Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mike & the Mad Dog Comments re: Giants vs Skins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=2878)

ChounsMan 09-17-2004 11:31 AM

Mike & the Mad Dog Comments re: Giants vs Skins

I was listening to Mike & 'Mad Dog' Chris Russo (AM-660 WFAN 'The Fan')yesterday on my way home from work. Mike was quoted as saying "who are the Redskins?, they didn't do much against the Bucs, the Bucs are not even a very good football team this year, the Redskins have not proved anything thus far, just because Gibbs is back does not mean that they are better than the Giants". Mike & Chris went on to say that this is a must win for the Giants & the Redskins should NOT be able to come into their house & beat the Giants.

Boy are they in for a surprise! :lol:

Living in the Metropolitan area I hear this trash talk on the AM dial everyday, but the simple fact is, the Skins are a much better team right now than the Giants are. If the Skins lose I will consider it an upset, even though they are playing on the road.

I can not wait for Monday night football on the 27th!
:dallas:

redwagonskins 09-17-2004 12:04 PM

Is there a "Mad Dog" in every city? How about some originality. It's the same with "Hacksaw".

offiss 09-17-2004 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=ChounsMan]I was listening to Mike & 'Mad Dog' Chris Russo (AM-660 WFAN 'The Fan')yesterday on my way home from work. Mike was quoted as saying "who are the Redskins?, they didn't do much against the Bucs, the Bucs are not even a very good football team this year, the Redskins have not proved anything thus far, just because Gibbs is back does not mean that they are better than the Giants". Mike & Chris went on to say that this is a must win for the Giants & the Redskins should NOT be able to come into their house & beat the Giants.

Boy are they in for a surprise! :lol:

Living in the Metropolitan area I hear this trash talk on the AM dial everyday, but the simple fact is, the Skins are a much better team right now than the Giants are. If the Skins lose I will consider it an upset, even though they are playing on the road.

I can not wait for Monday night football on the 27th!
:dallas:[/QUOTE]

I didn't catch it, but I think they are correct about the Buc's, but they really don't understand how bad this Giant team is, and they don't understand how much talent is on our team, they will understand after sunday!

Brute44 09-17-2004 12:20 PM

I think they are mistaken when they say the Redskins didn't do much against the Bucs. First off, the score should have been 23-10 if it wasn't for that ridiculous call where Brunnel got the first down inside the 10. Secondly our D was in total control of the Bucs O ALL DAY LONG and only gave up 3. I would say our Special Teams got beat by the Bucs. Finally the Bucs D is still pretty good and I knew that this game would be a test for our Offensive line so all in all I'd say our O play very good mistake free ball. I believe this week against the Giants Brunnel will play better and the D will dominate again.

JWsleep 09-17-2004 12:26 PM

I live up here and have to put up with this nonsense year after year. One, these guys are homers: they're not about to get behind the skins. Two: every year there's hype about the skins, and then we don't live up to expectations. Three: The bucs aren't great. So fine, whatever.

But until we actually do kick the crap out of this team, it's all talk. Our record has been pathetic against the NFC east, and that's all that folks remember up here. 1991 is a LONG time ago. WE MUST CRUSH THE GIANTS!!!!! THat's the only thing that will shut them up!!!

MTK 09-17-2004 12:27 PM

These guys are big time homers, the Giants could be 1-14 and the Skins 14-1 and these guys would bet the house on the Giants. Typical New Yorkers, blind as can be.

NFLNetwork 09-17-2004 12:28 PM

i definately agree. I think as our offense gets more expirience, it will catch up to our defense...so watch out, we're only going to get better. If that game was week 5 instead of week 1, it would've been a blowout.

MTK 09-17-2004 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=redwagonskins]Is there a "Mad Dog" in every city? How about some originality. It's the same with "Hacksaw".[/QUOTE]
That reminds me, what I think is funny is how these sports radio stations always have the same dumb names like 'the team' or 'the fan'

SUNRA 09-17-2004 12:35 PM

I know the reputation of Mike and the Mad Dog and what's very apparent is that Mike Francesca is an idiot who allows his personal feelings and bias with the Skins' to overshadow his so-called journalistic objective reporting. He like a lot of NY reporters are going to talk about how the Giant's had so many opportunities to score on us and how we didn't win the game, the Giants simply gave up. You know the same ole sh*t.
But the buzz around town is there is so much division within their camp that they will be lucky to win 4 games this year. Let's just make sure we're not the team to give them a W.

EEich 09-17-2004 01:24 PM

I listen to these guys every day... sure they're homers, but for the most part they're reasonable and level headed about that kinda stuff. Mike is no idiot... couldn't exactly say that about Russo though.

Really, what have the Redskins done so far? If I'm going to be completely objective, I'd have to say they played a pretty good defensive game and had one really good breakoff run. Offensively, they didn't show me much more than that. They couldn't consistently move the ball and the passing game looked weak. I wouldn't be ready to declare them division champs yet either.

Sure, I'm a Redskin homer and I think they're better than that... but they haven't shown me yet. Personally, I think they'll crush the Gints.

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]These guys are big time homers, the Giants could be 1-14 and the Skins 14-1 and these guys would bet the house on the Giants. Typical New Yorkers, blind as can be.[/QUOTE]

RedskinRat 09-17-2004 01:30 PM

EEich Said "Really, what have the Redskins done so far? If I'm going to be completely objective, I'd have to say they played a pretty good defensive game and had one really good breakoff run. Offensively, they didn't show me much more than that. They couldn't consistently move the ball. I wouldn't be ready to declare them division champs yet either."

First year for the coaching staff, new players on the squad, playing a ferocious D. I think they did very well, they will improve as the season goes on.

NY_Skinsfan 09-17-2004 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=JWsleep] WE MUST CRUSH THE GIANTS!!!!! [/QUOTE]

:smashfrea

Gmanc711 09-17-2004 01:33 PM

It sucks that these guys have so much bs from the past to use now. Whatever, this weekend, we must come out and BIG. We can absolutley demolish this team, lets hope we do!

EEich 09-17-2004 01:38 PM

Our coaching and player changes don't matter to other teams.
How we perform does. That was a good game. Not a great one.

[QUOTE=RedskinRat]First year for the coaching staff, new players on the squad, playing a ferocious D. I think they did very well, they will improve as the season goes on.[/QUOTE]

ChounsMan 09-17-2004 01:44 PM

One thing I know we all agree on. The Redskins made great moves this off season & they are already showing on the field.
This is going to be a great season to a Skins fan again :)

Gibbs didn't come out of retirement to pad his total vistories. Gibbs returned to bring back VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hail to the Redskins...etc....

Duffman003 09-17-2004 01:59 PM

Best QB Wr duo

Most people put Payton and Harrison or Culpepper and Moss but I found this funny quote by Gregg Easterbrook "I'd say the hottest quarterback and receiver combo is whoever is quarterbacking against the Ravens throwing to whomever Deion Sanders is covering."

bedlamVR 09-17-2004 02:20 PM

The coaching and player changes make a huge difference to how we perform though and while our passing game was weak it was not the schemes that were poor, brunell had months to pass but the problem is the players not being on the same page. Also I think it was a game plan thing to grind the ball out there, keep possetion, don't try too many things in the air but do enough to keep the D honest and not allow them to simply tee off against Portis.

For people to say the bucs are a bad team offensivly okay they are not world beaters but Rice, Brooks, Barber and McFarland all lined up on D with kiffin coaching them against us and i challenge anyone to say that is not a top unit. Thier O is he weak link and three points they did score were teed up by fantastic special teams play.

As to what the skins have done? well i agree they have done nothing yet no one ever won a superbowl with a record of 1-0 but the attitude is different. Last year the hot streek we hit early we lucked upon came up to teams when they were still finding thier feet and when they did find thier feet teams just gave us a good kicking we actually regressed without signifficant injuries from week three onwards. This year you only have to look at the O-line for the switch around they let Brunell get hit twice and this is the same line that aided and abbetted along with the Spurriers blocking schemes the gamly mugging of whoever was unfortunate to be the QB at the time. But even that huge change around hasn't seen egos boosted it was not "hey look how well we did" more "we let our QB get nailed twice we need to do much better".

Time will tell if the Skins live up to thier hype this year as always... lets hope we don't hace the same disapointements.

JoeRedskin 09-17-2004 03:06 PM

Patience, Patience - In the end, we will all be able to say "I told you so". The announcers are all leaving themselves some wiggle room right now so that they can come back later and say things like "well, I thought they might be for real from the beginning, I was just making sure it wasn't another fake-out like last year".

But - the reality is, all these guys are saying Gibbs and discipline are the ONLY reason that the Skins will improve. None are even hinting that the team has talent and that is what they just don't get.

Collingsworth said at one point during the Bucs game (as Brunell sat back, ordered Pizza, took some calls and still had time left over to check down to his fourth read):
"Wow, does coaching really make that much of a difference, these guys don't look anything like they did last year."

Yes, coaching does make that big a difference WHEN YOU HAVE TALENTED PLAYERS.

The bottom line is that there is a lot more to this team (offensively) then Gibbs, Portis and Coles and (defensively), as Williams said on the Skins site, blitzing only works when you can count on guys to win their individual battles.

The bottom line is annoucers/reporters across the country are seriously underestimating the talent/desire on this team.

celts32 09-17-2004 03:14 PM

I heard these two clowns talk about the game between 5 and 6 last night and they both thought the Giants would win a tossup game. In fairness to Francessa I have a hard time believing that he said the... "who are the Redskins?, they didn't do much against the Bucs, the Bucs are not even a very good football team this year, the Redskins have not proved anything thus far, just because Gibbs is back does not mean that they are better than the Giants". Maybe he did say it, but that totally sounds like a Mad Dog comment. Every time I have heard Mike F talk about the Skins he has showered Gibbs with praise. Mad Dog on the other hand is a buffoon though who seems to know very little about anything other than baseball and tennis.

Anyway unless you like baseball those two are not very good to listen to. they talk baseball on the Friday before the Super Bowl. 365 days a year...baseball..baseball...baseball. So annoying.

SmootSmack 09-17-2004 03:18 PM

Here is what makes Gibbs special, or at least one of the things. Even if the Redskins had annihilated the Bucs last week he'd still have the team working hard in practice this week and believing they hadn't accomplished anything yet. A better team can beat the Redskins but I don't see the Redskins beating themselves this year-with dumb mistakes-as in past years. This is absolutely a must win for the Giants but I just don't see the Redskins losing to these guys.

celts32 09-17-2004 03:46 PM

Everyone sounds so confident the Skins are going to kill the Giants on Sunday. I hope so, but I don't really see it that way. I think this game is going to be close just like every other Giants Redskins game is. I know the Giants look terrible right now but divisional road games are still no walk in the park no matter who they are against. I am very concerned about this game. The Giants will also get an extra boost out of thier home opener. I think the skins will be very fortunate to get out of the swamp with a win on Sunday.

MTK 09-17-2004 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=EEich]I listen to these guys every day... sure they're homers, but for the most part they're reasonable and level headed about that kinda stuff. Mike is no idiot... couldn't exactly say that about Russo though.

Really, what have the Redskins done so far? If I'm going to be completely objective, I'd have to say they played a pretty good defensive game and had one really good breakoff run. Offensively, they didn't show me much more than that. They couldn't consistently move the ball and the passing game looked weak. I wouldn't be ready to declare them division champs yet either.

Sure, I'm a Redskin homer and I think they're better than that... but they haven't shown me yet. Personally, I think they'll crush the Gints.[/QUOTE]
If someone is going to ask what have the Skins done, I ask what have the Giants done besides getting their tails handed to them?

JoeRedskin 09-17-2004 05:03 PM

Is the line still at 3? And, if so, how do I get a piece of that? (I am serious - I have never bet on a game except between friends).

saden1 09-17-2004 05:23 PM

I want to see how mad they are when our defense dismantles the Giants.

That Guy 09-17-2004 05:26 PM

[quote]If someone is going to ask what have the Skins done, I ask what have the Giants done besides getting their tails handed to them?[/quote]

it was the eagles who handed them their tail though ;) the locals up there need to think that the entire NFC east isn't going to be as hard as the eagles, otherwise they lose hope and revenue on their way to an awful record...

SUNRA 09-17-2004 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=celts32]Everyone sounds so confident the Skins are going to kill the Giants on Sunday. I hope so, but I don't really see it that way. I think this game is going to be close just like every other Giants Redskins game is. I know the Giants look terrible right now but divisional road games are still no walk in the park no matter who they are against. I am very concerned about this game. The Giants will also get an extra boost out of thier home opener. I think the skins will be very fortunate to get out of the swamp with a win on Sunday.[/QUOTE]
I've heard of cautious optimism, but celts32 you are pushing the envelope. The question isn't what have the Redskins done, it's can the Giants win more than one home game this year ? The Giants have lost the last 9 games at home. We beat them last year at the Meadowlands and ended Kerry Collins career as a Giant. Secondly, even with our inexperienced coaching staff, we still finished with a better record than them. Bascially, I would be more concerned with if we were playing them at home. The have no homefield advantage.

MTK 09-18-2004 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=JoeRedskin]Is the line still at 3? And, if so, how do I get a piece of that? (I am serious - I have never bet on a game except between friends).[/QUOTE]
I've got the Skins -3 and the under at 43

SKINSnCANES 09-18-2004 12:10 PM

-3? does that mean the Giants are favored now. I want a piece of that, ladies and gentlemen, place your bets!

Id probably be a safe bet to bet with under 43. I mean when we win 42-0, its still under 43 right?!!!

MTK 09-18-2004 12:14 PM

-3 = Skins are giving (favored) 3 points

wolfeskins 09-18-2004 12:32 PM

hey sunra,don't give celts32 that hard of a time.i tend to agree with him.last year was last year and last week was last week,you can set all that aside,this is a divisional game,on the road,its gonna be tough.the giants are gonna come out fired up,the skins need to be able to match their intensity,if not,it could be a long day for us.

SUNRA 09-18-2004 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=wolfeskins]hey sunra,don't give celts32 that hard of a time.i tend to agree with him.last year was last year and last week was last week,you can set all that aside,this is a divisional game,on the road,its gonna be tough.the giants are gonna come out fired up,the skins need to be able to match their intensity,if not,it could be a long day for us.[/QUOTE]

One thing we won't have to worry about and that's intensity from the Redskins. I think we are going to set the pace of the game early and dictate the pace of the game. Coach Williams used only 4 or 5 defensive schemes and kept calling them over and over. Look at the result. This is not the Redskin coaching staff of the past. If Coach Gibbs did not have a reputation for coaching up rank and file players to the Superbowl I wouldn't be saying this. Coach Gibbs won the Superbowl in his second season. And returned the Skins the next year. He will use every ounce of experience from his past to make this team a winner. That's the difference. In fact, I'm bold enough to say, we will win our division this year. If Norv Turner did it. Joe Gibbs will in a shorter period. Lastly, when Gibbs decided to come back for five years, I'm sure he was thinking about how many Superbowls he could win in that period.

wolfeskins 09-18-2004 11:39 PM

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT SUNRA. i guess i'm just so used to seeing the skins not play up to their capability and win the games that their supposed too.it's inbeded in my brain.

EEich 09-19-2004 08:51 PM

Sounds like they were on the right track. Redskins till didn't show me anything on offense.

SUNRA 09-19-2004 08:59 PM

The Mad Dog can go shove it. The Giants are still the Giants. They win one game everyone thought they would lose and next week they'll lose to Cleveland, a game they think they should easily win.

SUNRA 09-19-2004 09:03 PM

Wait a minute. Who put this post at the top of the board? Are you trying to rub it in? Let me see, I know I said we would dictate the flow of the game early in the game but I didn't think we would lose that momentum so qucikly.

EEich 09-19-2004 09:13 PM

I'm not trying to rub anything in... I hate that the Redskins lost.
I just think Mike and The Mad Dog were right.
We're not a good team yet.

sportscurmudgeon 09-20-2004 04:21 PM

Folks:

WFAN was the first all sports station in the US. So if other stations call themselves "The Fan", they are copying WFAN. For thge record, I am 99% sure that WIP in Philly was the second all-sports station in the US, but I'd have to go look that up to be sure and it isn't worth the effort.

Mike and the Mad Dog have been on The Fan since about 1991. All the "Mad Dogs" in the other cities on sports stations are copying Chris Russo. Remembver when WTEM had Kiley and The Coach? Given what that guy knew about sports, they could just as easily called him The Couch.

Now that Monday is here, I'm interested to see that all the bloviators from last week who were on MIke and the Mad Dog's case seem to want to let this thread slip into oblivion. Fact is folks, the Giants are a horrid team and the Skins lost to them in the Featured Game on Fox TV. Maybe those guys were lucky with their predictions, but they had it dead flat perfect!

MTK 09-20-2004 04:26 PM

It's easy to get a prediction correct when you always pick the same thing, sooner or later you're gonna be right.

They're still big time homers and the Giants still stink and will be lucky to win 6 games.

And yeah we were the worse team yesterday so that's not saying much.

sportscurmudgeon 09-20-2004 04:39 PM

Matty:

You are absolutely right. The Giants are a BAD team and will be fortunate to win 6 games. In fact, I think they might win only 4.