at the news that he's contemplating retirement.

That's the furthest thing from a Scot McCloughan Football Player there ever was. What a failure to identify the characteristics he always noted as crucial.

This Cravens thing is disappointing in so many ways, but I think none more so than in highlighting the overrated performance of Scot McCloughan as GM. It's not that Scot completely blew it, I'm very thankful for Scherff and Crowder among others. But for someone who can so articulately describe the personal characteristics that make a winning football team, he sure didn't identify them consistently enough in his draft selections.

Hope Sua does what's best for him. I think I hope he rides off into the sunset so Jay can drive home the point that effort trumps ability. Deshazor Everett deserves to start, no matter how much more talented Cravens is.[/quote]

This right here pretty much nails it IMO.

Even if this was just a personal matter that he didn't manage to handle on his own, and he does decide to come back to football, I'm thinking he wouldn't want to come back to this team... could you imagine stepping back into that locker room after this?

That would need a lot of peaceful communication from both him and his teammates for this to work out.

At the same time if he really did fully decide to come back, I'm guessing his teammates would ease down after he made a few good plays. The field is the best place to solve problems.

But all that reasoning is useless if he just walks out.

Chico23231 09-04-2017 03:28 PM

Deshazor Everett has worked his tail off and shown the commitment to his craft..and has beaten the odds to start in the NFL. I'm really hoping it works out for him. He is the opposite of how Cravens has handled his opportunity.

We are assuming a lot of this is injury driven decision from Cravens...is it? Can we confirm this? On the other hand if he simply doesn't want to play...that's ok too I guess. But again, why is this effing coming out a week before the season. This is completely unacceptable.

Now what will set me off is if Cravens is using this as a reason to leave the skins and play somewhere else. This is a big assumption based on nothing but just a hunch. If this is the case, this is completely unacceptable.

Only this franchise folks.

spearhead05 09-04-2017 04:29 PM

I agree with both of these post. Well said sirs

SFREDSKIN 09-04-2017 05:04 PM

Montae Nicholson is looking promising and Harvey-Clemons should be shifted back to S if Cravens retires. Harvey-Clemons could be like Kam Chancellor.

rocnrik 09-04-2017 05:45 PM

yea and the redskins caught hell for letting Scott go..he botched this up..

mooby 09-04-2017 06:05 PM

One player does not a scathing indictment of a gm make. What's the average percentage of draft picks that work out well for a team anyway. Thirdly, the smart consensus is that it takes 3 years to adequately grade draft picks anyways, yet here we are already claiming guys like Preston Smith, Doctson, and Kendall Fuller busts because they didn't start their careers strong? Idc about later round picks because those are crap shoots anyway, go find out the percentage of 4-7th + undrafted players that ended up long term contributors to their original drafting teams anyways, and come back and tell me how common it is for entire draft classes to pan out.

Yes, I agree, this reflects poorly on McCloughan, especially given his speech about drafting guys who love the game. But it's one guy. One draft pick wavering on his commitment. How many picks has McC been responsible for since the 49ers started giving him more control? Let me guess, those picks don't count because they were made by other teams.

His overall body of work still stands up for me, even though you guys have already given up on his draft classes of 15-17. What the fuck does it say that we still use his scouting services, and this year's class still had his footprints all over it, even though they canned him after badmouthing him. Yall motherfuckers clueless. The draft is a crapshoot anyways, has any of you learned anything from watching the NFL anyways? Motherfucking undrafted players end up in the HOF. Yeah, this reflects especially poorly on him. But weak ass knee jerk reactions like this invalidating McC's career work is weak as fuck.

mooby 09-04-2017 06:10 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1173166] I couldn't blame his defensive teammates if they didn't want any part of him, now.

[/quote]

S/N I forgot to mention this but this is a very important point. Even if he comes back, some teammates might forgive him, but others won't. And if Jay preaches about earning your starting spot it means he will be riding the bench. Everett has earned it, so it's his job to lose. For our sakes I hope he does well enough we can forget about Cravens. The kid is done here, even if he makes it through the season.

insane4theskinsi 09-04-2017 06:12 PM

if he makes the decision to retire,i just wander why he made it now as opposed to before he had surgery? and if he has a money advisor,he would be stupid to retire now being he has money to repay to the team.

mredskins 09-04-2017 09:12 PM

I think the Carvens situation is just one more piece that shows McC was not the 2nd coming of Jesus. His picks really have not panned out. I think we are back to mediocre thanks mainly to Gruden. After the Vinny shit show getting this team back to mediocre is no small step.

Schneed10 09-04-2017 09:28 PM

Mooby I fully agree that we should not jump to conclusions on the very young group. I think Fuller in particular has a skill set to be very valuable for us this year, let alone over the next three.

But if you're doing your research on the backgrounds of players, I don't know how you don't come up with a whiff of something sour on Cravens.

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge in my OP that it's not right to crap on everything McC did. But a high second rounder is a big miss.

At the time, we sorely needed an expert talent scout and he was a good hire. I wouldn't undo it. I'm just recognizing that his performance - a mix of good and bad - did not justify the pedestal I put him on.

los panda 09-04-2017 09:33 PM

sad to read about this, would be such a waste of a 2nd round pick.

...following matt jones as a waste of a 3rd round pick, dog shit.

hopefully doctson doesn't amount to a waste of a 1st round pick for the trifecta.

so important to draft players who love the game.

mooby 09-04-2017 09:52 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1173178]Mooby I fully agree that we should not jump to conclusions on the very young group. I think Fuller in particular has a skill set to be very valuable for us this year, let alone over the next three.

But if you're doing your research on the backgrounds of players, I don't know how you don't come up with a whiff of something sour on Cravens.

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge in my OP that it's not right to crap on everything McC did. But a high second rounder is a big miss.

At the time, we sorely needed an expert talent scout and he was a good hire. I wouldn't undo it. I'm just recognizing that his performance - a mix of good and bad - did not justify the pedestal I put him on.[/quote]

I don't know how he missed that Cravens walked out for 3 days while injured at USC either, either he knew and drafted him or he didn't know. Either way looks bad regardless. But I still trust him as a talent evaluator. As far as available talent evaluators go, he would still be near the top of my list. I just think people that disliked him for a while are using this as an excuse to rip on McC, when the focus should be on Cravens' issues, and what we can do to absorb this blow.

FRPLG 09-04-2017 10:57 PM

SM is not GM anymore so I don't even waste any thought on it from that perspective.

As for how this played out...

Can't for a second begrudge someone from trying to be happy. Completely understand. But I do feel like he handled this pretty poorly. The timing just sucks. There are 89 other guys whose livelihood depend on teammates and coaches doing their jobs. There are countless coaches and scouts whose lives get affected by this stuff. I think the player had a duty to not leave the team holding the bag like this. Just in terms of timing. Someone got cut that didn't need to get cut because of the timing.

FrenchSkin 09-05-2017 02:29 AM

[quote=mredskins;1173177]I think the Carvens situation is just one more piece that shows McC was not the 2nd coming of Jesus. His picks really have not panned out. [B]I think we are back to mediocre thanks mainly to Gruden[/B]. After the Vinny shit show getting this team back to mediocre is no small step.[/quote]

C'mon man! A young player thinks about retiring and this wipes out 2 back to back winning seasons, a top 5 offense last year, and what should be an improved D this year ?

Back to mediocre? Really ? Thanks to JG ?! Really ?

Go back and watch 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons! That's mediocre ! The last 2 seasons were not. And this season will not be.

Some of you deserve more of Rex Grossman as your QB and Bacarri Rambo and Whitner as your safeties, as a reminder of what mediocre feels like.