Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NFL ratings, TV deals, Jersey sales, Rule changes, Expansion, etc (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64073)

MTK 01-31-2018 10:25 AM

NFL ratings, TV deals, Jersey sales, Rule changes, Expansion, etc

Figured we could have a thread just dedicated to the business side of the league.

I guess those ratings aren't too big of a deal for FOX

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/31/nfl-announces-five-year-deal-with-fox-for-thursday-night-football/]NFL announces five-year deal with FOX for Thursday Night Football – ProFootballTalk[/url]

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/31/report-fox-paying-550-million-a-year-for-thursdays/]Report: Fox paying $550 million a year for Thursdays – ProFootballTalk[/url]

Streaming options are what really need to be addressed next.

Giantone 01-31-2018 11:22 AM

re: NFL ratings, TV deals, Jersey sales, Rule changes, Expansion, etc

Oh well, I doubt I'll watch much of it but good luck to them I know this will piss off the players.

MTK 01-31-2018 11:24 AM

For every player complaint about TNF there are plenty that have no problem with it, especially considering the $$ it puts in their pockets.

metalskins 01-31-2018 11:27 AM

Unless the 'skins are playing, I really don't like Thursday Night Football. I just think it's an over-saturation of the sport and league. I liked it better when college football had the big game on Thursday nights on ESPN.

Chico23231 01-31-2018 11:31 AM

[url]https://sports.yahoo.com/players-long-said-thursday-games-111626413.html[/url]
[B]Players have long said Thursday games have more injuries, in 2017 they were right[/B]

Its disgusting the league doesn't care. Thursday night football is a flawed product and proven more dangerous to the players. boycottable imo

Giantone 01-31-2018 11:32 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1187356][url]https://sports.yahoo.com/players-long-said-thursday-games-111626413.html[/url]
[B]Players have long said Thursday games have more injuries, in 2017 they were right[/B]

Its disgusting the league doesn't care. Thursday night football is a flawed product and proven more dangerous to the players. boycottable imo[/quote]

I would love to see it!

MTK 01-31-2018 11:50 AM

Dr. Christina Mack, an epidemiologist who works with the league on injury data, said an uptick in injuries on Thursdays in 2017 should not be viewed as more meaningful than the years of research the NFL has that more players are injured on other days of the week.

“This season, for the first time, we saw a one-year shift, where injury rates on Thursdays were slightly higher than games played on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday,” Mack said. “The four-year aggregate rates are the strongest metrics due to the small number of games played on Thursdays and in general when we look at these rates, so the one-year sample size of the Thursday data is more variable. The difference was not statistically significant. That said, again coming up to the Combine, we are going to continue looking at and analyzing these data to understand what the impact of intervals between games and rest is with focus on Thursday night in a broader context.”

Chico23231 01-31-2018 11:57 AM

Body just haven’t recovered 100% from previous week. Double up Monday night games or move to Friday

Giantone 01-31-2018 04:44 PM

Re: NFL ratings, TV deals, Jersey sales, Rule changes, Expansion, etc

[quote=Chico23231;1187370]Body just haven’t recovered 100% from previous week. Double up Monday night games or move to Friday[/quote]

NFL will never go to Friday games .College and High school games would kill their viewership more than anything else.

dmek25 02-01-2018 08:12 AM

chico, the players talk a lot of crap about those thursday games. with the amount of money that they generate, would they be willing to negotiate, thru the union, doing away with them? that would also include some sort of reduction in pay? i highly doubt it

Giantone 02-01-2018 08:18 AM

[quote=dmek25;1187541]chico, the players talk a lot of crap about those thursday games. with the amount of money that they generate, would they be willing to negotiate, thru the union, doing away with them? that would also include some sort of reduction in pay? i highly doubt it[/quote]

No reduction in pay. The amount of games played would still remain the same just on a different day so "generated monies" would still come in.

Giantone 02-01-2018 08:21 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1187370]Body just haven’t recovered 100% from previous week. Double up Monday night games or move to Friday[/quote]

[url]https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-ignoring-injury-concerns-new-thursday-night-football-deal-192633655.html[/url]

This is a good read and covers alot of what Matty posted plus some.

Chico23231 02-01-2018 10:08 AM

[quote=dmek25;1187541]chico, the players talk a lot of crap about those thursday games. with the amount of money that they generate, would they be willing to negotiate, thru the union, doing away with them? that would also include some sort of reduction in pay? i highly doubt it[/quote]

Maybe...but as fans what's your general feeling of the product Thursday night?

Most teams look unprepared..tired...not focused. Usually its just not good football.

So fuck the fans too I guess.

Schneed10 02-01-2018 10:15 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1187560]Maybe...but as fans what's your general feeling of the product Thursday night?

Most teams look unprepared..tired...not focused. Usually its just not good football.

So fuck the fans too I guess.[/quote]

I'm sorry man but you've earned it at this point.

[IMG]http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/38/980x490/landscape-1474301239-dawson-cry-face.jpg[/IMG]

MTK 02-01-2018 10:22 AM

Thursday night games put about $120k in every player’s pockets. It’s one game a year and they get an extended layoff after that game. Hard to feel sorry for them.

skinsfaninok 02-01-2018 10:24 AM

I watched most of the TNF games this yr, yeah they mainly sucked but I was still keeping up with it. I'd rather them have a double header on MNF every week instead.

MTK 02-01-2018 10:49 AM

Thursday night actually had some good games this year.

Giantone 02-01-2018 03:09 PM

[quote=MTK;1187566]Thursday night games put about $120k in every player’s pockets. It’s one game a year and they get an extended layoff after that game. Hard to feel sorry for them.[/quote]

All the players make good money and I don't feel sorry for any of them .My question is how is that $120 grand different then if those games were played in a double header on Monday night or Sunday night Football? All teams played 16 games so I am trying to understand the money reason here,16 games would be played any way Sunday Night and Monday Night is considerd "Primetime" so how is the money different?

Chico23231 02-01-2018 03:18 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1187562]I'm sorry man but you've earned it at this point.

[IMG]http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/38/980x490/landscape-1474301239-dawson-cry-face.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

fuck off

sdskinsfan2001 02-01-2018 03:58 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1187650]fuck off[/quote]

Strong, simple rebuttal, nice!

CRedskinsRule 02-01-2018 03:59 PM

[quote=Giantone;1187543]No reduction in pay. The amount of games played would still remain the same just on a different day so "generated monies" would still come in.[/quote]

well, a network televised national game would have a different revenue model then a sunday afternoon 1pm game. For example, Fox is not paying 500million to broadcast 11 random matchups at 1pm Sunday.

edit: just read your followup to Matty's. A double header Monday would probably have the same draw as the Thursday night. But would Fox (for example) pay 500Million for 11 matchups on early Monday when half the nation might still be at work, or a later game for the west coast where the east coast markets have gone to bed? Maybe. I think thats what the NFL was trying to find out with the opening week double headers on Monday Night, but I don't think they have said any specific results.

As for Sunday, pretty hard to see any time slot except early am, for a broadcaster to pay 500Million for.

Giantone 02-01-2018 07:23 PM

Just my opinion and nothing else.If they paid that for a Thursday ,they will pay it for any "prime time slot"on a Monday or a Sunday.Any network would have to pay for "additional games.

CRedskinsRule 02-01-2018 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=Giantone;1187670]Just my opinion and nothing else.If they paid that for a Thursday ,they will pay it for any "prime time slot"on a Monday or a Sunday.Any network would have to pay for "additional games.[/QUOTE]I mean I agree they would pay something but there is extra value, I think, in being the only game on that day. No option for the diehard fans except to watch that game.

dmek25 02-02-2018 07:38 AM

i personally like the idea of thursday night football. its just most of the match ups are horrible. too bad there isnt a way to flex it some how. ensuring better quality games

BaltimoreSkins 02-02-2018 08:52 AM

[quote=Giantone;1187670]Just my opinion and nothing else.If they paid that for a Thursday ,they will pay it for any "prime time slot"on a Monday or a Sunday.Any network would have to pay for "additional games.[/quote]

I think they are paying to be the only show in town. Every bar will have that one game on that night, every casual football fan will click over to it for a bit. If it had to go head to head against another prime time game and another network that would decrease the value and how much a network is willing to pay to have rights. It definitely would decrease $ for the players how much? I don't know.

MTK 02-06-2018 12:00 PM

SB still a big draw

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/06/super-bowl-lii-finishes-as-tenth-most-watched-tv-show/[/url]

mooby 02-06-2018 05:35 PM

[quote=MTK;1188089]SB still a big draw

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/06/super-bowl-lii-finishes-as-tenth-most-watched-tv-show/[/url][/quote]

This looks like something that can be read both ways. 2018 SB is 10th most watched program of all time, but 1-8 are all previous Super Bowls (which means this one didn't draw 'em in like it used to.)

MTK 02-06-2018 08:02 PM

lol top 10 show of all time, meh, not impressed

BaltimoreSkins 02-06-2018 08:20 PM

The most amazing from that link a TV show that ended in 1983 is on that list.

Giantone 02-06-2018 08:29 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1188118]The most amazing from that link a TV show that ended in 1983 is on that list.[/quote]

It was an AMAZING SHOW!

mooby 02-06-2018 09:19 PM

[quote=MTK;1188117]lol top 10 show of all time, meh, not impressed[/quote]

Not when 1-8 is the same program from previous years.

All I'm saying is it's an impressive draw, but not as impressive as it used to be. Follow the logical conclusion.

If you need laments terms "it's still better than everything else, but the gap is closing."

skinsfaninok 02-07-2018 09:04 AM

[url=http://deadline.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-eagles-patriots-this-is-us-nbc-1202278181/]Ratings: Super Bowl Slips To 7-Year Low As Eagles Score Historic Win | Deadline[/url]

Smallest in 9 years yikes

skinsfaninok 02-14-2018 02:24 PM

[url=http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/opinion-the-nfl%e2%80%99s-biggest-threat-is-apathy/ar-BBJ7XMs?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp]Opinion: The NFL’s Biggest Threat Is Apathy[/url]

“Adults who report following the NFL closely has dropped 9% since 2014, the poll finds. More alarming for the league, however, is the makeup of the people moving away from the NFL in large numbers: Just 51% of men aged 18 to 49 say they follow the NFL closely, down from 75% four years ago. The poll did not ask respondents why their interest changed. The Journal/NBC News poll interviewed 900 adults from Jan. 13-17. The margin of error for the full sample was plus or minus 3.27 percentage points.”

skinsfaninok 02-19-2018 09:56 AM

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/directv-raises-price-for-nfl-sunday-ticket/]DirecTV raises price for NFL Sunday Ticket – ProFootballTalk[/url]

this sucks

Dan73 02-19-2018 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfaninok;1188802][url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/directv-raises-price-for-nfl-sunday-ticket/]DirecTV raises price for NFL Sunday Ticket – ProFootballTalk[/url]

this sucks[/QUOTE]And they wonder why more people stream.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

MTK 02-20-2018 08:23 AM

The NFL package is worth every penny to me, wish I could still have a dish. Streaming can be a little frustrating and unreliable.

skinsfaninok 02-20-2018 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=MTK;1188861]The NFL package is worth every penny to me, wish I could still have a dish. Streaming can be a little frustrating and unreliable.[/QUOTE]I have ordered it for 12 straight years. I can't go without it. Last year I got it free because of my move to NY.

Y can't u have a dish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

MTK 02-20-2018 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=skinsfaninok;1188863]I have ordered it for 12 straight years. I can't go without it. Last year I got it free because of my move to NY.

Y can't u have a dish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I can actually but our HOA gives a sweet group rate on cable so it doesn’t make sense to have the dish anymore

TheGuyFromOverThere 02-20-2018 03:38 PM

[quote=MTK;1188861]The NFL package is worth every penny to me, wish I could still have a dish. Streaming can be a little frustrating and unreliable.[/quote]

Living outside of the U.S. is a real treat in that regard. NFL Gamepass this year was EUR 159 (about USD 200) and gave (actually gives until July) access to all games incl. Red Zone channel live and on-demand full game (except for commercials) or condensed to about 40 minutes (basically every play and important penalty calls / challenges). On-demand is awesome due to the time difference especially for the sunday late and prime-time games.

They had some technical difficulties in the first 3 games and refunded about 25%, which made the deal even a bit sweeter.

metalskins 02-21-2018 10:25 AM

Why can't DirecTV allow everybody the opportunity to just purchase the Sunday Ticket? I would gladly pay for the Sunday ticket and stream it via Roku or PS4 if they would sell it to me, but because I'm at an address where I'm eligible for DTV service, they won't let me have just NFL Sunday Ticket. I have to be a DTV customer, and quite frankly, their price gouging after a year is why I no longer subscribe to their service.